BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Z4 M40i Design Flaw Uncovered

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #67
German1967
Captain
German1967's Avatar
United_States
315
Rep
614
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2020 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
I have yet to experience it. If I do I will certainly complain about it.
Maybe you don't drive on unimproved gravel roads.
I typically don't... at least try not to...
__________________
Hoc Lapidem Non Vi Sed Saepe Cadendo!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #68
David1
Brigadier General
David1's Avatar
United_States
570
Rep
3,719
Posts

Drives: 09 E92 09 X5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
Update on the stones in M Sport brakes problem on the Z4 G29.

My dealer tells me that following the report and video that he sent over to BMW AG for review. Their response is that it is unlikely that the design of the shields will be carried out as they have not received sufficient complaints from owners to justify this.

Very disappointing response from BMW.
BMW has updated the shields a couple times since late 2016. They are done messing with them.
__________________
2017 M2 Alpine White|Black with Blue Stitching Dakota Leather|Executive Pkg|DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #69
DPelletier
First Lieutenant
Canada
317
Rep
300
Posts

Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Kelowna, B.C. Canada

iTrader: (0)

I've (unfortunately) found myself on gravel a half dozen times since purchasing the car - primarily due to road contruction. No issue so far but I'll definitely let everyone know if I have a problem.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410415.00
Jim S283.00

      07-11-2019, 05:09 AM   #70
Jim S
Member
Jim S's Avatar
Scotland
283
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: Z4 M40i G29
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
I've (unfortunately) found myself on gravel a half dozen times since purchasing the car - primarily due to road contruction. No issue so far but I'll definitely let everyone know if I have a problem.

Cheers,
Dave
Thanks Dave. There seems to be more problems in the UK than USA, might be something to do with the standard of our roads.

In two separate recent cases in the UK, on dealer test drives of the G29 each driver experienced the problem and were not happy about it to the extent that it put them off buying the car. They both reported the problem to their dealer when they returned the cars but I'm afraid the complaints have fallen on deaf ears.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #71
Jim S
Member
Jim S's Avatar
Scotland
283
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: Z4 M40i G29
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Well, I have just been out in my car for the first time in three weeks as I've been away on holiday. Sadly, I have to report that yet another stone got trapped in the front nearside brakes. I pulled away from traffic lights and heard the screaming noise and, of course, knew right away what it was. Could not stop as I was in a line of traffic but the stone came out after about half a mile of driving.

Reported this yet again, 5th time, to my dealer by email. At some point you would expect that they need to do something about this, but I won't hold my breath. Shame on BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #72
Jim S
Member
Jim S's Avatar
Scotland
283
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: Z4 M40i G29
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The ironic thing about this is that I really like everything about the car apart from the problem with the brakes and a couple of other minor niggles. It is a real pleasure to drive, performs exceptionally well and I am very happy with it otherwise. It is a real pity that a nice experience is being tainted with one big problem. We can but hope that BMW eventually get round to fixing it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:24 PM   #73
SD ///M4
///Multiple
SD ///M4's Avatar
United_States
2589
Rep
3,948
Posts

Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Maybe you don't drive on unimproved gravel roads.
You don't have to drive on gravel roads to experience this problem. During the Euro Delivery of my 2016 M4 in May 2016 were were driving on a paved mountain road in Italy, but it had a lot of pebbles on it from the "shoulders" of the road and I picked up one which made me immediately pull off the side of the road when I was able. Then I remembered that I had read about this on the F80/F82 forum and realized what it was. Fortunately, stopping allowed the pebble to drop out. Sounded pretty horrible though and this happened less than a week after I took delivery. I thought something catastrophic had happened to my car. The first time I had the rear wheels off after I got the car home, I just bent back the backing plate slightly and I haven't experienced this since then. There's a TSB on this and updated part numbers for the F80/F82 M3/M4. My wife's 2018 M3 has not experienced this problem so she probably has the updated backing plates.

Other people I know have experienced this when doing canyon runs, which invariably has rocks/stones/pebbles on the roads. This happened so someone else just this past weekend on a club drive on the windy, twisty roads of east San Diego county, all paved roads.
__________________
The Coupe: 2016 M4 | Sakhir Orange | Black Full Merino Leather | CF Trim | M-DCT | More | ED 5/13/16
The Sedan: 2018 M3 | San Marino Blue | Black Full Merino Leather | CF Trim | M-DCT | ZCP | ED 7/18/18
The Roadster: 2006 Z4 | Interlagos Blue | Black Extended Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Purchased 7/19/12


Last edited by SD ///M4; 07-26-2019 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #74
SakhirM4
Major General
SakhirM4's Avatar
United_States
10415
Rep
8,809
Posts

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
You don't have to drive on gravel roads to experience this problem. During the Euro Delivery of my 2016 M4 in May 2016 were were driving on a paved mountain road in Italy, but it had a lot of pebbles on it from the "shoulders" of the road and I picked up one which made me immediately pull off the side of the road when I was able. Then I remembered that I had read about this on the F80/F82 forum and realized what it was. Fortunately, stopping allowed the pebble to drop out. Sounded pretty horrible though and this happened less than a week after I took delivery. I thought something catastrophic had happened to my car. The first time I had the rear wheels off after I got the car home, I just bent back the backing plate slightly and I haven't experienced this since then. There's a TSB on this and updated part numbers for the F80/F82 M3/M4. My wife's 2018 M3 has not experienced this problem so she probably has the updated backing plates.

Other people I know have experienced this when doing canyon runs, which invariably has rocks/stones/pebbles on the roads. This happened just this past weekend on a club drive on the windy, twisty roads of east San Diego county, all paved roads.
I guess I have just been extremely fortunate, because in the 5 years that I have had my M4, I have only had it happen once. That was on a front wheel and it fell out pretty quickly. I obviously have an early 2015 and I never updated the backing plates. Just fortunate I guess.

Edit: I also don't see it as a brake problem or the brakes being broken. It has no bearing on the operation of the brakes or their effectiveness.
__________________
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 04:23 AM   #75
Jim S
Member
Jim S's Avatar
Scotland
283
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: Z4 M40i G29
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Update on the stones (rocks) getting stuck in my Z4 G29 M Sport brakes.

In the first 1,270 miles of driving my new Z4 M40i I got rocks trapped in my M Sport (front) brakes 5 times and it was an absolutely horrendous experience.

I am now pleased to report that I have had no more occurrences in the last 1,000 miles. I think as the initial stickiness of the Michelin Pilot SS tyres wear off the problem becomes less prevalent. Keeping my fingers crossed anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 03:33 AM   #76
spbbonzo
Enlisted Member
12
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Midlands

iTrader: (0)

This happened to me last night after approx 1500 miles.

A screeching noise began to emanate from the front nearside wheel (I think) which lasted for a couple of miles before I reached home.

The problem persisted for about a mile this morning and then disappeared.

I rang BMW this morning who directed me to my nearest dealer. I'm the second Z4 owner they know of who has complained about this issue. The response was:

1) If the problem arises again stop the car and call BMW Roadside Assistance

2) Any damage to discs caused by a stone\whatever isn't covered under warranty because it's deemed an external influence

I'm not happy with the response so will have to keep an eye on this. How many times does this have to happen, how many BMW callouts and potentially how many replaced discs has to happen before BMW change their approach?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 05:54 AM   #77
Jim S
Member
Jim S's Avatar
Scotland
283
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: Z4 M40i G29
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbonzo View Post
This happened to me last night after approx 1500 miles.

A screeching noise began to emanate from the front nearside wheel (I think) which lasted for a couple of miles before I reached home.

The problem persisted for about a mile this morning and then disappeared.

I rang BMW this morning who directed me to my nearest dealer. I'm the second Z4 owner they know of who has complained about this issue. The response was:

1) If the problem arises again stop the car and call BMW Roadside Assistance

2) Any damage to discs caused by a stone\whatever isn't covered under warranty because it's deemed an external influence

I'm not happy with the response so will have to keep an eye on this. How many times does this have to happen, how many BMW callouts and potentially how many replaced discs has to happen before BMW change their approach?
I really feel for you as I know very well just how horrendous this experience is. If you read through the whole thread you will see that I have spent a considerable amount of time on this issue. I have taken it to my local dealer, then to BMW UK who passed it on to BMW AG. All I got in the end was a "sorry to hear you are having such problems" and some financial compensation.

In one of the responses I got from BMW they actually admitted that it would cost them a lot of money if they had to change the design of the brake shields in the M Sport brakes as there are many thousands of their cars on the road with the same brakes. This shows that they are only concerned about costs and profit, not how much inconvenience this issue is causing their customers. Shame on BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #78
Topcat223
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Wales

iTrader: (0)

Brakes squealing

My Z4 is now three weeks old completed 966 miles and last night had to be recovered after front passenger wheel started squealing so bad I Had to stop. Horrendous noise.
Will let you know what the result is with BMW guess from previous posts itís going to cost me.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #79
Jim S
Member
Jim S's Avatar
Scotland
283
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: Z4 M40i G29
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It should not cost you anything. This is a known and well documented flaw in the M Sport front brakes caused by a stone getting stuck between the brake disc and the metal heat shield.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 11:52 PM   #80
CDN-AWD
Enthusiast
CDN-AWD's Avatar
Canada
195
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi TT Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Had this issue occur on one of my Audis, happened like 3 times in the life of the car.
Read online that stopping and reversing would usually dislodge the stone, it worked for me every time after learning about the quick fix.
Best of luck to those with the issue.
__________________
Currently Drives: 2017 Audi TT Coupe
BMW of Interest: G42 2 Series Coupe xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #81
justjoem
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4 M40i 2020
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Abilene, Texas

iTrader: (0)

This has happened once on my Z4 M40i. I had pulled off of the highway onto a gravel road to turn around when the right front brake began screeching horribly. Having read about this on the forums, I knew immediately what was going on. I put the car in reverse, backed up and applied the brakes. This dislodged the stone. It is hard to believe that BMW has not heard about this as it is mentioned in more than one place on BMW forums.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #82
Topcat223
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Wales

iTrader: (0)

Brakes

Jim, my z4 is at bmw now with this problem. Who do I need to contact to ensure it is reported. Recovered from roadside Friday night just got a courtesy car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #83
Jim S
Member
Jim S's Avatar
Scotland
283
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: Z4 M40i G29
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat223 View Post
Jim, my z4 is at bmw now with this problem. Who do I need to contact to ensure it is reported. Recovered from roadside Friday night just got a courtesy car.
You need to book your car in at your bmw dealer to have it checked out otherwise nothing gets reported to bmw. I found that out after I had this problem several times.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #84
SakhirM4
Major General
SakhirM4's Avatar
United_States
10415
Rep
8,809
Posts

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoem View Post
This has happened once on my Z4 M40i. I had pulled off of the highway onto a gravel road to turn around when the right front brake began screeching horribly. Having read about this on the forums, I knew immediately what was going on. I put the car in reverse, backed up and applied the brakes. This dislodged the stone. It is hard to believe that BMW has not heard about this as it is mentioned in more than one place on BMW forums.
They most definitely HAVE - see post #32 in this thread.
__________________
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #85
arykish
Registered
2
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: MI, USA

iTrader: (0)

I managed to capture a video of the squeal and photo of the chip between the shield and the rotor disc.
https://youtu.be/Xo4l9LYHrII

Any suggestion what to do?
Appreciate 1
pukeko18.00

      08-29-2020, 08:23 PM   #86
QueueCumber
Private First Class
56
Rep
103
Posts

Drives: Current: Z4 M40i; 997.2 GT3 RS
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Had this issue a few days ago. Very LOUD awful sound like a ripsaw cutting through metal. It stopped on its own, but I canít imagine the SCREACHING is good advertising for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #87
STR3T
Private First Class
STR3T's Avatar
37
Rep
188
Posts

Drives: 2020 Z4 sDrive30i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ~St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Happened to me about three weeks ago...visiting some friends who moved off a partial gravel road. The noise was godawful...and it had my heart sinking until I recalled this thread. Thank god. I stopped/started 3-4 times...hit 65mph on a back road....finally it dislodged. I’ll try to remember the reverse trick if it happens again! Makes sense...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 08:57 AM   #88
Yonder End
New Member
Yonder End's Avatar
Scotland
5
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4 20i M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Cairngorms National Park

iTrader: (0)

Happened to me last week while heading for Islay. While I don't have the M40i, I do have the M Sport package with the appropriate brakes. After about 25 miles, the stone eventually dislodged itself after trying all the tricks previously mentioned.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST