BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board So if you had $50K to invest, where would you put it?

04-03-2020, 10:02 AM   #287
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Yeah, it's really a personal pref. question, plus depends on security. One possible strategy is to sell enough to recoup you initial investment - like ~75% in your case, and keep the rest long term.
Appreciate 1
Nuckle2186.00
      04-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #288
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

I am at 40% profit on USO now. Having a tough time deciding when to jump off the train hahahaha.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #289
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW e36 325i  [7.91]
2006 BMW e90 330i  [8.34]
I had over 75% gain on BA earlier this week, I bought it sometime last week or two weeks ago. I didn't sell any because of how much of the tax I'd have to pay. However, I think it'd be more than that if I kept it for at least a year, making a quick buck isn't what I am looking for right now unless I had other investments insight.

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:55 PM   #290
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermack View Post
I had over 75% gain on BA earlier this week, I bought it sometime last week or two weeks ago. I didn't sell any because of how much of the tax I'd have to pay. However, I think it'd be more than that if I kept it for at least a year, making a quick buck isn't what I am looking for right now unless I had other investments insight.
I am a noob so excuse my questions. BA is Boeing right? I lost $500 on BA (Boeing) over the past five days and sold it off. I do not see any gains for BA over the past week. What am I missing? Just trying to learn.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 12:37 AM   #291
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Serious question.

Comparing VZ to something like SWPPX (Schwab Index Fund for S&P), wouldn't I make out better in SWPPX? Or no? Compared it from 2003 until now.
That's a loaded question. With VZ the likely return is greater than SWPPX, but so is the risk. If you're willing to take the greater risk, by all means go with VZ.

I'm only buying ETFs for now, not willing to take the greater risk with individual stocks with such volatility in the market.

I did buy BA at $90, couldn't pass that up.
You'll be able to get BA for under that soon...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 12:43 AM   #292
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
Quote:
I am a noob so excuse my questions. BA is Boeing right? I lost $500 on BA (Boeing) over the past five days and sold it off. I do not see any gains for BA over the past week. What am I missing? Just trying to learn.
Sorry for coming off in a negative way, but did you really just buy a stock using a ticker symbol 'BA' without even knowing what you bought? Clearly it says Boeing all over when you put BA.

Anyways, stock prices went down, you lost money. If it goes up you make money. Not that hard of a concept. You never 'truly' gain or lose until you sell. Should've just held it, BA is not a short term stock to play right now, too risky.

EDIT: you probably just used Boeing on the search to purchase. BA is the ticker symbol for the company to identify it in the stock market.
Appreciate 1
tigermack466.00
      04-04-2020, 12:47 AM   #293
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry for coming off in a negative way, but did you really just buy a stock using a ticker symbol 'BA' without even knowing what you bought? Clearly it says Boeing all over when you put BA.

Anyways, stock prices went down, you lost money. If it goes up you make money. Not that hard of a concept. You never 'truly' gain or lose until you sell. Should've just held it, BA is not a short term stock to play right now, too risky.
I don't really care how you come off. My skin is thick. I am perfectly aware that Boeing is BA in the market and I even posted a screenshot of it. Please show me the gains suggested over the past 5 days, or weeks that are high percentage gains. I am trying to understand how someone made money on BA. I am a big boy and my losses are my losses.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 12:51 AM   #294
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't really care how you come off. My skin is thick. I am perfectly aware that Boeing is BA in the market. Please show me the gains suggested over the past 5 days, or weeks that are high percentage gains. I am trying to understand how someone made money on BA. I am a big boy and my losses are my losses.
If you bought it a couple weeks ago, it dipped down into the 90s. Today it's trading around 120ish, so a gain for 30 dollars a share.

If you bought 10 BA shares at 90, you paid 900.
Today those 10 shares are worth 120, so 1200.
You'd make 300 IF you sold.

If you don't sell and it hits 80 on Monday, it's now it's worth 800, once again IF YOU SELL. Get it so far? So buy and hold, and sell when you desire.

Hope this helps?

Some ppl could've bought at 90s and sold a couple days ago around 180 after doubling their money. Just timing.
Appreciate 3
Nuckle2186.00
Rmtt8206.00
tigermack466.00
      04-04-2020, 12:53 AM   #295
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Good to see that Vegas shutting down hasn’t prevented anyone here from gambling
Appreciate 4
      04-04-2020, 01:18 AM   #296
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Good to see that Vegas shutting down hasn’t prevented anyone here from gambling
Lol... the only legal way for anyone, ANYWHERE in the US to gamble
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 07:50 AM   #297
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
If you bought it a couple weeks ago, it dipped down into the 90s. Today it's trading around 120ish, so a gain for 30 dollars a share.

If you don't sell and it hits 80 on Monday, it's now it's worth 800, once again IF YOU SELL. Get it so far? So buy and hold, and sell when you desire.

Hope this helps?

Some ppl could've bought at 90s and sold a couple days ago around 180 after doubling their money. Just timing.
Yeah...my boss bought a huge amount around $95....then sold around $165. I mentioned it a few weeks back as a potential buy.

But he bought and I didn't. But he also has a lot more money to put into it than I would. I was looking at maybe 100 shares. He bought a lot more than that.

Oh well.....nothing I can do now.

One I will be watching is Park Hotels as one to hold. It's selling around $7.00 last I looked....and could potentially go back into the $30 range once things pan out. But it would take awhile.

But it's also a price that most people can get into if looking to get their feet wet with individual stocks without putting too much money into it.

Also remember if you get in and out, you will negate a fair amount of it with taxes. Another reason to hold it longer.

Otherwise....Vanguard ETF's are the safest bets I see for someone who plans to hold for extended periods.

Just make sure it's money you can spare, buy it, and forget about it.
      04-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #298
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Well I sold USO for 30% gain in 7 days. Not proud of it, like I told my wife that was a dumb move and was sheer luck. Back to the right way next week!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #299
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps?

Yeah...my boss bought a huge amount around $95....then sold around $165. I mentioned it a few weeks back as a potential buy.

But he bought and I didn't. But he also has a lot more money to put into it than I would. I was looking at maybe 100 shares. He bought a lot more than that.

One I will be watching is Park Hotels as one to hold. It's selling around $7.00 last I looked....and could potentially go back into the $30 range once things pan out. But it would take awhile.

But it's also a price that most people can get into if looking to get their feet wet with individual stocks without putting too much money into it.

Also remember if you get in and out, you will negate a fair amount of it with taxes. Another reason to hold it longer.

Otherwise....Vanguard ETF's are the safest bets I see for someone who plans to hold for extended periods.

Think of it in a positive way that even 100 shares of Boeing is something many others wouldn't be able to do. Can't always look at others and put yourself down. 9k is still a lot of money too.

Anyways, if you like hotel stocks look at MGM, LVS (Las Vegas Sands) and EXPE (Expedia), they all have potential to move back up in the long term since they are all heavily affected right now since no one can travel ofcourse.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
tigermack466.00
      04-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #300
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:

How are you guys getting in at the bottom and selling at the top?
      04-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #301
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

https://apple.news/Ahy0JtWQwSx6ixW1QsxYPwg

nothing shady to see here folks lol
      04-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #302
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps?

Think of it in a positive way that even 100 shares of Boeing is something many others wouldn't be able to do. Can't always look at others and put yourself down. 9k is still a lot of money too.

Anyways, if you like hotel stocks look at MGM, LVS (Las Vegas Sands) and EXPE (Expedia), they all have potential to move back up in the long term since they are all heavily affected right now since no one can travel ofcourse.
Put them all on my watch list.

Still sitting on USO at 40%.

DocuSign is kicking my butt but I am going to hold it longer term.

My BA purchase was my very first stock purchase and I should have either stayed away or kept it for the long haul.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      04-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #303
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Nothing special. My boss has people who look out for his stuff....and I pick his brain when we talk.

I never looked at anything to buy and sell....just buy and hold.

But he told me to watch Boeing 3-4 weeks ago. I watched it everyday as it stayed at around $100.

If I knew that it would go up the way it did, I would have bought it then. But it jumped almost $70 a share in about 2 days time.

I should have listened more closely to him. He made a pretty good bit.....but I was too conservative to act on it.

Now I just look at specific ones that are down huge amounts, look at what they averaged before all this happened....and make decisions that way.

But as I mentioned before.....I'm OCD about keeping cash available. So I miss out on things that for others is a no-brainer. That's what I'm trying to work on.
      04-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #304
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nothing special. My boss has people who look out for his stuff....and I pick his brain when we talk.

I never looked at anything to buy and sell....just buy and hold.

But he told me to watch Boeing 3-4 weeks ago. I watched it everyday as it stayed at around $100.

If I knew that it would go up the way it did, I would have bought it then. But it jumped almost $70 a share in about 2 days time.

I should have listened more closely to him. He made a pretty good bit.....but I was too conservative to act on it.

Now I just look at specific ones that are down huge amounts, look at what they averaged before all this happened....and make decisions that way.

But as I mentioned before.....I'm OCD about keeping cash available. So I miss out on things that for others is a no-brainer. That's what I'm trying to work on.
I have a feeling you'll be able to get Boeing for under 100 soon. Don't worry, you'll have another chance at it.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #305
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Put them all on my watch list.

Still sitting on USO at 40%.

DocuSign is kicking my butt but I am going to hold it longer term.

My BA purchase was my very first stock purchase and I should have either stayed away or kept it for the long haul.
USO is going to most likely tank Monday. Not going well with the Saudis and Russians and talks took a bad turn today. Glad I got out. I may get back in if it drops low enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #306
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post

I'm no expert, but wasn't this the fundamental cause of the 2007-08' financial crisis, derivatives and deregulation?
Appreciate 1
ASAP10054.00
      04-04-2020, 06:46 PM   #307
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post

I'm no expert, but wasn't this the fundamental cause of the 2007-08' financial crisis, derivatives and deregulation?
yep... banks are doing shady stuff again... keep under the fdic limit or split your deposits between banks... who knows what really going on
      04-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #308
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sheer luck.
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
Littlebear3508.50