BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Toyota GR Super Sport Concept

04-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #23
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #24
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
FRZ/86
LFA
Upcoming Supra

They've brought/revived more compelling performance oriented vehicles to mass market in the last decade than quite a few other manufacturers.
lol...no.

Pontiac G8
SS
ATS-V
CTS-V (and a wagon!)
C6 vette, including Z06 and ZR-1
C7 vette, including Z06, gran-sport and ZR-1 now
Camaro, including 1LE and ZL1 variants
And quite a few other sporty trims that get good marks for dynamics, like V-sport, even some of the buicks now.

On the Ford side,
Mustang GT
GT350 and 350R
freaking hot hatches like the Fiesta ST, Focus ST and RS
Tarus Sho
GT

I mean, if you made the opposite claim, that every other manufacturer has brought more performance orientated vehicles to market, you might have a leg to stand on here...

Would like to see Toyota return to the roots of the MR-2, Supra, Celica GTS, etc. Don't know if it will happen, but it'd be neat if they did...

Last edited by RM7; 04-08-2018 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #25
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
lol...no.

Pontiac G8
SS
ATS-V
CTS-V (and a wagon!)
C6 vette, including Z06 and ZR-1
C7 vette, including Z06, gran-sport and ZR-1 now
Camaro, including 1LE and ZL1 variants
And quite a few other sporty trims that get good marks for dynamics, like V-sport, even some of the buicks now.

On the Ford side,
Mustang GT
GT350 and 350R
freaking hot hatches like the Fiesta ST, Focus ST and RS
Tarus Sho
GT

I mean, if you made the opposite claim, that every other manufacturer has brought more performance orientated vehicles to market, you might have a leg to stand on here...

Would like to see Toyota return to the roots of the MR-2, Supra, Celica GTS, etc. Don't know if it will happen, but it'd be neat if they did...
You're quoting the performance-oriented output of two domestic manufacturers, and half of what you listed are either re-skins of other listed cars (example: G8/SS) or hilarious stretches. Buick? Really? The Taurus SHO is a shell of what it used to be ...

It's no secret that Toyota hasn't been a performance-oriented manufacturer lately. Thing is, it never has been. It only gets involved in racing to develop technologies for its consumer cars; that's always been its philosophy. Ford and GM get involved in racing because they essentially have to.

Take NASCAR, for example. It wouldn't exist without Ford and GM. And what marque competes at the same level within the series now? Toyota. Why? Market share. Understand that the only reason Toyota ever got involved in NASCAR was to win the passenger-car sales war by emphasizing that the Camry is essentially an American-built car. The only reason.

I dare say that any racing circuit Toyota gets involved in usually becomes Toyota's b***h. The WRC was won by a Yaris last season, fer cryin' out loud.(Oh, and add that Yaris GR variant to your list, The HACK . We just don't get to see it here ... yet.).

Toyota picks its spots because it doesn't have to do any of it. It builds what it wants, when it wants -- and it usually sells. Now that TMC's emphasis is turning toward performance a little more, cooler things are going to come from it. But it will never, ever be GM or Ford. It doesn't want to be or need to be.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #26
supra93
Colonel
Rep

https://toyotagazooracing.com/releas...c/0920-01.html

Quote:
GR SUPER SPORT MAKES DYNAMIC PUBLIC DEBUT AT LE MANS

The GR Super Sport hypercar returned to its spiritual home today to drive in public for the first time, as part of its ongoing development process, shortly before the start of the 88th Le Mans 24 Hours at the Circuit de la Sarthe.

Fittingly for a vehicle based on the two-time Le Mans-winning TS050 HYBRID race car, a customised GR Super Sport development model, customised as a convertible and in GR camouflage livery, completed a demonstration lap, before participating in the ceremony to return the Le Mans trophy for this year's race. The car was driven by Alex Wurz, the former TOYOTA GAZOO Racing driver.

Soon after the ceremony, this year's postponed Le Mans 24 Hours began with two TOYOTA GAZOO Racing TS050 HYBRIDs challenging to win the race for the third successive year. The TS050 HYBRID has created history at Le Mans since its debut in 2016, earning Toyota's first victory at La Sarthe as well as setting the fastest-ever lap and the current race lap record. Those performances are the inspiration for the GR Super Sport, a hypercar with race car pedigree and performance.

The GR Super Sport epitomises TOYOTA GAZOO Racing's commitment to use motorsport to make ever-better road cars for the enjoyment of customers, and it symbolises the ever-closer relationship between TOYOTA GAZOO Racing race and road car products.

Alex Wurz:
“It was an honour to drive this development version of the GR Super Sport for the first time in public, and especially at a circuit like Le Mans which is so closely connected to this car. The GR Super Sport was born at Le Mans so this felt like a homecoming. This was my first time to drive the car, so a demonstration lap doesn't allow me to push the limits but I could already feel that the GR Super Sport has the potential for incredible performance. I could feel the similarities between the GR Super Sport and the TS050 HYBRID in terms of performance, particularly the four-wheel drive and the hybrid system. But the engineers tell me this was only a small taste of the GR Super Sport's true performance so I am super excited to drive it again one day in the near future.”
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/21/...sport-preview/

Quote:
Toyota GR Super Sport hypercar previewed at 24 Hours of Le Mans

And by the way, Toyota won, again

Here’s your yearly reminder that Toyota is building a hypercar. Just like it did in last year’s running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Toyota has provided us a preview of the GR Super Sport.

This car will run in the hypercar class in the World Endurance Championship, but the regulations require that anyone who enters will also need to produce a minimum of 20 road cars based on the race car. Toyota says the car we’re looking at in photos here is a GR Super Sport development car that is customized as a convertible and wearing the now-recognizable GR camouflage. Remember the same camo on the GR Supra a couple years ago?

Details are scarce on the ground concerning the road car version headed our way, but here’s what Toyota said about it: “The GR Super Sport epitomizes Toyota Gazoo Racing's commitment to use motorsport to make ever-better road cars for the enjoyment of customers, and it symbolizes the ever-closer relationship between Toyota Gazoo Racing race and road car products.”

From what we’ve witnessed so far, more GR in Toyota road car products is a very good thing. The GR Yaris (that isn’t coming here) is a great example of what Toyota is capable of doing when it harnesses its engineering might. As for this car, it’s likely going to have near (or over) four-digit horsepower and a price tag that’ll buy you many lifetimes of Camrys. Its relation to the now three-time-Le-Mans-winning TS050 Hybrid should help it immensely. And in case you missed it, Toyota just happened to win Le Mans again last weekend.

Appreciate 1
3GFX722.50
      09-21-2020, 10:40 PM   #27
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Man. I'm gonna have to get a smaller dog.
      09-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #28
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

"This car will run in the hypercar class in the World Endurance Championship, but the regulations require that anyone who enters will also need to produce a minimum of 20 road cars based on the race car. "

So I will never actually ever see the road based car and it will make Ferrari's look common?
      09-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #29
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

"This car will run in the hypercar class in the World Endurance Championship, but the regulations require that anyone who enters will also need to produce a minimum of 20 road cars based on the race car. "

So I will never actually ever see the road based car and it will make Ferrari's look common?
      10-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #30
supra93
Colonel
Rep

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1312337269286670336
Appreciate 0