BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Curious on what kind of dealer "tactics" your dealer tried?!?

01-12-2021, 07:36 PM   #1
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Curious on what kind of dealer "tactics" your dealer tried?!?

I keep cars a long, long time. I currently have an Audi A6 with 185k miles because I hate the process.

Curious what everyone dealt with out there?
Did they try the extended warranty..etc?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:11 PM   #2
SouthernYankee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 Z4 sdrive30i Misano/Magma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcard71 View Post
I keep cars a long, long time. I currently have an Audi A6 with 185k miles because I hate the process.

None at all here (BMW South Atlanta). Some states may require them to offer certain add ons like warranties but I'm not sure. No pressure tactics at all. I'm a lawyer so my years of negotiating in my professional life may help but I've also bought a number of cars over the years and always go in knowing exactly what I want and how much I want to pay for it. I think confidence goes a long way.

Depending on where you are in NH, check out BMW of Peabody (MA). I bought a 3 series there when I lived in Boston and they were great.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:49 AM   #3
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

I find they all generally try the same tactics. Go in armed with information and research, and don't physically go in, until your CA tells you the vehicle arrived and its ready for delivery.

My approach is to research the money factor and residual set forth by BMW FS (when I'm leasing) and set a target % discount from MSRP (for a lease or purchase scenario). Generally my target discount is 10-12% for BMW (depending on the model ... I'm usually looking at X5/5-series or above). Of course COVID-19 is not helping the usual discount, as demand has generally been exceeding supply ... but many are still reporting healthy discounting (7-9%).

I also research any BMW NA / BMW FS incentives I qualify for (ie. general model incentives like APR credits, owner loyalty, military, college grad, etc.). These will come additionally off the top after your negotiated MSRP discount.

In your case, since you are a long-term purchase (assuming Z4 since you posted here), set a goal of 8% off MSRP, and just call around to all your local dealers (assuming you don't want to do Spartanburg PCD), ask for the General Sales Manager, and tell them you are ready to purchase today: ___ model BMW with an MSRP of ____ and that you are willing to pay _____ and have credit card in hand for a $2500 deposit on your Priority 1 order ... do you want the deal?

Many will laugh and offer you a banquet of BS about why they can't do it, and you will get a few that want to play. Work with the ones that want to play, and know the only thing the dealer has flexibility over adding is their documentary fee (here in NJ i've seen some crazy fees anywhere from $349 standard going rate all the way to $799 highway robbery). Dealers generally will not budge on these "fixed" fees which cover the overhead for the front-end of the dealership.

Be sure you then mention the programs that you qualify for on top of their dealership discount, and ensure they are written into the agreement. Have them e-mail/fax you a buyers order and review to see any stupid add-ons like window etching and other nonsense fluff 99% profit items and have them removed and buyer's order reissued. Only execute the order when you are satisfied that it meets the deal you discussed.

Additionally, build the car on BMW USA website, and print out the page with the summary that includes the BMW option codes for the packages and items you selected for your build to ensure they enter the order into the system correctly. Also request a print-out from the BMW order system showing the order number and order status for your order. You want to see Status 111 accepted, if its not this status, then the dealer likely doesn't have an allocation for the model you are buying and you may be waiting a while for them to trade allocations with another dealership for an allocation on another model they want ... or for BMW to assign them an allocation to order.

When you pickup the vehicle, you will be sitting with the F&I guy at the dealership who's sole purpose is to generate additional dealership profit on warranty and protection program sales. Just tell the guy upfront that you aren't buying anything he's got to offer and to generate the paperwork to execute based on your buyer's order (in a polite manner), assuming you don't want anything like the prepaid maintenance plan or other protection plans that they will offer.

I personally find that negotiating to a reasonable price on a $0 deductible, no max payout policy limit tire and wheel protection plan on a daily-driver vehicle is never a losing proposition, atleast here in NJ where potholes are plentiful and your vehicle will likely be equipped with run-on-flat tires that can not be patched/repaired from road debris and will need to be replaced with a new tire. Don't pay more than $1400.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:52 AM   #4
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernYankee View Post
None at all here (BMW South Atlanta). Some states may require them to offer certain add ons like warranties but I'm not sure. No pressure tactics at all. I'm a lawyer so my years of negotiating in my professional life may help but I've also bought a number of cars over the years and always go in knowing exactly what I want and how much I want to pay for it. I think confidence goes a long way.

Depending on where you are in NH, check out BMW of Peabody (MA). I bought a 3 series there when I lived in Boston and they were great.
I had good experience in the past with BMW of Springfield, MA if they are close enough to you, it's worth giving them a call / shot.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:51 AM   #5
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:

When's your Z4 coming in? I still can't get a production slot.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #6
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4

As I knew my local dealer was very poor. Their offer was rubbish considering they had a “special” promotion on. I rang a better dealer an hour away and did the deal over the phone. Really good deal, nearly 20% discounted with their PCP offer. Great first experience but spoilt by a slow response to completing paper work and handover. Still I have a beautiful car that I’m not driving due to this blasted COVID situation.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:08 PM   #7
tall0n
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW 530i  [0.00]
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
I contacted a dealer in Dallas and gave him a build code. There was only one like it for sale in the US, located in Rochester, NY.
After a $1k deposit, they did a dealer trade, put it on a covered truck, and it was here in Dallas. The dealer did not charge me a transportation fee and gave me all applicable rebates. I felt it was a fair price and didn't haggle.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:25 PM   #8
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixitt View Post
Quote:

When's your Z4 coming in? I still can't get a production slot.
My car is in transit (supposedly on the truck)

I already negotiated the price and only had to put down $1k. As for the Finance guy, I've already told my sales rep to tell him that I'm not interested in any extended warranty or any other nonsense. I then proceeded to have him write out exactly what the final amount I need to bring in for a bank check amount and not a dime more. He agreed and just sent the number over.

So now I just need the car to show up!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Mixitt368.50
      01-16-2021, 06:40 PM   #9
DocWho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i, 2019 Z4 30i

Quote:

A good car salesperson wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't try to make some money on a deal. In the past 10 years, I do all of my negotiating via email. I tell them upfront I don't want any add ons, and I question things like doc fees, etc. Lots and lots of information about true prices on the web. They will try and call me on the phone, but I don't answer. I start shopping a few months before I really want to buy. They typically reach a point when they really want to sell.

The final pitch from them includes some or all of the following:
Interior protection plan
Environmental protection plan
Sideview mirror and headlight protection plan
Brake dust alloy protection plan
Rental car allowance
Window tinting
And a partridge in a pear tree.
Appreciate 0