BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Using Card Key (as opposed to cell phone based Digital Key)

08-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
sanfordrich
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z3

Using Card Key (as opposed to cell phone based Digital Key)

Anyone using the Card Key? I understand the Digital Key is not available at this time for Iphones. However, I was curious about using the Card Key (it looks like a credit card), but the information in the owner's manual seems to be limited. The owner's manual talks about relating a Digital Key installed on your Android phone to the plastic Card Key and that the Card Key is used in a similar way to Digital Key. Unfortunately, that is not relevant to me since I have an Iphone and the Digital Key is not available for an Iphone (at least that's my understanding as of right now). Therefore, how does one activate the Card Key without a Digital Key installed on a cellphone? Maybe it's already activated, but then my question would be: how does one use it? If it is activated, my Z4 does not seem to recognize my Card Key even though I have placed it where it's suppose be placed (on the cell phone charger). So...., I assume I somehow need to activate my Card Key but it's not clear how to do that. Maybe one can't activate the Card Key without a Digital Key and therefore it won't work if one uses an Iphone. After all that being said, curious if anyone is using their Card Key and insight you can provide. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Card key and digital key are separate entities, but perform similar functions. The card key that you received with your car should be ready to use, just make sure it is activated in your access settings. The card key can then be used to lock and unlock doors, also used to start vehicle when placed on wi-fi pad. A digital key has to be installed and activated on your cell phone using the Connected Drive phone app. Your phone can then be used to perform same functions as the card key.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
You have to link the key card to your driver profile in the settings for driver profiles. Tick the box to link your key card to the driver profile that you want.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
ToysArs60.50
      08-25-2019, 04:13 PM   #4
sanfordrich
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrowJon View Post
Card key and digital key are separate entities, but perform similar functions. The card key that you received with your car should be ready to use, just make sure it is activated in your access settings. The card key can then be used to lock and unlock doors, also used to start vehicle when placed on wi-fi pad. A digital key has to be installed and activated on your cell phone using the Connected Drive phone app. Your phone can then be used to perform same functions as the card key.
Thank you for the information. I tried using the Card Key again and this time it worked. I'm not sure why I previously had a problem with it. I did notice it doesn't seem to work unless I remove the Card Key from my wallet. That makes it a little less convenient. As far as the Digital Key is concerned, I can't use it because I have an I-phone. I believe Apple is going to change something in the next major release of their software that will enable BMW to eventually have the Digital Key capability work with an I-phone. We will see.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
sanfordrich
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
You have to link the key card to your driver profile in the settings for driver profiles. Tick the box to link your key card to the driver profile that you want.
Hope this helps.
For some reason I wasn't able to get my Z4 to recognize the Card Key and therefore the motivation for this thread. After coming back to this thread and realizing it should work, I tried again, and for some reason it started to work (after prompting me if I wanted to authorize it), but not with my profile. So I did discover the settings you are referring to and all is well..... almost.....unfortunately one has to remove the card from one's wallet to use it. That makes it a little less convenient in my opinion. Oh well.
Appreciate 1
Jim S385.00
      08-26-2019, 05:08 AM   #6
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Recall someone putting the key card inside their cell phone case and that worked.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #7
sanfordrich
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrowJon View Post
Recall someone putting the key card inside their cell phone case and that worked.
Good idea if it works for me. I will try that. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:52 PM   #8
DETSGTSTARSKY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordrich View Post
For some reason I wasn't able to get my Z4 to recognize the Card Key and therefore the motivation for this thread. After coming back to this thread and realizing it should work, I tried again, and for some reason it started to work (after prompting me if I wanted to authorize it), but not with my profile. So I did discover the settings you are referring to and all is well..... almost.....unfortunately one has to remove the card from one's wallet to use it. That makes it a little less convenient in my opinion. Oh well.
May not work with a rfid type wallet. I have to remove a door key card for it to work.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #9
ToysArs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordrich View Post
Good idea if it works for me. I will try that. Thanks.
Curious, did the key work inside the phone case?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:06 PM   #10
sanfordrich
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysArs View Post
Curious, did the key work inside the phone case?
My Iphone 7 "case" is essentially for protecting the phone and does not accommodate cards (credit or key cards). I tried slipping the key card into the case but it got in the way of the camera. I've decided it's not worth the trouble since some functionality of the regular key fob does not work with the key card (specifically, detecting me and automatically unlocking / locking the car when I arrive or leave it).
Appreciate 1
ToysArs60.50
      09-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #11
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Just read that Apple is adding API to the NFC in the iPhone with next iOS release, so developers have more access to NFC functionality.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #12
sanfordrich
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Just read that Apple is adding API to the NFC in the iPhone with next iOS release, so developers have more access to NFC functionality.
Apple and BMW are both part of the Car Connectivity Consortium (CCC) which in theory means (as I understand it) someday one should be able to use an I-phone to access and start a BMW. Maybe the new API in the next IOS release for the Near Field Communication (NFC) will make it easier for BMW to implement the CCC standard in their Iphone app. Hopefully we will see it soon after the next release of iOS, but I'm not holding my breath.
Appreciate 0