United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J400uk View Post
I had a 2018 M240i convertible back to back with my 2019 Z4 M40i

Although the same engine they are very different cars to drive. The M240i felt a lot more aggressive and firmer compared to the Z4. It wasn't so good at cruising but more fun to drive quickly as you feel more involved

In comparison my Z4 is super cosseted and chilled out in all situations, even if you try and turn things up in Sport+ mode. It is much more at home just as a baby grand tourer soaking up the miles on a highway.

I think the performance is pretty much the same. Z4 slightly quicker on paper but the M240i perhaps feels faster as it's more raw feeling.

The Z4 does however sound nicer, the B58 seems a more natural fit and the exhaust is more vocal. Also it is more economical, my overall average is 28 mpg and I've seen as high as 38 mpg (UK). The M240i seemed to struggle to get above mid 20s during the same driving conditions.

Where the Z4 really moves the game on is the interior tech. The iDrive 7 system is a huge step up from the iDrive 6 in the M240i. It is packed full of extra features and feels bang up to date. The digital instrument cluster is also very cool and again makes it feel significantly more modern.

I also appreciate the extra driver aids such as the Auto hold function on the electric handbrake, and lane assist/ adaptive cruise on my Z4.

Overall I'm happy with my choice but I sometimes miss the extra sportiness/ fun factor the M240i offered.
Excellent, just what I was looking for. Still waiting for a M40 to be available locally for a test drive, but I'll definitely be looking for some of the points you make. I love the M240, but as you said, next year is the last year for the convert, so it's going to be either one of the other. I'm afraid the tech might be my tipping point..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 08:12 AM   #24
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
I went from a '17 m240ix to a '20 z4 m40i.

The m240ix was modded and had wider MPS4S tires on it (235/265) and it would hook and go. Dragy clocked it at 3.6s 0-60, 11.9s 1/4. Still think it was faster than that though because my dragy always reads 2mph slower. Either way, that was on suburban back roads, not at the drag strip. I was 100% confident with the xDrive system and was concerned, like you, about dropping it for the m LSD. Being in Florida, we get rain during the summers pretty regularly and, so having xDrive was a nice comfort that I could still launch and drive stupid even in the wet.

With the Z4 m40i, it grips really well in the dry, but still has wheel spin when using launch control through 2nd gear. From a roll, it doesn't spin the wheels, but it still hauls. The new revision of the B58 also has a better power band and continues to pull through to red line. Handling wise, the Z4 handles turns better, more confidently, than the m240ix did, and I think that's primarily due to the limited wheel width the 2er can hold in the front. Having 255s in front helps a ton on the Z4, among other things. In the wet, the Z4 does spin the wheels a bit if you get on it to early during a Uturn, otherwise, it handles wheel spin and handling phenominally with traction control. Did have a tad of hydroplaning in a huge downpour, but that's expected being so light (relatively) with wide tires. Traction control brought it back in though and made me feel very confident (I was cruising at 60 down the interstate instead of the usual 75-80).

The Z4 m40i can also be more fun to hoon in a bit if you wanted. While I was able to turn off all the nannies in the m240ix and make it go sideways from a uturn, the Z4 can drift, do burnouts, and still be predictable while hooning with the nannies off.

I do miss my 2er from time to time, but then I drive the Z4 and remember why I switched. Yes, the 2er was easier to get in and out of, but I'm 28 and have full range of movement. But I bought it because it made me want to go for a drive for no reason again. I haven't had that feeling since I was 18 and got my '06 Dakota, doing random roadtrips across state just because I could. The 2er was fun to drive, but didn't make me just go drive for no reason. I've taken the Z4 cruising along the beach, across the pan handle, top up or down, just because the driving experience is fun and engaging. Tons of people say it should have a 6 speed, but honestly I don't think it'd enhance the driving experience of the vehicle unless I was tracking it. The Z4 is a cruiser and it does it very well.
Appreciate 5
gblansten1957.50
CeEl477.50
Miata1387.00
      05-21-2019, 08:35 AM   #25
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
I went from a '17 m240ix to a '20 z4 m40i.

The m240ix was modded and had wider MPS4S tires on it (235/265) and it would hook and go. Dragy clocked it at 3.6s 0-60, 11.9s 1/4. Still think it was faster than that though because my dragy always reads 2mph slower. Either way, that was on suburban back roads, not at the drag strip. I was 100% confident with the xDrive system and was concerned, like you, about dropping it for the m LSD. Being in Florida, we get rain during the summers pretty regularly and, so having xDrive was a nice comfort that I could still launch and drive stupid even in the wet.

With the Z4 m40i, it grips really well in the dry, but still has wheel spin when using launch control through 2nd gear. From a roll, it doesn't spin the wheels, but it still hauls. The new revision of the B58 also has a better power band and continues to pull through to red line. Handling wise, the Z4 handles turns better, more confidently, than the m240ix did, and I think that's primarily due to the limited wheel width the 2er can hold in the front. Having 255s in front helps a ton on the Z4, among other things. In the wet, the Z4 does spin the wheels a bit if you get on it to early during a Uturn, otherwise, it handles wheel spin and handling phenominally with traction control. Did have a tad of hydroplaning in a huge downpour, but that's expected being so light (relatively) with wide tires. Traction control brought it back in though and made me feel very confident (I was cruising at 60 down the interstate instead of the usual 75-80).

The Z4 m40i can also be more fun to hoon in a bit if you wanted. While I was able to turn off all the nannies in the m240ix and make it go sideways from a uturn, the Z4 can drift, do burnouts, and still be predictable while hooning with the nannies off.

I do miss my 2er from time to time, but then I drive the Z4 and remember why I switched. Yes, the 2er was easier to get in and out of, but I'm 28 and have full range of movement. But I bought it because it made me want to go for a drive for no reason again. I haven't had that feeling since I was 18 and got my '06 Dakota, doing random roadtrips across state just because I could. The 2er was fun to drive, but didn't make me just go drive for no reason. I've taken the Z4 cruising along the beach, across the pan handle, top up or down, just because the driving experience is fun and engaging. Tons of people say it should have a 6 speed, but honestly I don't think it'd enhance the driving experience of the vehicle unless I was tracking it. The Z4 is a cruiser and it does it very well.
Great post. Thanks for the review.
Appreciate 1
Joe2402923.50
      05-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #26
STR3T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
... Tons of people say it should have a 6 speed, but honestly I don't think it'd enhance the driving experience of the vehicle unless I was tracking it. The Z4 is a cruiser and it does it very well.
See an article within Bloomberg that a manual tranny is coming to the Z4 as standard, starting July 2019. Googling for official BMW announcement not turning up much.

Original article/comment: https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...ssion/1583362/
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #27
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR3T View Post
See an article within Bloomberg that a manual tranny is coming to the Z4 as standard, starting July 2019. Googling for official BMW announcement not turning up much.

Original article/comment: https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...ssion/1583362/
It has been out there for awhile that the Euro spec base 20i will have a manual available. Unless something changes as of today or forward the other specs/markets will not see the manual on other engine platforms.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #28
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

I am keeping my M235xDrive with MPE alongside the Z4 M40i. I am looking forward to compare and contrast and enjoy both. In winter the M235 will be mostly the vehicle of choice.