CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...qqqph9/summary

Playing around with different builds and she came up with this (pasted below as well). Keep in mind she is still entertaining completely different vehicles and has not test driven anything yet.
The LSD will help with traction off the line, but it is more noticeable in cornering. In a turn the car's weight will transfer to one side, and without an LSD, the power will go to the side with least weight e.g. the inside. With the LSD, you'll get more evenly distributed power. You can power out of turns much better. It's noticeable even just turning right at a stop sign.
But I'd suggest you budget for a set of winter wheels and tires if you are concerned about traction in cold weather. All-season tires are a poor substitute ...average or good at everything, great at nothing.

Notes on your build:
--No leather? The first BMW I bought didn't have leather, I regretted that since the cabin didn't smell like much of anything. Leather feels better, too.
--Stock sound system. No idea how good (or bad) it is ...personally I like having the upgraded sound systems. The harman kardon systems add to the premium feel of the vehicle.
--The 18" wheels will keep tire prices lower than the 19" options.
--No heads-up display in your build. Maybe test drive with this feature. If you plan to use the navigation, it's a great option. I almost consider it a safety feature in that case since you don't need to look away from the road.

BMW only offers M Sport with specific paint options, that's why Mineral White is unavailable.

Charles
      02-17-2021, 10:42 AM   #46
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
2) Does Apple CarPlay come standard or do you need to get the wireless charger?

Apple Car Play is standard and wireless - no cable required.
Thanks for confirming!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #47
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
The LSD will help with traction off the line, but it is more noticeable in cornering. In a turn the car's weight will transfer to one side, and without an LSD, the power will go to the side with least weight e.g. the inside. With the LSD, you'll get more evenly distributed power. You can power out of turns much better. It's noticeable even just turning right at a stop sign.
But I'd suggest you budget for a set of winter wheels and tires if you are concerned about traction in cold weather. All-season tires are a poor substitute ...average or good at everything, great at nothing.
Sounds like LSD is worth it? The prior poster stated it would have an adverse effect but doesn't sound like it would.

I tend to agree on the tires - I run dedicated winters on my cars but she will never see the limits of either and won't go out in the snow like I do. Several on the F97 forum switched to all seasons and have been happy in both dry and snow performance. For those who hit the limits, it isn't a good option. For her, I think they'll be fine. Biggest concern would be wet performance.

Notes on your build:
Quote:
--No leather? The first BMW I bought didn't have leather, I regretted that since the cabin didn't smell like much of anything. Leather feels better, too.
Interesting I didn't realize this option was not leather. I thought it was the lower quality leather. I'll raise this.

Quote:
--Stock sound system. No idea how good (or bad) it is ...personally I like having the upgraded sound systems. The harman kardon systems add to the premium feel of the vehicle.
I've got the HK and it is far from good. I replaced all the speakers with Bavsound and added a sub and amp in the trunk. The HK is harder to upgrade over the stock system. Not sure about the Z4, but there are better external amps for the base system. I'll have to research.

Quote:
Good point. This is more for looks but I'll see if she likes any of the 18"s (assuming you can get with the M-Sport).

Quote:
--No heads-up display in your build. Maybe test drive with this feature. If you plan to use the navigation, it's a great option. I almost consider it a safety feature in that case since you don't need to look away from the road.
I have the HUD in my X3 and honestly I could do without it. You can't see it with polarized sunglasses (which I wear during the day), it tends to block my view of the road at night, does not auto-dim at night, we both use Apple Maps which don't work with it. So basically it tells me my speed which I don't really care about (I'm either with traffic or flying past people).

Quote:
BMW only offers M Sport with specific paint options, that's why Mineral White is unavailable.

Charles
Interesting. I don't care for white but she does and found the Mineral a little softer in pics. Too bad BMW limits you.

Thanks so much for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #48
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
Quote:
The performance of the M40i was not worth the price increase () for her but I did feel the M-Sport and Dynamic handling packages were a must. The latter specifically for the LSD as this will be a daily driver with all season tires and I feel it will help in slippery conditions.
Dynamic Handling Package
$2,450
I agree with you on the six-cylinder vs. four-cylinder engine not being worth $10,000 especially for a daily driver. The 30i's 0-60 is listed at 5.2 seconds which is really fast. Back in the day anything with 0-60 less than seven seconds was considered fast. The M40i's 0-60 is sub-four seconds. That's stupid fast - as in stupid tickets, stupid maintenance and stupid accidents. I can see why people get it!

Now why on earth would you want a LSD for a daily driver. On wet roads it's going to fishtail as the torque gets sent to one wheel after the other as each loses traction. BMW's DSC will handle any slippage on your daily driver with aplomb (cool word). If a specific wheel loses
traction the car will apply the brake on that wheel increasing the amount of torque to the other wheel allowing you to get moving in slippery conditions. If that is not enough traction, you can put the car in DTC mode and spin both wheels to get moving in really slippery conditions (just remember you've got to stop the vehicle in the same slippery conditions).

The Dynamic Handling Package is a marketing ploy. It used to be called the Track Handling Package which probably limited its' sales. Give it another name and people gobble it up (plus you get the pretty red or blue calipers). Unless you plan on taking your car to the track I can't see how you would ever need the beefier brakes and the LSD. Now, on the other hand the Adaptive M Suspension might make sense (I hope so as I ordered it on my car!). Besides only costing $700 instead of $2,450 it is something that one should be able to feel with every foot of road traveled - soft cushy ride on the interstates and tight, firm suspension when carving mountain roads.

Anyway, my two cents worth. You will absolutely get opposing opinions on this forum. But really, is your wife going to track the car?
Ugh - you don't need to go to the track to have the dynamic handling package. Do a Google search
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 03:36 PM   #49
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
>>>
I have the HUD in my X3 and honestly I could do without it. You can't see it with polarized sunglasses (which I wear during the day), it tends to block my view of the road at night, does not auto-dim at night, we both use Apple Maps which don't work with it. So basically it tells me my speed which I don't really care about (I'm either with traffic or flying past people).
<<<

Latest major SW version from July (?) will show Apple Maps instructions on heads up display.
Appreciate 1
CJ4211559.00
      02-17-2021, 07:38 PM   #50
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds like LSD is worth it? The prior poster stated it would have an adverse effect but doesn't sound like it would.
The LSD is an option for spirited/performance driving. Check youtube for some track/HPDE-focused videos that explain how it helps. It is primarily useful for powering out of a turn. In your scenario, it can help off the line in slippery road conditions, but I doubt it will make the difference between getting somewhere and not getting somewhere. The tires are a far more important factor.

Unless performance driving is the goal, the standalone adaptive suspension option is just $700 on the 30i. Of all the things in the dynamic handling package, that's probably the only one that would be noticeable day to day.
You could use the money you saved from not getting the dynamic handling package towards leather ($1,700 option) or just enjoy the savings.

Charles
      02-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #51
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcard71 View Post
Ugh - you don't need to go to the track to have the dynamic handling package. Do a Google search
To spta97 -

Check out this article: https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...ferential.html

From the guy that developed the BMW Active M Differential system : "This equal distribution does harbour one handicap. If you accelerate out of a bend adopting a more sport-oriented driving style, the load on the wheel on the inside of the bend is reduced and in turn it can only transfer a reduced torque to the road surface." and "Whether a professional driver or a relatively inexperienced amateur (I am assuming he is referring to an amateur racetrack driver as he mentions racetrack), the aim is to enable all drivers to drive as fast as possible along a racetrack..."

My bold and italics.

If your girlfriend is going to track the car, pay your money and get the Active M Differential. My guess is that long before she can enjoy the benefits of that upgrade she is going to be stabbing the brake pedal in the turn and relying on DSC to save her. But I have never met her - she might want to drift the car around the turn!

I told you you'd get a bunch of opinions. Research, research, research...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 02:23 PM   #52
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Quote:

I tend to agree on the tires - I run dedicated winters on my cars but she will never see the limits of either and won't go out in the snow like I do. Several on the F97 forum switched to all seasons and have been happy in both dry and snow performance. For those who hit the limits, it isn't a good option. For her, I think they'll be fine. Biggest concern would be wet performance.

Notes on your build:
Quote:
Interesting I didn't realize this option was not leather. I thought it was the lower quality leather. I'll raise this.

Quote:
I've got the HK and it is far from good. I replaced all the speakers with Bavsound and added a sub and amp in the trunk. The HK is harder to upgrade over the stock system. Not sure about the Z4, but there are better external amps for the base system. I'll have to research.

Quote:
Good point. This is more for looks but I'll see if she likes any of the 18"s (assuming you can get with the M-Sport).

Quote:

Quote:

Charles
Interesting. I don't care for white but she does and found the Mineral a little softer in pics. Too bad BMW limits you.

Thanks so much for the feedback!
Check this link out too.

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006314
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 06:52 PM   #53
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcard71 View Post
The Dynamic Handling Package on the 5-series is a different animal than the one available on the Z4 30i. It is much more advanced ...you get Adaptive Drive and Active Roll Stabilization, neither of which are available on the Z4.

Charles
BMWGirlFL6277.50