BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Domagoj Dukec: "Good Design isn't about Pretty or Ugly"

02-21-2022, 07:05 AM   #177
classj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi E90, X3 M40i, M2CS,X7M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
We already have almost a year worth of sales data. It’s phenomenal. That’s the point I was making and that some people are trying to dismiss this data by creating emotional and unrealistic explanations to explain it. Just look at Draman wrote above. It’s a perfect example of what I’m talking about.
I hear you. But sales data does not mean much to me. We can disagree on the stying, size, and weight of the new M3 but it is a good car technically and is selling. In this economy everything is selling. A car has to be a flop to not sell. (See my 4 cyl boxster example). There are a lot of buyers out there, and brand loyalists that would buy a turd with a BMW emblem.

Let’s look at a really bad car. The Pontiac Aztek. Widely regarded as a total design failure. They found 120k customers for those.

The C3 corvette I mentioned above. Again, not a horrible car in some years but their designs were not great. Their value is in the toilet compared to other generations. They sold over 500k cars.

BMW only needs to sell 110k M3’s from this generation to be a sales success.

Time will tell how the market judges these cars.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502936.50
      02-21-2022, 07:23 AM   #178
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by classj View Post
I hear you. But sales data does not mean much to me. We can disagree on the stying, size, and weight of the new M3 but it is a good car technically and is selling. In this economy everything is selling. A car has to be a flop to not sell. (See my 4 cyl boxster example). There are a lot of buyers out there, and brand loyalists that would buy a turd with a BMW emblem.

Let’s look at a really bad car. The Pontiac Aztek. Widely regarded as a total design failure. They found 120k customers for those.

The C3 corvette I mentioned above. Again, not a horrible car in some years but their designs were not great. Their value is in the toilet compared to other generations. They sold over 500k cars.

BMW only needs to sell 110k M3’s from this generation to be a sales success.

Time will tell how the market judges these cars.
I appreciate the discourse but this is where I disagree with you vehemently. No one, not even a billionaire is going to spend $100,000 on a car they don’t like. It’s not going to happen ever. Regardless of the economy. The only people buying this G80 that might not like it are shops that make modifications for them and they are buying them so they can design these mods. I don’t like and I have never liked any design of the Corvette. Ever. However there been many years it was the fastest production car and just a bad ass machine and I still wouldn’t buy it. Same thing with the mustang or the Dodge charger. All sick cars that I find incredibly ugly and I would never buy them regardless of how fast they are.

I also would argue that in this economical environment we find ourselves in and with part the shortages would support my view even stronger. People who hate somethings definitely are not going to go out of their way, more than normal to acquire it.

I think it’s just time to admit that there’s an entire car buying world out there besides BMW traditionalists. Lots of these people love the entire G8X. Obviously enough to set new sales records for BMW for this particular model. I cannot fathom why traditionalists get so upset about this here. It doesn’t bother me one bit that the Corvette is the number one selling sports car in the United States. Im glad. I also don’t tell people that own a Corvette (I’m friends with a couple) how ugly I find their car nor do I hang out on the Corvette forum and tell its members that either. I realize I’m in the minority opinion on the Corvette and it’s probably time for BMW traditionalists to admit they are in the minority in their opinion of the G8X. Yes I realize that won’t happen.

But hey in the not too distant future, probably less then a year the economy is going to crash so we will then get to see how G8X sales do in a bad economy. I imagine they won’t do very good. So then you guys can point to that and say “ah ha see I told you so.”
Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00
      02-21-2022, 07:41 AM   #179
classj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the discourse but this is where I disagree with you vehemently. No one, not even a billionaire is going to spend $100,000 on a car they don’t like. It’s not going to happen ever. Regardless of the economy. The only people buying this G80 that might not like it are shops that make modifications for them and they are buying them so they can design these mods. I don’t like and I have never liked any design of the Corvette. Ever. However there been many years it was the fastest production car and just a bad ass machine and I still wouldn’t buy it. Same thing with the mustang or the Dodge charger. All sick cars that I find incredibly ugly and I would never buy them regardless of how fast they are.

I also would argue that in this economical environment we find ourselves in and with part the shortages would support my view even stronger. People who hate somethings definitely are not going to go out of their way, more than normal to acquire it.

I think it’s just time to admit that there’s an entire car buying world out there besides BMW traditionalists. Lots of these people love the entire G8X. Obviously enough to set new sales records for BMW for this particular model. I cannot fathom why traditionalists get so upset about this here. It doesn’t bother me one bit that the Corvette is the number one selling sports car in the United States. Im glad. I also don’t tell people that own a Corvette (I’m friends with a couple) how ugly I find their car nor do I hang out on the Corvette forum and tell its members that either. I realize I’m in the minority opinion on the Corvette and it’s probably time for BMW traditionalists to admit they are in the minority in their opinion of the G8X. Yes I realize that won’t happen.

But hey in the not too distant future, probably less then a year the economy is going to crash so we will then get to see how G8X sales do in a bad economy. I imagine they won’t do very good. So then you guys can point to that and say “ah ha see I told you so.”
Some good points but there have been plenty of Ferrari’s, Porsche’s, and other expensive cars that sold well, but never became desirable collectibles long term due to polarizing styling. The list is long.

These are BMW’s anyway…the German Toyota of the world. Very few BMW’s become collectible to anyone other than enthusiasts. BMW does not sit there and think about brand heritage and placement of their cars in time. They think about moving metal.

I also truly believe most Aztek buyers liked their choice. There were plenty of not ugly cars out there at similar price points back then.

I think BMW will sell plenty of M3’s. Especially after the LCI. It’s a fast good car that is practical. With a very polarizing styling decision mocked by many car designers and enthusiasts.

Oh and not that it matters but I think the C7 and C8 corvettes are hideous so we agree there.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502936.50
      02-21-2022, 07:56 AM   #180
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Some good points but there have been plenty of Ferrari’s, Porsche’s, and other expensive cars that sold well, but never became desirable collectibles long term due to polarizing styling. The list is long.

These are BMW’s anyway…the German Toyota of the world. Very few BMW’s become collectible to anyone other than enthusiasts. BMW does not sit there and think about brand heritage and placement of their cars in time. They think about moving metal.

I also truly believe most Aztek buyers liked their choice. There were plenty of not ugly cars out there at similar price points back then.

I think BMW will sell plenty of M3’s. Especially after the LCI. It’s a fast good car that is practical. With a very polarizing styling decision mocked by many car designers and enthusiasts.

Oh and not that it matters but I think the C7 and C8 corvettes are hideous so we agree there.
Well you very well may be right. Time will tell. This will probably be the last ice M3 though. It’s also the fastest by far. And you never know, the hate might subside a little over the course of the next five to ten years. Seems to have quite a bit in just one year. Look at all the previous M3 owners here that bought a G80. So 10 years from now on this very forum we will find out whether there is any love for this design. I suspect there will be. Mainly because this new design is bringing in all kinds of new BMW buyers and as time goes todays traditionalists fall off being replaced with new traditionalists. Meanwhile I’m going to drive and love my G80 for the next year until my Porsche allocation arrives.
Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00
      02-21-2022, 08:06 AM   #181
classj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well you very well may be right. Time will tell. This will probably be the last ice M3 though. It’s also the fastest by far. And you never know, the hate might subside a little over the course of the next five to ten years. Seems to have quite a bit in just one year. Look at all the previous M3 owners here that bought a G80. So 10 years from now on this very forum we will find out whether there is any love for this design. I suspect there will be. Mainly because this new design is bringing in all kinds of new BMW buyers and as time goes todays traditionalists fall off being replaced with new traditionalists. Meanwhile I’m going to drive and love my G80 for the next year until my Porsche allocation arrives.
I hate it less than I did a year ago… so that’s progress. I bought an M2CS instead.

Which Porsche do you have on order? My latest is a 991.2 touring
Appreciate 1
Patton2502936.50
      02-21-2022, 09:06 AM   #182
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I hate it less than I did a year ago… so that’s progress. I bought an M2CS instead.

Which Porsche do you have on order? My latest is a 991.2 touring
You see that's the solution right there brother. Well done. Just get the M2, M5 or M8. Perfect.

I'm on the list for the turbo and the turbo S. I'll take whichever allocation comes first. Looks like anywhere from a six month to one year wait. I don't care though because I have a nice car in the meanwhile.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 12:17 PM   #183
classj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You see that's the solution right there brother. Well done. Just get the M2, M5 or M8. Perfect.

I'm on the list for the turbo and the turbo S. I'll take whichever allocation comes first. Looks like anywhere from a six month to one year wait. I don't care though because I have a nice car in the meanwhile.
Nice! Enjoy. Hopefully its a short wait.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 12:22 PM   #184
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:

Same here. It's not that I don't like my M4 because it truly is an amazing car, but it doesn't get the look backs that my F82 got from me. I am in love with the looks of the M8 however so I have one of those on order. Sadly it's not supposed to start production until the week of May 28th. 🥲
Appreciate 1
Patton2502936.50
      02-21-2022, 06:00 PM   #185
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:

Same here. It's not that I don't like my M4 because it truly is an amazing car, but it doesn't get the look backs that my F82 got from me. I am in love with the looks of the M8 however so I have one of those on order. Sadly it's not supposed to start production until the week of May 28th. 🥲
I came so close to ordering the M8. The problem for me is it's just too big for my garage. I would have to do some major moving stuff around. The M3 is perfect and so is a 911.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 08:14 PM   #186
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
I came so close to ordering the M8. The problem for me is it's just too big for my garage. I would have to do some major moving stuff around. The M3 is perfect and so is a 911.
Its only 2" longer and 1" wider (and 1" shorter) than my M4 so I should be ok. I really do like my M4 despite me wishing it had a different grille design. It's an amazing car. I always figured the M8 was going to be huge as it is a larger number than 7 which is a huge car. Then I saw this Laguna Seca Blue one at M Track Days in Indy and have been in lust ever since.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
chris7197273.00
Patton2502936.50
      02-21-2022, 08:17 PM   #187
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
@patton

cant believe u keep trollin and keep talkn bs, im sure
U cant wait for your allocation

Ure garage cant fit an M8 but is perfect for the M3,
Exactly 3 inches difference in length between the cars so tell your stories elsewhere.

I cant believe anyone responds to u, u acknowledge u r not a bmw fan and jump so u know nothing of the history or why anyone would hate that ugly thing u drive. And I laugh that u even talk about Porsche which u surely know even less about.

And LOL on the car choices, “ill take a turbo or S” u dont know what u are sayin which makes it that much more comical.

Those that know will understand, those that dont will say they’re waiting for an allocation

Go troll somewhere else with that ugly mess u drive
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22578.00
      02-22-2022, 11:21 AM   #188
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
@patton

Exactly 3 inches difference in length between the cars so tell your stories elsewhere.

I cant believe anyone responds to u, u acknowledge u r not a bmw fan and jump so u know nothing of the history or why anyone would hate that ugly thing u drive. And I laugh that u even talk about Porsche which u surely know even less about.

And LOL on the car choices, “ill take a turbo or S” u dont know what u are sayin which makes it that much more comical.

Those that know will understand, those that dont will say they’re waiting for an allocation

Jeeeesus dude, talk about shots fired... What exactly did he do to troll? I didn't notice anything bad on this thread...
      02-22-2022, 11:37 AM   #189
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_F87 View Post
I'd be interested to see the results too!
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1898346

Looks like just a bit short of 75% .
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 09:41 PM   #190
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1898346

Looks like just a bit short of 75% .
70.42% eh? Looks like more people on the BMW forums prefer the design lol
Patton2502936.50
      02-23-2022, 04:05 AM   #191
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Its only 2" longer and 1" wider (and 1" shorter) than my M4 so I should be ok. I really do like my M4 despite me wishing it had a different grille design. It's an amazing car. I always figured the M8 was going to be huge as it is a larger number than 7 which is a huge car. Then I saw this Laguna Seca Blue one at M Track Days in Indy and have been in lust ever since.
The M3 is 189” and the M8 is 191.8” and the M5 is 196.4”. While the M8 it’s only a couple of inches longer that’s just enough to make a difference. Although I could probably make that work but definitely not the M5
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 04:07 AM   #192
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Jeeeesus dude, talk about shots fired... What exactly did he do to troll? I didn't notice anything bad on this thread...
I appreciate it man. Just ignore him. A troll to him is anyone that has a different opinion than him.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2022, 04:09 AM   #193
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
@patton

Fly away young man. You’ll have to discover as you get older there are people that have different opinions than you and you’ll just have to deal with that. These are lessons I teach my children especially now that they’re older. Perhaps you can get some counsel from your parents on this very subject. It will help you in life. Your welcome.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2022, 01:32 PM   #194
m630
Major
Rep

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Fly away young man. You’ll have to discover as you get older there are people that have different opinions than you and you’ll just have to deal with that. These are lessons I teach my children especially now that they’re older. Perhaps you can get some counsel from your parents on this very subject. It will help you in life. Your welcome.
Thanks grandpa but I’m likely older than u and unquestionably more intelligent. U are a troll plain and simple and I owned u on Ure bs. Enjoy ure ride blind man.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 01:34 PM   #195
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks grandpa but I’m likely older than u and unquestionably more intelligent. U are a troll plain and simple and I owned u on Ure bs. Enjoy ure ride blind man.
My apologies. I assumed you were an adolescent by your behavior. Name-calling, accusations, hypocrisy and lying. These are the traits of an undisciplined adolescent.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 01:42 PM   #196
m630
Major
Rep

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
It was agreed long ago that the g80/82 debate was to be dropped and that we all will agree to disagree on the design choices. However, this troll continues to degrade anyone who doesn’t agree that the gates of hell nose is beautiful, and continues over and over, just reread the comments.

He knows nothing of bmw history or why some may disagree with his opinion on design and heritage and trashes those that do.
Then he talks drivel about cars that he would buy if only he could fit that one more inch without tearing apart his garage, and then to top it off he moans about moving on to Porsche if only he could get that allocation
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 01:56 PM   #197
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It was agreed long ago that the g80/82 debate was to be dropped and that we all will agree to disagree on the design choices. However, this troll continues to degrade anyone who doesn’t agree that the gates of hell nose is beautiful, and continues over and over, just reread the comments.

He knows nothing of bmw history or why some may disagree with his opinion on design and heritage and trashes those that do.
Then he talks drivel about cars that he would buy if only he could fit that one more inch without tearing apart his garage, and then to top it off he moans about moving on to Porsche if only he could get that allocation
Yeah pretty sure none of that was communicated by him to that extent of which you are claiming. Settle down bud, this is an adult forum.
      02-27-2022, 01:58 PM   #198
m630
Major
Rep

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
We’ll agree to disagree, that’s what adults do.
Appreciate 0