BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition anyone lift outside during cold winter

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1960
Rep
4,901
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

anyone lift outside during cold winter

Since covid I've been lifting dumbbells outside on my balcony. Even with temps in the upper 90's and high humidity I'm liking the experience.

I run in the winter, wash car in the winter so I'm looking forward to continuing to lift in the winter.

I'm trying to gauge how lifting will be with temps around freezing and wind rain or snow. Anyone lift in a unheated garage or even outside in the cold ?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #2
perryo91
Captain
perryo91's Avatar
Uganda
317
Rep
920
Posts

Drives: 335
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Impossible, only washing cars and running is possible during the winter.
__________________
Hi
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:29 AM   #3
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
941
Rep
827
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Since covid I've been lifting dumbbells outside on my balcony. Even with temps in the upper 90's and high humidity I'm liking the experience.

I run in the winter, wash car in the winter so I'm looking forward to continuing to lift in the winter.

I'm trying to gauge how lifting will be with temps around freezing and wind rain or snow. Anyone lift in a unheated garage or even outside in the cold ?
I have, not so much anymore though. Outdoor winter lifts were during college athletics. Just be sure you give yourself enough time to loosen up prior to getting into any heavy lifts. As temperature drops risk of injury goes up.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
10388
Rep
8,626
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

I lift outdoors in the winter all the time, no issue. SOMETIMES I even wear a sweatshirt with my shorts.

Oh, you're not in California, never mind

Last edited by UncleWede; 07-27-2020 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1960
Rep
4,901
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I lift outdoors in the winter all the time, no issue. SOMETIMES I even wear a sweatshirt with my shorts.

Oh, you're not in California, never mind
Iím north of Baltimore Maryland. Expecting quite a few below freezing workouts.

Find that when I run in the cold I run faster hope my lifting improves.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
941
Rep
827
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Iím north of Baltimore Maryland. Expecting quite a few below freezing workouts.

Find that when I run in the cold I run faster hope my lifting improves.
I'm from relatively the same area, York PA, so about 45 mins north of Baltimore. So I've had plenty of winter workouts in that climate. Interesting that you run faster in the cold, my lungs would always be a little more fatigued. Hardest thing about getting a solid lift in the winter is getting the body to a solid temp. I'd start with a 15min run then get into it that way your HR is up and body is loose.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #7
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1960
Rep
4,901
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
I'm from relatively the same area, York PA, so about 45 mins north of Baltimore. So I've had plenty of winter workouts in that climate. Interesting that you run faster in the cold, my lungs would always be a little more fatigued. Hardest thing about getting a solid lift in the winter is getting the body to a solid temp. I'd start with a 15min run then get into it that way your HR is up and body is loose.
York, very nice. Brown's Orchard ?
Like shooting up and down I-83 when the roads are empty.

I've heard people talk about lung damage running in the cold but it never bothered me. Was worried about muscle tear in the cold.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST