BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum 48 hours with my 2023 Z4. Initial thoughts (and finally, some pictures)

05-07-2023, 03:06 PM   #1
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
48 hours with my 2023 Z4. Initial thoughts (and finally, some pictures)

It's been about 48 hours since I picked this up, so I had a bunch of time yesterday and today to play around with everything as well as do some driving. Figured I'd post this in case someone was considering this car or has one on order and is just curious what to expect.

I ordered the car on Saturday, January 28th and it arrived at my dealer this past Wednesday, the 3rd, so a little over 3 months for me to get it. The dealer I used had a production slot already and a car in status 112, which is the last status you can modify the build for, so I was able to spec to my liking. Because it was in this status already, probably saved some time in the process.

The dealer I picked it up from is about 30 miles from me, in the Chicago suburbs. I had a few minor hiccups in picking it up. First, as some of you are aware there is a recall for the digital key. As a result, mine did not come with the keycard and it does not give me the option in the MyBMW app to add it to my iPhone. I was told once the recall is completed they will give me a keycard and it will work on my phone. Not sure why that wasn't done when it was at the dealer awaiting me to pick it up, but whatever. I'll get it done sometime this summer or when I switch wheels/tires for the winter.

When I went to leave the dealer to go home I went to put my home address in the car's GPS. The maps on the car would not load. I tried reseting iDrive, but it still wouldn't work. I grabbed my sales person who had to take it back to service and they had to do some sort of reset to get the maps to load. That took about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour. While I was waiting, I searched Bimmerpost and found that this happens on occasion and requires a dealer fix. Once that was fixed, I was ready to go!

Some general thoughts/observations. As an aside, my previous car was a 2021 M340i and before that I had a 2018 Audi A5 coupe.

1). My drive home was mostly highway. This is my first convertible, and I was impressed with how quiet it was with the top up. There is a bit of a blind spot over the drivers left shoulder, but that was able to be alleviated with some messing with the mirrors.

2.) My wife drove me to pick it up, so I rode home alone. One of the first things she asked me was how I felt in the car driving alongside all the big semi trucks and stuff on the highway. I didn't even notice it to be honest. I have had some smaller cars (the previous mentioned A5 as well as some other 2 door cars in my high school/college days) so maybe that had something to do with it, but don't let the size deter you.

3.) My M340i had runflat all-season tires and the non-adaptive suspension. The Z4 rides better (especially in comfort mode) than the M340i. Also, the Z4 exhaust sounds 10x better even though they both have the same engine.

4.) The digital gauge cluster, while looking the same, is smaller than in the M340i. Also one of the features that car had was the ability to warn you of speed/redlight cameras as well as speed bumps. I checked the Connected Drive store, and don't see that as an option for this car. Does anyone know if this is truly the case (both cars had iDrive 7)?

5.) The seats are very comfortable themselves (for reference, I'm 6'4" and about 220 pounds). I had to find a good position where the seatbelt didn't dig into my collar bone, but once I got the seat set right it's been a non-issue.

6.) After having the Hi-Fi sound system (which sucked) in the M340i, I went with the HK in this car. I probably still need to tweak the settings a bit, but it's just ok (especially with the top down). I'm still glad I got it because I'm guessing the Hi-Fi is even worse.

7.) I've cautioned others on the wireless charger, as it was not good in the M340i and would overheat the phone on occasion to the point of it shutting down (I have in iPhone). I ended up ordering it again on this car (mainly because I had everything else), and after 2 days my phone has yet to overheat to the point of shutting off. It still get hot, but seems to be cooler than the last car. Wondering if maybe they made changes to it due to complaints (something I'll keep an eye on).

8.) Silly me forgot to try the adaptive cruise on my drive home. I did not have that previously, but am looking forward to it.

9.) I'm kinda a neat freak, so one thing I have noticed is the car gets dusty quickly after driving with the top down. Could be where I live, but the gloss black interior pieces and the infotainment screen show everything. I cleaned it up yesterday and it was all dusty today after driving for an hour or so. I've got a microfiber cloth in the glovebox and will be wiping it down a lot I think.

Overall, I love the car thus far. Obviously still in the break-in, so haven't really explored the performance side but kinda know what to expect from my previous car. It does fell much more fun and planted in tight turns though (as expected). It's very comfortable for what it is.

Anyway, here's a few pictures of it! Happy to answer questions anyone has.
Attached Images

StanDiego6248.50
gkgeiger856.00
PSQ777184.50
GerryC1616.00
ourlee917.00
alvitdk246.00
Horseman4131.50
ebirotedu1460.00
JustChris17489.00
stlcdr1014.50
Christos188.50
Cliffj335126.00
UNCM2334.50
leeatmg57.00
PJ196042.00
CJ4211559.00
      05-07-2023, 05:56 PM   #2
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

Sweet. I’m either that or a M2

Last edited by ourlee; 05-07-2023 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2023, 06:55 PM   #3
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
Sweet. I’m either that or a M2
Can’t go wrong with either. I’ve always wanted a convertible, but I’ve seen the new M2 and it’s really nice too!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 10:21 PM   #4
DM6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M40i Frozen Gray

That color combo is absolutely stunning. Congrats! SF Red was my second choice.
      05-08-2023, 12:48 AM   #5
Bigmouth Studio
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
It's been about 48 hours since I picked this up, so I had a bunch of time yesterday and today to play around with everything as well as do some driving. Figured I'd post this in case someone was considering this car or has one on order and is just curious what to expect.

I ordered the car on Saturday, January 28th and it arrived at my dealer this past Wednesday, the 3rd, so a little over 3 months for me to get it. The dealer I used had a production slot already and a car in status 112, which is the last status you can modify the build for, so I was able to spec to my liking. Because it was in this status already, probably saved some time in the process.

The dealer I picked it up from is about 30 miles from me, in the Chicago suburbs. I had a few minor hiccups in picking it up. First, as some of you are aware there is a recall for the digital key. As a result, mine did not come with the keycard and it does not give me the option in the MyBMW app to add it to my iPhone. I was told once the recall is completed they will give me a keycard and it will work on my phone. Not sure why that wasn't done when it was at the dealer awaiting me to pick it up, but whatever. I'll get it done sometime this summer or when I switch wheels/tires for the winter.

When I went to leave the dealer to go home I went to put my home address in the car's GPS. The maps on the car would not load. I tried reseting iDrive, but it still wouldn't work. I grabbed my sales person who had to take it back to service and they had to do some sort of reset to get the maps to load. That took about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour. While I was waiting, I searched Bimmerpost and found that this happens on occasion and requires a dealer fix. Once that was fixed, I was ready to go!

Some general thoughts/observations. As an aside, my previous car was a 2021 M340i and before that I had a 2018 Audi A5 coupe.

1). My drive home was mostly highway. This is my first convertible, and I was impressed with how quiet it was with the top up. There is a bit of a blind spot over the drivers left shoulder, but that was able to be alleviated with some messing with the mirrors.

2.) My wife drove me to pick it up, so I rode home alone. One of the first things she asked me was how I felt in the car driving alongside all the big semi trucks and stuff on the highway. I didn't even notice it to be honest. I have had some smaller cars (the previous mentioned A5 as well as some other 2 door cars in my high school/college days) so maybe that had something to do with it, but don't let the size deter you.

3.) My M340i had runflat all-season tires and the non-adaptive suspension. The Z4 rides better (especially in comfort mode) than the M340i. Also, the Z4 exhaust sounds 10x better even though they both have the same engine.

4.) The digital gauge cluster, while looking the same, is smaller than in the M340i. Also one of the features that car had was the ability to warn you of speed/redlight cameras as well as speed bumps. I checked the Connected Drive store, and don't see that as an option for this car. Does anyone know if this is truly the case (both cars had iDrive 7)?

5.) The seats are very comfortable themselves (for reference, I'm 6'4" and about 220 pounds). I had to find a good position where the seatbelt didn't dig into my collar bone, but once I got the seat set right it's been a non-issue.

6.) After having the Hi-Fi sound system (which sucked) in the M340i, I went with the HK in this car. I probably still need to tweak the settings a bit, but it's just ok (especially with the top down). I'm still glad I got it because I'm guessing the Hi-Fi is even worse.

7.) I've cautioned others on the wireless charger, as it was not good in the M340i and would overheat the phone on occasion to the point of it shutting down (I have in iPhone). I ended up ordering it again on this car (mainly because I had everything else), and after 2 days my phone has yet to overheat to the point of shutting off. It still get hot, but seems to be cooler than the last car. Wondering if maybe they made changes to it due to complaints (something I'll keep an eye on).

8.) Silly me forgot to try the adaptive cruise on my drive home. I did not have that previously, but am looking forward to it.

9.) I'm kinda a neat freak, so one thing I have noticed is the car gets dusty quickly after driving with the top down. Could be where I live, but the gloss black interior pieces and the infotainment screen show everything. I cleaned it up yesterday and it was all dusty today after driving for an hour or so. I've got a microfiber cloth in the glovebox and will be wiping it down a lot I think.

Overall, I love the car thus far. Obviously still in the break-in, so haven't really explored the performance side but kinda know what to expect from my previous car. It does fell much more fun and planted in tight turns though (as expected). It's very comfortable for what it is.

Perfect color for Z4! Congratulation to your new Z4. Does your dealer offer the new style 722M wheels?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 12:48 AM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Congratulations on pick up and good to read your thoughts. 👍🏻
      05-08-2023, 05:56 AM   #7
stlcdr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Nice. The dust will always be an issue if you drive top-down. Just take care cleaning the screens, even with a microfiber cloth. There’s dust, and then there’s Dust. If there’s finger prints or spears, clean the dust off first before wiping any smears, which tends to require more pressure.
      05-08-2023, 06:25 AM   #8
TXSAGSBS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i, 2023 Z4 M40i

Quote:

Fantastic color choices; exactly what I would choose if I was getting one. Oh wait......
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2023, 07:04 AM   #9
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmouth Studio View Post
Perfect color for Z4! Congratulation to your new Z4. Does your dealer offer the new style 722M wheels?
I’m not sure on this. I’ll have to look into it when I order the winter wheels/tires in a few months.
      05-08-2023, 09:28 AM   #10
dholaday
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 Z4 M40; 21 X3 M40; R12GS

If you buy both wheels and tires, consider moving to 18". The extra 1/2" sidewall is nice on winter roads/potholes. My 2c.

Duncan
Appreciate 2
IM2C2066.50
      05-08-2023, 09:43 AM   #11
Balr14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday View Post
If you buy both wheels and tires, consider moving to 18". The extra 1/2" sidewall is nice on winter roads/potholes. My 2c.

Duncan
Amen to that! I always try to find wheels an inch or two smaller for winter tires. The only problem is I hate to take them off in spring because they ride so nice!
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2023, 10:16 AM   #12
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Duncan
Yeah, thank you. I see the BMW offers both an 18” and 19 “ option. I like the design of the 19’s better, but will probably go the 18” route due to what you’re mentioned. Also like $800 cheaper too.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 06:10 PM   #13
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Worth the wait! Fresh color combo.

Adaptive cruise is great but keep in mind you can also use on surface streets in stop and go traffic. Saves me from getting fatigued sometimes.

Use a damp microfiber towel to clean the screens and piano black trim, then a dry one to wipe off the dampness, then a thin, soft microfiber cloth to finish off any fingerprints or whatever is left.

Did you decide on PPF for the front and A pillars?

Definitely watch out for trucks especially in parking lots (almost backed into me a couple times, they really don’t see you!) and on the highway too - I feel like sometimes I’m below their mirrors in a blind spot.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2023, 06:28 PM   #14
leeatmg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

The Piano Black is always dusty. No way around it, but I think it's worth it for the look. YMMV. . Congratulations...beautiful car. Love the white interior with the red. Would have considered that myself but I'm in Arizona and with as much desert dust as we have here, it'd match the paint color all too soon.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2023, 06:53 PM   #15
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Worth the wait! Fresh color combo.

Adaptive cruise is great but keep in mind you can also use on surface streets in stop and go traffic. Saves me from getting fatigued sometimes.

Use a damp microfiber towel to clean the screens and piano black trim, then a dry one to wipe off the dampness, then a thin, soft microfiber cloth to finish off any fingerprints or whatever is left.

Did you decide on PPF for the front and A pillars?

Definitely watch out for trucks especially in parking lots (almost backed into me a couple times, they really don’t see you!) and on the highway too - I feel like sometimes I’m below their mirrors in a blind spot.

Enjoy!
Thanks. I’m looking into ppf and ceramic coating here in the next week or so.
Appreciate 3
JustChris17489.00
      05-11-2023, 01:16 AM   #16
Matthewstorm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

Are you doing anything special to break in the car?
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2023, 05:55 AM   #17
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewstorm View Post
Are you doing anything special to break in the car?
No, just following the recommendations for the first 1,200 miles. Did that on my last one as well and everything worked out.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 07:42 AM   #18
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. I’m looking into ppf and ceramic coating here in the next week or so.
My shop uses Xpel Ultimate Plus and Ceramic Pro 9H and Top Coat.

Also Xpel has templates on their website that their shops can use to protect the black high gloss interior. The one area I didn't cover was the center display screen and simply use a microfiber cloth on it.

Definitely protect the center console with PPF or you will see micro scratches no matter how careful you are!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-11-2023, 08:28 AM   #19
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
My shop uses Xpel Ultimate Plus and Ceramic Pro 9H and Top Coat.

Also Xpel has templates on their website that their shops can use to protect the black high gloss interior. The one area I didn't cover was the center display screen and simply use a microfiber cloth on it.

Definitely protect the center console with PPF or you will see micro scratches no matter how careful you are!
Thanks for this. I actually have the Aluminum Tetragon trim for my center console, because I was worried the high glass black would scratch and be consistently dusty. I liked the look of it as well, since it was in my previous car .
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2023, 08:40 AM   #20
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
I agree that even with PPF you can see dust. That is why having a microfiber cloth in the glove compartment is a must!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 10:12 AM   #21
Living Dead
Zed Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

Duncan
I see BMW only offers the 18" snow package, when I purchased my 2020 they had a 17" with rft snows as well at the 18" for my M40i I purchased the 17", the rfts ride harder than the stock summers, after next season I will replace them with non-rfts, hoping for a much better winter ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 10:40 AM   #22
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
I see BMW only offers the 18" snow package, when I purchased my 2020 they had a 17" with rft snows as well at the 18" for my M40i I purchased the 17", the rfts ride harder than the stock summers, after next season I will replace them with non-rfts, hoping for a much better winter ride.
They offer 18 and 19 inch options currently, both with runflats. The 18 inchers are a square setup while the 19’s are mixed. I’m ok with the RFTs for winter since if I get a flat it’s easier to deal with (especially without a spare).
Appreciate 0