03-04-2022, 11:31 AM   #67
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Ticket Clinic was worthless for me in Los Angeles.

In May 2017, an overzealous cop pulled me over on Venice Blvd near Sepulveda while I was towing my trailer. Pulled me over with no probable cause---no way he could see my trailer hookup from the parking lot he had been sitting in. He came and stared at my trailer hookup and studied it for several minutes and then took pictures of it. Asks me what I'm towing (race car). Asks me who owns the trailer and truck (me). Asks me if it's a new or old car.....(????). Then tells me my emergency brake breakaway cable is hooked up wrong and then proceeds to give me the M.A.X.I.M.U.M. fine humanly possible in accordance with all galactic laws---max fine and points. Points for a brake cable on a trailer hitch? If this guy could have put me away for life, he would have done it. I actually fixed it in front of him. I said, "is this correct now?" He said yes, gave me the ticket and drove away. I was totally courteous with him. Gave him no attitude. Why did he have to hang me out to dry?

I had seen Ticket Clinic billboards around. And my friend had used a ticket lawyer in San Diego with good results. So, I decided to give them a try. They said "wow, he gave you the max." They charged $100 to deal with it. Told me not to come to court. The lawyer kept delaying the court appearance. Don't know why.

Finally, in December 2017, the court date came and went. Heard nothing from them. Called the ticket lawyer. Asked what happened. They said they pleaded no contest. I pay court fees and it's over. Ok.

May 2018, I'm going through my insurance coverage with my carrier and rates are all jacked up. I'm like what's going on? They had to dig for awhile to find out that I was still slapped with the points! WTF!

I'm not a lawyer, but I am 100% convinced I could have shown up to the court date and defended myself better than whatever that crap lawyer did.

In my experience, if you have Waze up on your phone, it warns you about traffic lights with cameras.
Appreciate 1
wdb4716.50
      03-04-2022, 11:43 AM   #68
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Ticket Clinic was worthless for me in Los Angeles.

In May 2017, an overzealous cop pulled me over on Venice Blvd near Sepulveda while I was towing my trailer. Pulled me over with no probable cause---no way he could see my trailer hookup from the parking lot he had been sitting in. He came and stared at my trailer hookup and studied it for several minutes and then took pictures of it. Asks me what I'm towing (race car). Asks me who owns the trailer and truck (me). Asks me if it's a new or old car.....(????). Then tells me my emergency brake breakaway cable is hooked up wrong and then proceeds to give me the M.A.X.I.M.U.M. fine humanly possible in accordance with all galactic laws---max fine and points. Points for a brake cable on a trailer hitch? If this guy could have put me away for life, he would have done it. I actually fixed it in front of him. I said, "is this correct now?" He said yes, gave me the ticket and drove away. I was totally courteous with him. Gave him no attitude. Why did he have to hang me out to dry?

I had seen Ticket Clinic billboards around. And my friend had used a ticket lawyer in San Diego with good results. So, I decided to give them a try. They said "wow, he gave you the max." They charged $100 to deal with it. Told me not to come to court. The lawyer kept delaying the court appearance. Don't know why.

Finally, in December 2017, the court date came and went. Heard nothing from them. Called the ticket lawyer. Asked what happened. They said they pleaded no contest. I pay court fees and it's over. Ok.

May 2018, I'm going through my insurance coverage with my carrier and rates are all jacked up. I'm like what's going on? They had to dig for awhile to find out that I was still slapped with the points! WTF!

I'm not a lawyer, but I am 100% convinced I could have shown up to the court date and defended myself better than whatever that crap lawyer did.

In my experience, if you have Waze up on your phone, it warns you about traffic lights with cameras.
The falicy with seeking no points with a moving violation is that with some or maybe all insurance carriers, when they pull your driving record the violation is still listed; even with no points. The carrier can at its discretion surcharge you for the moving violation. The key with addressing tickets is to not have the ticket appear at all; either through outright dismissal or probation before judgement.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 11:49 AM   #69
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
The falicy with seeking no points with a moving violation is that with some or maybe all insurance carriers, when they pull your driving record the violation is still listed; even with no points. The carrier can at its discretion surcharge you for the moving violation. The key with addressing tickets is to not have the ticket appear at all; either through outright dismissal or probation before judgement.
Never had points before. Was super excited to learn they sit on the insurance for three years......
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 12:10 PM   #70
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I've never had a ticket show up on my record for insurance purposes. I don't really know how it works, but we have a public record and a "private" record. Insurance companies only have access to the public record. Going to traffic school removes the ticket from the public record, but not the private record that only LE has access.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 12:38 PM   #71
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I've never had a ticket show up on my record for insurance purposes. I don't really know how it works, but we have a public record and a "private" record. Insurance companies only have access to the public record. Going to traffic school removes the ticket from the public record, but not the private record that only LE has access.
And that's the whole point. A PBJ (probation before judgement) is just that. The violation is held in the private record of LE for a year. If you're clean, it just falls off. If you get another violation, the judge at his/her discretion can reinstate the previous ticket and enforce the new one.

The sure fire way is to pull your driving record to see what's there. I did that once and found an old ticket which was a non moving violation one for not being able to provide my driver's license when requested. I went through the process with the DMV to expunge that from my driving record as it was over 3 to 5 years old.
Appreciate 0