BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Sports Cars? But why?

04-15-2022, 05:56 PM   #45
AR_Motorwerkz
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4, BMW WIDEBODY F13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanE92 View Post
Went for a drive today, pulled the car into the garage, and couldn't help to wonder - why? Why do I shell out a considerable chunk of change each month to drive a car once a week, if that? Maybe this post is me speaking rhetorically - but lately I've been doubting the joy-to-price value proposition.

Context: 37 years old, wife, 2 kids, no other major hobbies, blah blah. We both have comfy SUVs as daily drivers.

I've had fast cars in the past. Sure, the feeling of torque and acceleration is fun - but 600 and 800+ HP cars hit 100MPH quickly. Makes for a bad ticket, or worse. That, and I quickly would get used to the feeling and always ended up wanting more power.

I've also had cars that handled well in the past. Sure, hooning around backroads can be fun, and I have awesome roads close to where I live - but to be honest, ripping around some local corners is no where near as fun as being able to go flat out on a track. Even going 6/10s on a public road can be considered quite reckless. I currently don't track my car because I learned early on "if you can't afford to fix it, don't race it." That, and the cost and time of tracking is $$$ and I ain't that rich.

And then we have modding. Strategizing is fun. Getting that mod delivered and installed is immensely gratifying. But the dopamine hit seemingly wears off fast and I'm back to wanting more. Inevitably, this path has always led me to building a car that was either too noisy, unreliable, loud, squeaky, uncomfortable... you name it.

Then there's cost. I've grown to desire increasingly expensive cars. Back in the day I thought my $2,000 CRX was perfect. Fast forward to today - and I'm quick to find that "next car" - and guess what, it's always more expensive than what I have now.

So, that brings me to this post. Sports cars - why do we own them? And is the hobby loop for me "broken"? Could use some words of wisdom here, friends. Honestly, some days I wish I wasn't a "car guy".

Please and thank you.

Updated thought #1: I'm realizing my fondest memories with cars were the drives with my friends. Those moments are so few and far between these days. The solo cruise just isn't the same.

Updated thought #2: I tried the rational-only car thing before... was miserable after 1 month.
I get you! Maybe the G80 M3 wagon would be the best option for you!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 06:35 PM   #46
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Maybe you just have the wrong sports car? I agree insane power becomes useless on public roads. That's why I went away from M cars and now have a Porsche 718 Cayman. Much more usable power and more than enough for plenty of fun around town.
Appreciate 3
Germanauto9704.00
Dino GT35134.50
E46ZHP254.00
      04-15-2022, 09:31 PM   #47
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Maybe you just have the wrong sports car? I agree insane power becomes useless on public roads. That's why I went away from M cars and now have a Porsche 718 Cayman. Much more usable power and more than enough for plenty of fun around town.
...and why I now have a Miata as a fun car. I grew up with fond experiences in a '71 MGB and this car really resonates with me. It's definitely true that it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25083.00
Germanauto9704.00
Dino GT35134.50
gatorfast4997.50
      04-15-2022, 10:15 PM   #48
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
...and why I now have a Miata as a fun car. I grew up with fond experiences in a '71 MGB and this car really resonates with me. It's definitely true that it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow
I was *this* close to getting a Miata (NB) a couple of times back in late 2020, but they sold out from under me, then I got the 128i. Same reason I didn't want a 135i: I just don't need that kind of power and the associated complexity of the drivetrain.

P.S. Do I *want* that kind of power? Well...

P.P.S. I still see a Miata in my future, just don't have the garage, driveway, curb, or spousal space right now.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2022, 11:00 PM   #49
nicholasn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Coupe, '09 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
My wife and I both have expensive hobbies. In a previous line of work I saw that life is short, you could be 30 and your heart suddenly stops. Or you could say I will have fun when I retire, well I've personally known tons of people that said that and never made it. Just enjoy your life while still be responsible, doesn't mean you have to buy a 6 figure car. Heck my 84 Omni puts the biggest smile on my face. We spend about 2,500 in our hobbies each month and it's worth every penny. That said we don't have children. My parents had many awesome cars before my brother and I were born. They figured they would be more responsible with their money having kids and go back to having fun at retirement. Didn't work out like that due to a permanent life changing injury. Like I said enjoy life, never know when something could alter your life permanently.

I'll add another thing. My brother had it all 10 years ago, the wife and kids, large business, house the whole American dream. Worked hard since he was a kid. Well a whole lot of things occurred at once and he literally lost everything including the wife. After major depression and homelessness he decided money was over rated and now he travels the country, works 25-30 hrs a week from wherever he's at and is the happiest I've ever seen him.
Big facts here.

Growing up I would periodically hear my parents say "I wish had done this or that when I had the chance to", and then everyone would revert back to playing everything safe and continuing to miss out on everything. I am 25 and there are already way too many things that I wish I had done/done differently when I was younger. Of course hindsight is 20/20 but it sucks to look back and kick yourself for not doing something you wanted to when you had the opportunity. A few weeks ago one of my closest friends started talking about motorcycles...afterwards I got to thinking and it sort of hit me that I've got a little bit of money, don't have any kids, don't have a wife, etc. So long story short, I bought a motorcycle last weekend. Didn't really know anything about them, just knew that I always thought motorcycles were cool so I drove over to one of the local dealerships, sat on a few bikes there, and bought an R3. I had never ridden a motorcycle before, but I was like "fuck it, this can't be that hard, I'm gonna ride it home from the dealership". Aaaaaand I did. It wasn't perfect, stalled a few times and turning was a bit of an adventure, but I'm still here. Texted my parents later that day telling them that I had bought a motorcycle, and got the expected "wish you had just gotten a dirt bike, those aren't as dangerous" as a response. And they're probably right, but if I kick the bucket tomorrow I can rest in peace knowing that I died having fun and didn't pass on riding a motorcycle when I had the chance.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2022, 12:36 AM   #50
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I actually thought that this thread was going to go a different route, because I often wonder what will be my next (sports) car. For ppl who live on the track, that's great they can kinda use the max potential of their cars, but if they mainly drive on public roads like me, it's more of a prestige/ego? thing getting an exotic, and that's perfectly fine, I'd be tempted to get one too, but even w my car I haven't used anything close to its potential, so I can't imagine some 700hp+ monster that I can only press down on the pedal 1cm before getting hauled off to jail; it's frustrating I can't use my car's full power for fear of the cops so never mind way more powerful cars - the blue balls must be unbearable lol. Oddly enough, even w endless $, the next sportscar I'd get would probably be a MX-5 RF.
really just depends on you as a driver. everyone has their own limits. Cars have limits too. A front engine car is not going to have the same limits as properly setup mid/rear engine car. for some its speed limit signs. for others its just their own ability and what they are comfortable with. i like to think i'm pretty quick. This guy in the video is a bit above what i'm willing to push my cars to. I can get tcs lights / euro mdm to flash at me a bit. some corners i gotta flex those core muscles in the GT3 and hold my breath a bit from the Gs that Cup tires can produce... but im not going to push to the point of hearing my tires howl on the street like this guy:

some of those corners he has almost zero room for error

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS

Last edited by Humdizzle; 04-16-2022 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 07:04 AM   #51
M3CSinWisc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Weird coincidence, as the same “change” washed over me when I was 37. Had been a car guy for nearly 20 years, and one day none of it really mattered to me anymore, and I sold my rather modded Subaru STi. I’d sworn up and down this way the car I was going to keep forever, teach my kids how to drive MT on, pass it down to my daughter, etc. One day, all that just vanished, none of it meant anything, it just became “another car”, equity tied up in an object that could be used elsewhere.

Fast forward 4 years to present day. Moved the family to a new state that didn’t have shit traffic like DC/MD/VA, decided it would be nice to have a fun car again to enjoy on the open, empty backroads, maybe re-igniting that car guy passion. Have gone to a few Cars & Coffee, trying to get involved in the local car scene, read these forums here for fun and information…

It’s just not the same. The M3 is gorgeous and amazing, but if I were to sell it today, I’d not lose any sleep. I’ve been considering it, but haven’t gotten around to actually doing it.

So, I don’t know, maybe it’s just a point some people reach where our rational, common sense finally overcomes the young, irrational side of our psyche. It’s depressing, part of me absolutely misses having that passion, but at the same time a bigger part of me just doesn’t care anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 07:16 AM   #52
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasn View Post
Texted my parents later that day telling them that I had bought a motorcycle, and got the expected "wish you had just gotten a dirt bike, those aren't as dangerous" as a response.
As someone that's been on motorcycles (dirt, street, and racing) for about 50 years, I can say "the hurt is in the dirt." I've broken so many ribs riding dirt bikes than when I get a chest x-ray they always ask me "Did all of that happen at one time!?!" Just ride like you are invisible to ever car on the road and if you start to feel frisky, do a track day and never push the limit on the street where you've got no margin or outs. An R3 is the perfect track day bike for learning to corner on a motorcycle. It'll seem intimidating to go to a track day but everyone there will be very helpful to a first timer and you'll ride with novice track riders. Trust me- it's a great learning experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 07:19 AM   #53
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3CSinWisc View Post

So, I don’t know, maybe it’s just a point some people reach where our rational, common sense finally overcomes the young, irrational side of our psyche. It’s depressing, part of me absolutely misses having that passion, but at the same time a bigger part of me just doesn’t care anymore.
You never know. You might find it all again in your 50's or 60's when you have more disposable money. I'm 63 and all I ever wanted to be was to grow up to be a teenager with money and do all the stuff I dreamed about back then. It would take me an hour to list all of those dreams I've checked off in the last 15 years.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 07:54 AM   #54
IvanE92
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Part of my issue may be traced to my car choices and ownership over the past three years. For me, my Type R a few years back fulfilled my high school nostalgia and gave me all of the performance and driving feel I'd want.

Then, I experienced owning an AMG. The materials, fit, finish, and prestige spoiled me. A year or so later I test drove a 718 Boxster. The open air feel, seating position, steering, shifter, and mid-engine sound was amazing. That spoiled me as well. It's hard for me to look at cars the same - and now, a weekend car that can check all of those boxes combined, for me, is simply either not realistic or would be financially irresponsible.

Wonder how I'd feel about my sports car blues if I continued to live blissfully and "naively" when $100K+ cars wouldn't even cross my mind. Now, the thought of say, a 718 GTS, is always in the back of my mind and for better or worse, adversely affects my appreciation of many, many more affordable vehicles. Even my current 2011 M3... I now can't "look at it the same way" as I may have 5 years ago...which is sad because I've always wanted an M car.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 08:15 AM   #55
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Even my current 2011 M3... I now can't "look at it the same way" as I may have 5 years ago...which is sad because I've always wanted an M car.
Well, I've owned several "responsible" BMWs over the past couple of decades and the one I have on order now is the first up spec power unit, an M50i. My wife really liked it and at 63 years old, if not now, when? Looking forward to it and hoping my wife doesn't lose her license driving it

For now, the '21 Miata GT soft top is scratching that itch.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 08:37 AM   #56
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Part of my issue may be traced to my car choices and ownership over the past three years. For me, my Type R a few years back fulfilled my high school nostalgia and gave me all of the performance and driving feel I'd want.

Then, I experienced owning an AMG. The materials, fit, finish, and prestige spoiled me. A year or so later I test drove a 718 Boxster. The open air feel, seating position, steering, shifter, and mid-engine sound was amazing. That spoiled me as well. It's hard for me to look at cars the same - and now, a weekend car that can check all of those boxes combined, for me, is simply either not realistic or would be financially irresponsible.

Wonder how I'd feel about my sports car blues if I continued to live blissfully and "naively" when $100K+ cars wouldn't even cross my mind. Now, the thought of say, a 718 GTS, is always in the back of my mind and for better or worse, adversely affects my appreciation of many, many more affordable vehicles. Even my current 2011 M3... I now can't "look at it the same way" as I may have 5 years ago...which is sad because I've always wanted an M car.
Ah you are hitting on a key aspect of happiness in life. Being able to be content and receive enjoyment from what you have is tough sometimes when your mind is constantly wondering to the next best thing. Just know, no matter what, there will always be something you perceive as "better" out there. But if you can tame that perception and reflect on what you already have and how amazing it is, you will be much happier. It's easy to always want more/better (cars, homes, etc) but don't let it sour you on what you already have.

Your 2011 M3 is an incredible car and when I look back on all the amazing cars I have owned, I still generally consider the E90 M3 my favorite of them all. The s65 engine is still a marvel and gave that car soul that few others have.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 12:53 PM   #57
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:

Oh so this info changes everything. You’re not ‘over’ sports cars, you want a Boxster
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 08:21 PM   #58
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I've always been a car guy, particularly motorsport. My earliest memories are sitting in front of the tv all day watching the annual Bathurst 1000 touring car race, it resonated with me from day 1.

When i was a young un in OZ, despite living in the blue collar western suburbs, I shunned the local cars and my first car was an Alfa Romeo Alfetta sedan, transaxle so one of the all time shite gear change experiences. Upgraded to the older Giulia Coupe with a much nicer box, car was sexy AF but life of course, intervenes. Caught between two worlds I bought A Dodge Neon, second gen, in Canada. I then bought my current the Saab 9-3 wagon in 2010. So i have gone what, 20+ years driving pretty mundane cars, no matter how much I try and hustle the Sab

Time to indulge a little I think.
Appreciate 2
Almuliman483.50
Germanauto9704.00
      04-17-2022, 02:15 AM   #59
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I only plan on driving sports cars the remainder of my life. I've always had compact sport sedans and have enjoyed the hell out of them. Now that I'm starting my career after years of education, I'll finally have the disposable income for more dedicated sports cars.

Cars are my #1 hobby. I love driving something nimble that hugs corners like a go-kart that provides visceral sensations to my fingertips, sound to my ears, and immerses me in the experience. To add to that, a car that's stylish and unique goes a long way.

Not gonna get caught into this "comfortable daily driver" bullsh*t. Cars are expensive and driving should be fun all the time. Not gonna waste money on a monotonous mom/dad car that blends in with the crowd. If I have to drive, I will drive something fun and special.
Agree with you 100 percent.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9704.00
      04-17-2022, 02:24 AM   #60
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
This is why I bought a 392 Wrangler....I tend to drive my SUV most of the time despite having a Ferrari so I wanted something that would be comfortable but still have the awesome sound and the 392 kind of does everything really well except be as luxurious as the German cars. I loved my V6 Wrangler as a daily it just didn't have enough power, problem solved. My FF is the "daily driver Ferrari" but I still only drive it about twice a week. Fortunately the value has gone up a lot and I haven't run into any major repairs (yet) so it's been awesome so far.

I also suffer from "car creep" where mid-level cars just don't do it for me anymore. I have no interest in new M3/4, RS5, C63, etc. Once you go Porsche you can't really go back to anything else for sports cars without getting into exotic territory/pricing. Given that getting a new GT3 or GT4RS at MSRP is impossible I don't really have any interest in a new Porsche, I think they'd also be cars I'd only drive 1-3x a week though. I've already had a GT3 (which was simply amazing to drive) and want to try other stuff....so what's left? Turbo S? Something from Bentley or Rolls Royce? Funny how your tastes change as you get older, and I'm only 36.
I agree with you. I have a DCT M2 CS. No interest in a normal M3/M4, C63, etc. as I consider myself graduated from that car level. I can’t get a GT3, GT4 RS, or upcoming GT3 RS allocation. Most likely will do a 911 Turbo S next. Probably shouldn’t do M4 CSL since I don’t have interest in normal M4. Test drove 992 CS a year ago and loved it but felt it needed more power.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 02:35 AM   #61
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I have to admit, when I started raising a family I sold the motorcycle and got nice reliable transportation without too much regard for how sporty it was. I figured while I'm in the phase of my life where I'm accumulating wealth it would be irresponsible to spend it on things. Five kids and a pretty successful start-up later I got back on track with turning non-renewable fossil fuels into grins. It's called delayed gratification and I was comfortable with that strategy.

I was very surprised to see the age demographic in the thread that clocked X5M owners - lots of 30somethings with young kids. Maybe they're trustafarians or some such but being that age with kids in preschool and you're spending over $100K on a SUV? Hard to see how that makes sense. No judgement here. You spends your money and lives with the consequences.
Less kids more money for toys. That’s why I only had one kid. My balance sheet has less expense and more assets for fun things.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 07:13 AM   #62
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

I have had similar thoughts to the OP
but in the end I think for some of us it's just that there's nothing else we'd rather spend our money on
a good drive on a nice road with a powerful naturally aspirated engine and a manual transmission has to be one of the sweetest pleasures in life for me so I spend the money to have that in my life
what else am I gonna do with it, get new furniture ?
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2022, 10:23 AM   #63
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

On what planet does a 992 not have enough power? I literally have no idea what anyone can do on public roads with more than 400hp, i drove a gt stang and it was at seriously illegal speeds before it changed up a gear from a rolling exit.
Appreciate 3
gatorfast4997.50
stein_325i25083.00
Germanauto9704.00
      04-17-2022, 11:26 AM   #64
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
On what planet does a 992 not have enough power? I literally have no idea what anyone can do on public roads with more than 400hp, i drove a gt stang and it was at seriously illegal speeds before it changed up a gear from a rolling exit.
Agree 100%.

Even the base 911 does 0-60 in under 4 seconds. More than enough power for literally any circumstance. I have become much more content with "lower" hp cars and find they are more enjoyable on the street.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9704.00
      04-17-2022, 12:55 PM   #65
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Let’s be honest, all we need in our lives is a GT4 RS. Too bad none of us will get one.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9704.00
      04-17-2022, 05:04 PM   #66
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I was at a light in my dad's Macan S next to this babe in a new base 992. I asked her to race and she obliged. I got destroyed...
Appreciate 0