BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Z4 Concept Teased!

Closed Thread

08-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #89
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
A car that has a motor there. The Z4 will just have a gas tank there, so why the bulk?

The Z3 sold well because it was simple, relatively cheap, fun and communicative. Really just a gussied up Miata with a few luxury touches. BMW keeps moving away from this, but not with any direction. They've never been as sporty or capable as a Boxster and they've never been as feminine as a TT or SLC/SLK.

Here's hoping the new one is light, like near 3k pounds, has some actual steering feel and returns some of the rawer edges that made the E36/7 and E85 so fun.
Also agree. I love my E85 and particularly, the silky smooth and responsive inline six under the hood. I'm hoping this new car is going to finally see the Z4 clearly focus on competing with the Boxster, but we'll have to wait and see.
I don't think BMW can match Porsche dynamics. Where my E36/8 M Coupe and the E86 MC had the advantage was that they were less polished, more brutal and more enjoyable than the more clinical and ultimately faster Cayman S and higher specs.

But at least they were in the same field, just with their own character. The E89 was trying too hard to be too many things without really nailing any of them. Let's hope this car gets closer to being a hooligan and further from being a polished, boring thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #90
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
I don't think BMW can match Porsche dynamics. Where my E36/8 M Coupe and the E86 MC had the advantage was that they were less polished, more brutal and more enjoyable than the more clinical and ultimately faster Cayman S and higher specs.

But at least they were in the same field, just with their own character. The E89 was trying too hard to be too many things without really nailing any of them. Let's hope this car gets closer to being a hooligan and further from being a polished, boring thing.
Agreed. If the car can "absolutely steal your heart", as Richard Hammond said of the E85 Z4M at the end of his Top Gear review, it will be a winner. Here's hoping.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      08-16-2017, 01:21 PM   #91
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Edited rendering of teaser

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/new-...ng-teaser.642/
Appreciate 3
      08-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #92
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Why don't you wait until the car comes out first, then we will see clearly what it has to offer. I doubt they are doing this just to exercise after the last car being such a sales loser for them.

Quote:
A car that has a motor there. The Z4 will just have a gas tank there, so why the bulk?

The Z3 sold well because it was simple, relatively cheap, fun and communicative. Really just a gussied up Miata with a few luxury touches. BMW keeps moving away from this, but not with any direction. They've never been as sporty or capable as a Boxster and they've never been as feminine as a TT or SLC/SLK.

Here's hoping the new one is light, like near 3k pounds, has some actual steering feel and returns some of the rawer edges that made the E36/7 and E85 so fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #93
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Why don't you wait until the car comes out first, then we will see clearly what it has to offer. I doubt they are doing this just to exercise after the last car being such a sales loser for them.
Didn't the E89 only sell about 60% of the numbers of the E85? Certainly, there are an awful lot of lovingly maintained E85's driving around my town and the owners seem to be very happy with them.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #94
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:

Quote:

There were 6,200 Z3 M Coupes global sales, built over four years. But it's still the one BMW I truly love. Sales success gives us dull cars like the F30 and F10. If the new Z4 is any good, it probably won't sell.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #95
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

My bad. I was referring to the last Z4.

IF the new Z4 is any good, it probably will sell a shit ton.

Quote:
There were 6,200 Z3 M Coupes global sales, built over four years. But it's still the one BMW I truly love. Sales success gives us dull cars like the F30 and F10. If the new Z4 is any good, it probably won't sell.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #96
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

When you can get a whored out lease deal, you might be happy too!

Quote:
Didn't the E89 only sell about 60% of the numbers of the E85? Certainly, there are an awful lot of lovingly maintained E85's driving around my town and the owners seem to be very happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #97
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
???

I'm very happy but none of my cars are or were leased and I'm certain that the other Z4s I see around here are also owned outright.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #98
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:

The e89 was plenty good. I love mine and get complimented almost every time I drive. The e89 how ever was released during one of the worst financial crisis in the states, and a convertible isn't exactly a "need" car. Its usually a 2nd or 3rd car.

I'd also relate poor sales due to the price. It rose every year. I purchased mine with all options for 65k in '14, but the last year of production would have put the car at 10k + which is absolutely ridiculous.

btw I was also looking at an F-Type, but to have one equally equipped was 92k, and it would never have the same storage space, or refinement. I hated the fact the navigation is so low in the dash.

long story short, don't knock the e89. Its a great car, just at the wrong time.
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19

Last edited by jts1981; 08-16-2017 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #99
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
Quote:

The e89 was plenty good. I love mine and get complimented almost every time I drive. The e89 how ever was released during one of the worst financial crisis in the states, and a a convertible isn't exactly a "need" car. Its usually a 2nd or 3rd car.

I'd also relate poor sales due to the price. It rose every year. I purchased mine with all options for 65k in '14, but the last year of production would have put the car at 10k + which is absolutely ridiculous.

btw I was also looking at an F-Type, but to have one equally equipped was 92k, and it would never have the same storage space, or refinement. I hated the fact the navigation is so low in the dash.

long story short, don't know the e89. Its a great car, just at the wrong time.
I like the car other than the lack of headroom. Loved it with the top down. The current price is stupid I agree.

It was the first DCT car I drove out of a hand full of cars I had access to while meeting with BMW executives in ATL eight years ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #100
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
???

I'm very happy but none of my cars are or were leased and I'm certain that the other Z4s I see around here are also owned outright.
Most BMW's are leased FYI. People say they own their cars when leaving them all the time. If they miss a few payments they find out really qwho the true owner is when the car gets towed away.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #101
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The e89 was plenty good. I love mine and get complimented almost every time I drive. The e89 how ever was released during one of the worst financial crisis in the states, and a a convertible isn't exactly a "need" car. Its usually a 2nd or 3rd car.

Agreed.

I particularly think that greedy pricing played a major factor in poor sales for this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #102
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed.

I particularly think that greedy pricing played a major factor in poor sales for this car.
Correct
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #103
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I am disappointed at the internet that the official pics have not leaked yet

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 2
supra932474.00
      08-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #104
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_M3 View Post
BMW's legal team scours the web to make sure those pictures are removed.

I'd expect something tonight if we are lucky.

And they might be the leakers.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #105
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_M3 View Post
This, where are the Russians when you need them
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #106
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Latest press release

Quote:
Media Alert: BMW to unveil World Premiere of an all-new BMW Roadster Concept and the exclusive North American Premiere of the BMW Concept 8 Series.

Woodcliff Lake, N.J. – August 15, 2017…BMW will unveil two concept vehicles during the annual Press Conference at 10:00 AM on August 17th, at the Lodge at Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance Reviewing Stand area on the 18th green. Speakers will include Bernhard Kuhnt, new President & CEO BMW of North America and Adrian van Hooydonk, BMW Group Head of Design. After the North American premiere on April 17th, the BMW Concept 8 Series will be shown publicly at The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering on Friday, August, 18th and on the Concept Lawn at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance on Sunday August 20th. The World Premiere BMW Concept will have its only North American public showing on the Concept Lawn of the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance on Sunday August, 20th.

Woodcliff Lake, N.J. – August 15, 2017…BMW will unveil two concept vehicles during the annual Press Conference at 10:00 AM on August 17th, at the Lodge at Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance Reviewing Stand area on the 18th green. Speakers will include Bernhard Kuhnt, new President & CEO BMW of North America and Adrian van Hooydonk, BMW Group Head of Design. After the North American premiere on April 17th, the BMW Concept 8 Series will be shown publicly at The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering on Friday, August, 18th and on the Concept Lawn at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance on Sunday August 20th. The World Premiere BMW Concept will have its only North American public showing on the Concept Lawn of the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance on Sunday August, 20th.

The unveiling of the World Premiere of the sporty and progressive BMW design study encapsulates the BMW Group’s vision of a modern roadster. According to Adrian van Hooydonk, Senior Vice President BMW Group Design, “The concept expresses the new BMW design language from all perspectives and in all details. From the dynamic-looking front to the striking flanks to the clean-cut tail end: a few lines and the subtle interplay between surfaces are enough to generate a sense of power and emotion.” The series-production version of the car is set to be unveiled over the course of next year.

After an eighteen year hiatus, the ‘8 Series’ name returns to the BMW portfolio with the BMW Concept 8 Series shown on the Concept Lawn at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance this year. The BMW Concept 8 Series serves as a preview of a forthcoming BMW model – the new BMW 8 Series Coupe, slated for launch in 2018. “The number 8 and cars like the Z8 Roadster and i8 have represented the pinnacle of sports performance and exclusivity at BMW,” explains Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG Harald Krüger. “The forthcoming BMW 8 Series Coupe will demonstrate that razor-sharp dynamics and modern luxury can go hand-in-hand. This will be the next model in the expansion of our luxury-car offering and will raise the benchmark for coupes in the segment. In the process, we will strengthen our claim to leadership in the luxury class.”

The BMW Concept 8 Series is immediately recognizable as a BMW, but also displays new design ideas and form-building techniques. “The design of the BMW Concept 8 Series provides a fresh interpretation of iconic BMW styling cues,” adds van Hooydonk. “And it also showcases a new approach to the use of forms which is reflected particularly prominently in the car’s surfacing. A handful of crisp lines mark out clear surfaces, and the car’s volumes are powerfully sculpted. Together, these elements make a forceful statement and create a model brimming with character. In short, this is a driver’s car.”

The BMW Concept 8 Series reveals much of what is yet to come. “The BMW Concept 8 Series is our take on a full-blooded high-end driving machine,” says van Hooydonk. “It is a luxurious sports car which embodies both unadulterated dynamics and modern luxury like arguably no other. For me, it’s a slice of pure automotive fascination.” The BMW Concept 8 Series makes its North American debut after being first shown at the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este in late May. The BMW Concept 8 Series will be shown publicly at The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering on Friday, August 18th and on the Concept Lawn at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance on Sunday, August 20th.

BMW will again participate in the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion this year campaigning two historic cars driven by notable drivers. The famous 1975 BMW 3.0 CSL #25 will, one last time, be driven by former BMW of North America President Ludwig Willisch while the 1972 ALPINA 2002ti will be driven by none other than Adrian van Hooydonk, BMW Group Head of Design.
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...ncept-8-series
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 10:11 PM   #107
BALL3N
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330xi, 2019 X3 x30i

Garage List
2020 330xi  [0.00]
Those kidneys and side contours are much more appealing than the renders. Here's hoping it's not too far from production reality... I'm not sure about those headlights, yet, but I predict: 1) Laser headlights with dynamic blue elements that will change our impression vs. what we see right now-on the concept. 2) The concept's headlights are ahead of current tech/design and will end up more akin to production reality/consumer expectations. BMW, if you're reading this, the stacked/abstracted quad headlights don't do it for me...yet.

I've handled lots of ///M's, Euro Deliveries, PC Deliveries, Dual Deliveries, some Individual Orders, an M4 GTS, an M760xi.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 10:11 PM   #108
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
If I'm not mistaken, the official pics will release tomorrow....possibly at midnight tonight.
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #109
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

See photos here:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1413211
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread