BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Dimming Instrument Cluster

04-20-2024, 09:47 PM   #1
Zzz4Man
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW G29 Z4

Dimming Instrument Cluster

2020 Z4 30i with a weird instrument cluster issue. When daylight driving my instrument cluster randomly dims for a few seconds and then returns to normal. As first I though it was just sunlight glare washing out the instrument panel but, no, it quite obviously dims. This never happens at night and seems to only happen on bright sunny days. It’s almost like some adaptive lighting setting but for the life of me I can’t find any documentation on it, if it exists. I have the M sport package if that makes a difference and the iDrive screen dims as well. It’s not like a short where it would black out but more a gradual dim. It doesn’t go all the way out to black but it makes it somewhat difficult to read. Is this some annoying adaptive lighting thing, and if so how do I turn it off? Or is it just some weird bug I need to get fixed before the warranty runs out? I’ve search the forums and found nothing. Thanks in advance for your input.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 11:08 PM   #2
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
I'm unsure on the Z4 but had a similar problem on my Subaru Outback. I discovered it was being caused by my wife putting things on the dashboard thereby covering an obvious but previously unnoticed light sensor on the passenger side dashboard. I recommend looking for the light sensor. It is either dirty, covered by something or failing. I'm unsure of its location, perhaps in the Connected Drive assembly behind your rearview mirror. If so, ensure the windshield is clean and unobstructed in that area.

To compensate until you figure it out, try: CAR>Settings>Control Display>Brightness at Night>Press the controller and adjust to desired brightness.

If that doesn't work, try: CAR>Settings>Interior Lighting>Dimmed for Night Driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzz4Man View Post
2020 Z4 30i with a weird instrument cluster issue. When daylight driving my instrument cluster randomly dims for a few seconds and then returns to normal. As first I though it was just sunlight glare washing out the instrument panel but, no, it quite obviously dims. This never happens at night and seems to only happen on bright sunny days. It’s almost like some adaptive lighting setting but for the life of me I can’t find any documentation on it, if it exists. I have the M sport package if that makes a difference and the iDrive screen dims as well. It’s not like a short where it would black out but more a gradual dim. It doesn’t go all the way out to black but it makes it somewhat difficult to read. Is this some annoying adaptive lighting thing, and if so how do I turn it off? Or is it just some weird bug I need to get fixed before the warranty runs out? I’ve search the forums and found nothing. Thanks in advance for your input.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 09:06 AM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzz4Man View Post
... get fixed before the warranty runs out ...
I'd do something along these lines, ask the dealer about it, get it recorded that you asked about it. If they call it normal, or have no idea what to do, or can't duplicate it or something, and then it does totally fail after the warranty expires you might be able to still get it fixed for free if you can show that you brought it to them while it was still under warranty.
Appreciate 1
Zzz4Man22.50
      04-22-2024, 11:05 AM   #4
Christos
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 s3.0 Msport

My 2019 has done that a few times, not recent though. I'll keep an eye out for it and the conditions when it happens
Zzz4Man22.50