BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Upcoming BMW Z4 Rendered by Autobild

03-30-2018, 06:39 PM   #67
snedanator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i le mans blue

I like the front" not at aggressive as the concept which I would have liked" I like the side view, I like the rear... but it as whole still doesn't look right😞. Defo would have preferred a hard top.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 10:44 AM   #68
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snedanator View Post
I like the front" not at aggressive as the concept which I would have liked" I like the side view, I like the rear... but it as whole still doesn't look right😞. Defo would have preferred a hard top.
The only reason the e89 z4 had any sales whatsoever despite being overpriced was because it was sportier than an SLK and had a hardtop that the Boxster didn't offer. This car with a soft top is DOA.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 12:34 PM   #69
snedanator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i le mans blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post
The only reason the e89 z4 had any sales whatsoever despite being overpriced was because it was sportier than an SLK and had a hardtop that the Boxster didn't offer. This car with a soft top is DOA.
Yeah the e89 was a nice car and still is. I'm just not liking this one I'm afraid.... the concept one looked well better .
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 02:00 PM   #70
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
really hate the upside down grilles like the x2
Right !?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 02:04 PM   #71
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
DOA to you.

Hardtops are played.

Ragtops are timeless and embody lightness.

Even the upcoming 4er will have a ragtop for the same reasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 03:01 PM   #72
AWSB328iM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT

Hmm if it turns out like that I'd rather get a 4 cylinder F-type.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 04:25 PM   #73
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

So glad it’s a soft top! Just the way verts should be. Hate the look and functionality of a hard top!
      03-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #74
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah the e89 was a nice car and still is. I'm just not liking this one I'm afraid.... the concept one looked well better .
It's a crappy render.

Maybe wait for real reveal before you empty your tissue box.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 11:59 PM   #75
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
really hate the upside down grilles like the x2
Right !?
I think these look more similar to the 8 series kidney grilles than the X2's. X2 grille is literally like the "standard," modern BMW kidney shape, only flipped. The Z4 and 8er have a totally new kidney shape (can we even call it a "kidney" anymore?) that seems to be inspired by the M8 GTE race car's front end. I'll reserve final judgement until I see them in person, but as of right now, it looks a lot better on the M8 racer.
      04-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #76
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
I'd never buy a folding hard top. Too much weight up high when it's up and too much trunk space consumed when it's down. If you live in the hood, don't buy a convertible.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      04-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #77
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I'd never buy a folding hard top. Too much weight up high when it's up and too much trunk space consumed when it's down. If you live in the hood, don't buy a convertible.
Truth
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #78
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

Huuuu Autobild...
I remember how they showed the upcoming Z3 back in 95.
It looked like a screwed Compact

But let's have a look at a direct comparison below.

The main problem of both 'renderings' is the missing straight line on the concept, that goes from mid height of the grill outwards and becomes the top of the lower side air inlets.
It will be interesting to see, how this line appears on the final car.

I personally think, it can't look better than how it is made on the concept. Anything else destroys the main idea of that front end design and rightly provokes strange comparisons.

(Autobild, Concept, Carscoops).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 09:04 PM   #79
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
The main problem of both 'renderings' is the missing straight line on the concept, that goes from mid height of the grill outwards and becomes the top of the lower side air inlets.
It will be interesting to see, how this line appears on the final car.
Yes, you are right! Now that you pointed it out ... that does make the renders kind of boring and 'old' looking. That's probably why it reminds everyone of other cars. Let's hope BMW keeps that front / grill like in the concept.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 10:51 PM   #80
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

I'll tell you what that render reminds me of...

Remember in Men in Black when Edgar's wife tells him he isn't looking so good - and he pulls the skin on his face tight from the back of his head? And his wife faints.... THAT!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 01:55 AM   #81
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Awesome renderings. Can't wait to see how much it matches up to the real thing
      04-02-2018, 07:02 AM   #82
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Am I in the wrong place? Is this the Toyota forum?

Sad days for BMW
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #83
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post

Sad days for BMW
FWD X2 in the America’s = sad days.

The Z4 is a small, probably lightweight RWD roadster. It will have a 6MT option too. The Z4 is more like the BMWs of old than any of their other new stuff. It is a good thing. The Z4 was designed from the ground up as a sports car. The same cannot be said of any other current BMW. Let’s be honest here, M cars are just modified family sedans...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #84
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
Quote:

Sad days for BMW
FWD X2 in the AmericaÂ’s = sad days.

The Z4 is a small, probably lightweight RWD roadster. It will have a 6MT option too. The Z4 is more like the BMWs of old than any of their other new stuff. It is a good thing. The Z4 was designed from the ground up as a sports car. The same cannot be said of any other current BMW. LetÂ’s be honest here, M cars are just modified family sedans...
I saw the X2 monstrosity at the NY Auto show the other day. Talk about Fugly.

///M cars have always been modified family cars.

What I found funny is that BMW "mobility" as stupid as that sounds is pushing the i division hard. They had a whole area at the show for it.

Take a guess where most of the people at the show weren't. The i area. From what I saw most people went right to "regular" models, SUVs and of course the ///M cars.

I hear you. At least the Z4 will be a proper sporty car. Not a fan though of Toyota's involvement.

BMW is heading down a slippery slope
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #85
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

Quote:

What I found funny is that BMW "mobility" as stupid as that sounds is pushing the i division hard. They had a whole area at the show for it.

Take a guess where most of the people at the show weren't. The i area. From what I saw most people went right to "regular" models, SUVs and of course the ///M cars.

I hear you. At least the Z4 will be a proper sporty car. Not a fan though of Toyota's involvement.

Interesting statement.

I drive my i3 for three weeks now and all I can tell you is: I'll never change back to a 'normal' car
Never before I had the feeling to drive something so completely new and modern. And even I don't use all of this mobility, connect and remote stuff, it's great to have it.

That's also the reason I'm not interested at all to buy this new Z4, even it will look as great as this absolutely wonderful concept.
But if they would release it as an iZ, I would not be able to hold back, now that I know...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #86
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Quote:

Interesting statement.

I drive my i3 for three weeks now and all I can tell you is: I'll never change back to a 'normal' car
Never before I had the feeling to drive something completely new and modern. And even I don't use all of this mobility, connect and remote stuff, it's great to have it.

That's also the reason I'm not interested at all to buy this new Z4, even it will look as great as this absolutely wonderful concept.
But if they would release it as an iZ, I would not be able to hold back, now that I know...
Is this your 1st BMW?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #87
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #88
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Sometimes I wonder if these renders are sponsored by the car manufacturers to throw the public (and competition) off their trail ...
Appreciate 0