BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Just to Bring up The Vette One More Time

11-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #23
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

I dunno, the new Corvette interior and exterior are pretty much badass. Its absolutely laughable to hear someone nitpick the Corvette to death and then say with a straight face that the $55k 435i is a better overall car than a $55k Corvette. Granted, the Chevy wouldn't work for me because its a two-seater but otherwise there is no comparison between these two cars price/performance wise. I love the 435i, I really do, but $55k for the kind of performance you get even in a base Corvette is astonishing...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 05:33 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
I dunno, the new Corvette interior and exterior are pretty much badass. Its absolutely laughable to hear someone nitpick the Corvette to death and then say with a straight face that the $55k 435i is a better overall car than a $55k Corvette. Granted, the Chevy wouldn't work for me because its a two-seater but otherwise there is no comparison between these two cars price/performance wise. I love the 435i, I really do, but $55k for the kind of performance you get even in a base Corvette is astonishing...
I had the same thought, being the C7 is a two-seater and the 4-Series is a 4-seat coupe, so I also looked at the pricing of the Z4 and the upcoming C7 convertible for an apples to apples chassis configuration. The Z4is is nearly $10K more than 1LT Z51 convertible.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #25
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

I figured I'd get flamed for my post. Enjoyed reading all of the responses. My opinion of GM and the Corvette still hasn't changed. FWIW, we had a C2 and C4 in the family at points in time. Drove them both, hated them both.

Enjoy your cars, whatever they may be.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
I figured I'd get flamed for my post. Enjoyed reading all of the responses. My opinion of GM and the Corvette still hasn't changed. FWIW, we had a C2 and C4 in the family at points in time. Drove them both, hated them both.

Everyone gets to have their opinion, but sometimes when the opinion is not based on reality, then its worth is questionable. You are basing an opinion of the C7 and General motors on old, outdated information and experiences. I was never a fan of GM growing up as Ford guy, but recent GM products I've bought, reviewed, and driven, I've changed my mind. Car companies can change for both good and bad.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 11-30-2013 at 05:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #27
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:

If you didn't use BS reasons to hate on the 'Vette, we wouldn't be on you. As Eft stated, everyone can have their preferences. But, preferences doesn't excuse ignorance.

Like I said, lets say you drive the Corvette. You love everything about it. You really going to buy the competition instead because of it only making 74 HP/L?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #28
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

What's the difference if an engine is using displacement to make power vs multi cams vs forced induction? It's still a small motor packaging wise, and far more efficient than many foreign motors of the same output.
      11-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #29
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Nope, wasn't comparing M6 vs Corvette. I was commenting on the Corvette's own merits, as I see them. Again, this is just my opinion.

To me, specific output is a great way to put engineering prowess on display. 74bhp in 2013 sucks any way you slice it.

cheers, happy thanksgiving.
HAHA. I shouldn't feed the troll, because I can tell you just wanted plot that turd of a response down to smell up the room while you made a get away.

You know there are considerable advantages of the the LS engine over HP/liter engines? Like the LS engines get much better gas mileage, engine response, and reliability vs comparable engines while being as light as most V6 engines.

People who hate by calling it old technology as clueless. Its just the opposite. The difference is that its not going to leave you stranded on the road like BMW's engines are known for.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #30
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
HAHA. I shouldn't feed the troll, because I can tell you just wanted plot that turd of a response down to smell up the room while you made a get away.

You know there are considerable advantages of the the LS engine over HP/liter engines? Like the LS engines get much better gas mileage, engine response, and reliability vs comparable engines while being as light as most V6 engines.

People who hate by calling it old technology as clueless. Its just the opposite. The difference is that its not going to leave you stranded on the road like BMW's engines are known for.
Troll? Hardly. I'm much more active on other BMW forums (have been since the late '90s). I rarely come here because, let's face it, the E60 portion of this forum is nothing but a classified ad section. I use this forum to look for parts, interesting political threads, and the 'non-BMW' car talk. Call me a troll if you want; jimmy crack corn, and you know the rest.

This is a thread soliciting opinions on the new 'Vette. Usually I stay out of these threads because I have no interest in crapping on someone's choice of car. If this thread were titled "check out my new C7!!!", you wouldn't be reading this because I never would have posted. I know we all work hard for our money and put a lot of thought into the cars we choose to buy. But since this was a generalized 'what say you?' thread, I threw my hat into the ring. It's amusing how some folks just cant't stomach a dissenting opinion, whatever the reasons may be.

Sorry guys and gals, I'm not a fan of the Corvette. Yes I've seen it. In person. It does nothing for me.

To me, GM is the Disco Stu of the automotive world. God help them when the baby boomer generation dies off. I predict GM's funeral will be shortly thereafter. I find it interesting that nearly half of Corvette buyers last year were age 55 or older.

I'm someone that is impressed by new technology, and by automotive companies that push boundaries. I don't see any of that in the Corvette. I see a car with composite panels glued to a spar-type frame, powered by an inefficient (power-wise) large displacement V8 with camshafts that STILL aren't where they should be. Basically the same formula they've been using for a long, long time.

So that's what I think of the new Corvette. If you decide to buy one, I'm happy for you. Really, I am.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Troll? Hardly. I'm much more active on other BMW forums (have been since the late '90s). I rarely come here because, let's face it, the E60 portion of this forum is nothing but a classified ad section. I use this forum to look for parts, interesting political threads, and the 'non-BMW' car talk. Call me a troll if you want; jimmy crack corn, and you know the rest.

This is a thread soliciting opinions on the new 'Vette. Usually I stay out of these threads because I have no interest in crapping on someone's choice of car. If this thread were titled "check out my new C7!!!", you wouldn't be reading this because I never would have posted. I know we all work hard for our money and put a lot of thought into the cars we choose to buy. But since this was a generalized 'what say you?' thread, I threw my hat into the ring. It's amusing how some folks just cant't stomach a dissenting opinion, whatever the reasons may be.

Sorry guys and gals, I'm not a fan of the Corvette. Yes I've seen it. In person. It does nothing for me.

To me, GM is the Disco Stu of the automotive world. God help them when the baby boomer generation dies off. I predict GM's funeral will be shortly thereafter. I find it interesting that nearly half of Corvette buyers last year were age 55 or older.

I'm someone that is impressed by new technology, and by automotive companies that push boundaries. I don't see any of that in the Corvette. I see a car with composite panels glued to a spar-type frame, powered by an inefficient (power-wise) large displacement V8 with camshafts that STILL aren't where they should be. Basically the same formula they've been using for a long, long time.

So that's what I think of the new Corvette. If you decide to buy one, I'm happy for you. Really, I am.
Kyle,

Much of what you've posted is somewhat true of past variants of the Corvette. I in fact have owned two C5 Z06s which were primarily track cars although they still functioned extremely well as a DD when I wanted. The 'low rent' interiors really let the cars down however although dynamically there were no BMW's, and very few Porsches, that could keep up with them at a DE event.
But the C7 is different. Not only does the 'base' Z51 version come very close to the speed/handling of the previous C6 Z06, but the quality of the interior in particular has moved the car into a totally different bracket. It can now compete with the European brands on not just speed, handling, etc, but in interior appointments also. The fact that the car can outrun so many (much) higher priced vehicles at a substantially lower price is outstanding, and will lead to a whole new sub-set of owners buying the car simply because of what it offers, both dynamically and quality wise, for such a competitive price when compared to others. Frankly the high powered version of the car when its released in 2015 is going to kick some serious butt if it comes in at <$100K.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #32
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

I'm going to share some of kyles sentiments of the c7. But it's limited to the fact that it does nothing for me even in person. I'll take my 7liter ls7 z06 any day.

If I could have paid a premium to install the ls7 in place of my s85 in my m6, I would have. That low tech motor is cheap to repair/build, fuel efficient and had an ideal torque curve

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #33
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
I

If I could have paid a premium to install the ls7 in place of my s85 in my m6, I would have. That low tech motor is cheap to repair/build, fuel efficient and had an ideal torque curve
the S86 is a beautiful engine! although it can be a pain out of warranty.

its a shame you see things this way. if the cost is to much grab a Z06 vette, they are cheap right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

To wrap this back into my original reason for the post, you can look at the C7's tech as old school, when in fact other than exotics (save for the Alpha 4C) that utilize a carbon tub and aluminum subframes for front and rear sections, the Corvette's aluminum frame and composite body structure is still a pretty good (high tech) way to provide a stiff lightweight platform, which is not used in very many other car construction applications. Considering that GM initiated the chassis format in the 1950's makes it all the more intriguing. Now throw in the fact that you can get a C7 for $56K that has performance on par with cars that cost $100K to $300K more tells me that whatever you think the C7 tech lacks in sophistication is not evidenced by its performance, and it is lost in your point of view. In most instances of engineering activity, providing the most performance at the lowest cost is the real object of pushing the state of the art. IMO of course.

I would argue it is far easier to make a $300K car using what you consider as exotic technology to go fast and handle well, than it is to achieve the same level of performance at a $60K price point.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-01-2013 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #35
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

I guess I still don't quite understand the hp/liter argument. I've had 2.5 liter cars making in excess of 300 hp, and driven 2.0 liter cars making in excess of 350hp, both of which well surpass the Corvette's 70-odd hp per liter. Yet they had to work so much harder to do the same thing. And when you factor in that they both used forced induction, it's not really 350 hp out of 2.0 liters, it's 350 hp out of 2.0+the displacement the turbocharger can produce.

In any case, because the engines worked so much harder they had a narrower powerband, required steeper gearing, and were way less efficient. The hp/liter argument just overall seems like a piss poor pillar to stand on. If it can make the power, AND get the efficiency, who cares if it's a 20 liter engine? What is the point of hp/liter? Seems like bragging rights over a metric that has zero impact on actual drive-ability.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #36
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:

I actually agree with your statements for past Corvettes. I hate them with a passion. Although, I now want a C7 and I honestly can't believe it. I do not drive American cars and never have. I simply wouldn't drive one because of the stigma they carried, I could care less now. The C7 is just so good. The attention to detail, R&D, and technology put into the new Vette rivals those of any German maker.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #37
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
I'd argue engineering prowess could also be determined in stopping distance, lateral G's, slalom speed and lap times too. The C7 beats the $144,000 911 Carerra S in all of those metrics - now THAT sucks.
C2S is like 100k FLAT. At most 120k.

For 144k that's GT3 territory. GT3/RS are the holy grail of sportscars...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #38
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
C2S is like 100k FLAT. At most 120k.

For 144k that's GT3 territory. GT3/RS are the holy grail of sportscars...
The 911 Carerra S Edmunds used in the head-to-head test with the C7 was $144,350.

http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/2013/comparison-test.html
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #39
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep

Quote:
The 911 Carerra S Edmunds used in the head-to-head test with the C7 was $144,350.

http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/2...ison-test.html
Well, I'd like to argue that if you equipped a GT3 with the same levels of amenity as in the C7, you'd get <140k.

If you did the same with a C2S, you'd get around 110-120.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #40
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

In the uk they are retailing this at £65k ($107k).

How anyone can complain about the Value (at $55k) is beyond me..
      12-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #41
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep

Quote:
I'm not trying to argue anything. Edmunds said theirs was $144,000 so I wrote theirs cost $144,000
I know, lol. It just seems an apples to oranges comparison. The 911 must have been the epitome of luxury GT by that price point, compared to a balls-to-the-wall C7.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #42
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

Coming from someone getting ready to part out their beautiful 335 to get a stingray...

If you don't need back seats then c7 all the way in the OP's comparison. 200 lbs less than the 435, 150 more hp, I test drove two and interior quality is honestly much better than my 335, and simple cam/long tube header mod gives 500whp like this.

Also, if you track there is nothing better than the direct connected feel of a NA v8. Although stock hp to weight ratio is .13 (455/3300) to .08 (300/3500), lets be honest, modded American V8 obliterates the 435. 3 months into the c7 release and we already get this:

On another forum there is already talks of possible 1000whp c7's like the c6's. 435 luxury car vs c7 sports car is an apples and oranges comparison.

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #43
A_Squared
Banned
Rep
Drives: n54

This is a pretty crazy comparison, two different ballgames. To me these are two cars that attract two different buyers. Although the C7 shows a price of $55k, I doubt at this time you will run into one for that much. Dealer markups are going to inflate that price by a lot as with any highly anticipated, hyped vehicle. With that said, the new C7 styling is growing on me. I just felt that Chevy as well as Dodge (or SRT) bit off some of Ferrari's styling for their front ends. While everybody knows every maker does this nowadays, the Corvette has too much American history to draw styling off an exotic like Ferrari IMO. But, to each their own. At the end of the day, you will be the one paying for and driving the car, so get whichever fits your needs.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #44
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

that launch was nuts, auto car....just damn