BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Digital Key

11-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Digital Key

Have a Samsung Galaxy S7, Android version 8.0.0, with Sprint as service provider. Have a registered digital key, but when trying to install on my phone using the Connected Drive app, it errors out. Anyone else have this issue and found a solution. Have not been able to get anywhere with BMW Genius. They would update me once a week letting me know they were addressing and had escalated the issue. But now have not heard back from them for over a month and half, guess they gave up.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
Kpoggi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMWz4

Ok. I’m new to all this tech stuff. Can someone please explain to me why I need the key card
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpoggi View Post
Ok. I’m new to all this tech stuff. Can someone please explain to me why I need the key card
In addition to your remote key, you have two other sources available for operating your vehicle. First is the "card key," a credit card device you can carry in your wallet to unlock, start, and lock your car should you misplace your remote or suddenly learn that the battery has died in your remote key. The second is the "digital key," which is a feature included the BMW Connected phone app that allows you to use your phone to unlock, start, and lock your car. You can also allow others to install the digital key on their respective smart phones so that they may operate your car without having to have access to your remote key.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 05:35 PM   #4
PrionFawkes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i (2020)

You have to go into a BMW dealer to complete the setup. It even describes that step in the App when setting up the digital key on your phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrionFawkes View Post
You have to go into a BMW dealer to complete the setup. It even describes that step in the App when setting up the digital key on your phone.
My dealer did register a digital key for me and the first step was successfully completed on my phone showing that a key has been registered. When executing the second step to install the key it fails with an "installation error" message. Have tried with and without phone on Wi-Fi charging pad and get same error. BMW Genius, Dealer, and Connected Drive Customer Service have been no help. Are you using the digital key, what am I missing? What phone are you using and who is your service provider?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep

After working with my Dealer, going back and forth with BMW Genius & Connected Drive Customer Support for the past 3 1/2 months, finally got an answer from BMW Genius that the digital key feature is currently restricted by Sprint.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #7
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrowJon View Post
After working with my Dealer, going back and forth with BMW Genius & Connected Drive Customer Support for the past 3 1/2 months, finally got an answer from BMW Genius that the digital key feature is currently restricted by Sprint.
Now I'm told that the digital key in not restricted by Sprint, but registered key will still not ibstall on my phone. Is anyone using the digital key?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Who are Sprint?
      11-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #9
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Who are Sprint?
His mobile network (I'll refrain from a sarcastic smiley).

Oh what the heck...

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Who are Sprint?
His mobile network (I'll refrain from a sarcastic smiley).

Oh what the heck...

Humble apologies missed it. I'm surprised that can be restricted by a carrier though.
      11-24-2019, 02:09 PM   #11
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Now I'm told that the digital key in not restricted by Sprint, but registered key will still not ibstall on my phone. Is anyone using the digital key?
I assume you've read this document? Doubt there's anything you don't already know but thought I'd share.

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...DigitalKey.pdf

I haven't heard of Sprint being an issue. Not sure this will help, but have you tried doing a backup of your data (Samsung Smart Switch), then factory default your phone and start over? Believe me, that often helps especially with Android 8 and older.
      11-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #12
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I assume you've read this document? Doubt there's anything you don't already know but thought I'd share.

I haven't heard of Sprint being an issue. Not sure this will help, but have you tried doing a backup of your data (Samsung Smart Switch), then factory default your phone and start over? Believe me, that often helps especially with Android 8 and older.
Thank you - Latest is that Sprint manages their connect service by model and year, where rhe Z4 is currently only authorized through 2018. Believe I finally have BMW Genius and Sprint now working together, BMW Genius will keeo me updated. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 06:58 PM   #13
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post

Thank you - Latest is that Sprint manages their connect service by model and year, where rhe Z4 is currently only authorized through 2018. Believe I finally have BMW Genius and Sprint now working together, BMW Genius will keeo me updated. We'll see.
But no MY18 BMW product supported digital key. Digital key is part of iDrive 7 in some models and I believe that all began with MY19 X5.

Crazy how BMW doesn't have a team testing phones (considering only a handful of phones are compatible) with US carriers. S7-S10, a couple Note models and maybe an odd A series Samsung phone along the way. 4 major nationwide US carriers.... Not terribly difficult to cover 95% of customers with some simple testing.
      06-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #14
Freebeeman
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

I picked up my Z4 (04-2019) last week, saw all the fine Gizmo's.
Set up the digital key for my Samsung S9 and after it has been registered by my dealer it worked fine.
I able to open/lock my car and start by only using my phone.

Could be come in handy in the future, so it is able to get it to work.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:04 PM   #15
BarrowJon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebeeman View Post
I picked up my Z4 (04-2019) last week, saw all the fine Gizmo's.
Set up the digital key for my Samsung S9 and after it has been registered by my dealer it worked fine.
I able to open/lock my car and start by only using my phone.

Could be come in handy in the future, so it is able to get it to work.
Who is your service provider? I have Sprint and unsuccessful in initiating, working with BMW Genius and Sprint over the past 8 months.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #16
Freebeeman
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

Quote:
Who is your service provider? I have Sprint and unsuccessful in initiating, working with BMW Genius and Sprint over the past 8 months.
I have Vodafone as provider but I don't believe that this would be an issue as your mobile phone is contacting to a server in Berlin (Europe customers)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #17
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 Acura NSX, '20 BMW Z4M40i

apple just announced finally they are opening phone up for digital keys (announced today). dont know the details yet but supposedly coming to new 5 series first so hopefully our app and phone will make this possible for us shortly in the US....
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 01:52 PM   #18
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 Acura NSX, '20 BMW Z4M40i

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/2...hone-wwdc-2020
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 06:50 PM   #19
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedbay View Post
apple just announced finally they are opening phone up for digital keys (announced today). dont know the details yet but supposedly coming to new 5 series first so hopefully our app and phone will make this possible for us shortly in the US....
Only for cars manufactured after July 2020. Maybe a way to code it on previous iDrive 7 cars?
      06-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #20
Freezy94027
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Mini Cooper SE

Hmmmm....

This shows Z4 compatibility:
https://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.do?id=3606&mid=

This has the Z4 absent:
https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/bm...ml?bmw=#pwjt-2

I hope the second link is wrong...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #21
Romer
BMW and Toyota Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 sDrive30i

I set up my phone and the key card by myself. Not sure why you had to go to the dealer
      06-22-2020, 07:35 PM   #22
Freezy94027
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Mini Cooper SE

From BMW's Digital Key: iPhone as BMW car key.

What do I need for the BMW Digital Key?

The Comfort Access option (SA 322), Connected Drive Services (SA 6AE), a compatible iPhone and your BMW must be linked to your BMW ID (via the MyBMW app). The list of compatible iPhones and operating system versions may vary for different car models and software. You can view the list on the BMW website. You only need an internet connection to set up the digital key. Once it has been set up, no active internet connection is required in order to unlock the driver’s door and start the engine. After you’ve opened the door, you must place your iPhone in the smartphone holder to start the car.
Appreciate 0