BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Entertainment/Travel up or down after COVID-19 is past?

04-08-2020, 11:32 PM   #1
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 230I(Red)

Entertainment/Travel up or down after COVID-19 is past?

I have an opinion on this, but was wondering what do you think will happen with Entertainment and Travel once things go back to normal.

Personally, as of now, many of us are still making income working from home, or making money as essential workers but not spending nearly as much on either of these. I have countless friends who had to cancel travel plans due to this virus. However I believe once restrictions ease, and it is safe to eat out and travel again, you will see a lot more of it. Income( for many) has stayed the same, but discretionary spending will have been reduced for a few month at least.

-That $3000 spring trip won't seem so bad next winter if we are inside all summer due to shelter in place.

-Those $200/$300 nights out or dinners with SO or friends wont seem so bad after we have not been able to do this for a while.

-We wont complain about paying $30 at NFL or MLB games for nachos and a beer, after no March Madness, and all sports cancelled for now, as we will just be happy to be out again, and enjoying sports.

Thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:44 PM   #2
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Give it ample time to clear before exposing oneself in public again. This virus is easy to catch if exposed. It survives by replicating in a mammal it infects. No mammal available - no replication - viral prevalence falls off - no virus per see. Making yourself ‘available’ at your favorite eatery by someone walking by you just talking, and you increase your chance of getting sick and keeping this thing going.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I have a bucket list, not long to live, and a bit of free time on my hands to study airline (*hate* flying) and railroad routes. I might find myself booking a few weekend trips for next year with refundable tickets and insurance at bargain basement prices, as my personal bailout for the travel industry.....
      04-09-2020, 06:55 AM   #4
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I'll be booking our honeymoon flights today or tomorrow for September. Really hoping that things roll over by then, but only time will tell. We have free cancellation up to 3 days prior to our Honeymoon travel, so that works out. Will make sure to get airline tickets with something similar. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 07:26 AM   #5
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I expect travel to remain very low until there is a vaccine or at least treatments. There will be some but seems unlikely to return to prior volumes until maybe 2022, including business travel. The government won’t be able to carry airlines all the way through this. Expect consolidation of airlines and ongoing reductions in flight schedules. Hotels will also suffer for quite a while and I‘m glad I am not an investor in an AirBnB rental property. Hotels are going to need to drop prices, which will be bad for AirBnB operators.

I expect local restaurant volumes will be down, but not nearly as bad as travel. People will want to go out to eat ASAP. Some restaurants will not survive and there will be more customers for those who do. Other entertainment (movies, sports, etc.) probably down more than restaurants but not as much as travel. These will also inevitably be affected by new rules and restrictions. For example, no way can people sit so close together screaming at a sports event and there will need to be some kind of screening that will make lines long going in.

This is far from over and any rush to get back to “normal” will inevitably land us back to where we are right now - at home with hospitals overburdened and the timeline further stretched. I fully expect another wave of cases later in the year after people return to something closer to normal. We are not eradicating the disease right now, just buying time.
vreihen1614906.00
      04-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #6
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Any increase will be gradual.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      04-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #7
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I seriously doubt a big return to travel will occur until a vaccine is widely available. Some business travel and those folks who choose to take the risk might start to fill some seats, but I think overall travel will stay low until the risk of infection is gone. Cruise ships might as well dock and lock the doors for the rest of 2020 and into 2021.

If we hit a point in community infections where there are no current cases and haven't been for a month or so, then maybe restaurants will start to open up again and shopping might return to near normal levels. Tourists who live near tourists areas like a beach will start to show up again.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Way, way down. It will take 5 years to get back to where we were, easily.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 10:52 AM   #9
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I think it will be a gradual increase as things slowly start to make their way back to whatever the new normal will be. The girlfriend and I were talking about this last night.

We are on the cusp of the second baby boom though. The number of babies that will be born early next year will be through the roof. Also, once the quarantine/shelter in place orders are lifted, I think we'll see and influx of people being more social than normal, for a short period of time anyway, thus only adding to the number of births.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2020, 10:55 AM   #10
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I think it will be a gradual increase as things slowly start to make their way back to whatever the new normal will be. The girlfriend and I were talking about this last night.

We are on the cusp of the second baby boom though. The number of babies that will be born early next year will be through the roof. Also, once the quarantine/shelter in place orders are lifted, I think we'll see and influx of people being more social than normal, for a short period of time anyway, thus only adding to the number of births.
Hopefully they won’t be delivered by midwives in homes.
King Rudi13152.00
      04-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:

A different type of baby boom though. The first one was due to the end of the war, good economy, etc. This one will be from bored Tinder hoes hooking up with random dudes and most of these babies won't know who their father is.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
Rmtt8206.00
vreihen1614906.00
      04-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #12
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
A different type of baby boom though. The first one was due to the end of the war, good economy, etc. This one will be from bored Tinder hoes hooking up with random dudes and most of these babies won't know who their father is.
You are not wrong here. It will be total chaos. A feeding frenzy, if you will. People will be out looking for anyone who will stand still long enough. I'm sure that those who are on dating sites are already lining up their "meetings"......or "meatings"
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
vreihen1614906.00
      04-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #13
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
You are not wrong here. It will be total chaos. A feeding frenzy, if you will. People will be out looking for anyone who will stand still long enough. I'm sure that those who are on dating sites are already lining up their "meetings"......or "meatings"
+1.

If you can't get laid after this...there is no hope for you!

By the way, where is Furiously Fast............
      04-09-2020, 12:06 PM   #14
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

9 months after Hurricane Katrina we had a baby boom so I would agree with that.

We enjoy having nice dinners out but I haven't missed it. Never really went to the movies. I miss my friends a lot. We have a group of 10 who are really close and we see each other regularly so that's been hard. Last weekend we went for a boat ride & it's so tough not to walk up and hug everyone.

As far as travel, it's my passion and as soon as I can get on a plane I will. My friends daughters senior trip is in Cabo and we are supposed to leave May 24th. Not having a lot of hope for that. My 40th is at the end of July and if I can get to Great Exuma that's where I will be celebrating 🏖
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #15
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
+1.

If you can't get laid after this...there is no hope for you!

By the way, where is Furiously Fast............
I can assure you he is mid-keystroke of letting some woman on Tinder know how pointless her existence is.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      04-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #16
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

One thing has done is moved the ball into my court in terms of family finances. The wife makes considerably more than me but spends every last penny, much of it on useless shit.

From here, i take the reigns on spending. We are surviving just fine without new clothes or toys for the kids or eating out or other superfluous waste-ages.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:45 PM   #17
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
One thing has done is moved the ball into my court in terms of family finances. The wife makes considerably more than me but spends every last penny, much of it on useless shit.

From here, i take the reigns on spending. We are surviving just fine without new clothes or toys for the kids or eating out or other superfluous waste-ages.
DANGER!!!! DANGER!!!!

This will not end well. I'm/we are going to need an update on this within 6 weeks.

Godspeed my friend
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #18
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

DANGER!!!! DANGER!!!!

This will not end well. I'm/we are going to need an update on this within 6 weeks.

Godspeed my friend
Hahahahaha, I would like to see how this goes as well. This is one reason my husband and I have separate accounts. He has no clue what I spend but when it comes to big purchases we talk about those. Sometimes😏

I will say that yesterday I was going to spend about $200 on more work out shorts, tank tops & sports bras. Today, I'm like do I really need that?? I use Instagram to shop at a lot of our local boutiques & you should see the amount of people still buying things like crazy. I'm like is anyone worried about what the next month holds? I'm not panicking but being more aware in areas that I wouldn't have thought twice about prior to this.

Come to think of it, I had the X5 fully detailed & waxed this week but that's not frivolous, right
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      04-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #19
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have always done the finances in our house. I make 4X what my wife does, but we have one account and it's treated as "our" money.

I have always been a "numbers" guy. So after the month's expenses are paid, and we put what we want in savings, retirement, etc.....I put an amount on the whiteboard of the fridge that shows an estimate of what's left to spend as "extra".

She's fine with that as long as she see's a number to go by. That's what she uses for her Books, Art Stuff, other small things she wants.

Anything more than a certain amount, we typically discuss it.

But it's worked great.
King Rudi13152.00
      04-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #20
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I have always done the finances in our house. I make 4X what my wife does, but we have one account and it's treated as "our" money.

I have always been a "numbers" guy. So after the month's expenses are paid, and we put what we want in savings, retirement, etc.....I put an amount on the whiteboard of the fridge that shows an estimate of what's left to spend as "extra".

She's fine with that as long as she see's a number to go by. That's what she uses for her Books, Art Stuff, other small things she wants.

Anything more than a certain amount, we typically discuss it.

But it's worked great.
x2 never considered separate finances. I don’t have an amount we can each spend but we both know when times are tighter or when we need to discuss something after 20 years of marriage.
Rmtt8206.00
      04-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #21
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
x2 never considered separate finances. I don’t have an amount we can each spend but we both know when times are tighter or when we need to discuss something after 20 years of marriage.
We really don't either.....but she likes to see something tangible as she said it helps give her perspective. I tell her to just look at the accounts, she said the board was easier.

And between you and I....the amount I typically write on the board is usually about 1/3rd of what is really available.
      04-09-2020, 01:46 PM   #22
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

We had been together for a while before we got married so we just kept it the same. Also, my husband used his business account & only put money into a personal account to pay personal bills so that was another reason for us. I wasn't going to make a 3rd for us to share.

If we go on a trip, I pay for flights or hotels & he will pay for food & other things we do. It pretty much always balances out. We are both open about our finances & it's always worked out for us.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00