BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing Upgraded to windows 10 and installed office for free.

05-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Upgraded to windows 10 and installed office for free.

So in my list of things to do while I'm quarantined I decided to install Windows 10 on my 2011 Macbook Pro. Was able to upgrade from 7 for free even though the free upgrade offer ended a few years ago. Also installed Office 2013 using a license I had acquired through the home use program for less than a 1 month subscription to Office 365 (or you could say free since I paid $9.95 for it I believe in 2014, so I already owned it in 2020) As it turns out, it's still supported by Microsoft. Feels like a whole new computer and didn't have to buy anything. What tech related endeavors are you all up to lately?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 08:02 AM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

My tech projects tend to be extreme.

In the middle of setting up 2FA on my home network system. The SSL VPN solution I'm using to gain remote access to my home network is a SonicWall SMA 8000v (formerly Aventail). From work, I've been working with Cisco and they provided me with a Duo account to get Duo established on my home network. So the idea is to integrate Duo as part of the 2FA system to VPN into my network. Those that have worked with Okta will be familiar with the setup.

I also received a Fortnet 61E firewall which I need to get stood up and configured plus get back to an unfinished project of setting up my Cisco UCS environment with 2 C240 M5 servers and a 6332-16UP FI.

Last edited by zx10guy; 06-16-2020 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
F30Andy1748.50
      05-04-2020, 02:33 AM   #3
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

I had built my gaming rig entirely new last Dec and had to "upgrade" the OS to Windows 10 forced by no longer support of the mainboard drivers.
Hence I want a clean install and no W7/W10 mixture caused by free updates, I bought a pro S/N key for 5 bucks at ebays and downloaded from MS the OEM Pro version.
Did the same for Office 365 and bought a used key for 12 bucks out of a lot from a former dead company.
Using Acrobat XI also for free, found a very good and free version online.
Cheapest upgrade of software so far.
I would never consider to pay monthly for software, no way.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
DirtDave
Registered
India
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I have also upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my laptop for Free. Yes the offer is still on. The best thing is that it works like a regular Windows update and all my programs and data was intact.