Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
When auto "journalists" do not pronounce Porsche correctly
O.0
I'm weird
So I love the “correct” pronunciation: Porsh-Uh

When I was a wee fry, my dad bought a 356 in Germany while enjoying the employ of the US Army, and brought it back to the US when we returned. Many memories of drives in that car, including him always liking to refer to it as the “porsh-eee”. He knew the correct German pronunciation but that was just more fun.

Several years ago when my attorney was deposing my ex-wife and her (now ex) lover, my attorney asked about her porsh and my wife, recorded for all posterity, corrected her emphatically with “Porsh-Uh”. A small town judge doesn’t really cotton to that level of pseudo-sophistication. So my wife 2.0 and I really enjoy it every time we hear the correct pronunciation.

Like Jag-U-Are it may be correct but it just ain’t right!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #24
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

After returning from my lunch excursion today, the number of people who have total lack of concern for other motorists is alarming. Maybe 30% use turn signal indicators, if that. Making a 10 minute trip to the restaurant and back to the office, I narrowedly escaped 2 different accidents from other drivers entering lanes without looking or using a signal.

Something else I have noticed, as of late, are people who do not want to stop at the end of an aisle in parking lots. For whatever reason, they feel the person who has the right of way should stop, so they don't have to. It happens almost ever time I'm in a parking lot these days. Anyone else experience this or is just in this area?
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      09-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #25
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

oh this one is easy. Facetiming in public. jesus effing christ
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #26
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
When auto "journalists" do not pronounce Porsche correctly
O.0
I'm weird
i tuned in to the Taycan launch this week and one of their senior exec presenters said "Parsh". i was shocked!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #27
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
After returning from my lunch excursion today, the number of people who have total lack of concern for other motorists is alarming. Maybe 30% use turn signal indicators, if that. Making a 10 minute trip to the restaurant and back to the office, I narrowedly escaped 2 different accidents from other drivers entering lanes without looking or using a signal.

Something else I have noticed, as of late, are people who do not want to stop at the end of an aisle in parking lots. For whatever reason, they feel the person who has the right of way should stop, so they don't have to. It happens almost ever time I'm in a parking lot these days. Anyone else experience this or is just in this area?
Similiar thing happened just now to me and the wife. Had a guy come up on the left side of me with his blinker on to get over into the right lane I was in. I was behind another car, but he came around and just kept merging in like I was expected to stop.

To make matters worse I had someone else behind me riding my ass.....ended up locking the brakes down and almost got slammed in the back because I guess this guy figured his turn signal meant he had the right of way.

I just bit my lip, and told my wife at least he was using his turn signal. Like I said in that one thread from way back...I'm trying to be better about things like this.
      09-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #28
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Hate when a gross smoker in front of me flicks their cig out of the window and it hits my car. Wtf keep that garbage in your car and not on mine.
Appreciate 3
Germanauto9665.50
King Rudi13152.00
MKSixer34171.50
      09-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #29
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

My biggest pet peeve: people with bad health habits such as eating garbage, smoking, drugs, etc.

Every day I deal with patients who are dumb as rocks. I know they'll be back in the hospital with their poor lifestyle choices. In the modern internet age there's no excuse to not spend 5 minutes doing a Google search on how to eat healthier. You can run outside for free. Stop wasting money on cigarettes and get your shit together. Unfortunately people have just gotten dumber since the internet was created.

Then you have the enablers. The leftists who keep claiming all these people are victims, and the right wingers who claim limiting access to bad foods/habits is anti-freedom. Americans get what they deserve.
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
King Rudi13152.00
      09-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #30
e90alpinem3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

The fact that no one (aside from the car enthusiasts) in the US understands that a high beam flash in the passing lane is not me being a bmw driving asshole that should be flipped off or aggressively tailed by some lunatic pinning his corolla. All I am asking is move out of my way because I feel like driving faster than you. Oh and that pos Corolla doesn't stand a chance bud because I am a fast driving Bmw asshole!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 08:33 PM   #31
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Hypocrites for me.

I have been encountering so many people that claim one thing or complain about something, but say/do another thing or do the thing they are complaining about.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      09-07-2019, 01:40 AM   #32
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
My biggest pet peeve: people with bad health habits such as eating garbage, smoking, drugs, etc.

Every day I deal with patients who are dumb as rocks. I know they'll be back in the hospital with their poor lifestyle choices. In the modern internet age there's no excuse to not spend 5 minutes doing a Google search on how to eat healthier. You can run outside for free. Stop wasting money on cigarettes and get your shit together. Unfortunately people have just gotten dumber since the internet was created.

Then you have the enablers. The leftists who keep claiming all these people are victims, and the right wingers who claim limiting access to bad foods/habits is anti-freedom. Americans get what they deserve.
Yep! Me and my Dr discuss this all the time. Even up to two generations ago, people could get away with a lot of bad habits, but these were people who spent most of their time outside doing hard work and constantly moving.

Most of them were brought up not knowing the dangers of some types of food. The best you would get from them was it's a vegetable....even if it was fried when cooking.

My personal Dr has somehow got involved with my whole family, but I was the 2nd patient he ever had when he began practicing. But he actually"dropped" my dad as a patient because my dad wouldn't do what he was told. He has a myriad of self-induced health issues....and most all could be fixed or greatly reduce the impact of his health if he would change his lifestyle.

But after years of things getting worse and him basically making excuses or lying about it, my Dr cut him loose.

And I can't say I blame him.
      09-07-2019, 01:56 AM   #33
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Pet peeves:

Priuses and non vapers
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #34
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Every day I deal with patients who are dumb as rocks. I know they'll be back in the hospital with their poor lifestyle choices. In the modern internet age there's no excuse to not spend 5 minutes doing a Google search on how to eat healthier.
When I was in the hospital about 10 years ago, they would not release me until I sat through multiple lectures from a nutritionist. It was apparently required by hospital policy. No salt, no cheese, no potted meats, chinese food is evil, only whole grains, etc. I have lived that life (if you can call it living) ever since.

We had a half-day employee wellness seminar where I work a few weeks ago. Start out with a healthy catered lunch, and then into all kinds of breakout sessions about various health/exercise topics for the rest of the afternoon.

The "healthy" catered lunch would have sent that nutritionist into a tizzy. Frozen turkey burgers and veggie burgers served on white hamburger rolls, teriyaki chicken (sodium bombs away!) with a ladle to slop extra sauce onto your plate, pasta salad, fruit salad, and oatmeal raisin cookies. The drink choices were water or sweetened iced tea. Most important omission is the complete lack of vegetables (either cooked or raw) and absolutely no green salads. Each item included a plaque about why it was a healthier choice, when in reality it was all feel-good substitutions that had just as many salt/sugar/carbs as the item it was replacing.

Long story short, one of my pet peeves is people who fall for "all natural" or "healthy" advertising without looking at the actual nutritional data to see *why* it is better (or worse!) for you.....
      09-07-2019, 11:22 PM   #35
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
When I was in the hospital about 10 years ago, they would not release me until I sat through multiple lectures from a nutritionist. It was apparently required by hospital policy. No salt, no cheese, no potted meats, chinese food is evil, only whole grains, etc. I have lived that life (if you can call it living) ever since.

We had a half-day employee wellness seminar where I work a few weeks ago. Start out with a healthy catered lunch, and then into all kinds of breakout sessions about various health/exercise topics for the rest of the afternoon.

The "healthy" catered lunch would have sent that nutritionist into a tizzy. Frozen turkey burgers and veggie burgers served on white hamburger rolls, teriyaki chicken (sodium bombs away!) with a ladle to slop extra sauce onto your plate, pasta salad, fruit salad, and oatmeal raisin cookies. The drink choices were water or sweetened iced tea. Most important omission is the complete lack of vegetables (either cooked or raw) and absolutely no green salads. Each item included a plaque about why it was a healthier choice, when in reality it was all feel-good substitutions that had just as many salt/sugar/carbs as the item it was replacing.

Long story short, one of my pet peeves is people who fall for "all natural" or "healthy" advertising without looking at the actual nutritional data to see *why* it is better (or worse!) for you.....
I definitely see your point of view. 100% agree that a lot of people who preach healthy eating wouldn't know the first thing about it if it hit them in the head. They'll go splurge at Whole Foods and Trader Joes, buying processed garbage in loads thinking they are being healthy since it's "organic" or "GMO free." At the end of the day chips are chips, pasta is pasta, and cookies are cookies.

One of my buddies is involved in the vegan community and rants about this, as a ton of the vegan restaurants and food trucks in LA still sell shit (burgers, fries, etc.). Just because their food doesn't have meat doesn't make it healthy.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      09-08-2019, 02:58 AM   #36
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post

Lol....we have those too!

It's put on buy our "Health Nurse" at work. I never participate in the lunches or "Healthy Breaks". I do my own thing. I find it funny that I know more about nutrition, insulin resistance, partitioning ratios, etc than my "Health Nurse".

And once a year they pull out the little handheld bodyfat monitor. This year it occurred 2 weeks out from my vacation that I had been dieting for. It listed me at slightly over 15%. I laughed about it as I've told her for years it was a bogus piece of equipment, and that I could manipulate the numbers with just water consumption.

She was insistent it worked. Meanwhile two days earlier at the gym, I had just had a 7 site caliper "pinch" that put me at 7.4%.
King Rudi13152.00
      09-08-2019, 03:00 AM   #37
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Another pet peeve of mine. People who can't put their phone down long enough to talk to someone. Yesterday at the grocery store I watched a women empty her cart, and go through checkout without putting her phone away even when the clerk was trying to ask her questions!
King Rudi13152.00
      09-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #38
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
And once a year they pull out the little handheld bodyfat monitor. This year it occurred 2 weeks out from my vacation that I had been dieting for. It listed me at slightly over 15%. I laughed about it as I've told her for years it was a bogus piece of equipment, and that I could manipulate the numbers with just water consumption.
Ours took it one step further, and borrowed a few nurses and a portable blood test machine from a regional hospital. Having walked into the door at work fasting after just having my bi-weekly lab sample drawn a few blocks away, I went straight to the blood tester to see how accurate it was against the actual lab tests. It was close enough for a quick test, although the Triglycerides were nowhere near each other.

Before I let the nurse do any tests, I made her promise to not call an ambulance in a panic when she saw my numbers. From a visual examination, the medical industry would think that my arteries should be clogged solid and my blood pressure should be through the roof. My plumbing is 100% clean, and disappointed my cardiologists when they sent me to the cath lab to check for buildup. As for my blood pressure, my primary care physician sees 90/65 and says that it is the best that I can do with what's left of my ticker. On the scoreboard at work, I had the second-lowest blood pressure of everyone checked, and topped the board with an LDL of 58. On paper, I'm perfectly healthy!

In reality, I was walking around from 2016-18 with a 15-pound albatross of an IV infusion pump running 24/7 with heart medicine around my neck, and bounce between Class III and IV heart failure with a diagnosis of needing a transplant.

I had an interesting food/diet revelation that I bounced off of my endocrinologist a while back. The food pyramid that is published by the government wasn't put together by nutritionists, but rather by lobbyists from the various farm groups. If I ate their recommendations, I'd be dead.

Back to pet peeves, vegetarians and vegans are high on my list. Every one of them that I know is always missing days of work sick, and usually with mysterious illnesses. I also get a chuckle of the hoards of vegetarians/vegans swarming to the nearby no-spray apple orchards here at this time of the year. I guess that worms are not meat in their minds.....
MKSixer34171.50
arkie6397.00
      09-09-2019, 06:54 AM   #39
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Similiar thing happened just now to me and the wife. Had a guy come up on the left side of me with his blinker on to get over into the right lane I was in. I was behind another car, but he came around and just kept merging in like I was expected to stop.

To make matters worse I had someone else behind me riding my ass.....ended up locking the brakes down and almost got slammed in the back because I guess this guy figured his turn signal meant he had the right of way.

I just bit my lip, and told my wife at least he was using his turn signal. Like I said in that one thread from way back...I'm trying to be better about things like this.
I've currently realized what an ass I look like, on regular basis, by calling or pointing how stupid other people are. Good on you for not making a big deal about it. I'm trying to work on this myself, but damn is it difficult. Work and driving are my two biggest issues. I realize that pointing out how ignorant other people are doesn't make me look any better, but I get my mind blown on a daily basis on other people's ignorance or just lack of concern for anyone other than themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Hate when a gross smoker in front of me flicks their cig out of the window and it hits my car. Wtf keep that garbage in your car and not on mine.
Is it ok if the smoker isn't gross, or are you saying that all smokers are gross? Asking for a friend.

Quote:
Another pet peeve of mine. People who can't put their phone down long enough to talk to someone. Yesterday at the grocery store I watched a women empty her cart, and go through checkout without putting her phone away even when the clerk was trying to ask her questions!
When I worked in the cell phone industry, I used to call customers out for this. If they were too busy to put their phone down in order for me or one of my sales reps to assist them; I would explain that there are other customers waiting and we will assist those customers until they can find the time to end their phone call or cease their text conversation. It upset a lot of people, but the customers waiting patiently always appreciated it. It did get the point across to some and they finally realized what they were doing was rude, not only to us, but the customers waiting behind them as well. Then there were the customers who just used it as an excuse to continue to be rude.

Last edited by King Rudi; 09-09-2019 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 07:41 AM   #40
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
I'm sure I will get flack for this, but I bet most will agree silently in their own heads.

I joke that I feel that whatever speed I happen to be going on the road is the correct speed. Anyone going a few mph faster than me is a crazy idiot and anyone going a few mph slower than me is a moron that needs to get off the road.

I read somewhere that they did a survey and found this to be true of most drivers.

Lol! Anyone going a few mph faster than me is my shield!! I'm NEVER the fastest driver on the road.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
N54Yankee2706.00
Maynard3804.50
      09-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #41
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Pet Peeves:

People who aren't paying attention when the light turns green. I count to one and blow the horn.

Left Lane Blockers. No explanation necessary.

People who can't stay in their lane when making turns. The line is there for a reason. I was pushed into a curb by one of these driving a USS Cadillac years ago.

The "cool" riders who have their seat in an impossible position and couldn't possibly control their car in an emergency. And the seatbelt won't work anyway.

Anyone who thinks they're the only car on the entire road. Changing lanes indiscriminately, stopping to look for wherever they are attempting to go in the middle of the street, braking for no reason, whatsoever, etc.

Anyone who slows down when the traffic in the lane next to them slows down and their lane is perfectly clear for the next billion miles.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15561.50
arkie6397.00
      09-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #42
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:

My pet peeve is exactly that but when there is NOBODY behind me, and someone has to come up the left lane and cut in front. They couldn't possibly have pulled in behind you where there was 1/2 a mile of room - no, they have to have the piece of road just in front of you. Happens all the time. One did it to me in the Ferrari the other day at about 60mph and I swear he was about 1 to 2 feet from my front bumper, with no indicator. He knew I was there too because I saw him coming from a distance back and figured he'd be an ass like that.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #43
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

My other pet peeve - my cat, Peeve. Because everyone needs a pet Peeve
Appreciate 2
UncleWede17872.50
Maynard3804.50
      09-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #44