BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Top Gear UK, Thoughts?

06-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
JayNayNay
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d M Sport LCI

Top Gear UK, Thoughts?

So, I was talking to my brother today about the new Top Gear. I don't know how many of you in America or other countries watch the show, but I gather it may be a few as it claims to be the most watched show in the world.

SO basically before it started it's been a debate here if it will live up to Clarkson, Hammond and Mays Top Gear or be a massive flop. I thought it may be pretty crap but was willing to give it a go for a few episodes.

On Sunday was the fifth episode of this season and I think five episodes is ample time to settle into a what kind of show it will be. Here is my opinion;

At first Matt LeBlanc was given the job as co-host which I was in mixed feelings about, I mean everybody loved him as Joey in friends but for the UK, an Americans opinion on cars is not the same as ours. Your styling in our eyes lacks those sexy european lines and outrageous looks. Your cars handle like sh!te but your engines are impressive.

Over the first few episodes he was ok but as the time went on, I personally find him great, he has a good sense of humour taking the piss out of Chris Evans and knows one or two things about cars.

So onto Evans, he's just CRAP!! He is trying too hard to be Clarkson, loud shouty and controversal. He's not funny nor are his revives any good. Can't drive fast and talk, can't drive fast without being sick.

On the bright side their is a Chris to save the team, Chris Harris. He is Brilliant, knows his cars, drives like a mad man, and is generally funny.

Rory Reid is young and in touch with what the youth want, what cars they want to see and not then to be told "this RS is no good for the back, only a young yob would drive it". This in my eyes is an improvement on the old Top Gear.

In Conclusion, Top Gear isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it still needs improvements, such as SACK CHRIS EVANS. The show should be hosted by Matt LeBlanc, Chris Harris and Rory Reid.
Chris Evans, Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz should all leave! As the saying goes, "Too many chefs spoil the broth"

So do you agree? What's your opinion?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Just waiting on Amazon Prime to drop the real Top Gear like

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LRP M3 E92, MR M3 E93

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
show needs improvements....

over in the states, we have a channel dedicated to automobilia, etc... and other shows that beat TGUK and TGUSA by a long shot....
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
JayNayNay
United Kingdom
Rep

The original Top Gear wasn't as such as a car review show as it was a piss about. You didn't have to love cars to be entertained by it, so I'm not saying that they are the best for this but it was really entertaining.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #5
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LRM3 View Post
show needs improvements....

over in the states, we have a channel dedicated to automobilia, etc... and other shows that beat TGUK and TGUSA by a long shot....
Which TV channel would you be referring to mate? We have some solid online content but nothing on TV... and it is because an automotive show would never get prime time viewing when garbage dramas and sci-fi are on with a larger viewing audience. Top Gear USA sucked but then again it was on the History channel which is a fail before it even starts, in addition the hosts cant gel at all. Top Gear UK was prime time Sunday nights on the BBC and was a show loved by many even outside of the Car world as it was also a very entertaining show... we neither have the car show nor the latter in this country on any TV channel... unless you are referring to the crap Speed TV used to show or MotorWeek TV lmao... What we need is something akin to motor trend ignition on prime time TV... albeit the viewership would never be there for something like this.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #6
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

My thoughts are there's already a 4page thread on this
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1267779
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
JayNayNay
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
So no thoughts on the show then...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNayNay
Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
So no thoughts on the show then...
Well... I think he just means there's literally been another post of the same topic so this is just a duplicate of a pre existing thread?

In simple terms, we already have a top gear thread which is like the original with the old crew, this is very much like the rebooted top gear with the new crew?

With that said - they should've just gone in a completely new direction instead of trying to force a bond like the old show... It's not working... BBC doesn't realize it's the chemistry of the old that made the show...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
JayNayNay
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Well... I think he just means there's literally been another post of the same topic so this is just a duplicate of a pre existing thread?

In simple terms, we already have a top gear thread which is like the original with the old crew, this is very much like the rebooted top gear with the new crew?

With that said - they should've just gone in a completely new direction instead of trying to force a bond like the old show... It's not working... BBC doesn't realize it's the chemistry of the old that made the show...
I know he was just saying there was another thread in which I searched and didn't find. Simple mistake made many times on forums, which I know is annoying but if you're not interested don't click on the thread.. Also doesn't need a sarcastic comment to point in the right direction...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

LeBlanc is a misfit for the show, but I enjoy his work. He has some cringe worthy moments, but I sorta laugh. He's a cool dude.

Sabine is bae.

Rory and Harris are great. All their pieces so far have been enjoyable to watch.

Eddie Jordan is a bro.

Stig is stig. Nothing really changed imo.

Chris Evans is a twat. I can't stand him. He can't articulate his voice for shit. He tries a bit too hard to be a car guy imo. Usually fast forward his bits.

This new celebrity thing is horrid. I hate it. Old one wasn't any better, but Clarkson made is bearable. This is just crap.

Overall, I have yet to watch a single episode all the way through. Evans is seriously annoying and the celebrity bits are way too long imo. Not saying the old show was perfect; it wasn't. But, all three of the presenters gave the show a charm that made me want to watch it.

This new show doesn't have said charm, mainly because there are too many presenters and the main is focus is on the wrong presenter. IMO, Harris, Rory, and Sabine should be conducting the car reviews and the challenges. LeBlanc and Jordan should be doing the celebrity/gimmicky stuff. Evans should just take his cut and leave.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #11
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Swap Chris Harris for Chris Evans and for added bonus, bring Tiff Needell on as a guest host. THEN I would be all about the new show.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I know he was just saying there was another thread in which I searched and didn't find. Simple mistake made many times on forums, which I know is annoying but if you're not interested don't click on the thread.. Also doesn't need a sarcastic comment to point in the right direction...
Man, you're gonna need thicker skin around these parts... It's what we do in the OT, we give each other a hard time... I just finished telling a girl she has arthritis, told another he is about to collect social security, and I think as I type this they are giving someone nutritional tips about sausages and egg yolk but substitute it with male body parts if you catch my drift...

Sensitivity won't get you very far here is my point... Life's too short and it's the interwebs - can't take everything so seriously...

Plus, eal is on his best behavior right now... Fresh off of a deportation and exile...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #13
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1
Swap Chris Harris for Chris Evans and for added bonus, bring Tiff Needell on as a guest host. THEN I would be all about the new show.
Funny you mention that... The top Google search for the American chris evans and top gear has skyrocketed, lol...

The U.K. Chris evans is terrible... Just awful... Gordon Ramsay would be a much better fit... Plus, not one but two la ferraris...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #14
JayNayNay
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Man, you're gonna need thicker skin around these parts... It's what we do in the OT, we give each other a hard time... I just finished telling a girl she has arthritis, told another he is about to collect social security, and I think as I type this they are giving someone nutritional tips about sausages and egg yolk but substitute it with male body parts if you catch my drift...

Sensitivity won't get you very far here is my point... Life's too short and it's the interwebs - can't take everything so seriously...

Plus, eal is on his best behavior right now... Fresh off of a deportation and exile...
Im not offended hence my sarcastic comment back, you was pointed out why he said that I was pointing out why I said mine...

Call me stupid but what is the OT?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #15
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Im not offended hence my sarcastic comment back, you was pointed out why he said that I was pointing out why I said mine...

Call me stupid but what is the OT?
Off Topic...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #16
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Off Topic...
I can't believe you actually answered this.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #17
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage
Quote:
Off Topic...
Hey, I can be helpful and encouraging at times !!! The sensitivity was set at like maximum level with this one so I put on the kid gloves...

It's better than the other thread where I keep cringing as someone didn't catch on with the sexual innuendos for about 4 pages in... Not to mention our futility...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #18
JayNayNay
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Off Topic...
Ah sound, and your examples of you giving people a "hard time" seem a little held back? Insults in England are a sign of friendship so some may say what you have said may be considered flirting...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #19
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage
Quote:
Off Topic...
You're right tho...

OT stands for Ovarian Thirst...

Now that I typed that out, totally applicable here, amirite, verbiage??
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #20
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Off Topic...
Ah sound, and your examples of you giving people a "hard time" seem a little held back? Insults in England are a sign of friendship so some may say what you have said may be considered flirting...
*bats eyelashes at you

Better?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #21
JayNayNay
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Hey I'm new to this, clearly could have been lead down the garden path here but was given mercy
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #22
JayNayNay
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
*bats eyelashes at you

Better?
I was hoping more of a nipslip but it will do
Appreciate 0