BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Dumbest panic-buy?

03-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #45
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Bullets and bandaids, sir. Bullets and bandaids.

I admit I stopped by and picked up 50 more shotgun shells. 25 of which were for snow geese supposedly, but I think the 1&2 shot would work admirably well on a number of diverse targets as I doubt I'm hunting them anymore this May.

On the chance it doesn't work well, the other 25 were all rifled slugs.

I did have a case of 250 of the .45ACP but found out when I got to the cash they wanted $170 for it. So I left it there...that's about $0.68/round. I can get it for pretty close to $0.50/round at the gun club. Assuming they have any left.

I didn't check, but I think I've got maybe 40-60 rounds of .308 still sitting in the safe. Can't hunt with that so not too worried. Then again, in the event of an apocalypse, I probably won't be concerning myself too greatly with hunting laws. Nor will there be a 3 shell limit in the shotgun either.
I love my wife, one of the first things she asked was do we have enough ammo.....God Bless her, I reassured her we did. We have a few hundred rounds of .357 for his S&W, and boxes and boxes of .38 for fall back and a few thousand rounds of 9mm which luckily will fit the Glock and the carbine. Lot of 12 gauge in various flavours for different occasions too.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3779.00
      03-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #46
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
A friend of mine in Germany says the TP panic has hit there as well. Such an odd thing to worry about.
Hey, they're just trying to cover their asses.

Last edited by pennsiveguy; 03-17-2020 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 5
Salty Dog3572.50
upstatedoc7555.50
M_Six16535.00
vreihen1614885.00
      03-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #47
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Guess I should clean my guns & maybe pull the 870 from the safe & load her extended tube up!
Did exactly that last night. Not really worried but they were all due for an oiling and this is a good excuse.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #48
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
I love my wife, one of the first things she asked was do we have enough ammo.....God Bless her, I reassured her we did. We have a few hundred rounds of .357 for his S&W, and boxes and boxes of .38 for fall back and a few thousand rounds of 9mm which luckily will fit the Glock and the carbine. Lot of 12 gauge in various flavours for different occasions too.
I don't shoot much pistol lately, but I've got enough big-bore rifle handloads to blast a hole through the earth and out the other side. And components to make probably another couple thousand rounds.
      03-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #49
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I don't shoot much pistol lately, but I've got enough big-bore rifle handloads to blast a hole through the earth and out the other side. And components to make probably another couple thousand rounds.
I've not had the desire, (and my wife says I can't buy anymore guns for a while but this might change things) to shoot large calibre rifles. I do have a Ruger Mini 14 though, I'm a fan.

I figure if shit get's real in Canada the folks that are armed won't be bothering one another and the majority of the liberals will pee their pants and run just at the sight of them. I may pick up some more ammo this afternoon, oh and some booze because it is St. Patrick's Day and I am a Murphy.
Appreciate 3
lakefront560.50
cmyx6go15561.50
vreihen1614885.00
      03-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #50
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
While just trying to re-up on ammo before my range day I've noticed .223 and 7.62 are both sold out on my typical websites.
you should have been stockpiling this whole time
Appreciate 2
Shiza1193.00
Salty Dog3572.50
      03-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #51
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

i bought nearly 50lbs of brisket, prime rib and sirloin steaks.

wanted to get chicken and ground beef but it was all sold out, but all the pricier beef was still available.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410879.00
Salty Dog3572.50
      03-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #52
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Yeah, I'm a relatively decent shot with a pistol, and am downright surgical with the .308.

The shotgun however is new to me, and I haven't really got much time with it as I still need to qualify with it at the range and haven't had the time to get out there.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      03-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #53
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Since all the state liquor stores are now closed, I got some booze. Can you call that a panic buy? I never stocked a bunch of liquor before b/c not alcoholic so...

I don't like to run out of things & may have some OCD so I already had everything I need on hand. Just got a couple normal things I needed regardless. Now I can stay home for a while unless we get some nice weather, I can take the MSM out for a top down drive & not stop anywhere. Don't forget to fill your gas tanks!
I get my wine delivered so there is no way for me to run out🍷
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2020, 11:35 AM   #54
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

We went to Safeway (grocery store chain) yesterday morning at 630 am and purchased enough food/etc for 15 days or so, and the same for my wife's 96 yr old mother that still lives on her own at home....now to my stupid purchase; I bought a bag of Frito's Scoops....at the checkout, I was helping the cashier and bagging the purchases and showed her the Frito's and she immediately said "but where's the Frito's Bean Dip?"....we went on with a few other stops (Home Depot for propane for our BBQ and Costco for more wine) and I still had the Bean Dip stuck in my head, so I made another stop and got the Bean Dip; we wore disposable latex gloves in each store and carefully discarded them in an attempt to minimize risk.
      03-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #55
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I've bought more that usual of the ice cream I like. But not absurd amount stockpiled, only have 3 spares and 1 currently open (quarts).

But walking through Walmart last night to see the damage, it's comical.
As I'm walking in this lady is looking back at me every so often and hastening her pace. Like she's trying to race me to something. I'm just shuffling through the food isles and I catch her briskly walking all over, cart with not much in it. I guess she's too late and GONNA DIE. LOL

But the things that where and where not gone was weird. All the bread was gone, except Kings buns. Full shelves of peanut butter and jam/jelly. SO I guess every one's making grilled cheese and lunch meat? Savages.

All the taco making stuff was full. Hard shells, soft, mixes, salsa's, etc. I mean it is Tuesday, no?

All the cereal was gone, sans cheerios ... but I think they just restocked them.

The garbage foods, cookies, chips, crackers where low but not gone. So people in a panic now have the intelligence to pick healthy foods? Conundrum if there ever was.

I took a part time job at a parts store. One guy had called in asking for a price. I told him it cost a pack and half of TP. We had a good laff.
This shit is out of hand.
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #56
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've not had the desire, (and my wife says I can't buy anymore guns for a while but this might change things) to shoot large calibre rifles. I do have a Ruger Mini 14 though, I'm a fan.

I figure if shit get's real in Canada the folks that are armed won't be bothering one another and the majority of the liberals will pee their pants and run just at the sight of them. I may pick up some more ammo this afternoon, oh and some booze because it is St. Patrick's Day and I am a Murphy.
Erin go bragh! My mom's side is all McDonald, Kavanagh, O'Brien, Shaw...
      03-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #57
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Erin go bragh! My mom's side is all McDonald, Kavanagh, O'Brien, Shaw...
Slainte
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2020, 11:59 AM   #58
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The pipe is pretty easy and I don't think the zombies will be concerned if you haven't qualified yet.
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2020, 12:03 PM   #59
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

tons of chicken breast and also oddly oatmeal. Both of which in my little town seem to be almost impossible to come across

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 12:05 PM   #60
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Now the strangest thing I saw at Costco was the women who had boxes of puppy pee pads. Still trying to figure out what she plans to do with pee pads.
I guess pee pads can be used as TP if you're really desperate

Quote:
I just read an article where people, mostly from the liberal haven of Calif going online trying to buy guns and trying to have it shipped to their home only to be pissed off when they are told your not allow but online and shipped to your home. Most of these people say but this is what the media and government keep saying your allowed to buy online. They are even more pissed when told most all guns have waiting period dictated by their state.

This is what happens when the media scares the hell out of people and they all went out and hoarded stuff and now want to by a gun to protect their hoard of TP only to be turned away because they believe the media was telling them the truth.
This is infuriating to me. Because some of these people are the stereotypical knee-jerk, "GUNZ R BAD" idealists who just realized reality and practicality don't give a shit. The same ones that advocate fiercely against firearms with no real knowledge or experience on the matter besides what the news told them

I'm always reminded of this video:

These are the type of people in charge of making these regulations. This is why California has a bunch of half-assed, useless gun regulations in the name of preventing gun crime ...that only hinder law abiding gun owners
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      03-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #61
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post

But the things that where and where not gone was weird. All the bread was gone, except Kings buns. Full shelves of peanut butter and jam/jelly. SO I guess every one's making grilled cheese and lunch meat? Savages.

I guess no one likes those King's rolls. My local supermarket was almost out of all bread except the Kings.
      03-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #62
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I guess no one likes those King's rolls. My local supermarket was almost out of all bread except the Kings.

They just don't know what they're missing.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #63
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
I just read an article where people, mostly from the liberal haven of Calif going online trying to buy guns and trying to have it shipped to their home only to be pissed off when they are told your not allow but online and shipped to your home. Most of these people say but this is what the media and government keep saying your allowed to buy online. They are even more pissed when told most all guns have waiting period dictated by their state.

This is what happens when the media scares the hell out of people and they all went out and hoarded stuff and now want to by a gun to protect their hoard of TP only to be turned away because they believe the media was telling them the truth.

I wonder if these people also think gullible it not in the dictionary.
Or the guy in front of me at Bass Pro who stood in line for ammo for 30 minutes only to get denied for some reason like his address wasn’t matching. They said he could go get something like his car registration as another form of identification, but he’d have to wait in line all over again.

They had folding chairs set up near the gun counter for people waiting to be helped (they were gonna be there a while).
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 01:39 PM   #64
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Or the guy in front of me at Bass Pro who stood in line for ammo for 30 minutes only to get denied for some reason like his address wasn’t matching. They said he could go get something like his car registration as another form of identification, but he’d have to wait in line all over again.

They had folding chairs set up near the gun counter for people waiting to be helped (they were gonna be there a while).
Its funny, buying ammo didn't even cross my mind. I have plenty, just for recreational purposes, but I didn't even think about buying more.

I'm not sure what kind of sustained firefight people think they are going to get into.
Appreciate 3
upstatedoc7555.50
Littlebear3508.50
Efthreeoh16946.00
      03-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #65
flyingfortress
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I bought a new road bike, since pretty much everything this spring/summer will be canceled.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #66
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Its funny, buying ammo didn't even cross my mind. I have plenty, just for recreational purposes, but I didn't even think about buying more.

I'm not sure what kind of sustained firefight people think they are going to get into.
Yeah, it wasn’t the first thing I thought of and went to Bass Pro more out of curiosity to see if they had anything left. Bought a couple value packs since it couldn’t hurt and I’ll blow through it at the range once things are back to some semblance or normal.
Appreciate 0