BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Dash cam, anyone?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
Ktmdude
Private
Ktmdude's Avatar
42
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: F85 X5M
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Hi everyone,
I'm an F85 owner looking for a dash cam, maybe two (one for in the back). I would love to hear as many recommendations as possible.

I've never owned a dash cam so I have no clue what's a good one and at what price it starts. The only condition I really have is that it has to be able to record when the car is shut off.

Keep in mind that I live in Europe, so some American brands might not be an option for me.

I saw this dashcam on the Vehicle Virgins youtube channel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076FVPTLN?tag=dashcamvava
What do you think? Average price? Too expensive?

Last edited by Ktmdude; 02-19-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
ScottSinger
Major General
2089
Rep
5,049
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Contact then to see if it will work are you an iPhone user

https://owlcam.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5a...saAr9dEALw_wcB
Appreciate 1
Ktmdude41.50

      02-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
Arcades
Lup's Kid
Arcades's Avatar
Taiwan
3769
Rep
4,266
Posts

Drives: 18' Grigio Medio F80
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
BlackVue or Thinkware.

I have the BlackVue DR750S

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/
__________________
'18 BMW F80 M3 Competition Grigio Medio/Nutmeg "Stella" // '21 Porsche Macan GTS Chalk/Black 'Elsa'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
You're making babies for me!
Appreciate 2
Ktmdude41.50
nyalpine906388.00

      02-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
yousefnjr
Colonel
1981
Rep
2,140
Posts

Drives: 06 Z4MR, 19 i3S, 20 X7
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

I got that vava cam a couple months ago. It’s ok. Easy to set up, it makes its own WiFi network and you connect to it on your phone. If your cig lighter stays hot with the key off (like mine does) then you’ll have to plug/unplug it every time you drive, otherwise it’ll run continuously
__________________
H&R Coilovers | AFE Intake + Sound Generator | Stromung Cans | VT Engine Mounts | RE Trans Mounts | RE RSM's | Beisan Vanos Kit | Aero Skirts | VMR V803's | GTB Pedals | F10 M5 Knob | Alcantara Wheel | Black Kidneys | 4.10 Gears | CPI Stepped Headers | ESS Tune | DKF Catless S-Pipe | SS Brake Lines | AS SSK | CDV Delete
Appreciate 1
Ktmdude41.50

      02-18-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
turboawd
Colonel
1583
Rep
2,991
Posts

Drives: 2015 X5 35i
Join Date: May 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

i use the Rexing V1 in a couple cars. i like how it doesnt stick out much.
https://www.amazon.com/V1-Dashboard-...dp/B00X528FNE/
Appreciate 1
Ktmdude41.50

      02-19-2018, 07:13 AM   #6
thetastelingers
Master Baiter
thetastelingers's Avatar
4079
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: 08 Z06
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Soddy Daisy

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Another vote for the Blackvue. I have the 650 and am very happy with it.
__________________

FYI, if you get an infraction in the off-topic section, you can never visit that section again.
Appreciate 1
Ktmdude41.50

      02-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
BEM-S4's Avatar
United_States
4314
Rep
8,838
Posts

Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (4)

I've been happy with my Goluk it's a USB plug in so the install is a breeze. The app is pretty good if you can get past the silly Chinese instructions. "Plug in camera for super fun exciting happy time" sort of thing.
__________________
2016 F23 M235 xDrive Convertible • Dinan Stage 2 • AA IC • Apex EC-7 • MPE
2016 F31 328 xDrive Sport Wagon • Dinan Stage 1 • Vorsteiner V-FF 105 • BBK • 34 Hours 35 Minutes NY to LA
2006 E46 330ci ZHP Convertible • Apex ARC-8
Appreciate 1
Ktmdude41.50

      02-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
Ktmdude
Private
Ktmdude's Avatar
42
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: F85 X5M
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Contact then to see if it will work are you an iPhone user

https://owlcam.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5a...saAr9dEALw_wcB
That dashcam looks really nice! Sadly it's only available in the US at this moment.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
Ktmdude
Private
Ktmdude's Avatar
42
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: F85 X5M
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I've been happy with my Goluk it's a USB plug in so the install is a breeze. The app is pretty good if you can get past the silly Chinese instructions. "Plug in camera for super fun exciting happy time" sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
Ktmdude
Private
Ktmdude's Avatar
42
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: F85 X5M
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

I'll probably go with the Blackvue as they are also easy to come by in Belgium, thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #11
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
nyalpine90's Avatar
United_States
6388
Rep
11,290
Posts

Drives: G01 Msport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: L.I. NY

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [5.00]
Dash cam?



I been watching youtube videos, and searching for a dash cam that has great recording quality for driving night/day and for parking. One cam will be mounted in front windshield, 2nd mounted rear glass. Hopefully something I can do without cutting wires for power source. I need to install them on 2 vehicles. User friendly for setup/install!Any recommendations ??
no bulky cams.

Blackvue is pricey but quality is top notch
Vava is too big, price is OK.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:15 AM   #12
12v_dub
Second Lieutenant
12v_dub's Avatar
United_States
241
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: 21' M340i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (3)

I have a blackvue 750 and it's a great unit. No issues whatsoever. I have it wired thru a OBD2 plug which is a plug and play.

https://www.amazon.com/Hardwiring-Co.../dp/B07BCWX2MM
Appreciate 1
nyalpine906388.00

      10-31-2018, 09:33 AM   #13
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
nyalpine90's Avatar
United_States
6388
Rep
11,290
Posts

Drives: G01 Msport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: L.I. NY

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v_dub View Post
I have a blackvue 750 and it's a great unit. No issues whatsoever. I have it wired thru a OBD2 plug which is a plug and play.

https://www.amazon.com/Hardwiring-Co.../dp/B07BCWX2MM
i like this feature, you have to switch back n forth between modes. It doesnt recognize when its parked?

how do I know which cam to get for rear, if i was to get 750.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #14
12v_dub
Second Lieutenant
12v_dub's Avatar
United_States
241
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: 21' M340i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (3)

Here is my setup







Appreciate 1
nyalpine906388.00

      10-31-2018, 09:46 AM   #15
12v_dub
Second Lieutenant
12v_dub's Avatar
United_States
241
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: 21' M340i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
i like this feature, you have to switch back n forth between modes. It doesnt recognize when its parked?

how do I know which cam to get for rear, if i was to get 750.
If you want front and rear, get 750-ch2. 750's have much improved night vision over 650's and the cloud sharing is great. blackvue has an app for your phone which can easily access all the setting and download camera segments. I have it set up at 1 min increment segments so the file isn't too large when i need to download it.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine906388.00

      10-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #16
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
nyalpine90's Avatar
United_States
6388
Rep
11,290
Posts

Drives: G01 Msport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: L.I. NY

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v_dub View Post
If you want front and rear, get 750-ch2. 750's have much improved night vision over 650's and the cloud sharing is great. blackvue has an app for your phone which can easily access all the setting and download camera segments. I have it set up at 1 min increment segments so the file isn't too large when i need to download it.
nice interior , i have same one lol
is there way i can connect both cams to odb port? maybe seperate module where both cams connect.

sorry, first time looking into dash cams.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:18 AM   #17
detroitm2
Colonel
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
2096
Rep
2,437
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
nice interior , i have same one lol
is there way i can connect both cams to odb port? maybe seperate module where both cams connect.

sorry, first time looking into dash cams.
The rear camera piggybacks off the front camera. Theres only 1 power connection.
Appreciate 2
nyalpine906388.00
12v_dub241.00

      10-31-2018, 10:27 AM   #18
Alpine_F82
Just Building My M4 Track Car
Alpine_F82's Avatar
United_States
187
Rep
598
Posts

Drives: 15’ M4 Alpine
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktmdude View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm an F85 owner looking for a dash cam, maybe two (one for in the back). I would love to hear as many recommendations as possible.

I've never owned a dash cam so I have no clue what's a good one and at what price it starts. The only condition I really have is that it has to be able to record when the car is shut off.

Keep in mind that I live in Europe, so some American brands might not be an option for me.

I saw this dashcam on the Vehicle Virgins youtube channel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076FVPTLN?tag=dashcamvava
What do you think? Average price? Too expensive?
I use the Papago 760 it’s got motion detection, driving and front and rear cameras holds up to 128gb SIM card comes with a 32gb standard.

The blackvue 750s are very good to just pretty pricey the Papago is
$199.95 Amazon and the blackvue 750 is 399.95 with 16gb standard can hold 128gb and there is a parking mode the only thing I question about Papago is if it’s available in Europe
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:37 AM   #19
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
1990
Rep
2,479
Posts

Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
In to look at later
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #20
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
nyalpine90's Avatar
United_States
6388
Rep
11,290
Posts

Drives: G01 Msport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: L.I. NY

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [5.00]
is the mounting sticker better then suction?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:53 AM   #21
12v_dub
Second Lieutenant
12v_dub's Avatar
United_States
241
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: 21' M340i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
nice interior , i have same one lol
is there way i can connect both cams to odb port? maybe seperate module where both cams connect.

sorry, first time looking into dash cams.
yes. rear cam hooks up to front cam and then you run the wire to the obd2 connector.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine906388.00

      10-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #22
12v_dub
Second Lieutenant
12v_dub's Avatar
United_States
241
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: 21' M340i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
is the mounting sticker better then suction?
No experience. it's a 3M adhesive, and once you stick it on there, it stays put. You can certainly peel it off without any messy goo.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine906388.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST