BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Live Looks From Pebble Beach: New BMW Z4 and M850i Coupe

08-24-2018, 10:45 PM   #45
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Negative
- Terrible grill
- Hoodline... Again.
- No BMW Headlights. Hello Fiat!
- Weird rear corner angle
- Too busy, too many angles, dated front, weird rear
- Condom cover only, No Coupe

Positive
- There are other options out there!
Appreciate 1
Inablur163.00
      08-25-2018, 09:05 AM   #46
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

I could see my mother driving it.

The one positive takeaway from this is I can still find a nice '06-'07 M Roadster. Or a Boxster S. Or a GT-R. Or a Z06.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 11:27 PM   #47
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

I've commented in the other G29 thread, but since this thread is full of Fiat and Kia references, I thought it would be appropriate to post a few more random pics of the legendary Z8 roadster that I found on Google. Anyone else think the styling of this new Z4 is actually more BMW than people are giving it credit for?

Thin strip tail lights too:

08-25-2018, 11:50 PM   #48
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Some people think the headlights look like the AMG GT.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #49
Inablur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silber Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
Some people think the headlights look like the AMG GT.

Thats an insult to the Mercedes AMG GT, which is a beautiful automobile
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #50
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegotklas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Looks fat and heavy. Looks like Mercedes too. Blame the regulations. Stupid to make rules strict on low vol cars. Make ugly mass produced cars be safe, these cars dont need this cut off high noses etc.

Interior game is on though. Catching up to Audis, still behind Teslas.

Z8 had the look right. Look at it! Perfect.

As Z4 Coupe ex-owner ca 2007 I would agree!! I think all current petrol-diesel cars are obsolete and you should buy what looks nicest, not newest. I dont need a calendar car, that tells me its 2018 outside. I dont need their sh.tty low res screens for 3000 dollars also, which are obsolete in 3 years. Im fine with analog dials. Im fine with a nice lines of porsche 997 and dont need a youtube dbag tell me how newer 991 is dope etc. in 10 years all goes electric, and everything you have on forum here is obsolete and junk. So whats the point buying a brand new petrol engined car? zero unless youre current one is falling apart and you must have it and cant stretch to something hybrid etc. BMW really needs to offer all cars as hybrids at the very least. Its a joke Tesla is around 10 years now and Toyota making hybrids since 2001. BMW still pushes this petrol only crap on us, and we are silly to be buying it. They are decorating a dead end cave. Cars like this new Z4 and 8 series are super pointless.
Not everyone wants electric cars. If I had a tesla I'd never make it across my state in under 8 hours. No way you can do a Pittsburgh to Philadelphia without waiting for the car to charge at least once. Americans will only begin to embrace electric cars when range no longer becomes an issue. Until then I will continue buying cars powered by an IC engine. BTW electric cars are far from green cars that the media would like us to believe. Lithium mining and processing is horrible for the environment. Add to the fact coal is still king when it comes to electricity production (in most parts of the world). You are literally driving a coal consuming car. Hybrids are even worse for the environment. Burns gas but still has that lithium battery in it.

Sure one can compare coal mining to mining heavy metals that are used in batteries. While neither are good for mother nature; coal doesn't have to travel to multiple plants and factories before its consumed. The tesla gigafactory just doesn't bring in mined lithium and throw it in a metal box and say "shabam we have a battery." I can't even imagine the distance that mined lithium travels before its processed and ultimately used in a car battery.
This is just nuts. Pure FUD peddled by the coal and gas lobby!! Yes the lobby and their followers do not want electric cars. The rest do. Even if the lithium has to travel half way across the world, what about the 100,000 miles of non air polluting drive that you get after the car is built???
You sure not one of those Tesla short sellers?
Won't you take a 30 minute bio/food break during your 8 hour drive to be able to use a supercharger?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #51
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
This is just nuts. Pure FUD peddled by the coal and gas lobby!! Yes the lobby and their followers do not want electric cars. The rest do. Even if the lithium has to travel half way across the world, what about the 100,000 miles of non air polluting drive that you get after the car is built???
Won't you take a 30 minute bio/food break during your 8 hour drive to be able to use a supercharger?
I don’t want ane electric car either! EVER !

Not green, not healthy, like you said, lobbyst washing your brains.
Please go and buy your non green EMF tissue damaging vehicle and leave the rest of us alone.

I want a car that is ready for me to go wherever, whenever, not to be dependent on the charge or other BS.
The total embedded CO2 for the making of a gasoline-powered car is 5.6 tonnes. By contrast, it takes 8.8 tonnes to make an electric vehicle and the battery accounts for nearly half of that. So electric vehicles arrive on the street with a higher carbon footprint even before you plug them in. And that footprint gets uglier if the electricity comes from coal-fired power. Not to mention that thee will be a need for a certain recycling procedure and that will ad soon to your vehicle cost (see electronics recycling tax). And pollution after the battery is dead. And mining for materials. And , and...
Now, please take your crappy sparking box from Calgary to Vancouver at -40 Celsius (battery life gets under half, and add to that your heating and lights as well) and tell me how you will enoy a break in the woods while the bear will bring you a jug of power.

I want my vacuum wired, ready to vacuum when I want not when is charged. I dictate my life, my schedule, my breaks.
And no, I don’t want a break. Pathetic excuse.

Take your electric, buy it, use it, do what you please but stop feeding me your lack of knowledge.
Are you happy? Good. No need to get our aproval. Go on your merry way, enjoy your electric box and leave the rest of us alone!

Last edited by Teutonic; 08-26-2018 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 4
JRobUSC861.00
Win42.00
      08-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #52
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Quote:
I don't want ane electric car either! EVER !

Please go and buy your non green EMF tissue damaging vehicle and leave the rest of us alone.

I want a car that is ready for me to go wherever, whenever, not to be dependent on the charge or other BS.
The total embedded CO2 for the making of a gasoline-powered car is 5.6 tonnes. By contrast, it takes 8.8 tonnes to make an electric vehicle and the battery accounts for nearly half of that. So electric vehicles arrive on the street with a higher carbon footprint even before you plug them in. And that footprint gets uglier if the electricity comes from coal-fired power. Not to mention that thee will be a need for a certain recycling procedure and that will ad soon to your vehicle cost (see electronics recycling tax). And pollution after the battery is dead. And mining for materials. And , and...
Now, please take your crappy sparking box from Calgary to Vancouver at -40 Celsius (battery life gets under half, and add to that your heating and lights as well) and tell me how you will enoy a break in the woods while the bear will bring you a jug of power.

I want my vacuum wired, ready to vacuum when I want not when is charged. I dictate my life, my schedule, my breaks.
And no, I don't want a break. Pathetic excuse.

Take your electric, buy it, use it, do what you please but stop feeding me your lack of knowledge.
Are you happy? Good. No need to get our aproval. Go on your merry way, enjoy your electric box and leave the rest of us alone!
Woah! Someone just got a bit emotional there. You can go back to your cave and we'll talk again in 20 years.
Appreciate 1
mat9146.50
      08-26-2018, 06:54 PM   #53
Top pup
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

The concept had real potential, but this is a real fussy awkward bit of design in comparison.
I would love a modern take on my Z4MC, but I just can't see it happening.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 05:10 PM   #54
bhall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90

Nice Kia

Looks like every other Korean car now. Hugely uninterested in this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:14 AM   #55
ivegotklas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Show me where a Tesla can recharge enough to get another 300 miles after 30 min charge.

100,000 miles of non polluting drive? Ya that's BS. Coal Plant charging your car is not pollution free. No car or product is pollution free. That is just wishful thinking.

I have a perpetual motion generator I'll sell you for a cool $2,000,000. Great deal if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:19 AM   #56
ivegotklas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I don’t want ane electric car either! EVER !

And no, I don’t want a break. Pathetic excuse.

Spot on assessment. I forgot about the battery after its no longer usable. It's got to go somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 10:12 AM   #57
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
No BMW style headlights is a big fail imo. I have zero interest now. It doesn't even look like a BMW car from the front.
      08-31-2018, 02:57 PM   #58
bgeorge0049
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkey View Post
No BMW style headlights is a big fail imo. I have zero interest now. It doesn't even look like a BMW car from the front.
Considering the downright blandness of some of BMWs recent to market designs, I consider this a good thing. Just take a look at the X2, current 2 series, and others. Couldn't be more boring in the design department. They are bland, boring, and all unfortunately the same.

I am excited that BMW is refining their design language and moving outside the boring box.

These are different cars but all look the same.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1