BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020-202x Corvette Stingray

09-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #881
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
I find it interesting that some folks around here think that the C8 will never be a used car and will never depreciate.

In 3 years auto trader will be littered with these thing for around $30,000, just like it is with C7s

The C8 will absolutely put a new level of performance in the hands of people who have never had it before. Handling in a mid-engine car is a bit more tricky at the limit, the limits are very high, so you have to be doing something very stupid to get there, but once you are there things can go very wrong very fast.
I think we are talking about a brand new C8. Being used, you can buy any car given it's fallen within your price range, not just Corvette.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #882
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
I think we are talking about a brand new C8. Being used, you can buy any car given it's fallen within your price range, not just Corvette.
Obviously we are talking about a new first year car. The point is that this is going to be a new level of performance at this price point, and its going to be a mass produced car that has a history of depreciating and being affordable for 'regular' folks to own, drive and maintain.

Even at msrp, nothing will be able to touch it on paper, but that is also true of previous generations Corvettes.

While I don't think the C8 is going to 'kill' 911 sales, everybody is going to have to up their game. Not unlike the original NSX, it set the new benchmark. The NSX showed that sports/super cars didn't have to be unreliable, uncomfortable, and unusable as a DD.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #883
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Obviously we are talking about a new first year car. The point is that this is going to be a new level of performance at this price point, and its going to be a mass produced car that has a history of depreciating and being affordable for 'regular' folks to own, drive and maintain.
OK, people were talking about not able to afford a $70K brand new C8 for most folks, and then you were saying about buying a used C8 a few years down the road. So you were saying something completely different.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #884
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

How are there no video reviews out yet?
      09-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #885
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
There are video reviews of cars making the circuit of car shows, race tracks and dealers but no driving ‘reviews’ yet. The reason being, not one has even been sold yet and no one outside GM insiders has had seat time in one. They should start showing up on dealer lots in a couple months.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      09-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #886
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Like most cars, there is embargo date set for reviews. MotorTrend has tested the new C8.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
JTO245246.50
      09-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #887
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Media embargo.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
Viffermike1753.00
      09-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #888
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Chevrolet Says The New C8 Corvette Convertible Will Arrive In October

Quote:
Chevrolet has disclosed that the C8 Corvette Stingray Convertible will be unveiled next month.

Even before the new mid-engined Corvette was unveiled, we knew a Convertible was in the works, and at the C8’s global unveiling, Chevrolet even dropped a few images of the car. While talking about it at the National Corvette Museum’s 25th Anniversary Celebration event last weekend, Corvette Assembly Plant Manager Kai Spande provided us with a solid timeframe as to when the car will debut.

“I don’t think that detail [the exact date] has been out there,” he started in response to an audience question. “At the reveal, there was, 1-second here and 1-second there [showing the Convertible] but what we have said is that in the October timeframe there will be the reveal of the Convertible so that’s coming.”

A handful of Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible prototypes have been spied testing since the coupe’s unveiling in the middle of July. Images of the car have revealed that it will sport two buttresses directly behind the passenger cell, and while we don’t yet know exactly how the roof’s stowing mechanism will work, we do know that it will be a folding hardtop.

Powering the droptop C8 will be the same naturally aspirated, 6.2-liter V8 as the Coupe, with 490 HP in base trim and 495 HP with the Z51 Performance Package and exhaust. A recent document revealed that the Convertible will weight just 102 lbs (46 kg) more than the Coupe.
https://www.carscoops.com/2019/09/ch...ve-in-october/

Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      09-24-2019, 05:55 AM   #889
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
...my speculation is, with the 200+ lbs weight gain, it's going to struggle matching or beating C7 numbers...
My speculation is the C8 will beat and exceed the C7 in the most important "number"... SALES. 💡
      09-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #890
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

C7 Z51 has a 0-60 of 3.6- 3.7 seconds. The new car with do 3.0 or under according to GM and I have no reason to doubt them based on prior performance Corvette release info. That’s better then a half second right off the bat and equals many tests of the mighty C7 ZR1 time to 60! A car which has much more power then the C7 and even the C8!
Anyone who holds on to the belief that this new Corvette won’t soundly beat the the C7 in performance numbers is not be honest with themselves and holding onto a dream that’s going to turn into a nightmare for those who dig in their heels when the real world data comes out.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 2
Red Bread4462.00
swanson733.00
      09-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #891
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
My speculation is the C8 will beat and exceed the C7 in the most important "number"... SALES. 💡
That remains to be seen in this hyper tilted market, where SUVs and trucks are now far outpacing sedan and sports car sales. And we haven't even hit peak SUV/Truck yet, while overall automotive sales are already trending DOWN.

IMO the hype is there, but the number of available BUYERS aren't. From a marketing perspective...There really isn't going to be significant market to be found here. Unless Sports Car sales are coming back, it's hard to convince someone in need of a new car to spend it on a $60K Corvette rather than a $60K cross-over.

And in the event of a likely recession, well...It's going to be doubly as hard to convince someone to spend on a frivolous purchase.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #892
WestRace
Major
Rep

Been hearing from a lot of people about the premature wear and tear of the seat leather. These cars are for show so they probably got a lot of people sitting in, but still it is a concern.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #893
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That remains to be seen in this hyper tilted market, where SUVs and trucks are now far outpacing sedan and sports car sales. And we haven't even hit peak SUV/Truck yet, while overall automotive sales are already trending DOWN.

IMO the hype is there, but the number of available BUYERS aren't. From a marketing perspective...There really isn't going to be significant market to be found here. Unless Sports Car sales are coming back, it's hard to convince someone in need of a new car to spend it on a $60K Corvette rather than a $60K cross-over.

And in the event of a likely recession, well...It's going to be doubly as hard to convince someone to spend on a frivolous purchase.
Was it a frivolous purchase when you bought yours? It certainly wasn’t for me and many Corvette owners I know. You’ve just taken the position of full outright denial I’m afraid. The Bowling Green assembly line added another full time shift to crank out C8’s and still the numbers don’t lie. People are scrambling to get the new car, I’ve seen it myself in two local Chevrolet dealers. This Vette is a game changer and C7 sales slowed to a trickle because everyone wants the new mid Vette, even some die hard BMW owners right on this site.
Likely recession? Now you’re really scratching and digging.
I’m pretty sure you’re going to be eating a lot of crow come next year.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...eady-sold-out/
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #894
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

The biggest concern there is white seats. Lol...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #895
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

From the pics posted it looks like plain old dirt to me. I don’t see any wear and tear in these pics. Should be expected with so many climbing in and out of these models, many of them likely still wearing their grungy work clothes. Each car probably had hundreds at least trying them on for size. White interior was certainly a bad choice and likely someone got reprimanded already for these come one and all to sit in the new C8 displays.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #896
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Was it a frivolous purchase when you bought yours? It certainly wasn’t for me and many Corvette owners I know. You’ve just taken the position of full outright denial I’m afraid. The Bowling Green assembly line added another full time shift to crank out C8’s and still the numbers don’t lie. People are scrambling to get the new car, I’ve seen it myself in two local Chevrolet dealers. This Vette is a game changer and C7 sales slowed to a trickle because everyone wants the new mid Vette, even some die hard BMW owners right on this site.
Likely recession? Now you’re really scratching and digging.
I’m pretty sure you’re going to be eating a lot of crow come next year.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...eady-sold-out/
First year or two of Corvette sales has almost ALWAYS outpaced prior generations.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...olet-corvette/

Look at 2013 and 2014. Last year of C6 sales vs. first year of C7 sales. Same sales figure also shows what the effect of a recession can do to Corvette sales. Look at the numbers from 2008 to 2012 during the height of the recession. Sales figures went from a respectable 26,xxx units to half that for the next 4 years, 3 years after a VERY popular and ground breaking C6 was introduced.

Numbers don't lie. The interpretation of said numbers do.

As for whether or not my C7 purchase was frivolous? Yes it was. I had a very unique 2 seat sports car in the garage (MZ4 Coupe), between 2 driving adults (myself and my wife) we had 3 cars in the garage at the time (A gasoline ICE, diesel ICE, and a pure plug-in EV). I drive a total of about 4,000 miles a year due to the flexibility to work remote, and mostly in the i3, and in a small family (we have 1 child), the prudent purchase, should we add a 4th vehicle in the family, should have been a nice 4wd or AWD cross-over for the winter trips to the mountains. Had the economy been in the dumps like it was in 2008? The prudent choice would have been for a 4 door sedan or small cross over (which we did, bought a Hyundai Tucson in 2008 and got rid of two BMW to do so). Had I not purchased the C7 last year, my decision would still hinge heavily upon what the economy looks like in the next 6-12 months on whether or not I'd pull the trigger on adding a second stable mate to the MZ4 Coupe. And that justification would be nearly impossible IF we're in any shape or form that the purchase isn't going to just entertain my obsessive need to go fast on a track.

By the way, 2018 sales figures of 18,791 is based on the fact that the factory was shut down for 3 months and is an outlier. Reports of C7 sales having trickled to a near stop is but speculation, as multiple national Chevy dealership has reported the lowest inventory levels on the C7 since their introduction, and that popular colors and option packages are basically sold out nearly 6 months before the first C8 were to be delivered. I suspect 2019 sales would be closer to the 2016 level than the 2018 level when it's all said and done, even though C7 production basically have STOPPED.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #897
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

So what you're saying is, I may be able to pick up a new, leftover C7 next year for CHEAP?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:10 PM   #898
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
So what you're saying is, I may be able to pick up a new, leftover C7 next year for CHEAP?
You certainly can and you don’t have wait! There are thousands of C7’s piling up at dealers just waiting to be adopted by new owners with very generous discounts. Chevy dealer inventory lists don’t lie.
https://kerbeck.com/corvette_inventory/
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #899
WestRace
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
lols I was told that a few years back. There will always be something better next year. I would bet two years from now, those putting down deposits for the C8 today will say "I should have waited" for the Z06 ... or something else.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #900
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
You certainly can and you don’t have wait! There are thousands of C7’s piling up at dealers just waiting to be adopted by new owners with very generous discounts. Chevy dealer inventory lists don’t lie.
https://kerbeck.com/corvette_inventory/
Unfortunately I won't be able to make a move until probably May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
lols I was told that a few years back. There will always be something better next year. I would bet two years from now, those putting down deposits for the C8 today will say "I should have waited" for the Z06 ... or something else.
Of course there will always be the new shiny toy.

A C7 Z51 or GS, is more than enough performance for a DD and occasional track/AutoX car.
Appreciate 2
N54Yankee2706.00
Rmtt8206.00
      09-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #901
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It sure is at that. You’ll be miles of smiles if you get one.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #902
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i RWD

Quote:

A local salesperson told me they have pretty much booked all of their 2020 C8 allocations and are moving on to 2021 models, with delivery of late 2020.
Appreciate 0