BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos What would you do if a homeless guy scratched your car?

10-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #23
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Good to know! Did you do that at a body shop?
I actually bought a paint kit to fix the tiny dings in my paint from rocks or whatever. I haven’t had the guts to try it yet but wouldn’t attempt anything larger than a ding.
Yes, at a body shop. If I remember right it was about $150.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #24
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
It's no harm inquiring an official service for what they can do first. When I got a dent on my windshield I noticed BMW advertised minor glass damage repair service. But my BMW service denied they could do it.

Quote:
I actually bought a paint kit to fix the tiny dings in my paint from rocks or whatever. I haven’t had the guts to try it yet but wouldn’t attempt anything larger than a ding.
Using that kit requires some skill actually. I tried it on my previous car and I didn't bother on my current. Practice on your fingernails or consider addressing a specialized minor repairs body shop.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
Rmtt8206.00
      10-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #25
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
If I was driving a new Prius, I wouldn't do anything about it. The dent will probably improve the looks of the car but if I was driving anything else, I would just touch it up.

Plastic bumper cover could be easily popped out with a hair dryer and the right push. Then touch up any scratch surface to make it as even as possible and polish it.

I leased a Jeep Grand Cherokee a while back and someone hit my bumper cover with their trailer hitch. It left a sizable dent but I was able to push it out, touched up the surface and polished the paint. I turned in the vehicle with no issue whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #26
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

I live downtown in one of the country's largest metro areas, in between my city's two largest homeless shelters, both of which are four blocks away. Homeless are literally omnipresent, at all hours of the day and night.

The vast majority of homeless here are homeless by choice. If you respect them, they'll respect you. Simple as that. In Seattle that may be different because of the housing crisis there (and in many Left Coast cities), but that doesn't mean respect and acknowledgement should be suspended.

There are exceptions. The 'F the world' types like that man in the middle of the road are almost always trying to get carted off on purpose. Yes, they're disturbed -- and yes, you should give them a wide berth and do your best to ignore them as if they weren't there -- but they will almost never physically assault anyone because they know that their freedom will be gone if they do.

As for a homeless who dings your car on accident: swallow it. There is absolutely no point in doing anything else.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      10-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #27
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Just move on buddy.
You're driving a BMW.
He's driving a grocery cart.
Nuff said .
Appreciate 2
eluded2959.00
Efthreeoh16946.00
      10-22-2019, 01:27 AM   #28
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

What if the guy was driving a Ferrari Pista and same thing..... shopping carts right into it.... baaaaaaaam.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 01:37 AM   #29
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

not much you can do... just suck it up and pay the body shop. My friend hardly ever takes his lambo out and one day noticed a big crack in the rear bumper near the diffuser. My 335 had a license plate imprint in the back bumper about 6 months into ownership. both were likely from people trying to parallel park. the lambo damage was hardly noticeable, but cost him $1200

you have people out there who literally tap your bumper trying to parallel park in a tight spot and think its ok.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #30
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

The obvious and only choice here is to take him/her to court and sue them for all their assets.

In addition, all wages garnished until you're made whole.

And jail time.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      10-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #31
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
I would move out of Seattle.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 05:37 AM   #32
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
It's no harm inquiring an official service for what they can do first. When I got a dent on my windshield I noticed BMW advertised minor glass damage repair service. But my BMW service denied they could do it.

Using that kit requires some skill actually. I tried it on my previous car and I didn't bother on my current. Practice on your fingernails or consider addressing a specialized minor repairs body shop.
These kits are typically more of a hassle than anything else. I have tried them all, and you can see the repair...but I'm OCD. Maybe at 10ft. away..it looks okay. But you can see it when you get within 2ft.

Now I have a small compressor and spray gun. I use it to take care of road rash on my cars. Its kind of like "air-brushing"....just takes a little bit of time with it to make it look good especially when blending. A lot of this also is dependent upon where the spot you are trying to repair is. If it's close to another body panel, it's harder to make it not as apparent.

I have actually painted and cleared an entire front bumper that came out looking really well. I just have never painted an entire car.
      10-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #33
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

Sue him. Maybe you can milk some money from him.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:38 PM   #34
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Get out of the car and capsize his cart. But only if it wasn't my fault.
Then go to jail and have the cops tow your car to a nice, safe, locked impound. Great idea.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:41 PM   #35
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
Sue him. Maybe you can milk some money from him.
Suing someone who has nothing gets you... nothing. What do you want... a share of the crap in his shopping cart? The last swig of his warm bottle of cheap vodka.

Plus you waste your time and money along the way. It costs $75 to file a small claims case, which is money down the tube if you are never going to get it back.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:43 PM   #36
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
The obvious and only choice here is to take him/her to court and sue them for all their assets.

In addition, all wages garnished until you're made whole.

And jail time.
It's a homeless guy with a shopping cart. What assets do you think you are going to get?

You're throwing away the $75 filing fee for small claims court and wasting your time.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:02 PM   #37
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Suing someone who has nothing gets you... nothing. What do you want... a share of the crap in his shopping cart? The last swig of his warm bottle of cheap vodka.

Plus you waste your time and money along the way. It costs $75 to file a small claims case, which is money down the tube if you are never going to get it back.
I'm obviously joking lol. I'm not sure what kind of reply the op is looking for. If it was literally a homeless, one can't expect much other than just letting it go.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:09 PM   #38
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Be kind to him.

Offer him some food, like a whopper. But only after you rubbed your balls on the patty.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #39
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
I would move out of Seattle.
Best response in this thread...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Torgus3779.00
      10-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #40
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
I'm obviously joking lol. I'm not sure what kind of reply the op is looking for. If it was literally a homeless, one can't expect much other than just letting it go.
Systemic Internet problem... there is no such thing as sarcastic font.

Some people take things too literally.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Torgus3779.00
      10-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #41
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #42
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
Yes, at a body shop. If I remember right it was about $150.
I remember you mentioning there was good bmw body shop that does good work and cost effective then dealer. Is there one in seattle?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #43
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post

These kits are typically more of a hassle than anything else. I have tried them all, and you can see the repair...but I'm OCD. Maybe at 10ft. away..it looks okay. But you can see it when you get within 2ft.

Now I have a small compressor and spray gun. I use it to take care of road rash on my cars. Its kind of like "air-brushing"....just takes a little bit of time with it to make it look good especially when blending. A lot of this also is dependent upon where the spot you are trying to repair is. If it's close to another body panel, it's harder to make it not as apparent.

I have actually painted and cleared an entire front bumper that came out looking really well. I just have never painted an entire car.
Which airbrush you use? Link? And do you just out factory touch up pain in the canister or somethjng? I ws thinking along the lines of hobby airbrush or something?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #44
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

I had it happen when my ZL1 was about a year old, I think he was pushing a recycling cart (stolen shopping cart) with metal scrap hanging off of it and put about a 3 foot scratch on the rear fender.

Fortunately (sarcasm) not long after some other piece of shit teed off on my car with a coffee mug (outside my office sometime between noon and 2) and broke the mirror, windshield window trim, dent in the door.

No, I didn't have any interaction with anyone, no road rage, no honking at anyone.

So I turned it all into an insurance claim.
Appreciate 0