BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Questions from Prospective Buyer

02-10-2021, 10:59 AM   #23
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

Given what you told us about HER needs and wants, it sounds like the 30i will be the right choice. Now, what YOU want her to get may be different!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 12:29 PM   #24
Wife'sCar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 S30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Good point about visibility. I saw a poster who installed the clear one and it confused me why BMW didn’t go that route unless the mesh is somehow better at wind deflection. To be honest, I doubt she’ll ever take the top down lol. Like I said, it’s the looks of the car and she’s wanted it since the Z3.

I watched several videos on the 30i and it seems like it would be plenty of power...for her. My X3MC is 503 HP which is the sweet spot for me

Edited to add - I’m disappointed the Z4 doesn’t come with the 360 cameras at this price point.
Oh no, the top is down the majority of the time! If it's not raining and above 50F, she has the top down. And that does increase her comfort level around visibility - she can actually look over her shoulder and check the blind spots. With the top up she's dependent on the mirrors, with which she has much less confidence. But she's had it less that two weeks, so increased familiarity will help over the next couple weeks. Then we can start talking about sport+ and pseudo-manual shifting.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #25
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
Given what you told us about HER needs and wants, it sounds like the 30i will be the right choice. Now, what YOU want her to get may be different!
Ha ha! Guilty!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #26
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wife'sCar View Post
Oh no, the top is down the majority of the time! If it's not raining and above 50F, she has the top down. And that does increase her comfort level around visibility - she can actually look over her shoulder and check the blind spots. With the top up she's dependent on the mirrors, with which she has much less confidence. But she's had it less that two weeks, so increased familiarity will help over the next couple weeks. Then we can start talking about sport+ and pseudo-manual shifting.
In NY, it will usually be too hot or too cold for her to have the top down.

Then, when it is nice for like 3 weeks, I'm sure she'll be concerned about skin damage due to the sun.

I personally think a convertible (let alone a two seater) is not the right car for her but she has been fixated on the Z4 (3) for over a decade.

Once we actually test drive she will either be ok with it, convince herself she is ok, or come to her senses and get a more practical car.

We'll see what happens....
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #27
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixitt View Post
Yep, 1:25.
Ok, I don’t think the M40i Z4 comes with this standard. And the optional parking assistant is indeed hands free, but you still need to operate the pedals as far as I know. In the US anyway.

In the past one had to choose between parking assistant and park distance control. Problem was that the later is part of the driving assistance package, meaning you couldn’t have driving assistance with parking assistant. I think they resolved this now, but you still can’t have both options; however, the configurator lets customers add the package and add the assistant as an option, so maybe it’s possible now?

The parking assistant has the really useful feature to automatically reverse for x feet - handy to get out of a tight unfamiliar parking spot. Would have loved that feature!

But if BMW updated any of that please do let me know! And I don’t know about the 30i.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 04:49 PM   #28
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Convenience Package

Active Blind Spot Detection
Active Driving Assistant
Comfort Access keyless entry
Lane Departure Warning
Lumbar support
Parking Assistant
Rear view camera
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 10:39 PM   #29
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Convenience Package

Active Blind Spot Detection
Active Driving Assistant
Comfort Access keyless entry
Lane Departure Warning
Lumbar support
Parking Assistant
Rear view camera
Right, not standard and not 'foot free' - unlike the system in the video, the driver still has to operate pedals.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 08:34 AM   #30
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Right, not standard and not 'foot free' - unlike the system in the video, the driver still has to operate pedals.
Consider it "standard" when you are choose one of the packages as you do your build - Convenience, Premium or Exec. When I built and chose my wheels the Convenience package is auto added.

I watched the video again and you don't operate any pedals as long as you're pressing the PA button and it's hands off the steering wheel as the car does it's thing. Whatever.....pretty cool feature especially if you failed parallel parking.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #31
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wife'sCar View Post
Sounds like my daughter. Has always driven a convertible since getting her license in the dim distant past.

Only difference is she is a 6MT "M" person so no doubt which Z4 version she would buy if it offered a manual transmission.

She is going to upset my vision & get a Pig Snout M4 when they are available. Expect she will kick my butt which will shut me up over that OINK, OINK.

Living in the south is pretty good for convertibles. Weather sucks today but two days ago I was out in the Z4 in a T shirt with the top down working on my first tan.

Cobra does not have a roof so thats no issue

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 10:15 PM   #32
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Consider it "standard" when you are choose one of the packages as you do your build - Convenience, Premium or Exec. When I built and chose my wheels the Convenience package is auto added.

I watched the video again and you don't operate any pedals as long as you're pressing the PA button and it's hands off the steering wheel as the car does it's thing. Whatever.....pretty cool feature especially if you failed parallel parking.

Read the description of the Parking Assistant on the Z4 Configurator on bmwusa.com Clearly states that the driver needs to operate the pedals.

Functionality of the various assistants does vary across the lineup.

However, wouldn’t be the first time that the configurator is wrong or outdated. So maybe it works like in the video, but I honestly doubt it. We (people on this forum) seem to get a couple deliveries in March, maybe someone can confirm after they take delivery?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 06:29 AM   #33
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Functionality of the various assistants does vary across the lineup.
Video is demonstrating Parking Assistant Plus w/ Surround View (5DN). Z4 equipment is Parking Assistant (5DM). From an Italian Z4 Price List:
Quote:
Includes: Active PDC (within 5km / h prevents or limits the risk of collision when parking maneuvers using the brakes), rear view camera with parking guidelines, Parking assistant: the car parks autonomously both in parallel and perpendicular to the driving lane, Reverse assistant: driving forward within 35km / h the system memorizes the last 50m of the road and the obstacles present, by engaging the reverse gear the system takes control of the steering and retraces the road traveled in reverse. The driver remains responsible for the accelerator and brake.
Also described in Z4 Owners Manual.
Quote:
The parking assistant calculates the best possible parking line and takes control of the following functions during the parking operation:
▷ Steering.
▷ Accelerating and braking.
▷ Changing gears.
The parking operation is automatic.
I really wanted active PDC. Used it once to perpendicular park.
Appreciate 1
CeEl477.50
      02-12-2021, 09:41 AM   #34
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Video is demonstrating Parking Assistant Plus w/ Surround View (5DN). Z4 equipment is Parking Assistant (5DM). From an Italian Z4 Price List:

I really wanted active PDC. Used it once to perpendicular park.
Just called our San Antonio Genius to check on my build status (which is going yellow status meaning they'll start soon, yay) and asked about the PA. You're right, the regular PA does require driver control of the pedals, PA Plus does it all, you just hold down the console button until you're parked.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 10:22 AM   #35
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Just called our San Antonio Genius to check on my build status (which is going yellow status meaning they'll start soon, yay) and asked about the PA. You're right, the regular PA does require driver control of the pedals, PA Plus does it all, you just hold down the console button until you're parked.
Quote:
Z4 equipment is Parking Assistant (5DM). From an Italian Z4 Price List:
Quote:
Includes: Active PDC (within 5km / h prevents or limits the risk of collision when parking maneuvers using the brakes), rear view camera with parking guidelines, Parking assistant: the car parks autonomously both in parallel and perpendicular to the driving lane, Reverse assistant: driving forward within 35km / h the system memorizes the last 50m of the road and the obstacles present, by engaging the reverse gear the system takes control of the steering and retraces the road traveled in reverse. The driver remains responsible for the accelerator and brake.
Quote:
The parking assistant calculates the best possible parking line and takes control of the following functions during the parking operation:
▷ Steering.
Accelerating and braking.
▷ Changing gears.
The parking operation is automatic.

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 02-12-2021 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #36
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
"Trust but verify".

Not that I really care..........
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 10:30 PM   #37
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Thank you for looking this up. I don’t have active PA (or PA Plus or whatever it’s called) or any PA for that matter, but I vaguely recall there were conflicts on the 2020 M40i and I couldn’t get with another option pack.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 10:33 PM   #38
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
"Trust but verify".

Not that I really care..........
Yeah, any PA is good on the Z4. Frankly, it’s so maneuverable, small’ish and with the reverse mirror down feature I haven’t had any parking issues.

Even the front sonic sensors are much better than on the previous version - I scratched the bottom of my old Z4 on the 3rd outing but this one doesn’t even have a curb rash (yet)!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #39
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Proposed Build

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...qqqph9/summary

Playing around with different builds and she came up with this (pasted below as well). Keep in mind she is still entertaining completely different vehicles and has not test driven anything yet.

The performance of the M40i was not worth the price increase () for her but I did feel the M-Sport and Dynamic handling packages were a must. The latter specifically for the LSD as this will be a daily driver with all season tires and I feel it will help in slippery conditions.

I did have some questions though:
1) Selecting "Mineral White" as the color basically prohibits you from a lot of options. Any idea why?

2) Does Apple CarPlay come standard or do you need to get the wireless charger?

3) Any issues with the build (i.e., stuff that should be included)?

Design
M Sport
$2,650
Exterior
Alpine White

18" M Double-spoke orbit grey wheels, style 798M with performance non run-flat tires

Standard Black soft top

Interior
Black SensaTec

Aluminum trim with mesh effect

Options
Convenience Package (Included)

Dynamic Handling Package
$2,450
Ambient Lighting
$250
Heated front seats
$500
Heated Steering Wheel
$190
Remote Engine Start
$300
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #40
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
The performance of the M40i was not worth the price increase () for her but I did feel the M-Sport and Dynamic handling packages were a must. The latter specifically for the LSD as this will be a daily driver with all season tires and I feel it will help in slippery conditions.
Dynamic Handling Package
$2,450
I agree with you on the six-cylinder vs. four-cylinder engine not being worth $10,000 especially for a daily driver. The 30i's 0-60 is listed at 5.2 seconds which is really fast. Back in the day anything with 0-60 less than seven seconds was considered fast. The M40i's 0-60 is sub-four seconds. That's stupid fast - as in stupid tickets, stupid maintenance and stupid accidents. I can see why people get it!

Now why on earth would you want a LSD for a daily driver. On wet roads it's going to fishtail as the torque gets sent to one wheel after the other as each loses traction. BMW's DSC will handle any slippage on your daily driver with aplomb (cool word). If a specific wheel loses
traction the car will apply the brake on that wheel increasing the amount of torque to the other wheel allowing you to get moving in slippery conditions. If that is not enough traction, you can put the car in DTC mode and spin both wheels to get moving in really slippery conditions (just remember you've got to stop the vehicle in the same slippery conditions).

The Dynamic Handling Package is a marketing ploy. It used to be called the Track Handling Package which probably limited its' sales. Give it another name and people gobble it up (plus you get the pretty red or blue calipers). Unless you plan on taking your car to the track I can't see how you would ever need the beefier brakes and the LSD. Now, on the other hand the Adaptive M Suspension might make sense (I hope so as I ordered it on my car!). Besides only costing $700 instead of $2,450 it is something that one should be able to feel with every foot of road traveled - soft cushy ride on the interstates and tight, firm suspension when carving mountain roads.

Anyway, my two cents worth. You will absolutely get opposing opinions on this forum. But really, is your wife going to track the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 12:25 PM   #41
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
I agree with you on the six-cylinder vs. four-cylinder engine not being worth $10,000 especially for a daily driver. The 30i's 0-60 is listed at 5.2 seconds which is really fast. Back in the day anything with 0-60 less than seven seconds was considered fast. The M40i's 0-60 is sub-four seconds. That's stupid fast - as in stupid tickets, stupid maintenance and stupid accidents. I can see why people get it!

Now why on earth would you want a LSD for a daily driver. On wet roads it's going to fishtail as the torque gets sent to one wheel after the other as each loses traction. BMW's DSC will handle any slippage on your daily driver with aplomb (cool word). If a specific wheel loses
traction the car will apply the brake on that wheel increasing the amount of torque to the other wheel allowing you to get moving in slippery conditions. If that is not enough traction, you can put the car in DTC mode and spin both wheels to get moving in really slippery conditions (just remember you've got to stop the vehicle in the same slippery conditions).

The Dynamic Handling Package is a marketing ploy. It used to be called the Track Handling Package which probably limited its' sales. Give it another name and people gobble it up (plus you get the pretty red or blue calipers). Unless you plan on taking your car to the track I can't see how you would ever need the beefier brakes and the LSD. Now, on the other hand the Adaptive M Suspension might make sense (I hope so as I ordered it on my car!). Besides only costing $700 instead of $2,450 it is something that one should be able to feel with every foot of road traveled - soft cushy ride on the interstates and tight, firm suspension when carving mountain roads.

Anyway, my two cents worth. You will absolutely get opposing opinions on this forum. But really, is your wife going to track the car?
Thank you for the clarification!

I searched LSD and people said it helps with grip in slippery conditions.

Good point about the normal traction control - that will reduce the cost and no, she will never go to a track.

If it were me, I would get the M40i but it's not my car..my daily driver X3MC has 503 HP - not too much, just enough!

Edited to add - I skipped the LSD on my Dodge Durango (over a decade ago). I was at a parking garage on a slope in the rain and could not back up as the garage door was not opening. Basically one rear wheel was spinning and at the time you could not just engage 4WD.

In order to get out I had to lurch forward and gun it in reverse.

I assume the new Z4 would not have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #42
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:

I assume the new Z4 would not have the same issue.
The Z4 has the capability to be put into DTC mode by pressing the DSC button once. Incidentally, that is one of the steps to allow for Launch Control starts. Without putting the car into DTC, the DSC system would brake the spinning wheel and that is really the last thing you want to happen if you can't get enough traction to get the vehicle moving. For a Launch Control start it is expected that you flooring the throttle will break the wheels loose a bit (something I'm sure you're aware of with 500+ HP on tap) and again for a quick 0-60 time you definitely don't want the nanny systems to apply brake and moderate the throttle. For your wife, tell her never to touch the DSC button and feel confident that the system will safe her ass if she gets the car a little loose (staying within the laws of physics - BMW disclaimer ).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 02:48 PM   #43
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
The Z4 has the capability to be put into DTC mode by pressing the DSC button once. Incidentally, that is one of the steps to allow for Launch Control starts. Without putting the car into DTC, the DSC system would brake the spinning wheel and that is really the last thing you want to happen if you can't get enough traction to get the vehicle moving. For a Launch Control start it is expected that you flooring the throttle will break the wheels loose a bit (something I'm sure you're aware of with 500+ HP on tap) and again for a quick 0-60 time you definitely don't want the nanny systems to apply brake and moderate the throttle. For your wife, tell her never to touch the DSC button and feel confident that the system will safe her ass if she gets the car a little loose (staying within the laws of physics - BMW disclaimer ).
To clarify, not my wife lol.

Yes, I'm aware of the system but I did not want to assume a 2WD Z4 would be the same as my AWD X3MC (and I'm not sure it is).

I only once took off the DSC button on mine which was recently when I was doing doughnuts in a school parking lot during the last snow storm - fun times

This reminds me of another experience I had (also over a decade or three ago) in my boss's 7 series. I was driving it in the snow and pulling out of a parking lot. The wheels could not get traction so it would not move.

After some thinking, I had to turn off the DCS, spin the tires to kick out the back end, resumed DCS once I did a 180 out of the parking lot and got onto the road (not bad for a kid in his late teens!).

I guess that's the scenario which lead me to the LSD - rear tire cannot get traction.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:06 PM   #44
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
2) Does Apple CarPlay come standard or do you need to get the wireless charger?

Apple Car Play is standard and wireless - no cable required.
Appreciate 0