BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Instrument cluster without enhanced features

03-19-2024, 08:41 PM   #23
MadBullogna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Some folks want to remain in a prior (or four-decades prior) existence, reminiscing about the ‘good ole days’, even in 2024/25. If a ‘simplistic’ display as that is still ‘too much’, honestly, this isn’t the vehicle for them. I dunno what else to say….times evolve, we evolve with them, or we’re left in the dust with nothing but a used Yugo, /shakes head. Good luck to whomever only wants to buy a new manufacturer vehicle with two or three sole analog gauges, gonna be waiting awhile I reckon.

E; maybe we should go back to manual ‘verts, that was cool. Or non-power assisted drum brakes all around, 1,200ft stopping distances were cool too. To stay on track & not as ‘arseholey’, at a certain point, we have to move forward IMO. Take what we can get, which is an array of display options to satisfy the majority of buyers, and move on.
Appreciate 1
AESZ4199.50
      03-19-2024, 08:59 PM   #24
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBullogna View Post
Some folks want to remain in a prior (or four-decades prior) existence, reminiscing about the ‘good ole days’, even in 2024/25. If a ‘simplistic’ display as that is still ‘too much’, honestly, this isn’t the vehicle for them. I dunno what else to say….times evolve, we evolve with them, or we’re left in the dust with nothing but a used Yugo, /shakes head. Good luck to whomever only wants to buy a new manufacturer vehicle with two or three sole analog gauges, gonna be waiting awhile I reckon.

E; maybe we should go back to manual ‘verts, that was cool. Or non-power assisted drum brakes all around, 1,200ft stopping distances were cool too. To stay on track & not as ‘arseholey’, at a certain point, we have to move forward IMO. Take what we can get, which is an array of display options to satisfy the majority of buyers, and move on.
Yeah, of all things to worry about, this person is really concerned with the gauge cluster and the backwards tach you get used to in 3 days. Seems like an odd hill to die on
Appreciate 2
AESZ4199.50
      03-19-2024, 09:16 PM   #25
MadBullogna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
Yeah, of all things to worry about, this person is really concerned with the gauge cluster and the backwards tach you get used to in 3 days. Seems like an odd hill to die on
TBF, I’m not trying to judge the OP, we all have our likes/dislikes, wants/needs, no-go/go list when car shopping. And at this price point, those desires are important. (That’s why I tried to add a caveat to not be a prick). But also, it’s literally 2024, things progress. We’ve got bare-bones domestic autos that even include tech such as auto fold-in mirrors & such. At the end of the day, the manufacturers make the decisions on what they believe folks want, (even with lower-sales models ala G29). I’d personally prefer more tech in it, but feel it’s a great balance to the few other options out there. If I couldn’t live with those options, I’d steer myself elsewhere, as I have with every car/truck we’ve bought the past ~30 years. I’m certainly not going to look at altering something as vital as a gauge cluster, eliminating virtually any resale ability & opening a ‘can-o-worms’ with the manufacturer of a new vehicle, I’d just move along, in OPs case, likely researching 2+ decade autos that suit my desires. No point spending the cash if you hate it out of the gate. Better to pickup an older dream on BAT & make it my own.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 10:19 PM   #26
iklo2
Private
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:

Times are slow to evolve over at the $150k+ 911 land:

Last edited by iklo2; 03-19-2024 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 11:36 PM   #27
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
maybe we should go back to manual ‘verts, that was cool. Or non-power assisted drum brakes all around, 1,200ft stopping distances were cool too. To stay on track & not as ‘arseholey’, at a certain point, we have to move forward IMO. Take what we can get, which is an array of display options to satisfy the majority of buyers, and move on.
FWIW, the manual top on the modern Miata is excellent and goes up or down faster than any power top. If you get caught in the rain, reach back with your right arm to grab the front edge, pull it closed and latch it, less than 5 seconds total. Not everything needs to be "Germanized" to be functional and efficient.

That said, I generally agree with your point. I appreciate most of the data presented, no complaints, but I do wish it could be more customizable. BMW left things on the table when deciding what options to allow customization of.

For example, an 8-point compass display at the bottom of the instrument cluster (N, NE, E, etc.). It can be coded to display in the instrument cluster with ESYS so the car and cluster have the capability. Why not provide an option for it in the display settings? My Z4 doesn't have a HUD ('22 supply chain shortage) and I use Apple CarPlay so I have found no other means to display a compass. For many years, I have enjoyed driving to parts unknown then challenging myself to find my way home using the compass (when sun isn't visible) and I've it to be a good reference point on many other occasions, but I digress.

Not that it's worth anything but my vote is for more available display options where you can choose from truly minimalist to data overload and anything in between. I'm sure BMW will get right on it.
Appreciate 2
Amadeo391.50
      03-20-2024, 07:36 AM   #28
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
Not that it's worth anything but my vote is for more available display options where you can choose from truly minimalist to data overload and anything in between. I'm sure BMW will get right on it.
100% agreed, I'd love to customize my display. I also see that most people won't care and that there's no way it'd be worth BMW providing the option. And unlikely anyone to do the work to DIY something and make it available to the rest of us!
Appreciate 1
StanDiego6248.50
      03-20-2024, 08:52 AM   #29
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
100% agreed, I'd love to customize my display. I also see that most people won't care and that there's no way it'd be worth BMW providing the option. And unlikely anyone to do the work to DIY something and make it available to the rest of us!
Exactly, BMW is producing a product that the vast majority of potential owners will like to use.

This is slightly OT but I owned a Pioneer Kuro Elite plasma TV for almost 11 years. When it was first introduced, their Kuro Elite line received the best reviews for the quality of their picture of any TV ever made. It had the blackest blacks and the most brilliant colors that literally exploded off of the screen. Over time the quality of the image on my plasma screen started to change but it was still better than the LED TV's being shipped so I never purchased a new set until the OLED sets were introduced to the market. When the 3rd generation of OLED's that were manufactured by LG and Sony were released and being an educated consumer I waited for a great holiday sale and purchased one. Yes, I was sad to see my Pioneer depart but at some point in time technology does rule and you can't stay rooted in the past.

Perhaps this isn't an apples to apples comparison but the moral of my story is that you can hold onto the past if you wish but technology does progress and at some point you need to break free and move forward. I really loved the old analog displays but I can also appreciate the many new and advanced options that the new one in my G29 offers.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 10:34 AM   #30
vertigo corsa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 AMG C63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by iklo2 View Post
Times are slow to evolve over at the $150k+ 911 land
...and many over at Rennlist are still pissed that the flat 6 went watercooled
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 12:05 PM   #31
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
Compass
I don't use CarPlay for anything. Is it better?
Name:  IMG_3331.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  180.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3329.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  206.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3328.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  240.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 12:32 PM   #32
iklo2
Private
Rep

I coded compass into my present F10, but rarely look at it as it is just redundant to the one already displayed in the nav screen. Much preferred the one in the rear view mirror in the E90 back when.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 12:51 PM   #33
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
I don't use CarPlay for anything. Is it better?
The answer is subjective but, for many people, yes, dramatically better. I have much better control of the music on my iPhone than the native interface but the game changer for me is the Waze app that I use for navigation. Not only is it more accurate than the native application, live data is crowd sourced to provide info on traffic, construction, obstacles, potholes, police, etc. It's probably not of great use for those who live and drive in rural areas due to limited crowd sourced info but for those living in cities and metro areas, it's immensely helpful. Of course, the info is only as good as the data input (other drivers reporting events) so it isn't 100% accurate but it's so much better than any alternative.

On one occasion, it helped me to avoid missing my flight, re-routing me on a trip to the airport due to a serious accident that delayed traffic on my normal route for hours (I live on the opposite side of the Mississippi River from the airport so routes to the airport are limited). On another occasion on a trip from St. Louis to Florida, it re-routed me because of a major bridge closed for emergency construction at Memphis, saving me approximately 2 hours on my trip.

On numerous occasions, Waze has warned me of objects on the road, enabling me to be aware and avoid them.

Additionally, my other vehicle is a Subaru but, because it also supports CarPlay, all locations and destinations saved with Waze, are accessible on both vehicles. Because of all this, I virtually never drive without Waze, even when driving other cars and rentals that support CarPlay.
Appreciate 5
      03-20-2024, 01:03 PM   #34
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Also the included NAV and some features built into the stock head unit will be needing a paid subscription update.
I think I still have a year left, once the automatic nav map updates and traffic go away….CarPlay will become my only way to travel.
Appreciate 3
      03-20-2024, 02:16 PM   #35
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
I think I still have a year left, once the automatic nav map updates and traffic go away….CarPlay will become my only way to travel.
I had a question, it turned into questions!

What's the approx subscription cost for the car keeping it's abilities?

Does it have something akin to a sim card and 5G, like a phone, just without it's own phone number?

About how much data does using the phone instead pull?

Questions are for anyone who knows. I used to be a tech guy, but I haven't had a new car for a long time, there are a boatload more options than before.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 02:35 PM   #36
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I had a question, it turned into questions!

What's the approx subscription cost for the car keeping it's abilities?

Does it have something akin to a sim card and 5G, like a phone, just without it's own phone number?

About how much data does using the phone instead pull?

Questions are for anyone who knows. I used to be a tech guy, but I haven't had a new car for a long time, there are a boatload more options than before.
I believe the price to keep features runs about $150 for a year.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 02:41 PM   #37
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Times are slow to evolve over at the $150k+ 911 land
Sorry to change the subject, but I’m always amazed at that crappy 992 interior in a $150-200k car. Unless you pony up for leather and/or alcantara everywhere, CF trim and some tasteful colors, it’s a bland environment. The piano black and the tacky heated / ventilated seat buttons are the worst part along with that dinky little gear selector.

The 991 interior is more sophisticated. I sat in an R with its gorgeous CF trim everywhere and those beautiful plaid bucket seats - now that is special. But this 992 is not even built well. I’ve seen guys on YouTube take delivery of their 190k GTS and find panels wobbling and seats bolted in the wrong place etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 04:02 PM   #38
iklo2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Sorry to change the subject, but I’m always amazed at that crappy 992 interior in a $150-200k car. Unless you pony up for leather and/or alcantara everywhere, CF trim and some tasteful colors, it’s a bland environment. The piano black and the tacky heated / ventilated seat buttons are the worst part along with that dinky little gear selector.

The 991 interior is more sophisticated. I sat in an R with its gorgeous CF trim everywhere and those beautiful plaid bucket seats - now that is special. But this 992 is not even built well. I’ve seen guys on YouTube take delivery of their 190k GTS and find panels wobbling and seats bolted in the wrong place etc.
I'll be the last one to advocate for 992, but speaking of tacky - can there be anything more despicable than plastic-like g29 vernasca which almost feels like it was put there on purpose, in case the depends have malfunctioned...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 04:05 PM   #39
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll be the last one to advocate for 992, but speaking of tacky - can there be anything more despicable than plastic-like g29 vernasca which almost feels like it was put there on purpose, in case the depends have malfunctioned...
It sounds like this may not be the car for you. Between the gauge cluster and the interior, maybe there's a better option?

FWIW, I have the Ivory White Vernasca and it has held up very well. No stains or anything, and still looks new.
      03-20-2024, 04:06 PM   #40
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
I'll be the last one to advocate for 992, but speaking of tacky - can there be anything more despicable than plastic like g29 vernasca which almost feels like it was put there on purpose, in case the depends have malfunctioned...
Hahahaha. You’re a bit too harsh on this issue tbh- it’s not that bad and it holds up extremely well. It’s also comfortable. And it’s a $50k car at the low end. BMW should have optioned merino though. For the $75k high end price it deserves it. Although the M2 also has this vernasca unless you opt for the currently unavailable carbon buckets which use merino. This is one reason bumping up to the M3/4 makes sense, but you can’t get a manual M4 cabrio.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 04:10 PM   #41
iklo2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
It sounds like this may not be the car for you. Between the gauge cluster and the interior, maybe there's a better option?

FWIW, I have the Ivory White Vernasca and it has held up very well. No stains or anything, and still looks new.
FWIW, I have the Ivory White Nappa and it has held up very well. No stains or anything, and still looks new. After 10 years that is. And, unlike Vernasca, it is pleasant to seat on.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 04:29 PM   #42
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
FWIW, I have the Ivory White Nappa and it has held up very well. No stains or anything, and still looks new. After 10 years that is. And, unlike Vernasca, it is pleasant to seat on.
Pics to prove it?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 04:34 PM   #43
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you have a convertible, where the seats are more exposed to the elements and direct sunlight?
      03-20-2024, 04:34 PM   #44
iklo2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Pics to prove it?
As per my signature line on Bimmerfest. Same nickname:
14' LCI 535i M-Sport MT 704 HK Comfort seats Winter pkg. Personally special ordered. 02/25/14 production date. The last manual F10 in the World.
Appreciate 0