BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Costco Tire Installation Feedback?

09-28-2020, 09:07 AM   #23
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

I've used Costco and BJs tires and never had issues with wheel damage. Can't beat their prices, warranty, and free roadside.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #24
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

My wife's car we always go to Costco. Acura sedan that neither of us care that much about. Never had a problem.

I take my cars to an independent suspension tire guy who I have the tires direct shipped from Tire Rack to his place and then just go there. Would take both cars there but it's a little more of a drive, there isn't anything to do while there and neither are worth the hassle of coming back home while the work is being done.

With almost any store the good/bad depend on the person doing the work, I prefer the independent as it almost always is the same guy or one that has a lot of supervision from the owner.
      09-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #25
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I haven't had any issues with my local Costco damaging wheels, but they did mount one if my tires inside out one time. I didn't notice it till I went to rotate my tires 5k miles later and was like, "Wait a min, why does this tire say 'outside' on the inside?"
Huh?

edit - or do you mean you had directional tread for left / right and they mounted one flipped backwards...? That's not what popped into mind when I read "inside out".
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 06:58 PM   #26
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Huh?

edit - or do you mean you had directional tread for left / right and they mounted one flipped backwards...? That's not what popped into mind when I read "inside out".
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (as well as other tires) have an inside (towards car) and an outside (away from car) facing sidewall. This is because they change the tread compound across the width of the tire. The outer tread blocks may have a harder compound to resist wearing on cornering loads better, or promote grip in those situations. There's text on the sidewalls that say which way they should be facing.

Directional tires can't have an inside/outside facing sidewall because that changes depending on what side of the vehicle they're put on.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #27
Drv4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 (original owner)

I have had much better service at Costco than DT.
If you have concerns talk to the tire shop manager asking for a bit of extra care. Otherwise go to a pro wheel shop that has a touchless machine and road force balancing.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:28 PM   #28
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (as well as other tires) have an inside (towards car) and an outside (away from car) facing sidewall. This is because they change the tread compound across the width of the tire. The outer tread blocks may have a harder compound to resist wearing on cornering loads better, or promote grip in those situations. There's text on the sidewalls that say which way they should be facing.

Directional tires can't have an inside/outside facing sidewall because that changes depending on what side of the vehicle they're put on.
Gotcha, thanks. Guess I never really paid much attention to that...my bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 05:02 PM   #29
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I've had nothing but exceptional experiences whenever I shop at Costco, including using the tire shop. My father had the same first-rate experience at a different Costco. They're usually a $150-200 less than anyone else and they fill your tires with nitrogen.
      09-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #30
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I’m on my way over to Costco right now to get my fronts installed. And I’ll probably a hotdog and soda for a buck-fifty too. ��
      09-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #31
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT

great place to go if you like your wheels scratched to hell.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 08:09 PM   #32
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunginator View Post
great place to go if you like your wheels scratched to hell.
Not this time either. Got back home a while ago and wheels are spotless. They also used a torque wrench instead of the air gun.
      10-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #33
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Very long wait and they substituted my metal (actual metal) stem caps for some green plastic shit. The rest was done correctly, including torqued lugs to spec with 2-stage procedure.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 11:08 PM   #34
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

So a followup to my tire install. One of my front tires was losing air so I brought it back to them. They dismounted the tire and replaced the TPMS seal, yet it was still losing pressure. There was no damage to the tire or wheel. They put some bead sealer on it and it's holding the air for now. They agreed that the long term safety necessitated a new tire no questions asked. They were very apologetic.

I can't ask for anything more and they stand behind their work. They previously mounted my rear tires without any complications. In the past I have had tires that were defective installed at a dealer, and it was PITA waiting for the dealer to put in a warranty claim with the tire manufacturer.
      11-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #35
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by POBEP View Post
I would say that it depends on the location, and likely actual mechanic who is doing the job.

I recently did 275/45R19 on 622M for my F25 at Costco and the job was very well done.
(This is in contrast with reputable shop that always leaves marks somewhere.)

There was very minor scratch "inside" the rim where technician removed oversized factory weight. Not sure if it was at all possible to remove that weight without any damage. One can not see it unless you are looking for it. Outside - absolutely zero scratches.

Ordered online, scheduled appointment. 2 weeks later parked next to tire center, went shopping, came back in 1 hour - car was ready.

To sum up, my biggest "complaint" were ugly green replacement valve steam caps (ordered OEM set for under $2) .

I am definitely coming back to the same Costco location next time I need new tires.
No rotations (staggered), I have roadside assistance, my own patch kit and air compressor.
I went to Costco yet again, this time in Carson City, NV.
(my summer visit was in SFO location)

Needed winter set for my E70 (I had spare factory rims).

I brought my own set TPMS sensors.
No questions asked, less than one hour, zero scratches.
They even marked tires FRONT/REAR with chalk

The same "complaint" as last time - Costco put their green valve caps.
But technician saved silver ones that came with TPMS kit.

Advise - appointment is a must.
Few customers showed up as store opened without one - the wait time was 4+ hours.

BTW, the E70 tire set fits inside the E91:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #36
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Cold weather made me run over to Costco to top off my tires on Saturday. Even using their DIY hoses is a pleasure. Their pressure regulation was exactly spot on with my very-accurate gauge too.