BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum BMW Z5 Production Reportedly Outsourced to Magna Steyr

05-16-2016, 04:13 AM   #45
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
^^ I like the sketch of the 4-door Z you posted earlier much more, the front on that thing is perfect
That was an artists initial impression before adding the more realistic properties of the new 5er Gran Turismo.
      05-16-2016, 05:53 AM   #46
Erpicum
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 628csi e24

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
^^ I like the sketch of the 4-door Z you posted earlier much more, the front on that thing is perfect
where can I see that sketch?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 10:48 AM   #47
yousefnjr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MR, 19 i3S, 20 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpicum View Post
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...9&postcount=46

Too bad it's not going to be like that 10/10 would bang
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #48
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Well, if it has BMW quality then I suppose it can't be bad...
      05-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #49
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr
Quote:

Looks like a "7er GT" to me
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #50
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS
Quote:
Quote:

iNext/9er...

I'm partially fond of this one
Attached Images

05-16-2016, 03:42 PM   #51
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
No one competes with the boxster/cayman because Porsche has already proven no one buys them. Total global production of cayman/boxsters in 2015 was around 20k split almost evenly vs 150k+ 2-series cars. The market is so small it's not even worth competing. I hope BMW does make a worthy competitor but from a price/offering perspective it will need to appeal to a broader range than in the past to support sales and an M variant.
What sales? Remember: Production capacity at Graz is limited. So doesn't that beg the question that mayyyybe this Z5 is actually going to try to compete with the Boxster at the very least? And why wouldn't it make sense that if Toyota produces a coupe version of this car, then BMW should follow suit to give the Cayman -- and hell, the Corvette even -- some competition? Or ... maybe BMW's shooting for the Aston Martin/F-Type/911 market -- which would be a mistake since part of the car's development and, now, production will be outsourced. Hell: Boxsters and Caymans are built in Finland, after all?

See, I don't think BMW dares produce this car to appeal to the masses because A). It'll be too close to Toyota's variants in capability and price, and B). It would shoot itself in the foot with production capacity if it takes off.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #52
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS
Quote:
Quote:

iNext/9er...

I'm partially fond of this one
Some nice ideas over there indeed. Although I thought the 9er would resemble the VFL concept a bit more. This obviously isn't scaled down to have a proper size perspective, but looks more in line with the 6er.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #53
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
No one competes with the boxster/cayman because Porsche has already proven no one buys them. Total global production of cayman/boxsters in 2015 was around 20k split almost evenly vs 150k+ 2-series cars. The market is so small it's not even worth competing. I hope BMW does make a worthy competitor but from a price/offering perspective it will need to appeal to a broader range than in the past to support sales and an M variant.
What sales? Remember: Production capacity at Graz is limited. So doesn't that beg the question that mayyyybe this Z5 is actually going to try to compete with the Boxster at the very least? And why wouldn't it make sense that if Toyota produces a coupe version of this car, then BMW should follow suit to give the Cayman -- and hell, the Corvette even -- some competition? Or ... maybe BMW's shooting for the Aston Martin/F-Type/911 market -- which would be a mistake since part of the car's development and, now, production will be outsourced. Hell: Boxsters and Caymans are built in Finland, after all?

See, I don't think BMW dares produce this car to appeal to the masses because A). It'll be too close to Toyota's variants in capability and price, and B). It would shoot itself in the foot with production capacity if it takes off.
Obviously just speculation, but it seems this Z5 will be a bit bigger overall than the Z4..so it might be going for something in between the boxster and f-type/911. Since it would be more of a unexplored niche market, could explain why they aren't so afraid to outsource the production somewhere they know it has limited capacity to do so. Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #54
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

If you mean this impression?

It was meant to be an impression of the upcoming new 5er Gran Turismo using the info gained from spy photographs in which we can see details evident here on the actual prototype. Of course its an initial impression it has yet to be brought to the more realistic aspects needed for a production car such as height, overhangs and overall proportion.
Attached Images

05-16-2016, 05:30 PM   #55
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

The iNext will be derived from the Next 100. It will be luxury car of the next decade in which design,technology and innovation will be of that era.
It will be BMWi so it will be aerodynamic as well as as futuristic. Its a four door for four.
Again with the BMWi philosophy of lightweight materials utilising CFRP structure and body panels.

Here it is being manoeuvred for the BMW Next 100 Years tour which opened in Beijing.
Attached Images

05-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #56
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

A modern day GINA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The iNext will be derived from the Next 100. It will be luxury car of the next decade in which design,technology and innovation will be of that era.
It will be BMWi so it will be aerodynamic as well as as futuristic. Its a four door for four.
Again with the BMWi philosophy of lightweight materials utilising CFRP structure and body panels.

Here it is being manoeuvred for the BMW Next 100 Years tour which opened in Beijing.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 01:00 AM   #57
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
If they make a worthy competitor in the roadster segment, the Z4 may actually be worth it for the brand. But no, they wasted the E89's potential and it seems they will do it again with the "Z5."
Appreciate 0