BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board I'm Cursed!

04-04-2020, 10:01 PM   #1
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

I'm Cursed!

It's so tragic it's funny. My M2 got rear ended on the freeway a few weeks back. Dropped it off at the body shop yesterday and picked up my shitty Chevy Impala rental car. In an effort to cheer me up, a buddy convinced me to go for a motorcycle ride with him today. 50 miles from my house in the middle of no-where, my bike shit the bed. Just shut off. Massive electrical problem. $400 tow home. Got home and the wife wanted to go tot he park to run our dogs around so we jumped in the van and headed out. A mile from the house the front right brake caliper froze. Managed to limp it home after it cooled off so at least I didnt need a tow. So I'm now down 3 vehicles in 2 days!
Appreciate 4
      04-04-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

But you don't have covid so stay home!
Appreciate 4
vreihen1614882.00
DETRoadster11446.00
euro*1654.00
      04-04-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Well...at least you have the impala. But it does seem like someone/something is trying to get you to stay home.
Appreciate 5
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1614882.00
DETRoadster11446.00
P111541.50
Hawkeye2069.50
      04-04-2020, 10:12 PM   #4
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
It's so tragic it's funny. My M2 got rear ended on the freeway a few weeks back. Dropped it off at the body shop yesterday and picked up my shitty Chevy Impala rental car. In an effort to cheer me up, a buddy convinced me to go for a motorcycle ride with him today. 50 miles from my house in the middle of no-where, my bike shit the bed. Just shut off. Massive electrical problem. $400 tow home. Got home and the wife wanted to go tot he park to run our dogs around so we jumped in the van and headed out. A mile from the house the front right brake caliper froze. Managed to limp it home after it cooled off so at least I didnt need a tow. So I'm now down 3 vehicles in 2 days!
Hopefully good luck is coming your way!
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      04-04-2020, 10:32 PM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Ha. Definitely seems that you're being pushed to stay home.

But I feel ya on your bike. My Duc has been down since August due to some fool backing into it and knocking it over when it was parked. Been fighting with the offender's insurance since then and finally set things in motion at the shop to get it fixed. A part was back ordered and then this virus hit. I'd be surprised if I get it back before the end of summer at this rate.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      04-04-2020, 11:01 PM   #6
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Exactly why I'm not riding outside these days. I know my luck is so bad that I'll have some bizarre crash that puts me into the hospital right when I don't want to be in the hospital.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
DETRoadster11446.00
      04-04-2020, 11:04 PM   #7
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I’ll help the team!

I went for around town yesterday to self isolate a bit and had absolutely no issues!

Bike ran like a dream and put a huge smile on my face.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
DETRoadster11446.00
      04-05-2020, 01:29 AM   #8
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

not curse but maybe a sign staying home..
      04-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #9
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
bruh get towing option on your car insurance, it's only a few bucks a month and towing distance is unlimited. I used to own a E92 which turned out to be lemon, towed it like 7 times in less then 2 years on my insurance which cost me like 30$
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 10:01 AM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer pleaser V2 View Post
bruh get towing option on your car insurance, it's only a few bucks a month and towing distance is unlimited. I used to own a E92 which turned out to be lemon, towed it like 7 times in less then 2 years on my insurance which cost me like 30$
If you have State Farm, your SOL. State Farm does not have tow coverage as an option for their motorcycle policies. The best State Farm will do is to tie you in to their network of approved tow companies so you can get a preferred tow rate. How do I know? I had this situation years ago with my Duc when my rear tire got punctured.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #11
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
If you have State Farm, your SOL. State Farm does not have tow coverage as an option for their motorcycle policies. The best State Farm will do is to tie you in to their network of approved tow companies so you can get a preferred tow rate. How do I know? I had this situation years ago with my Duc when my rear tire got punctured.
Have you considered getting AAA?
      04-05-2020, 10:44 AM   #12
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I haven't shopped around. That one annoyance with me being stranded on the road was the first time I had that situation. I've been with State Farm since 1999. They've been pretty decent with me. I don't know if going to AAA or any other insurance company would be worth the potential cost increase. Even though I'm in the older demographic (although recently divorced), I don't know if that will be enough to offset the viewed increased liability inherent with my bikes. I have two sport bikes. I only carry full coverage on the Duc while my ZX-10R only has liability because of its age (2004). Insuring my Duc is only $400 a year with $250/500k liability coverage limits.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #13
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Quote:
I haven't shopped around. That one annoyance with me being stranded on the road was the first time I had that situation. I've been with State Farm since 1999. They've been pretty decent with me. I don't know if going to AAA or any other insurance company would be worth the potential cost increase. Even though I'm in the older demographic (although recently divorced), I don't know if that will be enough to offset the viewed increased liability inherent with my bikes. I have two sport bikes. I only carry full coverage on the Duc while my ZX-10R only has liability because of its age (2004). Insuring my Duc is only $400 a year with $250/500k liability coverage limits.
Dayum!!

400 a year for a Duc!?!?

I was close to 400 a month on my 1199s and 1299s in a densely populated area... but I ve also had 2 stolen bikes and 1 accident at an intersection when I was rear ended, so the underwriters show me no love, lol.

You dealing with a punctured rear tire is one of my worst fears since I travel over long distances frequently on my HP4.

Did you notice the damage to your rear tire while you were on the move or when you were stopped...?
      04-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #14
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer pleaser V2 View Post
Quote:
I have AAA. Thought I was covered. Turns out you need "RV" coverage with AAA to cover motorcycle tows. There's a 5 days waiting period when signing up before you can use. So I was pretty much screwed.

I have Progressive on the bike and their towing service only covers tows to the nearest shop.

Calling USAA on Monday to add tow coverage. No more unnecessary trips out. Lesson learned!
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      04-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Dayum!!

400 a year for a Duc!?!?

I was close to 400 a month on my 1199s and 1299s in a densely populated area... but I ve also had 2 stolen bikes and 1 accident at an intersection when I was rear ended, so the underwriters show me no love, lol.

You dealing with a punctured rear tire is one of my worst fears since I travel over long distances frequently on my HP4.

Did you notice the damage to your rear tire while you were on the move or when you were stopped...?
Yeah. $400 a year. Granted it's a 2009 848. But still. It's a good rate. This is with one totaled bike...my fault that happened back in 2004.

Yeah, the tire thing was an eye opener to immediately pull over when you notice something not right with how your bike is behaving. The first sign was when I was rolling on the throttle, the acceleration was sluggish. I thought there was something wrong with the engine as it was really apparent. I didn't stop though as I was trying to meet up with family. When I got to an intersection to make a right turn, the bike didn't even want to turn. Went way wide. That definitely woke me up that something was seriously wrong. I got to an intersection with a traffic light and got a chance to stop. I looked around my bike. When I looked back at my rear tire, it was completely flat. There was a Royal Farms at the intersection so I pull in to the parking lot to check the tire and see if I could just put air back in. When I inspected the tire, I saw a rather large hole. So I had run over something and it punctured the tire but popped out. Fortunately for me, there was a Ford dealership next to the Royal Farms. I was able to get those guys to plug the hole in the tire to get me on my way. I managed to get to my vacation home in Delaware without issues afterwards.

On the return trip home to my primary residence, I made it to about 20 to 40 miles away and the same thing happened. Sluggish acceleration and the bike not wanting to turn. Pulled off the highway and the plug that was put in also popped out. That's when I had to call State Farm. I was stranded for about 4 hours waiting on a tow company that had a flat bed to come out to me....in 90+ degree temps. Eventually, I was able to get a tow company to come out to just plug and inflate my tire to get me on my way. That repair did hold and I got home.

As to the tire, it was pretty much already trashed back in Delaware. You can see the extreme wear on the tire where it was just laid flat on the pavement. I could only imagine what the inside looked like with the edge of the wheel riding directly on the inner carcass of the tire.

ETA: I now take a portable air pump and a plug kit with me when ever I go on long distance rides.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #16
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Dayum!!

400 a year for a Duc!?!?

Yeah. $400 a year. Granted it's a 2009 848. But still. It's a good rate. This is with one totaled bike...my fault that happened back in 2004.

Yeah, the tire thing was an eye opener to immediately pull over when you notice something not right with how your bike is behaving. The first sign was when I was rolling on the throttle, the acceleration was sluggish. I thought there was something wrong with the engine as it was really apparent. I didn't stop though as I was trying to meet up with family. When I got to an intersection to make a right turn, the bike didn't even want to turn. Went way wide. That definitely woke me up that something was seriously wrong. I got to an intersection with a traffic light and got a chance to stop. I looked around my bike. When I looked back at my rear tire, it was completely flat. There was a Royal Farms at the intersection so I pull in to the parking lot to check the tire and see if I could just put air back in. When I inspected the tire, I saw a rather large hole. So I had run over something and it punctured the tire but popped out. Fortunately for me, there was a Ford dealership next to the Royal Farms. I was able to get those guys to plug the hole in the tire to get me on my way. I managed to get to my vacation home in Delaware without issues afterwards.

On the return trip home to my primary residence, I made it to about 20 to 40 miles away and the same thing happened. Sluggish acceleration and the bike not wanting to turn. Pulled off the highway and the plug that was put in also popped out. That's when I had to call State Farm. I was stranded for about 4 hours waiting on a tow company that had a flat bed to come out to me....in 90+ degree temps. Eventually, I was able to get a tow company to come out to just plug and inflate my tire to get me on my way. That repair did hold and I got home.

As to the tire, it was pretty much already trashed back in Delaware. You can see the extreme wear on the tire where it was just laid flat on the pavement. I could only imagine what the inside looked like with the edge of the wheel riding directly on the inner carcass of the tire.
Glad you made it to your destination safe.

Thanks for the feedback... I would definitely pay attention and pull over if I noticed those behavioral changes on the bike.

Be careful out there, all. Enjoy those toys in good health!
      04-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #17
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

i also got an impala when my first two series was totaled. what a garbage car that was.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      04-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #18
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
i also got an impala when my first two series was totaled. what a garbage car that was.
I hate it so much.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 02:20 AM   #19
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

When I was in high school a mates father had an Impala.

Used to fit about 20 of us in it, half of whom we in the boot.

I thought it was a great car.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:12 AM   #20
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Slightly off topic but I'm seeing pics of Kawasaki's 500 H1b,man to me best looking bike on the planet..60bhp 2 stroke rocket and I want one.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:28 AM   #21
C2YT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i

Electrical gremlins are no fun on Motorcycles. I have a few older Hondas that I ride (71'-75') and I worry that I'll be stranded one of these days.

Shoot, the negative cable broke on my 74' CB750 this week. Was able to tap the connector and start up the bike, turn off the headlight, and drive it home. Sometimes older can be better!
vreihen1614882.00
      04-06-2020, 08:44 AM   #22
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
When I was in high school a mates father had an Impala.

Used to fit about 20 of us in it, half of whom we in the boot.

I thought it was a great car.
BIG difference between the 2018ish Impala they gave me and what I'm guessing you are referring to. It's so bad I'm actually considering calling Enterprise up and switching it out. it smells like cigarette smoke and cologne inside. Outside it's big that when I park in the garage I have to choose between leaving space between the front of the car and my toolbox or the back of the car and the garage door. And by space, I mean about 12 inches to slip past.
Appreciate 0