BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Winter storage

09-27-2020, 03:46 AM   #1
Paul G29
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i & X5 45e

Winter storage

I have to store my car during winter time and have some experience with other cars. I was just wondering if there is anything special for this car? The manual says to speak to the dealer and I did. Be sure to charge the battery was the only suggestion. I usually do this:

- Inflating tires to max pressure
- Taking out the battery and charge it regulary (I donīt know the power consumption on this specific car when stationary)
- Moving the vehicle to avoid flat spots on tires (could be a problem with the automatic transmission)
- Leaving a gap on both windows to avoid cabin humidity
- Pajamas
- Not using parking brake and no wet brake discs (could cause the brakes to stick)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 05:46 AM   #2
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
I would not remove the battery. Better to hook up a good quality electronic smart charger that can be left fitted to the car. A CTEK smart charger is what I use if the car is left idle for more than a month.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2020, 01:14 PM   #3
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
I would not remove the battery. Better to hook up a good quality electronic smart charger that can be left fitted to the car. A CTEK smart charger is what I use if the car is left idle for more than a month.
+1 I have a CTEK for the G29 and F55 that sit unused for longer periods in my garage. My Tundra that sits outside the garage in sunlight all day for long unused periods is on a solar charger "Deltran Battery Tender"

The CTEK is better for AGM batteries ... the Tundra has a standard lead acid battery
Appreciate 0