BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum G29 - Trouble / Gremlins / other Issues

04-12-2022, 07:41 AM   #309
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

In one of my thus-far brief forays into the user manual, I read that the parking brake can be used while moving as an emergency brake to slow or stop the car. So that it’s not disabled while driving is intentional.

But putting similarly shaped/sized and operating switches right next to each other and out of direct line of sight when driving does seem like an opportunity for use of the wrong button.

And I made the opposite mistake at least once in the 2 weeks since I took delivery of my Z4: I pushed down on the parking brake button a few times wondering why the top wasn’t lowering.

You can likely train yourself to remember/know that the left-most switch is for the brake, feel for both, and then select the rightmost switch - that can be autonomic if you do it enough, I’d expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinbc View Post
Not a gremlin but maybe a bit if a design flaw, god knows it couldn't be user error . Anyone pull the e brake switch while slow rolling intending to put the top up? Just me?

Last edited by ebirotedu; 04-12-2022 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
stlcdr1014.50
      04-12-2022, 07:41 AM   #310
spbonzo
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastakko View Post
I've seen mentioned about rattle behind driver with top up. I think it's either the black plastic cover on the roll br or that flap thingy for the top as it sits aga8the top when it's closed.

I have this issue too, has anyone found a remedy?
I suffered from this. It drove me mad.

I solved it by lowering the top, removing the wind deflector and pressing down on the plastic between the two roll bars. Rattle fixed!

It came back once after the car hit a pot hole so I assume it's easily dislodged. The car is 3 years old in June so I think I'll get it looked at under warranty just in case there's something they can do.
Appreciate 1
Mastakko181.00
      04-24-2022, 09:08 PM   #311
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

New 2022 Z4 M40i

- Tactile vibration in steering wheel at 110kph+. Not a shake, but vibration which feels exactly like steering warning vibration.

- Driver side window automatic down stops just shy of full down. I have tried holding buttons to reset endpoints. This seemed to work for 1 retry, but then it's back to how it was before.

- Ambient lighting in doors doesn't dim with setting to dim during night. Either an IDrive bug or this is how it has always been on the car. I could have sworn my 2020 Z4 dimmed the door lights too. My X6 does of course.

- Can't set automatic time zone. Time zones are buggy in IDrive and BMW still hasn't quite fixed this. Maybe they never will?

Feedback on the steering wheel vibration is appreciated.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 07:14 PM   #312
SMD001
Private
Rep
Drives: 15'SLK55,11'GSvette,22'Z4M40i

Couple things:

I have pulled the e-brake by mistake, whilst moving. Very effective at halting forward progress.

The throttle delay is gets getting more common. Basically, from a stop the car has significant delay, as if the throttle blades arrest opening and honestly it is unnerving when pulling into traffic. Did it again today. I pushed the gas pedal all the way down and it hesitated and then took off.

Not good. Will be getting it in soon to see what’s up.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 07:39 PM   #313
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
New 2022 Z4 M40i

- Tactile vibration in steering wheel at 110kph+. Not a shake, but vibration which feels exactly like steering warning vibration.

- Driver side window automatic down stops just shy of full down. I have tried holding buttons to reset endpoints. This seemed to work for 1 retry, but then it's back to how it was before.

- Ambient lighting in doors doesn't dim with setting to dim during night. Either an IDrive bug or this is how it has always been on the car. I could have sworn my 2020 Z4 dimmed the door lights too. My X6 does of course.

- Can't set automatic time zone. Time zones are buggy in IDrive and BMW still hasn't quite fixed this. Maybe they never will?

Feedback on the steering wheel vibration is appreciated.

Rob
The steering wheel vibration could easily be an unbalanced wheel. Difficult to imagine it being anything else (bent wheel, but not likely). Find a shop that does road force balancing, it's worth the extra money.

Auto time zone didn't work for me either.

Charles
      04-26-2022, 10:24 PM   #314
goat30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Support from Driver Assistance Restricted message has been driving me nuts for past couple of days. Had a couple of trips without it going off, so thought it had gone away, but it is back with a vengeance and pops up every few seconds now, followed by a no issues found message, circle goes green again, then it repeats . . Had to turn off the Blind Spot Detection in the Individual settings to turn off the every few seconds dinging reminder that I just passed 50k miles, so warranty is out the door, short of any good will repairs. Time for a 2023 order . . .

"You can continue driving. Driver Assistance permanently restricted. If the problem recurs, have it checked by your service center. Affected Systems: Active Blind Spot Detection"
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 01:55 AM   #315
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
The steering wheel vibration could easily be an unbalanced wheel. Difficult to imagine it being anything else (bent wheel, but not likely). Find a shop that does road force balancing, it's worth the extra money.

Auto time zone didn't work for me either.

Charles
I had the car in last week and the tech verified the vibration issue. They road force balanced the tires and said it was fixed, but it's not. I let my salesguy test drive it today and while I was in the passenger seat, at one point I could feel vibration in the chassis and my seat.

I'm not sure it's tire related any more. The vibration does not speed up or slow down with the speed of the vehicle. It's a very fast buzzing feel. Some times it's constant, a few times it was coming and going every 2 or 3 seconds. The steering wheel does not move when the vibration happens.

So I have it booked in next Wednesday at the dealership.

The vehicle is brand new, only 600 kilometers on the odo.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 06:38 AM   #316
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Given that the vibration isn’t speed dependent, that should eliminate a lot of potential sources (wheels/tires, engine, transmission, driveline, axle shafts, etc.). I wonder if it’s the EPAS motor?

Hope you get it diagnosed and fixed soon!

Quote:
I had the car in last week and the tech verified the vibration issue. They road force balanced the tires and said it was fixed, but it's not. I let my salesguy test drive it today and while I was in the passenger seat, at one point I could feel vibration in the chassis and my seat.

I'm not sure it's tire related any more. The vibration does not speed up or slow down with the speed of the vehicle. It's a very fast buzzing feel. Some times it's constant, a few times it was coming and going every 2 or 3 seconds. The steering wheel does not move when the vibration happens.

So I have it booked in next Wednesday at the dealership.

The vehicle is brand new, only 600 kilometers on the odo.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 05:36 PM   #317
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirotedu View Post
Given that the vibration isn’t speed dependent, that should eliminate a lot of potential sources (wheels/tires, engine, transmission, driveline, axle shafts, etc.). I wonder if it’s the EPAS motor?

Hope you get it diagnosed and fixed soon!
I hope so too! I'm dreading a long, involved process of repeated shop visits.... It could be moot though as I will probably need to give up the Z4 soon anyhow.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 10:36 PM   #318
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

The steering wheel vibration issue seems to be resolved. Tires were removed again, balance checked (good) and put back on. It just seems better now so I'll leave it at that.

2 new gremlins:

The driver side mirror has sometimes gone way out of adjustment by itself. I think it could be related to the automatic folding, but I have no proof yet. It's done this only a few times, but the last time was last night.

Another weird gremlin is the automatic high beam not always turning on the high beam when there's no cars in sight and no other light sources present. Out for a drive last night and auto high beam was not working as I would expect. I was driving through very dark areas and the high beam just stayed off.

High beams are somewhat underwhelming on this car.

Rob
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2022, 09:00 AM   #319
Living Dead
Zed Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD001 View Post
Couple things:

I have pulled the e-brake by mistake, whilst moving. Very effective at halting forward progress.

The throttle delay is gets getting more common. Basically, from a stop the car has significant delay, as if the throttle blades arrest opening and honestly it is unnerving when pulling into traffic. Did it again today. I pushed the gas pedal all the way down and it hesitated and then took off.

Same throttle delay has been happening to my 2020 m40 recently, at first I thought it was the auto stop but then I noticed it happening when I had it turned off. Very unnerving to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 04:58 AM   #320
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

I determined the cause of the driver side mirror being out of position. For some reason, seat setting 2 was loading at times and that had the mirror saved in the wrong position. I don't recall ever accidently pressing the button and I've always used the same key fob... Shrugs... I guess I must have hit the button by accident and never noticed.

Rob
Appreciate 2
ebirotedu1460.00
      05-26-2022, 06:45 PM   #321
SMD001
Private
Rep
Drives: 15'SLK55,11'GSvette,22'Z4M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
Same throttle delay has been happening to my 2020 m40 recently, at first I thought it was the auto stop but then I noticed it happening when I had it turned off. Very unnerving to say the least.
I haven’t experienced it again. I’m wondering now that it’s warmer outside if the ambient air and humidity had an affect on a sensor? Not sure, but I will still report the issue when it goes in for its first service.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 06:25 AM   #322
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
I am fairly certain I have (rarely) experienced throttle delay on my 2022 Z4 M40i, but not recently. I never experienced it on any of my other BMW nor my 2020 Z4 M40i. I don't know what the first tank of gas was, but I only put in Shell 91, zero ethanol gas.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 09:43 AM   #323
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
I am fairly certain I have (rarely) experienced throttle delay on my 2022 Z4 M40i, but not recently. I never experienced it on any of my other BMW nor my 2020 Z4 M40i. I don't know what the first tank of gas was, but I only put in Shell 91, zero ethanol gas.

Rob
Is Shell 91 the highest octane available in Canada?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 09:12 AM   #324
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Where I live it seems to be. Some other larger cities in other provinces may have Shell 93 Octane. Only Esso and Shell advertise 'no ethanol' premium.

There is a (Shell) Flying J truck stop nearby and it states on the pumps that all blends have up to 10% ethanol. So I avoid buying gas there.

Inside the gas door, a sticker even recommends Shell premium gas.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 05:25 PM   #325
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
The 91 octane at higher altitudes (think Colorado) works as well as 93 octane in at lower altitude (think Florida) and is cheaper to produce. Less dense air at higher elevations reduces the chance of engine knock thus the lower octane gas.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 01:20 AM   #326
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
The 91 octane at higher altitudes (think Colorado) works as well as 93 octane in at lower altitude (think Florida) and is cheaper to produce. Less dense air at higher elevations reduces the chance of engine knock thus the lower octane gas.
It's all flat here... like my butt...

Rob
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2022, 09:25 AM   #327
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
It's all flat here... like my butt...

Rob
But is it high and flat or low and flat.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 05:26 PM   #328
pinky2022
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD001 View Post
Couple things:

Did you see the recall on x3 x4 xt for the same issue recently?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 05:40 PM   #329
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
But is it high and flat or low and flat.
It changes like the tides... Where were we again?

Rob
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 08:05 PM   #330
Mastakko
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4 30i

Garage List
Oil Leak Detected

Came home today and noticed fluid under my car where I usually park it. I hadn't driven my car for a almost 2 weeks so I'm thinking during this time some of the leaking oil accumulated enough to actually drip onto the garage floor.

Oddly enough it's on the driver side under the front bumper, but looks like it is trailing from further back. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this and what I should look out for, I've also noticed my fuel level has gone down somewhat from looking on Bimmerlink as well as the in car measurement app thingy.
Appreciate 0