BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Dangerous friends? I was invited to a gathering despite the pandemic

04-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #45
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I believe a major reason for the deaths in NYC is the population density and the failure to social distance. The fact that the majority of personalities are probably Type A makes me think that they thought that they were too smart to get the virus. Your friends for some reason thought that hanging out at the Ritz Carlton would be cool and inviting others elevated their social standing. The reality is that social distancing helps lower your chances of catching this virus, flattens the curve and shortens the time needed to get back to normal.

LOL - exactly what I thought when it hit. I worked for a company that was headquartered in NYC. If you think you are going to tell NYC people what to do - think again! People talk about how freedom loving us midwest rednecks are, but monkey with a NYCer and see what happens. Those people sounds like they hate your guts when they are asking how your coffee is.

I loved it. I don't waste a lot of time on pleasantries and beating the bush for months to not hurt someones feelings is not my thing. You could call and tell those people exactly what you wanted or needed and almost hang up on them and that stuff got done.

One of them I talked to regularly answered his phone every time "WHAT?". Took me a bit to get used to and I though this guy hated me because he was so short with me, but when I turned in my notice and the email went out he was the 2nd one that called me and said "Damn it, your the only mother fucker I can get shit done down there with!" I laughed my ass off. We talked for a few then he says "well, have a nice life" and hung up on me. I have never spoken to him since.

"obey" is not what they do well. God love them.
In NYC it works like this... If we don't like you, we will ignore you. If we're cool we're going to bust your balls constantly. This is the ball busting capital of the world!
      04-16-2020, 06:09 PM   #46
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I posted somewhere else on here when my niece, her husband, and 3yo came to my "rancho" because the son wanted to see the chickens. My oldest, who lives with us and is a nurse, was livid when they left, and she might be his favorite cousin.

It's when I first heard the word Covidiot. . . I can't tell you who was the bigger one though, them or me.

I haven't told them yet that the chicks hatched out of the incubator, because they haven't yet.
Appreciate 1
Frupal779.50
      04-16-2020, 06:17 PM   #47
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Idiots period. Actually selfish idiots. My personal assistants Mother passed Wednesday. AM. Totally a horrific end. All alone. Had to be community acquired. She only left house to do food shopping bc the delivery services are so booked. Her daughter lives too far away to help out.
Appreciate 1
Frupal779.50
      04-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #48
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDimmer6 View Post
Unless you were planning a hookup with hairdresser friend, don't go.

Would be foolish.

Just meet her separately to limit exposure.
Is she hot?
Asking for a friend.

Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #49
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
No shelter in place in IA, but still not seeing anyone. I do have a friend that is not taking it very seriously, who is also a nurse at a main hospital, so who knows. He still thinks we have almost nothing to worry about here.

Have done a lot more HouseParty meetings, JackBox + some video chat, and whatnot and it is actually nice sometimes. One of my normal group of friends from high school I hang out with actually had the out of state people show up, so it was a slightly different group. We don't do much aside from bullshit and drink anyway so it was pretty normal.

I just wish we would stop being so PC and tell high risk people they have to shelter in place while everyone else goes about their business. Yes I know it CAN be bad for young healthy people too, but not at the same overwhelming rate. It isn't like this magically goes away. We will be dealing with it until there is mass distribution of a vaccine or everybody has already had it AND it turns out to be non-recurring.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 2
Frupal779.50
MPOWER52664750.00
      04-17-2020, 08:41 AM   #50
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I believe a major reason for the deaths in NYC is the population density and the failure to social distance. The fact that the majority of personalities are probably Type A makes me think that they thought that they were too smart to get the virus. Your friends for some reason thought that hanging out at the Ritz Carlton would be cool and inviting others elevated their social standing. The reality is that social distancing helps lower your chances of catching this virus, flattens the curve and shortens the time needed to get back to normal.
Flattening the curve increases the time needed to get back to normal. Having a big spike and everyone get it sooner is what reduces the time to get back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 08:58 AM   #51
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Opinion and Free Will...

They made a decision, and offered you an option. You made yours and did what you wanted. It's all good!

Why do you seek validation then?

Judgement of others, is an entirely acute affliction of the contemporary social political correctness gone bezerk!

There is absolutely NO data that will support Social Distancing vs Herd Immunity as superior in the overall deaths rates! There are sound arguments to support each paradigm and the only real discernable difference is the "curve". In this pandemic, the former is being applied. Any published information indicating that one is better than the other is completely irresponsible and false.

That said, of course, who wants to take a chance? And social acceptance requires you to "go along" with what everyone else is doing. But the disease will run its course as they all do. Typical viral outbreak will run approximately 18 months and then fade away as even in the absence of vaccines, Immunities will build and do it's job.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
unluky7465.00
      04-17-2020, 09:05 AM   #52
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
In NYC it works like this... If we don't like you, we will ignore you. If we're cool we're going to bust your balls constantly. This is the ball busting capital of the world!
LOL - I actually love it, but being from the midwest, we go through a longer process where we show we care for you some before we rip your guts out. I love going straight to the guts part.

I'm a fairly hard Midwesterner, but I'd be a babe in NYC - at least for awhile. I would not want to live there, but I'd love the back and forth. I do love to break chops. I warn new people who go drinking with me that what little filter I have disappears at about my 3rd bourbon.

You people have a language all your own.
      04-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #53
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
While not siding with either here, I do find it funny how righteous people are getting about people who are not respecting the pandemic.

Many who were probably alive and "of age" in 2009 when the H1N1 pandemic came through and were busy living their best lives. Most remember the name, but not much else about it. I was dating a ER provider at the time so I got a little more taste of it and she slept in another room from me and all that, but I didn't worry much about it either. Her and her nurse even went as "H1/N1" for Halloween that year.

Yes this is not the same, yada, yada. That is not the point. My point is why did we ignore than one like nothing was happening. Like did ZERO different yet this one people are wishing death on anyone that speaks to their neighbors. Written sarcastically of course......

I'm not wanting to debate the differences here - just why are people SO different about this one. Human actions fascinate me sometimes and I always wonder why.

If one year we tracked the yearly flu spread with red dots and deaths counts - do you think we would see this kind of reaction as well? I almost think we would, but I don't know?

It is fascinating to me. Like how TP became the one thing people horded. Would that have happened without the news/social media reporting it?

Sorry, rabbit holes caught me on the reg. When I talk to people one on one they seem to find the same things strange, yet as a whole we must be all doing it for it to get to this point. Don't worry - I'm not a tin foil hate Alex Jones guy....I just find human actions interesting.
Anybody follow Nextdoor around here? The stay at home police are rampant there. I see thread after thread and debate after debate about who is following whatever rule that is deemed proper protocol.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #54
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Flattening the curve increases the time needed to get back to normal. Having a big spike and everyone get it sooner is what reduces the time to get back to normal.
I keep seeing arguments that we either "over reacted" or "social distancing worked" and I think both are true. I think social distancing kept the death count low(its about on par with a really bad flu season), but was another 40k lives worth millions of people being out of work and the hit the economy took? I am glad I don't have to make those decisions.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #55
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
I keep seeing arguments that we either "over reacted" or "social distancing worked" and I think both are true. I think social distancing kept the death count low(its about on par with a really bad flu season), but was another 40k lives worth millions of people being out of work and the hit the economy took? I am glad I don't have to make those decisions.
I'm not sure what is right or wrong but I watched this vid the other day with another perspective. A little long, but fascinating. I guess time will tell what is right.

04-17-2020, 10:10 AM   #56
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I'm not sure what is right or wrong but I watched this vid the other day with another perspective. A little long, but fascinating. I guess time will tell what is right.

I don't think we will ever know what was right or wrong. If you ask someone effected by a Covid death, we probably didnt do enough. If you ask the guy that lost his business or retirement then we over stepped. The problem is politicians will spend more time arguing and blaming and not working on a plan should this happen again.
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      04-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #57
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
While not siding with either here, I do find it funny how righteous people are getting about people who are not respecting the pandemic.

Many who were probably alive and "of age" in 2009 when the H1N1 pandemic came through and were busy living their best lives. Most remember the name, but not much else about it. I was dating a ER provider at the time so I got a little more taste of it and she slept in another room from me and all that, but I didn't worry much about it either. Her and her nurse even went as "H1/N1" for Halloween that year.

Yes this is not the same, yada, yada. That is not the point. My point is why did we ignore than one like nothing was happening. Like did ZERO different yet this one people are wishing death on anyone that speaks to their neighbors. Written sarcastically of course......

I'm not wanting to debate the differences here - just why are people SO different about this one. Human actions fascinate me sometimes and I always wonder why.

If one year we tracked the yearly flu spread with red dots and deaths counts - do you think we would see this kind of reaction as well? I almost think we would, but I don't know?

It is fascinating to me. Like how TP became the one thing people horded. Would that have happened without the news/social media reporting it?

Sorry, rabbit holes caught me on the reg. When I talk to people one on one they seem to find the same things strange, yet as a whole we must be all doing it for it to get to this point. Don't worry - I'm not a tin foil hate Alex Jones guy....I just find human actions interesting.
Anybody follow Nextdoor around here? The stay at home police are rampant there. I see thread after thread and debate after debate about who is following whatever rule that is deemed proper protocol.
I have Nextdoor. It's helpful at times but it's a damn mess most of the time. It's mostly a bunch of older people on our with nothing better to do than terrorize the neighborhood.
Appreciate 2
jgoens3787.50
Hawkeye2069.50
      04-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #58
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I have some friends like that....they just don't get it. They are still hanging out with friends and family all the time.....they are clueless.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #59
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
It's mostly a bunch of older people .
define "older people"
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15579.50
rebekahb3128.50
      04-17-2020, 11:28 AM   #60
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
One of my financial advisors asked me if I wanted to go to the gun range last weekend, then said they were going golfing, then asked me to come to an NFL draft party. I can maybe see golfing cause you're outside in a large empty area but I have no idea who else he invited or who they're around during the day.
Sounds like he shouldn't be an advisor for anything.
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #61
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
define "older people"
GET OFF MY LAWN
      04-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #62
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
I have Nextdoor. It's helpful at times but it's a damn mess most of the time. It's mostly a bunch of older people on our with nothing better to do than terrorize the neighborhood.
Same here, except for instead of old people it's mostly 'coexist' and 'hate has no home here' SJW types.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      04-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #63
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 AY M4 - 2012 Nissan GTR

Two sets of couples, a hairdresser, and the Ritz carlton.

Sounds like a good orgy.

Can I come ?
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      04-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #64
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
We have that also. My actual community posts very little on there (its pretty small) however I still see posts from all the neighboring communities. Makes this who social distancing thing loom pretty attractive.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #65
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
I am not sure what you mean that it is on par with a bad flu season. We are still a ways off from that, and the reporting is all wonky on this. NY just added another 3,700 deaths to the count even though the people NEVER TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVID-19. Tell me how that works, the numbers for COVID are inflated if anything, while normal Flu is way underreported and has to rely on guestimates of actual mortality rates and numbers.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #66
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I am not sure what you mean that it is on par with a bad flu season. We are still a ways off from that, and the reporting is all wonky on this. NY just added another 3,700 deaths to the count even though the people NEVER TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVID-19. Tell me how that works, the numbers for COVID are inflated if anything, while normal Flu is way underreported and has to rely on guestimates of actual mortality rates and numbers.
Just based on the reported number. I think there are some inconsistencies like the ones you noted but I don't want the mob to sharpen their pitchforks and come after me. "X" have died from Covid, and "Y" have died from the flu, X is close to Y right now.
Appreciate 0