BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 202 MPH in an Audi RS6 in the UK on public roads

05-25-2020, 01:28 AM   #23
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Crazy.... Do people on the autobahn even drive 200MPH+?
Yes they do. I've seen it a few times now. And they let you know from 2 miles back. Brights flashing like "STAY OUT OF THIS LANE."

But it works because people pay attention, and only use the left lane for passing. ANd there are honestly not so many high speed wrecks here. It's a good car culture.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58888.50
      05-25-2020, 08:36 AM   #24
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Buncha snitches
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #25
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayone415 View Post
What about long term effects and the car's reliability from much consistently higher speeds?
I am not sure what you mean. The cars are designed to go this speed, so ...

Sure, there will be slightly more wear and tear, since prolonged operation at higher RPM, but oils these days are really good. So as long as you stay on top of the maintenance I don't see any major downside.

If anything fuel and tire costs are the main issues.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #26
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
Because on Autobahn people don't eat and sleep behind the wheel like here in the states lol. Or driving with a dog on there lap. I even see people shave behind the wheel while driving.
I love to see women putting on make up or folks reading the paper or a book while driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #27
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
So what I mean is that different cars are designed with more performance than others. Your garage description says you have an M2, which is a high performance car. I've never been in one, but I'll assume your car going 120 MPH is nothing at all for your car to handle. Compare your car to an exotic or supercar, I'd assume 120 MPH on a daily basis would be even easier on their cars. Assuming the same slower cars are sold and driven in Germany as in the US, take a Toyota Corolla with 139 HP and drive that for 120 MPH everyday and just thinking as how BMW decided against putting in a temperature gauge in the 2 series for however long and across however many models?

Even with oils these days being better, it still depends on the car and how the car operates. I remember when I had my Audi and found out that it was considered normal to burn a quart of oil every 500 or so miles. It was like an oil change was basically changing new oil?
Not a car but a motorcycle. I go to track schools run by California Superbike School. They use a fleet of BMW S1000RRs. These bikes regularly see speeds over 100. Many times they're hitting close to 180 on the track. And these road courses will cause speed cycling down to 40/50 MPH and back up again lap after lap. The same oil used to lubricate the engine lubricates the transmission. I've never seen any of their bikes go down due to mechanical failure in the many years of going to their schools. These bikes are subjected to riders of all different riding styles over 4 straight days. Then the school packs up and moves on to the next track for the week after throughout the year. This speaks to the maintenance these bikes under go.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 11:23 AM   #28
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Yes they do. I've seen it a few times now. And they let you know from 2 miles back. Brights flashing like "STAY OUT OF THIS LANE."

But it works because people pay attention, and only use the left lane for passing. ANd there are honestly not so many high speed wrecks here. It's a good car culture.
When we drove to Poland through Germany (as I've said to you previously) we felt safer there at speed than on any other autobahn but when we arrived in Poland..heck different story. You don't need me to tell you the accident rate there with the 'black weekends'. I will never forget the E39 embedded two feet up a lamppost sideways with the post in the middle of car.. cholera jasna.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      05-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #29
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So what I mean is that different cars are designed with more performance than others. Your garage description says you have an M2, which is a high performance car. I've never been in one, but I'll assume your car going 120 MPH is nothing at all for your car to handle. Compare your car to an exotic or supercar, I'd assume 120 MPH on a daily basis would be even easier on their cars. Assuming the same slower cars are sold and driven in Germany as in the US, take a Toyota Corolla with 139 HP and drive that for 120 MPH everyday and just thinking as how BMW decided against putting in a temperature gauge in the 2 series for however long and across however many models?

Even with oils these days being better, it still depends on the car and how the car operates. I remember when I had my Audi and found out that it was considered normal to burn a quart of oil every 500 or so miles. It was like an oil change was basically changing new oil?
Thanks for clarifying, now I see what you're getting at. To which I reply with the following points:

1) Every car has it's "comfortable" range of operation. The M2 will easily cruise at 240-250kph. At 268 it is near redline in 6th gear. 6600 rpm or so, and it takes longer to get there. It is not drag limited, like a lot of less powerful cars, it's rev limited. I think the DCT has an advantage here with the 7th gear, but then the electronic fuel cut off kicks in.

But this is where good oil comes into play to extend life of the engine at sustained high RPMs. I'll come back to this later.

2) My wife has a Golf station wagon here. 1.4l Turbo with the DCT. 150 hp, 168 lb-ft. It gets up to about 180 kph in decent haste. From 180 to 220 it's ehhh, and it takes a looooong time to get to 235 kph where it is drag limited. The happy range for that car is under 220 I would say. But the engine RPM at that speed is only 4500. So high load on the engine, but at lower RPM.

3) So why does good motor oil go a long way? At high load, and particularly at high RPM it will stay thick enough to lubricate all the fast moving bits, while staying thin enough to get into the tight places.

I used to have a 2014 Mustang GT with the 5.0L Coyote motor. I tracked that car a lot. And I did oil analysis to make sure it was happy. And it was. With 7000 miles of city driving, and 8h of track time at sustained high load and high RPM, the oil was still 50% through it's life cycle, with expected viscosity across the temps, and with good amount of life in additive packages. That car by the way pulled HARD till about 150mph. Then is started feeling it's own aerodynamic profile. I've had it up to 165mph before and it was still accelerating, but I ran out of road, and I'm sure there wasn't much left anyway.

and finally

4) The thing that hurts cars a lot more than using them hard within their design parameters, is modifying them without good understanding of what these mods do. Running more boost, higher RPM limits, more fuel being injected across the board is what really does the damage. It can overpower the cooling capacities of the car, thus shortening the life. But if you have a unmodified car, and you stay up on maintenance, use it like it was meant to be. High load, high speed and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
When we drove to Poland through Germany (as I've said to you previously) we felt safer there at speed than on any other autobahn but when we arrived in Poland..heck different story. You don't need me to tell you the accident rate there with the 'black weekends'. I will never forget the E39 embedded two feet up a lamppost sideways with the post in the middle of car.. cholera jasna.
Masz racje!

You are right. Polish roads are narrow, much more crowded and vodka runs deep. Crashes are big and plenty, as speed and overtaking have become a form of drug.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 05-25-2020 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #30
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying, now I see what you're getting at. To which I reply with the following points:

Masz racje!

You are right. Polish roads are narrow, much more crowded and vodka runs deep. Crashes are big and plenty, as speed and overtaking have become a form of drug.
Another hazard was an inebriated bicycle riding farm worker (looked like) collapsing on the road heading home.We had to stop and pull him off the road with his nearly empty wuda bottle slipping out of his pocket and nearly smashing on the road.Nearby householders were running towards us telling us to go and that they were going to 'take care of him' before a cop car should pass by..'my dopatrzymy go panu,dziekuje.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #31
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hey, your Polish is pretty good! And spot on. Drunk drivers, bikers and horse carriage conductors. On top of everything else.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58888.50
      05-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #32
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Apparently this was a "safe" stunt....until a family of four makes a lane change and the Audi RS6 penetrates their car from behind at 140 MPH.

Last edited by racerbruce; 05-26-2020 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      05-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #33
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, it probably would of been much easier if I thought more about what I meant. Yeah, I did mean high RPMs close to redline or maxing out to rev limiter on a daily basis. Depending on how old the cars that are still on the road there manual or automatic the car can have three to eight years and still reach higher speeds eventually.

You explained your experiences with oil, but I'm still going to argue it depends on the car like the experience I had and other friends had with VW/Audis burning a quart of oil every 500-900 miles and that was the norm according to the manufacturer.

I also mentioned about no temperature gauge in some cars, so the car could be getting really close to overheating and it actually reminded me that some cars, at least in the past didn't come with RPM gauges. Which makes thing what the hell were they thinking about when they designed these cars. I don't live in a hot area, but the last two summers have been a lot higher, closer to regular summer elsewhere and having a mild tune without a temperature gauge doing my normal driving is still concerning.
Good points indeed. I have a theory about oil consumption. This topic is also very heavily debated in the Mustang community, and my personal take on it is that it depends on piston ring clearances, and how you break it in.

If the clearances are tight, normal break in is fine, if the clearances are a bit on the wide side, hard break in is needed. Many Mustang V8s consume a quart per 1000miles. And in my opinion it's because they have wider ring gap, necessitating a harder than usual break in.

My Coyote ate 1/2 a quart in the first 3000 miles. Than I took it to the track, right at the 3k mile mark. It ate another 1/2 quart in the first 2 morning sessions, and not an ounce more till I sold it at 35k miles and 5 years later (including another 12 track days). This tells me it needed more heat to properly seat the rings than one can get on the street.

That's my hypothesis anyway.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #34
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Hey, your Polish is pretty good! And spot on. Drunk drivers, bikers and horse carriage conductors. On top of everything else.
Thank you friend! I'm sure you have a similar command of the language yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #35
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

My UK M5 friend -

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Thank you friend! I'm sure you have a similar command of the language yourself.
Wowie!
Such command of the language!
      05-25-2020, 07:50 PM   #36
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I love how Audi has become the darling of the flaming idiot set. Gets BMW off the hook finally.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #37
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

What a horrendous driver. I'd be embarrassed to upload something like this.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 10:32 PM   #38
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Seems they have been caught:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-53029699
Appreciate 0