BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Great TV series - What are you watching now?

08-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #309
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Any Netflix shows/movies I should take the time to get into?
If you’re into sci-fi, you need to watch Altered Carbon.
I haven't heard of Altered Carbon but just read up on it and it sounds promising.

People were comparing it to Blade Runner, Akira, The Matrix etc etc... I'm gonna have to check it out
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #310
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
I haven't heard of Altered Carbon but just read up on it and it sounds promising.

People were comparing it to Blade Runner, Akira, The Matrix etc etc... I'm gonna have to check it out
Aesthetically it is very reminiscent of Blade Runner, IMO.

Really cool idea, decent effects, storyline is good enough and it's reasonably well acted. I like the guy that played Holder in The Killing.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #311
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post

Really cool idea, decent effects, storyline is good enough and it's reasonably well acted. I like the guy that played Holder in The Killing.
He was, surprisingly, the GOP candidate in 2 (?) seasons of House of Cards.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2018, 01:55 PM   #312
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
He was, surprisingly, the GOP candidate in 2 (?) seasons of House of Cards.
Yep. He was also the Special Forces leader/June Moone's boyfriend in Suicide Squad and was the lead in the reboot of Robocop (didn't watch that one).

ETA -- He was also in Safe House with Ryan Reynolds and Denzel Washington.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #313
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
If you’re into sci-fi, you need to watch Altered Carbon.
I connected to NF to watch Lost in Space. The second thing I turned up was Altered Carbon. (Im)patiently awaiting season 2 of both. Haven't been back on the NF since I finished those 2.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:40 PM   #314
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Ya? I tried but couldn't get into it and I'm obviously a sci-fi guy.

Wife and I watched a few episodes. Maybe I should give it another go
Same here. It took me half the first season to get hooked. Now I cant leave it be.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2018, 04:21 PM   #315
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Cool.

The killing was another good show that I would recommend to people looking for a "new" show to watch

What did you think about the new Blade Runner? I wasn't a fan and walked out of the theatre bored and disappointed
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #316
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Cool.

The killing was another good show that I would recommend to people looking for a "new" show to watch

What did you think about the new Blade Runner? I wasn't a fan and walked out of the theatre bored and disappointed

Well, honestly, by today's standards - the first Blade Runner was slow and quiet once you get past all the gee-whiz effects (for the time).

I actually enjoyed the 2nd one very much. To me it felt exactly like a continuation of the first movie.

The Killing was great, I was bummed they ended it after 2 seasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #317
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Cool.

Well, honestly, by today's standards - the first Blade Runner was slow and quiet once you get past all the gee-whiz effects (for the time).

I actually enjoyed the 2nd one very much. To me it felt exactly like a continuation of the first movie.

The 1st Blade Runner was a classic IMO. It probably holds a special place in my heart because I grew up watching it over and over.

I felt The 2nd was overly long and drawn out. When it comes on cable I change the channel.

One of my favorite Sci-Fi novels Dune (Frank Herbert) is/was set to be directed by Denis Villeneuve who also directed Blade Runner 2049. Fingers crossed he does a good job. It's a complex story but one worth telling.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2018, 09:36 PM   #318
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Cool.

I thought runner 2049 was really good too! Wasn't that big a fan of the killing though
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #319
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Cool.

The 1st Blade Runner was a classic IMO. It probably holds a special place in my heart because I grew up watching it over and over.

I felt The 2nd was overly long and drawn out. When it comes on cable I change the channel.

One of my favorite Sci-Fi novels Dune (Frank Herbert) is/was set to be directed by Denis Villeneuve who also directed Blade Runner 2049. Fingers crossed he does a good job. It's a complex story but one worth telling.
Hopefully it will be much better than the one from the80's. That one was poorly written and poorly directed
Appreciate 2
      08-29-2018, 08:03 AM   #320
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Cool.

Hopefully it will be much better than the one from the80's. That one was poorly written and poorly directed
Ya. David Lynch made a total mess of it.

The Mini Series that was made later was also lacking IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:29 PM   #321
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Any production of Dune will always have a difficult time keeping up with the picture Herbert painted in my young mind.

At least so far, the Dune productions haven't been anywhere near as bad as what was done to the picture L. Ron painted in my young mind with Battlefield Earth ;(
Appreciate 2
      08-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #322
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Any production of Dune will always have a difficult time keeping up with the picture Herbert painted in my young mind.

At least so far, the Dune productions haven't been anywhere near as bad as what was done to the picture L. Ron painted in my young mind with Battlefield Earth ;(
I loved Battlefield Earth also. And I will admit I'm afraid to see the movie after all the bad reviews.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #323
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I loved Battlefield Earth also. And I will admit I'm afraid to see the movie after all the bad reviews.
So bad, and not in any good way. Didn't come anywhere near the image I had of the aliens/tech
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #324
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
So bad, and not in any good way. Didn't come anywhere near the image I had of the aliens/tech
Just a terrible terrible movie. Nothing redeeming whatsoever.

I never read the book. I'm sure it blows away the movie
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #325
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Just a terrible terrible movie. Nothing redeeming whatsoever.

I never read the book. I'm sure it blows away the movie
Great book. Though I haven't re-read it in 7 or 8 years.
The dekology "Mission Earth" was funny too. Though I did get a little tired of it by book 7.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #326
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

Blade Runner is my favorite film of all time. My expectations for the sequel that I never thought I'd get were likely set unreasonably high, and I still was very impressed with what Denis Villeneuve was able to bring to the screen. I shouldn't have been too surprised, I've loved every other movie I've watched that he has directed. It's why I have high hopes for his version of Dune, which is one of my favorite pieces of sci-fi literature. If anyone can do justice to a story that many have said is "unfilmable", it is him, and apparently they are splitting the novel into two films, which is probably a good idea given the depth of the source material.

I also loved The Killing, but you are aware that they made a Season 3 and 4? Or maybe you're playing the same game that I play when I tell people it's a shame they didn't make any sequels after Aliens.

As far as Battlefield Earth, it's one of the most horrible movies I've ever seen, and it's made several lists of worst films. It was so universally panned that I'm surprised the Scientologists didn't have the director disappeared.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2018, 05:42 PM   #327
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It was so universally panned that I'm surprised the Scientologists didn't have the director disappeared.
Hillary is a Scientologist?? Heading over the Politics to post up!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #328
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Blade Runner is my favorite film of all time. My expectations for the sequel that I never thought I'd get were likely set unreasonably high, and I still was very impressed with what Denis Villeneuve was able to bring to the screen. I shouldn't have been too surprised, I've loved every other movie I've watched that he has directed. It's why I have high hopes for his version of Dune, which is one of my favorite pieces of sci-fi literature. If anyone can do justice to a story that many have said is "unfilmable", it is him, and apparently they are splitting the novel into two films, which is probably a good idea given the depth of the source material.

I also loved The Killing, but you are aware that they made a Season 3 and 4? Or maybe you're playing the same game that I play when I tell people it's a shame they didn't make any sequels after Aliens.

As far as Battlefield Earth, it's one of the most horrible movies I've ever seen, and it's made several lists of worst films. It was so universally panned that I'm surprised the Scientologists didn't have the director disappeared.
No, I almost put a "?" after the "2 seasons" part. I watched all of them, as they were released. I remembered it being a relatively short run, so perhaps I was subconsciously removing the bad seasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 12:34 PM   #329
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Has anyone checked out Jack Ryan (probably not - new today). Not sure about John Krasinski as Jack Ryan but will probably check it out.
      08-31-2018, 04:08 PM   #330
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Has anyone checked out Jack Ryan (probably not - new today). Not sure about John Krasinski as Jack Ryan but will probably check it out.
I'm interested to know the same. Would prefer to not waste my time if it sucks.
Appreciate 0