BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Sports Cars? But why?

04-17-2022, 08:01 PM   #67
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Look i love power, fmd we all do right, i am a bit of Neanderthal at times. But we are not talking miata vs m4 here, we are talking an under 4 second car "felt like it needed more power"........like what?
Appreciate 2
RM72892.50
stein_325i25083.00
      04-18-2022, 09:55 AM   #68
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I'm having a hard time justifying any car these days. Although when/if I buy something again, it will definitely be a sporting variant.

I sold my gnarly NC Miata in March of last year after only putting 900 miles on it in the previous year. MCS double-remotes, MX-5 cup 2-piece rotors, custom intake, full exhaust, 93 tune, etc.

The better half and I both work from home (no kids), so we've just been sharing the '18 Mazda 3. Unless I change jobs, I won't be going back to the office (they closed our office in October of last year). So it's hard to justify a $30-60k purchase that is just going to sit in the garage outside of going to brunch or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 04:39 PM   #69
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I think most of this is personality dependent.

- Some people like drive for the engagement and aren't concerned about all out power.

- Some people want all the power; driveability and street manners be damned.

- Some people have more money than sense and live by the YOLO mantra.

- Some people want to impress people with their expensive/fast cars for a number of reasons.

- Some people are impatient and/or are never happy with what they have.

- Some people enjoy the chase of getting the next car and have trouble enjoying what they have.

- Or combinations of the above.

I'm almost 48, married, and have two children; 13 and 17. Most of my cars have been sporty and I've modified a majority of them. I could never drive stock. My taste in cars has gotten more expensive and faster. My M235 6MT (at $48K new) was the most expensive car I've ever owned, but is apparently a joke in comparison to some of the cars noted in this thread My M235 makes ~370whp/400wtq and while I've gotten used to the power, it is plenty fast for the street.

I've modified my M235 to be a great looking and driving sports coupe for the street. I love driving and even after over 6 years of ownership, I love my M235. I've done mods at a slow pace so that I could enjoy them. Some mods were a mistake because they resulted in negative driveability and/or excessive NVH thus I removed and sold the parts. On the flipside, my wife has a 2020 4Runner and I absolutely love driving that ill-handling and accelerating slug of a truck. I eagerly want to learn how to really off-road that thing. Off-roading and overlanding is a bucket list thing for me now.

I've never owned a 3rd fun car as I've always been more focused on financial stability while still trying to have some level of fun with my daily driver. Our house has been paid off for a number of years, the kids have substantial college funding, we have a full years salary in the rainy day account, and enough in retirement accounts that I have gone to a 32-hour work schedule. I'm now ready to pull the trigger on my fun car. It has been a mental battle between an ND2 Miata RF or a 2003/2004 C5 Z06. As someone that grew up in the 1980s and 1990s and analog vehicles, I'm leaning harder towards the Z06. I know both cars are stellar and I know I'd be happy with either, but the Z06 is winning out right now. I have no plans to add power mods; just creature improvements, better tires, and some tasteful low-key exterior mods to update the look.

Even if I had millions and millions of dollars, I personally don't see the point in owning hyper expensive/fast cars and/or a bunch of them. I want cars that I can drive hard of the street and cars that I don't feel bad about beating on or cars that maintenance hogs or generally problematic. I love to drive and it's not uncommon for me to leave the house on a weekend morning or after 11pm to go out for a drive. I'm not going balls out either; I'm just enjoying the drive. My goal isn't to impress anyone, but I do get enjoyment when people share their enthusiasm regarding my cars as it re-affirms to me that there are still some car people out there.

Last edited by XutvJet; 04-18-2022 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      04-18-2022, 05:17 PM   #70
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
For me, getting my driver’s license when I was 15.5 opened a world of freedom and responsibility. I could go anywhere, be anywhere. I liked how driving a car made me feel. Windows down on a long, flat Florida road flat out. My first car was a 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix. It was cool to me back in the early 80s. As I’ve gotten older and more financially better off, I’ve certainly upgraded, but all the experiences have been and continue to be memorable.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
      04-18-2022, 05:44 PM   #71
Kenfandic
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanE92 View Post
Went for a drive today, pulled the car into the garage, and couldn't help to wonder - why? Why do I shell out a considerable chunk of change each month to drive a car once a week, if that? Maybe this post is me speaking rhetorically - but lately I've been doubting the joy-to-price value proposition.

Context: 37 years old, wife, 2 kids, no other major hobbies, blah blah. We both have comfy SUVs as daily drivers.

I've had fast cars in the past. Sure, the feeling of torque and acceleration is fun - but 600 and 800+ HP cars hit 100MPH quickly. Makes for a bad ticket, or worse. That, and I quickly would get used to the feeling and always ended up wanting more power.

I've also had cars that handled well in the past. Sure, hooning around backroads can be fun, and I have awesome roads close to where I live - but to be honest, ripping around some local corners is no where near as fun as being able to go flat out on a track. Even going 6/10s on a public road can be considered quite reckless. I currently don't track my car because I learned early on "if you can't afford to fix it, don't race it." That, and the cost and time of tracking is $$$ and I ain't that rich.

And then we have modding. Strategizing is fun. Getting that mod delivered and installed is immensely gratifying. But the dopamine hit seemingly wears off fast and I'm back to wanting more. Inevitably, this path has always led me to building a car that was either too noisy, unreliable, loud, squeaky, uncomfortable... you name it.

Then there's cost. I've grown to desire increasingly expensive cars. Back in the day I thought my $2,000 CRX was perfect. Fast forward to today - and I'm quick to find that "next car" - and guess what, it's always more expensive than what I have now.

So, that brings me to this post. Sports cars - why do we own them? And is the hobby loop for me "broken"? Could use some words of wisdom here, friends. Honestly, some days I wish I wasn't a "car guy".

Please and thank you.

Updated thought #1: I'm realizing my fondest memories with cars were the drives with my friends. Those moments are so few and far between these days. The solo cruise just isn't the same.

Updated thought #2: I tried the rational-only car thing before... was miserable after 1 month.
Quote:
Went for a drive today, pulled the car into the garage, and couldn't help to wonder - why? Why do I shell out a considerable chunk of change each month to drive a car once a week, if that? Maybe this post is me speaking rhetorically - but lately I've been doubting the joy-to-price value proposition.

Context: 37 years old, wife, 2 kids, no other major hobbies, blah blah. We both have comfy SUVs as daily drivers.

I've had fast cars in the past. Sure, the feeling of torque and acceleration is fun - but 600 and 800+ HP cars hit 100MPH quickly. Makes for a bad ticket, or worse. That, and I quickly would get used to the feeling and always ended up wanting more power.

I've also had cars that handled well in the past. Sure, hooning around backroads can be fun, and I have awesome roads close to where I live - but to be honest, ripping around some local corners is no where near as fun as being able to go flat out on a track. Even going 6/10s on a public road can be considered quite reckless. I currently don't track my car because I learned early on "if you can't afford to fix it, don't race it." That, and the cost and time of tracking is $$$ and I ain't that rich.

And then we have modding. Strategizing is fun. Getting that mod delivered and installed is immensely gratifying. But the dopamine hit seemingly wears off fast and I'm back to wanting more. Inevitably, this path has always led me to building a car that was either too noisy, unreliable, loud, squeaky, uncomfortable... you name it.

Then there's cost. I've grown to desire increasingly expensive cars. Back in the day I thought my $2,000 CRX was perfect. Fast forward to today - and I'm quick to find that "next car" - and guess what, it's always more expensive than what I have now.

So, that brings me to this post. Sports cars - why do we own them? And is the hobby loop for me "broken"? Could use some words of wisdom here, friends. Honestly, some days I wish I wasn't a "car guy".

Please and thank you.

Updated thought #1: I'm realizing my fondest memories with cars were the drives with my friends. Those moments are so few and far between these days. The solo cruise just isn't the same.

Updated thought #2: I tried the rational-only car thing before... was miserable after 1 month.
Never been a fan of sports cars
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2022, 09:41 PM   #72
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

I think about this all the time. I've also tried the take a break from fun cars and drive a regular car and that didn't last long either.

I normally have at least two cars at a time, but since I sold my second car back at the end of 2020, I've only had one car since then because of this stupid market. Thankfully, that's at least a Hellcat. However, I am itching to get back into a Miata.

Sometimes there's just no sane way to rationalize it and it's just something we can enjoy so as long as our bills are paid just enjoy it. Whether that's once a week or every day. None of us live forever
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 10:19 PM   #73
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
I think about this all the time. I've also tried the take a break from fun cars and drive a regular car and that didn't last long either.

I normally have at least two cars at a time, but since I sold my second car back at the end of 2020, I've only had one car since then because of this stupid market. Thankfully, that's at least a Hellcat. However, I am itching to get back into a Miata.

Sometimes there's just no sane way to rationalize it and it's just something we can enjoy so as long as our bills are paid just enjoy it. Whether that's once a week or every day. None of us live forever
From Hellcat to Miata, what the…? Talk about extremes
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 06:47 AM   #74
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
The Miata will be much MUCH more fun to drive. Smoking the tires is fun for only so long...
Appreciate 3
Dino GT35134.50
Cos270608.50
stein_325i25083.00
      04-19-2022, 07:00 AM   #75
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
All i have ever driven was RWD (now AWD) fast cars and sportbikes. They are honestly like a drug to me. I dont drive fast the entire way but maybe just once I hit the accelerator hard and let the tach fly, and for those 6 seconds or less I am free.
Appreciate 3
Donatello.1083.50
Cos270608.50
      04-19-2022, 07:18 AM   #76
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I'm not replacing the Hellcat with it, I'm adding. However, it's always good to have a tool for every job. Hellcat is the hammer and Miata is the scalpel. Also, there is a lot of truth to it being more fun to drive a slow car fast sometimes. However, I do plan to boost the Miata lol
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      04-19-2022, 08:25 AM   #77
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
The Miata will be much MUCH more fun to drive. Smoking the tires is fun for only so long...
It gets old really fast, and this is from someone who used to track sportbikes.

My '13 Mustang GT Track pack would bark would 4th up an onramp. A buddy of mine used to let me drive his 750hp Fox-body, laying into the throttle in 4th and being met with smoke is cool for a second, but gets old. I want it to hook up and go.

Really more than 300hp, you can't do anything with on the street. That's why Miata's/BRZ's/etc are fun on the street. You can actually wring them out without fearing jail time.
Appreciate 1
Dino GT35134.50
      04-19-2022, 09:05 AM   #78
IvanE92
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenfandic View Post
Never been a fan of sports cars
Who, me? Why do you think so?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 09:41 AM   #79
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

Please and thank you.

I totally get what you are saying about driving with friends. We used to go much more often, but as kids, family, and career take priority, it's few and far between and I miss those drives together even if we all pile into one car for a bite to eat. I had to accept the simple fact that not everyone has the time or desire for car centric hobbies. You have to find those like-minded people. One way was at the track. It's a pretty small community and you start to see familiar faces at HPDE's.

As for risk, you don't have to go 10/10ths bump drafting Miatas and full sending it in the name of Cole Trickle every lap to track. Get track insurance and set 10% aside if you do. For me, tracking is a safe way to drive at the limit and hang out with people new and old.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
Alfisti6502.50
      04-19-2022, 10:28 AM   #80
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Problem here is tracking is OBSCENLY expensive. Looking at well over 1K to bring your own car for a few hours. It's fucking madness. Better off at the local supercarts track and hustle those a bit.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 11:01 AM   #81
IvanE92
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Problem here is tracking is OBSCENLY expensive. Looking at well over 1K to bring your own car for a few hours. It's fucking madness. Better off at the local supercarts track and hustle those a bit.
Between track time costs, driving, gas, and pads... and the fact you're away from the family for a weekend, tracking for me just isn't in the cards.

That said, it doesn't need to be a frequent occurrence like it may happen a decade or so ago. Perhaps going 1 to 3 times a year may satisfy my itch? Well, until I hit some oil and t-bone a tree at 70 mph, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 12:23 PM   #82
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

tracking never made sense to me from a money/time perspective either. but we have plenty of open backroads around here. as long as you know your limits you're fine. when you want to push your limits or exceed them... thats where the track is the better option.

i prefer to drive by myself rather than with other people. because someone always has to try and show off (or try to keep pace with you) . or someone in front of you is kicking up rocks at 100+ mph. or you're getting split up by traffic lights and other cars.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 2
jmg18708.00
baege1334.00
      04-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #83
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Cayuga is $200 for a weekday full day event, Shannonville is a little more but certainly not out to lunch, both are often quiet and lots of open lapping times available, at least not the few times I manage to squeeze out of the year. Most smaller run groups hosts fairly priced events on weekends but of course you deal with low quality crowds like the show-off spoiled kids in Ferraris and McLarens

This year will be costly though... thinking of sticking to 2 day events and maybe one weekend event just to see my friends.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 01:09 PM   #84
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Shannonville is 2 1/2 hrs each way so that's out. I was going on the numbers Mosport is charging. Cayuga sounds good though, will check it out, thanks. Insurance the other hassle.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 01:17 PM   #85
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Yep just checked it out. Damn would need a roll hoop though. Wish you could rent a shit box on site.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 01:26 PM   #86
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah no, shit box
Appreciate 1
Dino GT35134.50
      04-19-2022, 01:48 PM   #87
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
For sure, my definition of sportscar is always handling, not straight-line speed, 100 freaking percent, I don't get other takes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
I'm not replacing the Hellcat with it, I'm adding. However, it's always good to have a tool for every job. Hellcat is the hammer and Miata is the scalpel. Also, there is a lot of truth to it being more fun to drive a slow car fast sometimes. However, I do plan to boost the Miata lol
Flying Miata? That company is just crazy, I don't see the pt once one does that…might as well get a…Hellcat LOL.

Well, you definitely have your bases covered.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 01:48 PM   #88
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Between track time costs, driving, gas, and pads... and the fact you're away from the family for a weekend, tracking for me just isn't in the cards.

That said, it doesn't need to be a frequent occurrence like it may happen a decade or so ago. Perhaps going 1 to 3 times a year may satisfy my itch? Well, until I hit some oil and t-bone a tree at 70 mph, LOL.
I'm on mobile so I can't see your location, but there is a gokart track in my area that hosts drift night and time attack for cars on Friday and Saturday nights. While it's not as big as a road course, it's bigger than an autocross, and it's timed for some friendly competition. Being only 9 laps a session, it's easy on the wallet for consumables and seat time ($35/session). It only takes an hour to do a session so I can run a time attack and be back within a few hours.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0