BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2015 Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

03-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #133
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Nico...the moment had passed....the joke isn't funny anymore....
      03-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #134
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I know this format has been done to death but this still made me LOL.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #135
dim635csi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG F82 M4 ZCP

^ good script
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #136
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

All these years of miserable Acura and Honda cars with zero sporting abilities and ugly beaks seems to have taken it's toll. It's going to take a lot of courage and executive humility to see this through. I will not be surprised if Honda is giving up for 2017 and pay McLaren whatever fine is needed. And Ron Dennis need to retire, again. No wonder Alonso didn't get a performance clause, or did he? I feel sorry for Button, the ever loyal soldier in ever crappier cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #137
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I still find it utterly disappointing that Ferrari's pride,joy and first priority their F1 racing team can't build an engine with equal or superior power to Mercedes blingy Benz little side project. Sure Benz have a solid F1 history long way back but today it's mainly rolling couches for blue haired ladies and obese executives. Shameful.
Quote:
All these years of miserable Acura and Honda cars with zero sporting abilities and ugly beaks seems to have taken it's toll. It's going to take a lot of courage and executive humility to see this through.
Both of you are claiming a relationship between passenger cars and F1 teams that doesn't exist. The AMG Mercedes F1 operation is basically identical to Scuderia Ferrari F1. The clientel for a Mercedes or Honda road car (as always) is immaterial. The people who design grills for Acuras aren't involved with Honda F1 engines.

Plus, Ferrari F1 has a long history of sucking. From what I can remember, the period between my earliest viewership of F1 (late '80's) to Schumacher's 2nd or 3rd year with the team (around '97 or '98) consisted of poorly performing Ferrari teams. So there's no law that Ferrari has to be a top team.

As for the state of F1, how is now any different than the Williams steamroller years, the McLaren years, Ferrari years, Renault years, or Red Bull years? In my mind, F1 today is so restrictive that there can't possibly be very many variants causing Mercedes to be dominant. Which means that other top teams can come up at any time. There's no magic - they're all subject to the same laws of power and aerodynamics.

Besides, Rosberg won't let Hamilton run ahead for long before he starts crashing into him again.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #138
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Don't forget McLaren had their share of miserable years with Ford-Cosworth, Porsche-Tag and Peugeot in 93 and 94. While Williams Renault and Benetton Ford rise to championship winning engines.

Formula 1 is a cycle of winning cars and power trains. We had years of McLaren-Honda (88-92), Benetton Ford (92-97), Williams Renault (92-96), Ferrari(99-04), McLaren Mercedes (98-99,07-08), Renault (04-07), Brawn-Mercedes (09), RedBull Renault (10-14). And now we just entered a new cycle of Mercedes (14-??). I don't see the need to panic and adjust the rules every race weekend. This will cause more harm to smaller or struggling teams.

What we need are more testing days, such as Monday and Tuesday after the race weekend (except back-back weekends and before summer break). To save money on logistics. But still provide sufficient testing time for teams.
      03-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #139
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Lots of excuses here folks, the sport still sucks and you know it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #140
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
Both of you are claiming a relationship between passenger cars and F1 teams that doesn't exist. The AMG Mercedes F1 operation is basically identical to Scuderia Ferrari F1. The clientel for a Mercedes or Honda road car (as always) is immaterial. The people who design grills for Acuras aren't involved with Honda F1 engines.

Plus, Ferrari F1 has a long history of sucking. From what I can remember, the period between my earliest viewership of F1 (late '80's) to Schumacher's 2nd or 3rd year with the team (around '97 or '98) consisted of poorly performing Ferrari teams. So there's no law that Ferrari has to be a top team.

As for the state of F1, how is now any different than the Williams steamroller years, the McLaren years, Ferrari years, Renault years, or Red Bull years? In my mind, F1 today is so restrictive that there can't possibly be very many variants causing Mercedes to be dominant. Which means that other top teams can come up at any time. There's no magic - they're all subject to the same laws of power and aerodynamics.

Besides, Rosberg won't let Hamilton run ahead for long before he starts crashing into him again.
Same brand, the connection exist wether you like it or not even if no technical personal or materials or technology are shared and for Ferrari the F1 team has always been the brands priority. Racing involvement and the effort spent are tightly connected to wanted brand image for all brands. If Ferrari sucks in racing it's really bad for their cars But for Benz it's really no big deal. Honda is doing fine being a grey mouse volume brand and it will take a lot of board "want" to keep feeding resources into the disaster they now have on their hands. Toyota bailed when they failed.

Last edited by solstice; 03-17-2015 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #141
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
for Ferrari the F1 team has always been the brands priority.
This is true, and that often means that they'll invest more than others, but it hasn't resulted in their dominance overall. Because F1 presents challenges that can't be resolved by image or marketing.

Honda would not have re-entered if they weren't prepared to put in a major effort. McLaren and Alonso will demand it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #142
solstice
Major General
Rep

"McLaren and Alonso will demand it."

Honda don't give 2c want little McLaren and Alonso want. It's all about if it's worth it for them. If they can't close the gap in 2016 I think it's allover. My guess is that there is one or maybe two executives who has pushed for this and need to convince the board continously that it's worth it, I don't think they are impressed so far... connected or not it will cast a shadow on the NSX which is also a V6 FI hybrid. I for sure isn't eager to buy one seeing what Frankenstein engine they have created here in F1. On the other hand if the Honda engine had kicked ass from start I would be much more excited over the NSX. And this is why volume car companies enters F1, to spice up their image. Ferrari is synonymous with F1, they have no choice and I hope they pull their socks up, fast.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #143
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

Besides, Rosberg won't let Hamilton run ahead for long before he starts crashing into him again.[/QUOTE]
Hahahah... so true.

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #144
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Took me three days to finish this race and even then I was playing Clash of Clans on my phone the entire time and missed nothing.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0