BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Sold the M4 for this.........

07-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #89
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I test drove one several years back and was underwhelmed but same thing happened with the e9x m3. I just knew from other reviews both are pretty stellar. Takes some more aggressive driving than test drive allows to really see.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #90
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
Like I said, middle aged men who've never driven anything other than a Camry before they got their Ferra-... I mean BMW.
Precisely. This forum is filled with them.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #91
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Nice car! I test drove one a couple of weeks ago right before I sold my 335i. I had it narrowed down between the cayman, M4 and c7 vette. C7 vette won for me, but then the cayman was #2

my new ride[IMG][/IMG]
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 3
      07-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #92
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

I love that C7! Could be the best bang for your buck out right now.

The Cayman is something that can't be appreciated with one short test drive. You have to own one to really understand the driving experience it leaves you with. It might not be the fastest, the biggest, the best looking, the most powerful or most luxious... but there is no denying that it could be the best overall package of driving and handling characteristics out the box.

The Boxster was my entry into the brand then I progressively moved up. Cayman, 911, Panamera 4S, Panamera Turbo, Cayenne GTS and the Cayenne Turbo. The Cayman still leaves me thinking that it is the best and purest Porsche out there for me.

Hope to see that thing around in Irvine!
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #93
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

First, OP, congrats: you made a swell choice. In response to the couple of haters saying 'too slow' or 'too small': it's easy for a manufacturer to make a modern car fast, it's hard for a manufacturer to make a modern car visceral and engaging. I'd have to +1 for the owner of the MINI R56 above. It's a shit box, but it's a hoot to drive.
Appreciate 3
      07-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #94
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
the only problem i see with that c7 is that you would have to sit in a chevy dealership every time you get it serviced.
      07-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #95
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

different strokes for different folks

I went from a 981CS to a C7 for 3 weeks, than back to ordering a CS since I liked it that much better

the whole crazy story is here:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...1139688&page=3
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #96
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB/SS M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
A whole lot of people would benefit from going out and test driving a Cayman and not just looking up its stats.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I test drove one several years back and was underwhelmed but same thing happened with the e9x m3. I just knew from other reviews both are pretty stellar. Takes some more aggressive driving than test drive allows to really see.
The car continues to impress me more and more on a daily basis. The power in the M4 was unusable (to me), so now that I have a usable and liner powerband, Im able to extract more out of the chassis and its a more exhilarating and visceral overall driving experience. Dare I call it Motoring Nirvana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefcg1 View Post
Nice car! I test drove one a couple of weeks ago right before I sold my 335i. I had it narrowed down between the cayman, M4 and c7 vette. C7 vette won for me, but then the cayman was #2

my new ride[IMG][/IMG]
Congrats on the purchase. I would have to agree that the C7 is the ultimate bang for the buck at the moment and considering the fact that the C7R has been cleaning house in International GT, that's a true testament to how far the car has come.

Enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
I love that C7! Could be the best bang for your buck out right now.

The Cayman is something that can't be appreciated with one short test drive. You have to own one to really understand the driving experience it leaves you with. It might not be the fastest, the biggest, the best looking, the most powerful or most luxious... but there is no denying that it could be the best overall package of driving and handling characteristics out the box.

The Boxster was my entry into the brand then I progressively moved up. Cayman, 911, Panamera 4S, Panamera Turbo, Cayenne GTS and the Cayenne Turbo. The Cayman still leaves me thinking that it is the best and purest Porsche out there for me.

Hope to see that thing around in Irvine!
Would be happy to meet up sometime and check out your car! I'm by Beckman HS and the Marketplace. Shoot me a PM and we can arrange something

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric@helix View Post
First, OP, congrats: you made a swell choice. In response to the couple of haters saying 'too slow' or 'too small': it's easy for a manufacturer to make a modern car fast, it's hard for a manufacturer to make a modern car visceral and engaging. I'd have to +1 for the owner of the MINI R56 above. It's a shit box, but it's a hoot to drive.
My R56 was a blast. Drove that slow shitbox to Vegas from Yorba Linda in the middle of the night. Only took me 2.5 hours to get there. Dont ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
different strokes for different folks

I went from a 981CS to a C7 for 3 weeks, than back to ordering a CS since I liked it that much better

the whole crazy story is here:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...1139688&page=3
I think I read your thread on Planet-9.

I think your situation validates this entire thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #97
aloksatoor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Carrera S PDK

I support your choice. Getting out of the 1 end of this year . Putting an order for a MY2016 CS. The last NA mid engine sports car you can buy (since its gonna be FI for porsche as well now).
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #98
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB/SS M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
I support your choice. Getting out of the 1 end of this year . Putting an order for a MY2016 CS. The last NA mid engine sports car you can buy (since its gonna be FI for porsche as well now).
Nailed it. Turbo might be faster, but it would be just like E46 vs F82 comparison.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #99
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Yeah, but most people are also poor so their thoughts don't matter.

There is no longer a "stigma" that surrounds Porsche. We're not in the 90s anymore...the brand has been diluted to oblivion so no one really cares. I don't notice any difference from others weather I'm driving my GF's GT3 or my Chevrolet or Nissan (which speaks volumes considering one is yellow and the others are white).
Hold up, you're GF drives a GT3?
      07-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #100
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMURFDADDY View Post
Nailed it. Turbo might be faster, but it would be just like E46 vs F82 comparison.
With one caveat, Porsche still does turbo engines better than anyone, I think. they are visceral, engaging and usable. Porsche won't just throw a car out there knowing it has traction issues (like BMW has done with every turbo M they've made).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #101
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
M cars are fantastic cars, but they are compromising for daily usability.
Why can't more people just get that!!?

I'd love a GTS but I can only have 1 car and the M4 makes a better DD so it's my choice for now. Oh and forget you guys sayings the M4 is not a sports car. The cayman is a BETTER sports car but the M4 is still a sports car you can throw around on a track in stock form and have a blast.

Also, if you've never driven a Porsche don't judge them. There's something about those cars that just can't be quantified, not just talking about the popular coupes but even the Panamera is a special car
      07-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #102
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Why can't more people just get that!!?

I'd love a GTS but I can only have 1 car and the M4 makes a better DD so it's my choice for now. Oh and forget you guys sayings the M4 is not a sports car. The cayman is a BETTER sports car but the M4 is still a sports car you can throw around on a track in stock form and have a blast.

Also, if you've never driven a Porsche don't judge them. There's something about those cars that just can't be quantified, not just talking about the popular coupes but even the Panamera is a special car
What about the M4 makes it a better daily driver? Do you feel its the way it basically makes power from 2500-5500 rpms in the M4 whereas the Porsche makes its power in a linear fashion and pulls hard from 3500 all the way up to redline?
I cannot imagine it's anything suspension or chassis relates because the way a 981 or 991 is damped and their suspension actually makes for a more comfortable ride. This is where the differences to me are vast (chassis, steering, etc) as well as the quality and overall feel of the way the car is actually put together.
Or is it possibly a bit more practicality?

I do agree, their cars truly are special in a way they I can only think of a couple other car makers can be said in the same breath. And it doe extend from top to the bottom of the line up.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 12:17 AM   #103
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfEightyM3 View Post
With one caveat, Porsche still does turbo engines better than anyone, I think. they are visceral, engaging and usable. Porsche won't just throw a car out there knowing it has traction issues (like BMW has done with every turbo M they've made).
You mean like the GT2?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 12:21 AM   #104
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What about the M4 makes it a better daily driver? Do you feel its the way it basically makes power from 2500-5500 rpms in the M4 whereas the Porsche makes its power in a linear fashion and pulls hard from 3500 all the way up to redline?
I cannot imagine it's anything suspension or chassis relates because the way a 981 or 991 is damped and their suspension actually makes for a more comfortable ride. This is where the differences to me are vast (chassis, steering, etc) as well as the quality and overall feel of the way the car is actually put together.
Or is it possibly a bit more practicality?

I do agree, their cars truly are special in a way they I can only think of a couple other car makers can be said in the same breath. And it doe extend from top to the bottom of the line up.
Well, it has a real trunk, real rear seats, better ground clearance, doesn't need 300+mm rear tires to get decent traction and of course the costs that go along with, you can actually get to the engine from the engine bay- there are all sorts of reasons why the M4 is a more practical car...

The M4 is a passenger car chassis modified to be a sports car, of course it's going to be a better DD, it's not rocket science. The porsche can be a decent DD, but it's not going to be as good in that regard obviously.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2015, 05:40 AM   #105
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
SMURFDADDY
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #106
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
You mean like the GT2?
GT2s really provide great traction. I've been lucky enough to drive both a GT2 and GT2 RS and didn't feel they were as traction compromised as my M3. I felt much more comfortable putting my foot down.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #107
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Well, it has a real trunk, real rear seats, better ground clearance, doesn't need 300+mm rear tires to get decent traction and of course the costs that go along with, you can actually get to the engine from the engine bay- there are all sorts of reasons why the M4 is a more practical car...

The M4 is a passenger car chassis modified to be a sports car, of course it's going to be a better DD, it's not rocket science. The porsche can be a decent DD, but it's not going to be as good in that regard obviously.
I would argue the M3 and M4 should have minimally 295 or 305 section rear tires to get decent traction. Most anyone who has one or driven one would conclude its severely under tired to say the least. One of the things I have come to see with Porsche is, if the tell you it can do something, say 200 mph, everything, the brakes, tires, etc can all do that. BMW, not the same.

As far as working on the car, that is really a moot point as that varies. Plenty of Porsche guys do their own maintenence.

Porsche makes quite a good DD in the 911 (much more sorted, comfortable suspension than the M3 or M4), and an unbelievable one in the Macan, Cayenne and Panamera models.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 08:20 AM   #108
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

I had to make the same choice, after owning a E46 M3 and a E92 M3, I was tired of the ever growing 3 series, I went for the the E82 1M and that is the best bimmer in almost 30 years I guess.
Had some doubt about the M4, yes the HP en torque numbers where appealing, but in the end the car is too big for my liking.

I have bought an Cayman GTS allongside, it is just just great driving fun, agile, fast and awesome looking.

The coming M2 is on my radar now.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 10:51 AM   #109
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

People are saying OPs car is too slow? TF is wrong with you.

I'm on my second Z4M Roadster right now, which is about the slowest car in a straight line I've owned in 20 years, and I wouldn't trade it for anything I've had in the past. 330hp is far more than is required for street driving, even the Z4M is way overpowered for what you need.

What good is 500+hp on roads where the max is 70mph?

Ehh, I must be starting to show my age haha.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #110
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I would argue the M3 and M4 should have minimally 295 or 305 section rear tires to get decent traction. Most anyone who has one or driven one would conclude its severely under tired to say the least. One of the things I have come to see with Porsche is, if the tell you it can do something, say 200 mph, everything, the brakes, tires, etc can all do that. BMW, not the same.

As far as working on the car, that is really a moot point as that varies. Plenty of Porsche guys do their own maintenence.

Porsche makes quite a good DD in the 911 (much more sorted, comfortable suspension than the M3 or M4), and an unbelievable one in the Macan, Cayenne and Panamera models.
No one is saying the cayman or a 911 can't be used as a DD, plenty of people do, but trying to claim it's as good of a DD as a car with a chassis designed to be a passenger car rather than a sports car is futile. The M4 is a passenger car modified/tuned for performance. That means it can do most everything those passenger cars can do, wheels/tires can easily be changed out for the seasons, you can put a bunch of groceries and large boxes in the trunk, you can take 3 of your friends around the block to the restaurant, pick up the kids from soccer practice (with their backpacks and soccer balls), crash protection from frontal and partial-frontal impacts is significantly better, the front bumper and fascia don't extend as far past the wheels (overhang), and so on. If you sit down and think about it, the list goes on for quite a while, and while the porsche's have "some" of these features, they are often no where near the same functionality. The porsche's are designed as sports cars from the beginning. This is also why they are not in the same performance category. If you throw enough money at an M4 GTS, etc, you can best a stock porsche, but if you throw more money at the porsche, you'll best anything you could ever do with the M4.

Who doesn't love porsches?

Arguing that they are as good of a DD as a passenger car? Come on...

Last edited by RM7; 07-19-2015 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 1