BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Another speaker thread haha

03-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Another speaker thread haha

What do you guys think of these speakers....

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107OWM3...ures_and_specs

I need fronts and rears that MUST be mounted and these seem good. I am not a crazy audiophile. I understand the save up to buy good speakers that will last but I currently have no use or need for that. I'm primarily looking for budget friendly, sounds decent and is easily mountable.

I also need a center channel. It can't be taller then 5.5''. Due to the odd shape of the room I can't mount the tv. Also due to the odd corner unit my wife chose the speaker has to set on top on the tv stand in front of the tv so that's the skinny on the height requirement.

I'm having a hard time here. Not much of an audio guy and just want something that sounds decent and won't break my bank since the wife has me on a budget

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

You'll also need a sub if you want to round out the sound as bookshelf speakers only produce highs to mids.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow homie

A good bookshelf will give you enough low end to enjoy music, however you would need a sub with them.

Polk's are very bright and can be fatiguing to listen too for a long time. Similar to Klipsch speakers. I have no problem listening to either, and if its just for HT then you will have no problem.

You said they cant be taller than 5.5" however the speakers you linked are over 10"... Did you mean depth??

There are much better speakers out there, but not many that will be so shallow
      03-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
You'll also need a sub if you want to round out the sound as bookshelf speakers only produce highs to mids.
I have an onkyo powered sub so I'm good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaPimp27 View Post
A good bookshelf will give you enough low end to enjoy music, however you would need a sub with them.

Polk's are very bright and can be fatiguing to listen too for a long time. Similar to Klipsch speakers. I have no problem listening to either, and if its just for HT then you will have no problem.

You said they cant be taller than 5.5" however the speakers you linked are over 10"... Did you mean depth??

There are much better speakers out there, but not many that will be so shallow
The speakers I linked are to replace some pretty low end surround speakers. The speakers main use will be for tv and movie watching. Limited musical use at best.

The height requirement was for a center channel only. It can't be too tall when sitting in front of the tv as it will start getting into the tv picture.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter

Last edited by darkcloud; 03-08-2010 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
My speaker placement will be just like this...

My inwall speaker wire and jacks are all 5'6'' up the wall at the locations in this diagram. So when sitting the front and rear surrounds will all be roughly 1.5 feet above your head and angled slightly down. The center will be maybe 6'' below head height pointed directly at the coach.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Thats the exact set up my folks have at home running a bose 5.1 system of an Onkyo amp. Sounds like crap IMHO. The room isn't balanced at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Thats the exact set up my folks have at home running a bose 5.1 system of an Onkyo amp. Sounds like crap IMHO. The room isn't balanced at all.
+1

in a room like that, youre not gonna get any real surround sound because none of the speakers are located correctly in relation to the listening position.

unless you can somehow position your tv to be facing directly toward the sofa, i fail to see the benefit of a 5.1 surround sound system. if you just want better sound, maybe you can just get a 2.1 system with just higher quality fronts and a sub to improve the sound. this will give you much better stereo sound (compared to your tv speakers) but without the added complication/expense of a 5.1 system that you wont fully realize anyway due to the odd layout/positions.

the setup of the system is as important as the components themselves and i think you may be wasting some of your money on the 5.1 components if theyre not positioned correctly.

post your question with your diagram on any of the major AV forums and you will likely get a similar response.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

also, you might want to consider repositioning the sub in the corner closer to the sofa/chair. itll give you the maximum impact by locating it nearfield plus it will also keep it further from the opening of the room which keeps the room more pressurized before exiting through the opening.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Ok, in the diagram(which I borrowed from Crutchfield) placement of everything is near exact. Directly center between the TV and sub is a sliding glass door, that wall is useless. Just to the right of the front right speaker is a 5' walkway into my kitchen. Just to the left of the rear left surround is a double window. Couch placement is identicle. Sub placement is actually very good and hits pretty hard as it's furthest from the opening into the kitchen and it's not like we watch movies with the slider open.

Now I'm not worried about wasting money which is why I don't want to spend a lot of money. I know the room shape sucks. But when we moved into the house I purchased a Onkyo HTIB component 7.1 setup that I'm only using as a 5.1. The receiver is decent enough for me and the speakers were as well until we remodeled the room. When I tore down the wood paneling I ran all my speaker wire inwall and put wall jack in in those placements in the diagram as it is what best suited the room.

So how do those speakers seem for my budget friendly, crap set up room? Since they didn't exactly build houses 30 years ago with surround sound friendly rooms in mind.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
for help! haha

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #11
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

I'd go for a mid level polk system or Klipsche (sp?). They have decent big box store quality and sound pretty good. I'd suggest moving the sub to the corner to the right of the TV. I have it there behind another chair. I dont like having the sub behind me like that. It would sound discombobulated and disconnected from the rest of the system IMHO. I prefer it firing from the front, or at least emanating from the front.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #12
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd go for a mid level polk system or Klipsch (sp?). They have decent big box store quality and sound pretty good. I'd suggest moving the sub to the corner to the right of the TV. I have it there behind another chair. I dont like having the sub behind me like that. It would sound discombobulated and disconnected from the rest of the system IMHO. I prefer it firing from the front, or at least emanating from the front.
A good sub that is integrated into the system should be omnipresent and there should be no signs where it is coming from..

OP, what is your total budget for the system? I could give you some ideas once i have that
      03-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Nothing like a set of fine Candadian made PSB B-15 Bookshelf speakers and PSB 8 in sub. The set-up I have. About $200-$300 for a pair of PSB B-15 speakers, and about $300 for the sub. Hope this helps. Oh, and make sure you have a decent A/V reciever (NAD, Cambride Audio, Marantz...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 06:15 AM   #14
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd go for a mid level polk system or Klipsche (sp?). They have decent big box store quality and sound pretty good. I'd suggest moving the sub to the corner to the right of the TV. I have it there behind another chair. I dont like having the sub behind me like that. It would sound discombobulated and disconnected from the rest of the system IMHO. I prefer it firing from the front, or at least emanating from the front.
Unfortunately the sub is not moving. It is't really behind me anyways, more the the left. The other corner on the wall it is on would be behind me. The corner you speak of isn't a corner at all but a walk way into my kitchen so that is a bad spot and the the wife wouldn't be thrilled to have a sub just sitting there
Quote:
A good sub that is integrated into the system should be omnipresent and there should be no signs where it is coming from..

OP, what is your total budget for the system? I could give you some ideas once i have that
I guess around $600 total for the 5 speakers (2 fronts, 2 rears and a center channel). Just some decent mid road ones for the surrounds and maybe a little better for the center. The set doesn't have to be awesome since the room doesn't really call for them and the setup isn't ideal. Just for good daily tv watching and movies. This is not a home theater in my basement setup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
Nothing like a set of fine Candadian made PSB B-15 Bookshelf speakers and PSB 8 in sub. The set-up I have. About $200-$300 for a pair of PSB B-15 speakers, and about $300 for the sub. Hope this helps. Oh, and make sure you have a decent A/V reciever (NAD, Cambride Audio, Marantz...
I have the receiver. It is an onkyo. Only downside it that is doesn't up convert HDMI, otherwise it's good enough and I can live with it for the time being.

With the room remodel costs already out of pocket among other daily espenses I'm rather suprised I'm able to get the wife into letting me get speakers at all but the room now looks incomplete without nice wall mounted speakers. It was kinda my evil plan

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

i agree with you 100% on the condition that we are talking a "good sub". if i recall correctly, OP said he had a onkyo sub. usually subs that are included in the HTIB systems are setup to reproduce bass way above 80hz to help out the weak satellites in the mid bass region.

since the sub is probably operating in the above 80hz region, it is likely not as invisible as you suggest.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #16
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
I guess around $600 total for the 5 speakers (2 fronts, 2 rears and a center channel). Just some decent mid road ones for the surrounds and maybe a little better for the center. The set doesn't have to be awesome since the room doesn't really call for them and the setup isn't ideal. Just for good daily tv watching and movies. This is not a home theater in my basement setup

I have the receiver. It is an onkyo. Only downside it that is doesn't up convert HDMI, otherwise it's good enough and I can live with it for the time being.
Go with a 3.1 to start. $600 for 5 speakers is really not enough. If you want a decent setup, go with 2 Paradigm Atoms and a CC-190 center channel.

I was at a Paradigm dealership tonight. If you get a chance, listen to the SE1's. There fantastic speakers for the money.

If you really want all 5 speakers now, look at the Energy Take 5 pack on Newegg.com. There a pretty common recommendation and should fit your needs fine. Then get a Infinity PS212 or a ED sub with the extra $350. That would be a decent setup
      03-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #17
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Well ended up with the Definitive Technology ProCinema600 set. A little over the budget but it wasn't a piece meal set up and everything looks uniform and nice on the walls. Sounds great too.

The shop I went to was my area Paradigm dealer. Nice stuff but too big for my needs at this time. The room is just too small for their speakers. Even the employee agreed after seeing a few pics and having demensions.

Well thanks for the help and time, it really did steer me in the right direction.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0