BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Test drove a 370z...WORST EXPERIENCE EVER

04-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #67
Gotadime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
+ Yeah, this sounds very much like a limit. The limit of your bank balance.
Once again, just like you quoted me (twice now), I don't have $30,000 to spend on a car. I have a limit. Is that hard to comprehend?

I specialize in Automotive Photography. Visit my site here.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #68
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Gotadime, okay let's be serious and mature here. And I mean it with sincerity.

There are all kinds of salespeople out there. All with their own personalities and with their own sales strategies. There are all kinds of franchises out there, too. Good ones and not so good ones.

As somebody ready to buy a car (and a car is considered a big purchase), you should be all ready to go with all your ducks in a row. If you need to simply test drive a car, you really should call ahead and make an appointment. It's very common to do so and it will get you a lot more respect. Trust me on that one.

Tell the salesperson that you want to drive XYZ model and that's all for today. You have to understand that the only reason the salesperson is there is to make an income. And that they are there every day; time is all they have. You, on the other hand, don't have the time to play around. Time is money.

When buying a car you shouldn't even set foot in the dealer's shop until you are ready to actually buy. I've even rented cars that I was interested in (Enterprise has a high-end and exotic division) because a test drive never reveals a lot.

My point being is that buying a car isn't like shopping for clothes. Sure it can appear to be a big candy store to car enthusiasts, but remember these things are pure commodities and the bottom line for any dealer is to sell them. As a consumer why waste your time. fwiw, the last car I bought (a 2009 E63 AMG) I called dealers and then made a deal with one over the phone. They picked me up at home. I checked out the car and then signed and was out the door in about an hour.

I think the mistake is thinking that you (and me) are to expect some sort of special treatment when buying commodities like cars (which are sold by the hundreds day in and day out.) Sure, a good salesperson will deliver good service and bank on building client rapport for possible future sales. But they are human, too. And they aren't infallible.

But my point is, that when you are ready to buy a car then just go in and buy it. If the salesperson doesn't fit you quite right, then walk out and buy online from another dealer. Or ask for another salesperson.

I think you took it all too personally. Perhaps because you're young still and get a little bit more touchy when feeling dissed. When you get older and been there, done that, you won't care anymore.

It's not a big deal. It happens with lots of shopping experiences of all kinds. It's not worth posting on a forum unless you were really scammed and want to warn people about it.

Good luck on your next purchase.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #69
Gotadime
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
It's not a big deal. It happens with lots of shopping experiences of all kinds. It's not worth posting on a forum unless you were really scammed and want to warn people about it.

Good luck on your next purchase.
I completely agree with everything you said. Granted, I do think that buying a car should be a good experience, but it's fine to run into bad ones every now and then. I really didn't take it as a big deal either. I was simply replying to a guys 370Z thread, my reply got long, and I started a thread instead of making a huge reply. Simple.

Not saying that you did, because you didn't, but I have no idea why people think that it's their job to patrol forums and go off on everything / everyone that they disagree with. It was just a rant, not a quest for life guidance.

But, once again, thanks for the advice and for conducting yourself in a calm way.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #70
Gotadime
Private First Class
Rep

Anyway, just so you guys know, I'm done with this thread. I don't say that in a harsh way or anything, but I've spent too much time explaining this thing for no reason at all. So, make of it what you will and thanks to the people who gave me advice.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #71
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I will give you this.

Your grammar, spelling and punctuation are better than 98% of the stuff I read on here.

Don't sweat the small stuff and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #72
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

I just don't understand why you are bagging on the 370Z just because you had a lousy dealer experience? The one I drove was very quick and stuck to the road like glue. The synchro-rev 6MT is one of the coolest new features to come along in decades and the interior is a vast improvement over the 350Z. If I didn't need 4 seats I would be driving a 370Z right now....
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #73
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Yesterday I went to test drive the 370z 40th Anniversary Edition...

I was standing around the car when i was approached by the salesman. First thing that comes out of his mouth "Want to work out the numbers?" I said "Already? You're kidding right?" The car was locked and i couldn't even get inside to even sit in it. He asked, "Can you afford 600 a month?" which i completely ignored.. I said "I'm not going to waste my time working out numbers for a car that I have no idea how it rides. So I would like to take it for a test drive." He made a stupid face and said the following, "So you are in the market for a sports coupe and you don't want to work out numbers, all you want to do is take the cars out for a ride?" i guess my concept of car shopping is incorrect Get this, that same dealer is suppose to be the #1 selling around the valley

After that I just went to the Mazda dealer to test drive the RX8 "R3" and I was impressed.
Also test drove the 2010 Mustang GT and it was Sweeeet! I'm gonna go ahead and wait for the 5.0 before my next move
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #74
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post

Yesterday I went to test drive the 370z 40th Anniversary Edition...

I was standing around the car when i was approached by the salesman. First thing that comes out of his mouth "Want to work out the numbers?" I said "Already? You're kidding right?" The car was locked and i couldn't even get inside to even sit in it. He asked, "Can you afford 600 a month?" which i completely ignored.. I said "I'm not going to waste my time working out numbers for a car that I have no idea how it rides. So I would like to take it for a test drive." He made a stupid face and said the following, "So you are in the market for a sports coupe and you don't want to work out numbers, all you want to do is take the cars out for a ride?" i guess my concept of car shopping is incorrect Get this, that same dealer is suppose to be the #1 selling around the valley

After that I just went to the Mazda dealer to test drive the RX8 "R3" and I was impressed.
Also test drove the 2010 Mustang GT and it was Sweeeet! I'm gonna go ahead and wait for the 5.0 before my next move
Well, the numbers are all that really matter. You know the car. There are thousands of them out there and people are buying them every day. You're not picking a car based on a "test drive" at the dealer. Why not figure out how much it will cost you out the door before you "test drive" at that dealer? Do you try on any suit at the clothing store or do you only try on suits that fit your budget? I don't think it's too unusual for a salesperson to feel you out by starting with the budget first.

Every salesperson has their own way with dealing with tire kickers. Imagine yourself as a car salesperson, day in and day out. With a previous Porsche 993 of mine, I had to deal with so many tire kickers that I took it off of Autotrader. It was such a waste of time. I finally just sold it word of mouth, even though it took a year.

Are you actually buying a car now? Or did you just want to kill some time and "test drive" whatever. If you're truly serious you do your research on line, figure out what you want to pay for the thing, and then you just go in and buy the damn thing. Playing around at the car dealership is so old school. It's just a waste of everybody's time.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #75
CaptainDang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i,911,ISF

I would have to agree with the OP about the Nissan dealer experience. Horrible!

I've purchased Honda's, Subaru's, Lexus', Toyota's, and BMW's. All have been pretty straight forward with not much drama.

About a month ago I decided to look for a fun car. My JB3 335i steptronic sedan is fast and powerful, but it lacks a lot of soul. It almost feels....boring.

I use my 335i has my daily driver but I needed something that was the complete opposite for the weekends, so here comes the 370Z. I really loved the redesign, I mean they shaved off 200lbs from the 350Z with extensive use of aluminum on the doors, hood, and hatch. Plus carbon fiber front support and driveshaft. This is a serious car.

I loved the interior also, in my opinion feels and looks better than Infiniti's interiors. HUGE upgrade from the 350Z.

The dealer experience on the other hand was HORRIFIC. Basically take everything bad about new car buying and that's what you get at a Nissan
dealership. They will play every single scam in the book. Basically after buying my 370Z, I couldn't sleep for 2 nights because of how pissed off at the experience. The car has been a dream, but the experience getting it was terrible. If I ever had to get another Nissan, I'm going through Costco, even if I have to pay more.

In the end she was worth it. =)

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #76
Kream
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe, 11 GLK350

Nice car! I was never a fan of the styling cue of the 350 but hit me with the 370. It brings back the old Datsun 280 feel when I look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDang View Post
I loved the interior also, in my opinion feels and looks better than Infiniti's interiors. HUGE upgrade from the 350Z.
Really? I used to own an 08 G37S Coupe and it's practically the same. Minus the sportier rev/speedometer and the 3 center gauges. But yes, big upgrade from the 350.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #77
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

About the being able to afford fiasco, good that you can afford a 330. This only highlights that you are tight enough to be able to afford a car that costs about $24,000 but cannot stretch to $30,000

You know if you really did some research, you would know that Nissan dealers are giving 370's away for much less than invoice. You would theoretically be able to "afford" one. Not bothered to read the rest.
First, this makes you sound like a GIANT douche. Some people can't afford as much as others, that is a fact. You trying to make fun of someone for not being able to afford as much as you can makes you an asshole.

Oh, and that first line pretty much tells the world that you really don't know how to explain what you previously tried to say. Good work!

Quote:
Well, the numbers are all that really matter. You know the car. There are thousands of them out there and people are buying them every day. You're not picking a car based on a "test drive" at the dealer. Why not figure out how much it will cost you out the door before you "test drive" at that dealer? Do you try on any suit at the clothing store or do you only try on suits that fit your budget? I don't think it's too unusual for a salesperson to feel you out by starting with the budget first.
Are you a car salesman or something?

Talking about numbers has nothing to do with your budget. It is 100% okay for you to take a test drive first. As you said you know the car (meaning the MSRP.. and maybe even the invoice if you're not a moron). You do not know how it drives though, according to your personal preferences. I would never waste 2+ hours of my time back and forthing it with any salesman before driving the car. There is no reason to be ready to buy the car cause the numbers look good before finding out I don't love driving it and just having to walk out. That wastes my time and the sales persons time. It is just stupid to assume anyone in this forum talked the numbers out on their vehicle before even driving it (unless they ordered it before it was available).
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #78
CaptainDang
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kream View Post
Nice car! I was never a fan of the styling cue of the 350 but hit me with the 370. It brings back the old Datsun 280 feel when I look at it.

Really? I used to own an 08 G37S Coupe and it's practically the same. Minus the sportier rev/speedometer and the 3 center gauges. But yes, big upgrade from the 350.
Thanks Kream, my friend has an 09 G37S quality wise they are very similar but I don't like Infiniti's extensive use of the "washi" paper aluminum on the interior. The whole center section is made from that stuff and to me it looks cheap. The 370Z's center is wrapped in leather so it feels more upscale to me.

Also I don't understand why people complain about the road noise in the 370Z, it's not even that bad at all. On most smooth roads it's almost as quiet as my 335i. It is a sports car so there will be more road noise but it's MUCH more quieter than my old 05 STi, and rides better on the rough stuff than my sport package 335i. My 335i crashes over every tiny road imperfection, potholes feel like it's gonna tear the car apart. The 370Z takes them much better and more composed.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 11:28 PM   #79
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
entrepreneurs dont get pushed around, they do the pushing.
      04-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #80
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDang View Post
I would have to agree with the OP about the Nissan dealer experience. Horrible!

I've purchased Honda's, Subaru's, Lexus', Toyota's, and BMW's. All have been pretty straight forward with not much drama.

About a month ago I decided to look for a fun car. My JB3 335i steptronic sedan is fast and powerful, but it lacks a lot of soul. It almost feels....boring.

I use my 335i has my daily driver but I needed something that was the complete opposite for the weekends, so here comes the 370Z. I really loved the redesign, I mean they shaved off 200lbs from the 350Z with extensive use of aluminum on the doors, hood, and hatch. Plus carbon fiber front support and driveshaft. This is a serious car.

The dealer experience on the other hand was HORRIFIC. Basically take everything bad about new car buying and that's what you get at a Nissan
dealership. They will play every single scam in the book. Basically after buying my 370Z, I couldn't sleep for 2 nights because of how pissed off at the experience. The car has been a dream, but the experience getting it was terrible. If I ever had to get another Nissan, I'm going through Costco, even if I have to pay more.

In the end she was worth it. =)

I had a 350Z... just can't get over the looks of the 370. I agree w/ the 335i though... kinda boring (I don't even have any power mods) and the RFTs are too harsh for this kind of car. I'm glad the 370Z still has teh fun factor though.
      04-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #81
CaptainDang
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
I had a 350Z... just can't get over the looks of the 370. I agree w/ the 335i though... kinda boring (I don't even have any power mods) and the RFTs are too harsh for this kind of car. I'm glad the 370Z still has teh fun factor though.
Thanks Kampfer, I appreciate your opinion, I am the opposite though, I couldn't stand the looks of the 350Z but fell in love with the 370Z. I think the porportions are just right, wider, lower, shorter. This car is buckets of fun. It's supposed to be my weekend car but I find myself driving it to work also, the 335i is getting a bit lonely.

I went through 4 sets of tires on the 335i trying to find a balance of ride quality and handling. I ended up with Continental ContiSportContact 2's non-RTF's, the car smoothed out but still rode rough.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #82
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Are you a car salesman or something?
Nope, sorry. Can't give you a deal

Quote:
Talking about numbers has nothing to do with your budget. It is 100% okay for you to take a test drive first. As you said you know the car (meaning the MSRP.. and maybe even the invoice if you're not a moron). You do not know how it drives though, according to your personal preferences. I would never waste 2+ hours of my time back and forthing it with any salesman before driving the car. There is no reason to be ready to buy the car cause the numbers look good before finding out I don't love driving it and just having to walk out. That wastes my time and the sales persons time. It is just stupid to assume anyone in this forum talked the numbers out on their vehicle before even driving it (unless they ordered it before it was available).
Actually, I've bought several new vehicles off the dealer's inventory without ever test driving them.

I already knew enough about them, plus had either driven a colleague's car or rented one for a day to really test drive it (the only way to really find out if the car fits or not, imho.) I knew what I wanted. And when I went to the dealer it was just to finalize the deal and pick the car up.

If you're really ready to buy, then the numbers are all that matter. You can get invoice pricing but you also need to spend some time working either lease, finance, or outright buy, and find out what kind of trunk money is floating around, etc.. Sure you can do a lot of that in advance. But the bottom line is that you've already picked out a car. What's a 30 minute or less test drive going to tell you? You've done your homework, you know the car. You just need to get the numbers down. That is if you're truly serious about buying.

Walking into dealerships and kicking tires is a waste of time for me. Last time I bought a car (97k MSRP), I did it all by telephone. No test driving involved, just figuring the numbers. Called each dealer and worked them off each other. Finally made a deal with one, they came and picked me up at home, and in less than an hour I was done. Most of my time buying the car was done in my pajamas

Going to dealers and looking at all kinds of cars, and test driving this and that, is fun for a lot of people and that's why they like to go to the dealer and play around. It's the only time they get to drive new and different cars. Each to their own, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #83
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
It is just stupid to assume anyone in this forum talked the numbers out on their vehicle before even driving it (unless they ordered it before it was available).
AMEN! If anyone thinks I am going to talk numbers before I decide if I like the car, they're cracked. Trying to make that argument is sheer stupidity. Imagine going to Best Buy and paying for a new TV without even looking at the picture. Seriously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #84
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Nope, sorry. Can't give you a deal

Actually, I've bought several new vehicles off the dealer's inventory without ever test driving them.

I already knew enough about them, plus had either driven a colleague's car or rented one for a day to really test drive it (the only way to really find out if the car fits or not, imho.) I knew what I wanted. And when I went to the dealer it was just to finalize the deal and pick the car up.

If you're really ready to buy, then the numbers are all that matter. You can get invoice pricing but you also need to spend some time working either lease, finance, or outright buy, and find out what kind of trunk money is floating around, etc.. Sure you can do a lot of that in advance. But the bottom line is that you've already picked out a car. What's a 30 minute or less test drive going to tell you? You've done your homework, you know the car. You just need to get the numbers down. That is if you're truly serious about buying.

Walking into dealerships and kicking tires is a waste of time for me. Last time I bought a car (97k MSRP), I did it all by telephone. No test driving involved, just figuring the numbers. Called each dealer and worked them off each other. Finally made a deal with one, they came and picked me up at home, and in less than an hour I was done. Most of my time buying the car was done in my pajamas

Going to dealers and looking at all kinds of cars, and test driving this and that, is fun for a lot of people and that's why they like to go to the dealer and play around. It's the only time they get to drive new and different cars. Each to their own, I guess.
Kinda shoots down your own story, and you admit that driving it is the ONLY way to see if its a fit. You DID test drive a car, just not at a dealership. Renting a car is a great idea, IF you can find one like what you want. Last time I drove past Enterprise, I didn't see an M3 or a 370Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #85
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I already knew enough about them, plus had either driven a colleague's car or rented one for a day to really test drive it (the only way to really find out if the car fits or not, imho.)
You just said yourself you had driven the car before talking about numbers. Thanks for proving my point.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #86
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

I have access to galves.com for a few weeks, pm me the info on your car and I can give you a ballpark of what dealers are looking at in trade in.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #87
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
You just said yourself you had driven the car before talking about numbers. Thanks for proving my point.
fwiw, my point was just not test driving at the dealer. It's kinda useless to take a car out with a salesperson, imho. And the whole point is that the posts here don't seem to be really about being serious and actually buying a car, but playing around at a dealer's showroom. Since people tend to have bad experiences with salespeople (hence these sort of threads) there are other more effective ways of buying cars.

btw, Enterprise has a high-end and exotic branch. Although maybe not in the middle of nowhere like in the Midwest. It's a lot better to have the car for a whole day all to yourself, imho.

Like I said, ymmv.

Anyway, the real issue that's going on behind threads like these is that younger people feel dissed when they don't get the attention they want from car salespeople. Most of the complaining isn't about specific issues or specific dealers (pointing out a unscrupulous dealer by name would be more helpful to others here), but about how they've been treated (by age or perceived income discrimination.) That's what's really bothering them and so they rant here on the forums.

imho, one way to deal with it is to realize that cars are just commodities in the bigger picture and you are just one of a million potential buyers out there in the world. So, avoid the dealership the best you can. And quit wasting time kicking tires unless it's just fun for you.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #88
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
btw, Enterprise has a high-end and exotic branch. Although maybe not in the middle of nowhere like in the Midwest. It's a lot better to have the car for a whole day all to yourself, imho.

Anyway, the real issue that's going on behind threads like these is that younger people feel dissed when they don't get the attention they want from car salespeople. Most of the complaining isn't about specific issues or specific dealers (pointing out a unscrupulous dealer by name would be more helpful to others here), but about how they've been treated (by age or perceived income discrimination.) That's what's really bothering them and so they rant here on the forums.
Yeah, for my to rent a high end car I would have to buy a plane ticket somewhere .

As for your second point, I completely agree. It is all about how they are percieved and possible expectations. A lot of people think that since they are going in looking at 30K+ cars they will get catored to... very wrong most of the time.

I personally think forums are a good place to rant, and with enough of them maybe people's expectations will change and they won't be caught so off guard by rude sales people.
Appreciate 0