BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Let's See Your House Projects!

10-17-2019, 11:51 PM   #551
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Even back when I did a full exterior 4+2 for a grand, it was with a Wagner
      10-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #552
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Well, I didn't do it, but got a whiz-bang new double sump installed and the crawlspace encapsulated this week. Plus a commercial grade dehumidifier.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #553
hooligan_G01
Rep

Crawlspace.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #554
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Crawlspace.
That's one thing I don't miss when I was a cable tech was crawling in freakin crawl spaces . Tours is actually nice because it has a vapor barrier and laid down
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2019, 06:21 AM   #555
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
That's one thing I don't miss when I was a cable tech was crawling in freakin crawl spaces . Tours is actually nice because it has a vapor barrier and laid down
Yeah, plus we were getting pretty strong musty smells in the house because of the crawl. You wouldn't even need to put coveralls on to get in there now.

I hate spending that much money on something no one will ever see, we could have put hardwood floors in the entire house for the same amount, but it needed to be done. Crawlspace encapsulation, new sump pump system with batter back-up, dehumidifier and rim joist cavities spray-insulated.

Maybe now we can start spending money on fun things. Not basements and plumbing/sewer.

I don't know why it keeps turning my pictures sideways....
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #556
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Crawlspace.
How much of a hassle was this? We’re looking at homes from the 60s. A few are vacant and I’ve got my worries.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #557
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Every home that I ever lived in going back to when I was in diapers had copper pipes, and I have yet to sweat a bad connection. Between the potentials for theft and freeze damage as well as our water eating even certain grades of stainless steel, I have to do ditch every piece of metal in our plumbing system. I wish that it wasn't necessary, but I've spent way too many mornings using the dog's bathroom out in the yard because we had to shut the water off in the house to prevent the basement from flooding after another pipe burst.....
Just make sure you lower your water pressure, I see a lot of issues caused by that with plastic type plumbing. Shame you had to get rid of the copper, other types of piping make my life suck each day due to low pressure.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614894.00
      10-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #558
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Quote:
Crawlspace.
How much of a hassle was this? We’re looking at homes from the 60s. A few are vacant and I’ve got my worries.
Not much hassle for me, at all. I just wrote a check.

Pricey, though. ~$8K for 800 sq/ft of crawl, I think it was?
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #559
hooligan_G01
Rep

Also planted a couple of Korean maples and spread out a bunch of cedar mulch. Will be a container garden next spring.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #560
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Not much hassle for me, at all. I just wrote a check.

Pricey, though. ~$8K for 800 sq/ft of crawl, I think it was?
That’s what I’m worried about

One that we’re looking at probably has about 1000 sq ft of crawl space with fantastic joists and some vapor barrier put down. Certainly not encapsulated and is something I’d like to do. Little spooked on potential cost.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #561
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

So, my side gates were sagging and not latching well, so it was time to build some new ones. Since I overbuild everything and like the looks of it, I decided to fabricate the gates out of 4" x 4" square steel tubing and put 2 by redwood boards in it.

I made the brackets that hold the boards out of 3" x 1/4" flat bar, or course I had to make a jig to get the holes in the right place etc.

In addition to the 2 big gates, I put a smaller gate so we can access the side/backyard from the front yard without opening up the big gates (it will be nice in the summer with people coming and going from the pool and not having to go through the house).

For those interested, I used 'bullet' hinges, I did all my cuts with a radial arm saw with a really cool diamond blade that is made to cut steel (instead of the old carbon blades that suck), it was my first time using it, and it is great.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      10-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #562
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
So, my side gates were sagging and not latching well, so it was time to build some new ones. Since I overbuild everything and like the looks of it, I decided to fabricate the gates out of 4" x 4" square steel tubing and put 2 by redwood boards in it.

I made the brackets that hold the boards out of 3" x 1/4" flat bar, or course I had to make a jig to get the holes in the right place etc.

In addition to the 2 big gates, I put a smaller gate so we can access the side/backyard from the front yard without opening up the big gates (it will be nice in the summer with people coming and going from the pool and not having to go through the house).

For those interested, I used 'bullet' hinges, I did all my cuts with a radial arm saw with a really cool diamond blade that is made to cut steel (instead of the old carbon blades that suck), it was my first time using it, and it is great.

That looks great! Well done.
      10-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #563
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
That looks great! Well done.
Thanks, I still have to cut the posts, and I have some cool lights to cap them off with.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #564
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's a freakin nice color stain reminds me of The Karate Kid when Danielsan was painting Miyagi's fence
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #565
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:

4x4 steel tubing and 2by redwood boards - overbuilt is a massive understatement.

I wish redwood was a little more common out here in the midwest. We can get it, but it's always special order, which pretty much rules it out for small jobs due to min order sizes.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #566
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Recently completed this backyard project. The before pics were pretty much from when I first bought the house 2 years ago. After removing all the old crap, adding the PVC fence, leveling with 9 yards of dirt, planting the trees, low voltage lighting and then the paver wall, I'm pretty happy with the way I've got it looking now. So much work but it was all worth it

Final touch will be next spring... I'm going to do a paver patio with firepit in the corner that looks all dilapidated.
Attached Images

RickFLM410882.00
Ngilbe361618.50
King Rudi13152.00
      10-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #567
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

They look awesome!
      10-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #568
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
Recently completed this backyard project. The before pics were pretty much from when I first bought the house 2 years ago. After removing all the old crap, adding the PVC fence, leveling with 9 yards of dirt, planting the trees, low voltage lighting and then the paver wall, I'm pretty happy with the way I've got it looking now. So much work but it was all worth it

Final touch will be next spring... I'm going to do a paver patio with firepit in the corner that looks all dilapidated.
Great job....really love the lighting!
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #569
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
Great job....really love the lighting!
Thanks man! It really wasn't that hard to do either, the hardest part was burying the cable from the transformer across the yard.
      10-25-2019, 01:36 PM   #570
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

So I need some ideas. Tree fell on the old deck/stairs and it's all replaced now, but we never had an "awning" or gate at the bottom. That cross member needs something

The gate will have to go with the first snow
Attached Images

10-28-2019, 10:56 AM   #571
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Finally got the garage all painted (except for the stairs) and the storage boards up that I bought for a steal. 208 sq ft of the paneling in total in the garage.
Attached Images

2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 3
bosstones1144.00
Ickdeep5706.00
      10-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #572
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Finally got the garage all painted (except for the stairs) and the storage boards up that I bought for a steal. 208 sq ft of the paneling in total in the garage.
looks great! where did you buy the panels and what's it made out of?
Appreciate 0