BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Cold air intake for 20i ?

12-13-2020, 09:28 AM   #1
Sherifelewa
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29 sdrive20i 2020

Cold air intake for 20i ?

Any cold air intake options in the market for sdrive20i ?
From the online reviews MST sounds the best however I contacted them and they don't offer it for the M40
      12-18-2020, 08:16 PM   #2
ArmnStig
armenianstig
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4 sdrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifelewa View Post
Any cold air intake options in the market for sdrive20i ?
From the online reviews MST sounds the best however I contacted them and they don't offer it for the M40
I've been looking for one for the longest time for my 30i. I asked the person that sold me all my parts that nothing fits our cars (4cyl ones) and tbat some modifications to the engine bay and i take would be necessary to install an aftermarket cold air intake.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
Amadeo
Skipper
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw g29 z4 sdrive 30i

Garage List

Maybe you can use this one as it is also for a b48 engine.
      12-19-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
ArmnStig
armenianstig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeo View Post

Maybe you can use this one as it is also for a b48 engine.
Thanks, I sent them an email. Let's see what happens
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #5
Sherifelewa
Egypt
Rep

Already texted MST , apparently the b48 intake that would fit in the 3 series isn't designed to fit in the Z as well
Too bad !!! So far I think nothing sounds better than the MST
      02-16-2021, 02:50 AM   #6
ArmnStig
armenianstig
United_States
Rep

Bump. Has anyone been able to find any cold air intakes for the B48 Z4? Still no luck on my end.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 04:13 PM   #7
Sherifelewa
Egypt
Rep

Nothing so far , guess it will take sometime..
There aren't actually much to add for the 4 cylinder except tuning the engine for a better performance which I already did . However I'm still looking forward for further modifications ( Intake , down pipe , louder exhaust )
      02-17-2021, 04:30 PM   #8
ArmnStig
armenianstig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There aren't actually much to add for the 4 cylinder except tuning the engine for a better performance which I already did . However I'm still looking forward for further modifications ( Intake , down pipe , louder exhaust )
Yeah I did the same. I highly recommend the Evolution Racewerks catless down pipe for the 30i; I'm running it right now and it's crazy paired with a muffler delete. Also if you're looking for performance exhausts, you should check out LAPTORR. They just released it
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 05:04 PM   #9
Sherifelewa
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmnStig View Post
Quote:
Yeah I did the same. I highly recommend the Evolution Racewerks catless down pipe for the 30i; I'm running it right now and it's crazy paired with a muffler delete. Also if you're looking for performance exhausts, you should check out LAPTORR. They just released it
Oh they released it already !! Last time I emailed them it was still being developed . it sounds crazy , way deeper tone compared to stock exhaust
      02-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #10
ArmnStig
armenianstig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh they released it already !! Last time I emailed them it was still being developed . it sounds crazy , way deeper tone compared to stock exhaust
Yeah it definitely has deeper tone. I like it a lot. Personally I think my setup is throatier and has more of a deeper growl than the laptorr and all I have is a muffler delete on top of a catless dp. If you want to hear what it sounds like I'll link it below. The video doesn't really do it justice, it's much louder than you'd think haha.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNC8v86oPJM&t=6s
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 06:29 AM   #11
Sherifelewa
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah it definitely has deeper tone. I like it a lot. Personally I think my setup is throatier and has more of a deeper growl than the laptorr and all I have is a muffler delete on top of a catless dp. If you want to hear what it sounds like I'll link it below. The video doesn't really do it justice, it's much louder than you'd think haha.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNC8v86oPJM&t=6s
Oh that's your car then ! 😁,, I've seen the video before and was wondering what else have you done to make it sound like that .
Love how it sounds
      05-22-2021, 06:58 AM   #12
z4viper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 G29, BMW X1 F48

Has there been any update on this?
I'd really love a cold air intake on my B48 20i but haven't found anything yet!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #13
ArmnStig
armenianstig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29dante View Post
Has there been any update on this?
I'd really love a cold air intake on my B48 20i but haven't found anything yet!
I found this just now!

https://store.sp-power.com/collectio...-l4-2-0l-t-b48
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #14
z4viper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Legend mate! I'll be ordering for July when it comes out

Looping in Designer003 - I think you said you have an AMS carbon cold air intake, could you link? Only for M40i or 20/30i too? Thanks
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2021, 06:26 PM   #15
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Quote:

Looping in Designer003 - I think you said you have an AMS carbon cold air intake, could you link? Only for M40i or 20/30i too? Thanks
As a newbie, what does this do to your car? More horsepower?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 04:48 AM   #16
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcard71 View Post
Cold air intakes are usually done on cars like ours for asethetics and a slight change in sound. (You should be able to hear the engine taking in air a little more.)
The horsepower gains will be margainal at best, probably not discernible from the driver's seat.
Charles
      05-23-2021, 05:59 AM   #17
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcard71 View Post
Cold air intakes are usually done on cars like ours for asethetics and a slight change in sound. (You should be able to hear the engine taking in air a little more.)
The horsepower gains will be margainal at best, probably not discernible from the driver's seat.
Charles
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 02:16 AM   #18
Designer003
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Quote:

Sry I haven't got online in a while.

Actually AMS one I have is just for Supra, not for G29 and there isn't a cut out space for reinforcement bars in Z4.(which you don't have it Supra, Z4 needs it because its a convertible)

Back in early last year, AMS intake for supra was an only option, so I modified a bit on reinforcement bars to fit it in...

GruppeM makes one too but I think its only for M40i and Supra.
https://gruppemdirect.com/collection...40-i3-0l-turbo

As for the effect after the installation, I still don't hear the air charge sound...
I did notice a good amount of increase in responsiveness of gas pedal, in sport and sport+, which was super fun.

If I were to modify 4 cylinder, downpipe and ECU tune comes first for more power. Then maybe a better brake disk if you are driving sportier setting. An air intake will be the bottom of the list (cuz they aren't cheap)
Attached Images

05-30-2021, 06:18 PM   #19
z4viper
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer003 View Post

Actually AMS one I have is just for Supra, not for G29 and there isn't a cut out space for reinforcement bars in Z4.(which you don't have it Supra, Z4 needs it because its a convertible)

Back in early last year, AMS intake for supra was an only option, so I modified a bit on reinforcement bars to fit it in...

As for the effect after the installation, I still don't hear the air charge sound...
I did notice a good amount of increase in responsiveness of gas pedal, in sport and sport+, which was super fun.

If I were to modify 4 cylinder, downpipe and ECU tune comes first for more power. Then maybe a better brake disk if you are driving sportier setting. An air intake will be the bottom of the list (cuz they aren't cheap)
Thanks man!

I'm thinking of going for a ECU tune when I can find a good reputable company (many dodgy ones here!).
I personally love the sound of my 20i in Sport+ (makes me wonder what the 30i and 40i must sound like!) - so I may go for a res delete or muffler delete to just amplify that sound

Brakes are a good one! Must admit this car is so light it breaks so well, but I want to get better sports breaks that can handle more
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 07:46 PM   #20
ArmnStig
armenianstig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer003 View Post

Thanks man!

I'm thinking of going for a ECU tune when I can find a good reputable company (many dodgy ones here!).
I personally love the sound of my 20i in Sport+ (makes me wonder what the 30i and 40i must sound like!) - so I may go for a res delete or muffler delete to just amplify that sound

Brakes are a good one! Must admit this car is so light it breaks so well, but I want to get better sports breaks that can handle more
Hey if you'd like an idea of what that would sound like I have a 30i with a muffler delete and catless downpipe. Here's the link to the youtube video. DME Tuning did a great job on my stage 2 tune.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 03:10 AM   #21
Designer003
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Quote:
Thanks man!

Totally agree with the need to find a reputable ECU tune company.
It might be more expensive but it is worth it. If it's not done in right way, it will mess up the engine for sure. I suggest to do it together with downpipes change.

I have 300 cell downpipe. Factory downpipe is probably at 600-800 cell. Catless downpipe could get more HP out of car but the sound is brutal. Also unfiltered exhaust stinks! Do with passion and caution
      09-01-2021, 10:09 AM   #22
GeneticX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Hey if you'd like an idea of what that would sound like I have a 30i with a muffler delete and catless downpipe. Here's the link to the youtube video. DME Tuning did a great job on my stage 2 tune.

I also have a 30i and would like to have a deeper sound.
Looking for a catless downpipe or one with a sportcat.
The company I had contact with said I also have to reprogram the ecu.

Is there anyone here who can confirm if this is necessary after placing a downpipe? I don't want to tune the engine, I only want some deeper and more sound (pops).

What are the consequenses if I don't reflash the ECU? If it's only a check-enginelight I can live with that..

Appreciate 0