BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Sold the M4 for this.........

07-16-2015, 01:10 PM   #67
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Looks good bro!
Appreciate 2
      07-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #68
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfEightyM3 View Post
I was talking 911 S/GTS.
That makes even less sense. Why are talking about the 911 GTS when this entire thread is about the Cayman GTS vs the M4?
I have no idea how a 911 GTS got mixed in... I mentioned a Turbo S was my choice for the street and then 911 GTS numbers were mentioned... agreed a 911 GTS is probably plenty quick for most but what does that have to do w a Cayman GTS is beyond me... :
      07-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #69
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
How does the power delivery feel compared to the M4?
      07-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #70
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Nice upgrade. Anyone who doesn't think this is an upgrade probably doesn't know how to drive in the first place. I just picked up an S2000 which is REALLY slow, but so much more fun to drive than my M3. Someday I want to switch out my M3 for a Cayman GTS/4, Boxster Spyder, or some variant of a naturally aspirated RWD 911.

M cars are fantastic cars, but they are compromising for daily usability.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 3
      07-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #71
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Nice upgrade. Anyone who doesn't think this is an upgrade probably doesn't know how to drive in the first place. I just picked up an S2000 which is REALLY slow, but so much more fun to drive than my M3. Someday I want to switch out my M3 for a Cayman GTS/4, Boxster Spyder, or some variant of a naturally aspirated RWD 911.

I came from an S2000 and an RX7 and I can't help but laugh every time someone calls their BMW a sports car (other than the Zs). I just get this image of a bunch of recently promoted middle-managers who have only ever driven Camrys and minivans before. I've driven a couple 911s and Caymans and Porsche is on a completely different level than anything in the price range. BMWs are great as a compromise of comfort and performance, but they just can't compare to a pure sports car.
Appreciate 3
      07-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #72
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
I came from an S2000 and an RX7 and I can't help but laugh every time someone calls their BMW a sports car (other than the Zs). I just get this image of a bunch of recently promoted middle-managers who have only ever driven Camrys and minivans before. I've driven a couple 911s and Caymans and Porsche is on a completely different level than anything in the price range. BMWs are great as a compromise of comfort and performance, but they just can't compare to a pure sports car.
Yeah so your Rx7 and Honda are more "pure sports cars" than an M3, 1M, 135, M235 ( for new cars)? You have no clue. Also, not every Porsche is the same. In reality it's 911 s + or nothing. The batman may handle very well but it's not on another level that ANY of the above. As the M3 does everything very well and the 1m simply would won the Cayman from top to bottom. So it's a real "shame" BMW doesn't make a true "sports car" unless it's a Z.

Tell us why you're on this forum?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #73
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Nice choice. Can't wait to go drive one soon actually.
      07-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #74
ai388
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

excellent!
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #75
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
you bitch about this all the time......just sell your car and get an S2000. bloody hell...there's nothing worse than the sound of incessant whining.

i've driven several S2000s and hated the piss slow low-RPM characteristics.....couldn't bear to grind that thing out to 7k RPM everytime i wanted a laugh. If you drive 90% on a track, fine....otherwise---no thanks.

i've driven MANY Porsches on a street and track....they are great cars, but not 'untouchable' by any means. There are many great cars out there.....with different characteristics and benefits.

Last edited by IEDEI; 07-16-2015 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 4
      07-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #76
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB/SS M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post

Sounds like we're on the same page. GTS comes with sport chrono which has this semi-gimmicky g force meter and I've been able to pull 1.1G on stock P Zeros.

I remember the first on ramp I took when I was driving home from the dealer, and immediately after turn in I began Laughing hysterically at the front end grip and balance.

Not all will get it

Thank you all for the kind words
Appreciate 3
      07-16-2015, 07:38 PM   #77
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM4ZING View Post
How does the power delivery feel compared to the M4?
The torque isn't explosive like the M4, but "340 hp" and sub 3000 lbs it moves damn fast. I did manage the advertised top speed of 177 mph on a closed course. Probably still not fast enough for most on here

Last edited by SMURFDADDY; 07-16-2015 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #78
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60 View Post
Douchebags like that guy are the reason people dont have much of an issue straying from BMW. What an asshole, a 335i would kill him due to weight alone, you were probably just cruising along. Moron.
Yep, literally just cruising until he antagonized me for 4 miles so when it finally straightened out I knocked it from 7th to 3rd in sport plus and walked away from him fairly quickly. I let off almost immediately as I wasn't looking to pus my luck, just lifted no brakes, so no brake light engagement, so he probably thought he reeled me in . That's when the ricer flyby happened and the I was granted the honor of witnessing a "stereotypical bmw douche" in its natural habitat
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #79
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMURFDADDY View Post

I remember the first on ramp I took when I was driving home from the dealer, and immediately after turn in I began Laughing hysterically at the front end grip and balance.

Not all will get it

:
I "get it"....been there many times..just amazed at what the cars I have owned have been able to do...not a P-car, Ferrari, or anything like that. I get what you mean, though. It's an awesome feeling. Good for you.

Enjoy that car....good for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 09:07 PM   #80
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL335 View Post
I "get it"....been there many times..just amazed at what the cars I have owned have been able to do...not a P-car, Ferrari, or anything like that. I get what you mean, though. It's an awesome feeling. Good for you.

Enjoy that car....good for you.
I have a NA 120HP R56 Mini with a 6 Speed and nothing else and that car will probably go down as one of the most fun cars I'll ever own. Yes, "basic" cars can be performers as well.

No offense, but you kind of sound like the guy who shows up to the shooting range with a .22, and claim it does the "same job" as a .45. No animosity here, just drawing the correlation.

Am I going to go up to an F430 owner and talk shit to him about how light and nimble my Mini is in the canyons compared to his larger car? No. But I do accept the fact that that the Ferrari is the better car, appreciate it and hope to be in his shoes some day.

It's not the end of the world when somebody says an M3 isn't a sports car, because it's true. It's a leather swathed saloon car with lots of boost and tech.....albeit a bad as f*** leather swathed saloon car with lots of boost and tech
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #81
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I have a NA 120HP R56 Mini with a 6 Speed and nothing else and that car will probably go down as one of the most fun cars I'll ever own. Yes, "basic" cars can be performers as well.

No offense, but you kind of sound like the guy who shows up to the shooting range with a .22, and claim it does the "same job" as a .45. No animosity here, just drawing the correlation.

Am I going to go up to an F430 owner and talk shit to him about how light and nimble my Mini is in the canyons compared to his larger car? No. But I do accept the fact that that the Ferrari is the better car, appreciate it and hope to be in his shoes some day.

It's not the end of the world when somebody says an M3 isn't a sports car, because it's true. It's a leather swathed saloon car with lots of boost and tech.....albeit a bad as f*** leather swathed saloon car with lots of boost and tech
I would never show up to a gun range with a .22.....44 Magnum, sure. That's how it is. Do it right or not at all. Now there is balance. a Glock .40 cal is nice too.

An 07 997 turbo is probably the best lb for lb car for the price out there. That's MY type of car. A few cars can beat it top speed and 0-60 but virtually no car...for the $$ can touch it performance-wise street or track.

That's it. No disrespect. I liked your post about laughing..because I "get it"....happened with my e46 m3 and my current 335...amazing performance is laughable.

Todd
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 09:47 PM   #82
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would never show up to a gun range with a .22.....44 Magnum, sure. That's how it is. Do it right or not at all. Now there is balance. a Glock .40 cal is nice too.

An 07 997 turbo is probably the best lb for lb car for the price out there. That's MY type of car. A few cars can beat it top speed and 0-60 but virtually no car...for the $$ can touch it performance-wise street or track.

That's it. No disrespect. I liked your post about laughing..because I "get it"....happened with my e46 m3 and my current 335...amazing performance is laughable.

Todd
I'd agree on the turbo. Had to get a new car otherwise then Turbo would have been the best performance vs $$$

I specifically wanted this car though and after 3 months I don't regret my decision. This thing is wicked
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 09:51 PM   #83
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'd agree on the turbo. Had to get a new car otherwise then Turbo would have been the best performance vs $$$

I specifically wanted this car though and after 3 months I don't regret my decision. This thing is wicked
Enjoy that car every day...especially when you flatten the throttle and feel it on turn in...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #84
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

OP your car looks fantastic in all black.

Cayman GTS/GT4 and 911 GTS/GT3 are the only P-cars that appeal to me. The turbo cars do absolutely nothing for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:12 PM   #85
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Drove the GTS recently. It is unbelievable. Truly a masterpiece, and puts the 911 to shame IMO. One of the most engaging, visceral, and communicative cars I've driven in a long time. There is no comparison; either you need back seats or you buy a GTS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I could never dd a car this small or slow... great car but I completely dont get the point of cars like this on the street... at least w the M car you get to experience acceleration and tq on the daily, here you get handling that you won't use above an m4's on the street in any way... my opinion stands... for the street... turbo 911or bust
Nah. You obviously have not driven one. They are a blast to drive at high speed, low speed, everything. Having a sport DD means a lot more than just having a HP figure. Why didn't you go buy a Hellcat or something if that's what you're interested in?
      07-16-2015, 10:46 PM   #86
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ironically I just had a nice run with an M3. He pulled away until the fast sweeper came. The speed at which he disappeared into my rear view mirrors was shocking. This car shines in high speed sweepers. I can't explain. You just need to drive one
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #87
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
you bitch about this all the time......just sell your car and get an S2000. bloody hell...there's nothing worse than the sound of incessant whining.

i've driven several S2000s and hated the piss slow low-RPM characteristics.....couldn't bear to grind that thing out to 7k RPM everytime i wanted a laugh. If you drive 90% on a track, fine....otherwise---no thanks.

i've driven MANY Porsches on a street and track....they are great cars, but not 'untouchable' by any means. There are many great cars out there.....with different characteristics and benefits.
The only thing worse than whining is blind fanboyism and you've got it in spades if you can rave about your 1M but think S2000s and Porsches are nothing special. And like I said, I'm working on getting out of my 135i soon enough, but it wont be for an S2000 (can't stand verts). More likely going to be closer to what you see in the OP's post or another RX7.

I'm talking sports cars here, you obviously don't like sports cars so why bother throwing in your 2 cents?

Quote:
Yeah so your Rx7 and Honda are more "pure sports cars" than an M3, 1M, 135, M235 ( for new cars)? You have no clue. Also, not every Porsche is the same. In reality it's 911 s + or nothing. The batman may handle very well but it's not on another level that ANY of the above. As the M3 does everything very well and the 1m simply would won the Cayman from top to bottom. So it's a real "shame" BMW doesn't make a true "sports car" unless it's a Z.

Tell us why you're on this forum?
Oh lord
Like I said, middle aged men who've never driven anything other than a Camry before they got their Ferra-... I mean BMW.

Last edited by fcman; 07-17-2015 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #88
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

A whole lot of people would benefit from going out and test driving a Cayman and not just looking up its stats.
Appreciate 4