BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing I need HELP deciding.... PS3 or Xbox 360

05-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #23
g9sBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
ps3 owner
wii owner
[2007 328i|Black Sapphire|Terra Leather|6 MT|Xenon headlights|BMW Alarm|Clear Bra|Stainless Steel Pedal Pads|Black Line Tails|MTEC V3.0 Angel Eyes|HUPER OPTIK 30 Ceramic TINT|GPThunder Fogs|LED License Plate mod|Sport Shocks/Springs upgrade|ZHP Shift Knob|//M Dead Pedal|Matte Black Grill|Aluminum Strut Bar|Cyba Air Scoops|Rear Fog Switch|Perforated Mtech Wheel|Miro 935s|Hankook v12 evo Tires|BMW SSK]| BMW PE
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #24
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

I like having both, but if I had to let one go, it'd have to be the 360. Blu-Ray + GT5 are must haves.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #25
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
PS3 is the most technologically advanced, game selection is improving as are blu-ray movies. However, the 360 has more games and a better controller.
And the 360 has a much better online system that is seamlessly integrated into the console - unlike the awful PS3 effort.

Wii - great for kids/parties
360 for online gaming
PS3 for Bluray / GT5 & any other games that are not on the 360.
      06-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #26
bling_singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
And the 360 has a much better online system that is seamlessly integrated into the console - unlike the awful PS3 effort.

Wii - great for kids/parties
360 for online gaming
PS3 for Bluray / GT5 & any other games that are not on the 360.
Let me apologize ahead of time for the lengthy response.

The PS3 at launch wasn't the best console out there, but now it easily surpasses the 360. Online still isn't where it needs to be, but I haven't had a problem at all finding people in the COD4, Warhawk, GT5, GTA4, or MGO servers. The setup of the GTA4 and COD4 online is exactly the same, so it's hard to argue that the online setup is better on the 360.

Perhaps you mean the 360's ingame access to the dashboard is better. You're right, but even that is changing. Just yesterday there was a post on the Playstation Blog stating in game Cross Media Bar access, instant messaging, mp3 access, and trophy system is coming out very soon. I would be surprised if it isn't out within a month's time. It was all supposed to come out in time for MGS4, but it needed further debugging. They also stated there are some online features coming out soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Sony's slated online movie and music service. XBL is $50 a year to play, PSN is free. Yes you can argue that XBL is better, but one can also argue that PSN is very quickly closing that gap.....and it's still free.

I'm surprised the RROD debate hasn't been brought up yet. Yes the 360 has better games currently, but what's the point if your console has been mailed in for repairs? Even if it's not, all my friends with the 360 have to pace themselves while they play so that the console doesn't overheat on them. On the PS3 last week I spent an 8hour marathon playing Metal Gear followed immediately with some BluRay play. The 360, despite Microsoft's $1.5billion recall program is still grossly unreliable. The problem was in design, not in construction. The GPU is located right below the DVD drive and it's hard for airflow to completely get rid of all the residual heat. This causes warping of the circuit board and solder to crack. Even then Microsoft has really dragged its heels in improving the design, and forced quality control upon the marketplace. In the 2.5 years the 360 has been on the marketplace, the chipset has only reduced in size once (90nm to 65nm). In the 1.5 years the PS3 has been on the market, it has reduced it's chipset twice (90nm to 65nm and now 45nm chipset in production) Smaller chipsets mean less energy is consumed, less heat is generated, and there is more breathing space to improve reliability.

Also, MS was so cheap in building the console they decided to remove rubber footings in the disc drive that cost mere pennies each. The end result? Don't even touch your console while a disc is in there or risk scratching the disc. MS is a great software company, but the hardware sucks. The 360 only highlights that fact. XBox 360 failure rates were well over 30 percent, new architectures have dropped it, but not to reasonable levels. PS3 failure rates are below 1%. With a life cycle of 5-7 years, (as opposed to the PS3's 10 year life cycle) the 360 is just about halfway through its lifespan in terms of 1st party and 3rd party support. Sony is a great hardware company but they're boneheaded about their intellectual properties. Just look at MiniDisc, SonicGate, and UMD. But when it came to spearheading DVD and BluRay they were bang-on the money. Even though VHS became the standard for home entertainment, in video production studios, the standard was BetaMax. It was after all the better technology.

Comparing GRiD to GT5 really is a pointless argument. If you've played both (GRiD and Prologue) you'd know. GT5 is a simulator, GRiD is a racer. If you look at the selection of cars and tracks in GRiD, you're pretty much getting ripped off. Yes GRiD has damage, but it's nowhere near the game GT5 will be in terms of depth and quality. Microsoft's response? Forza 3....400 cars, 100 tracks, but two DVDs. More and more games are coming out on the 360 on multiple discs. Even then, GT5 is rumored to have damge, and GTTV will mean having car-related tv shows streamed to the console through the game, including Top Gear.

As for EA sports games, yes EA completely dropped the ball on the PS3 version of Madden 08. 30 frames per second with that rate dropping quite freqently, as opposed to the 360's slick 60fps. EA promised that starting with FIFA08 every EA sports game for the PS3 would be running at 60fps, and so far they've been true to their word.

Comparing the consoles in November 2007, when the PS3 was launched, the 360 was the best console, after all it had a one year headstart on the competition to drum up third party support. The programming logic for the 360 is also the defacto standard, which makes it easier and cheaper to produce games for it. The only problem is that the major gains in that logic have already been used, what you see now with the 360 is as good as it's gonna get. Just look at Mass Effect....probably the best game on the 360. Great game, but everything had to be compressed to the nth degree to make it all fit on one 9gb disc. With the PS3, using parallel logic is a new way of thinking for game developers. Devs are still learning how to exploit the console, and there is still a lot of room for improvement. Yes the PS3 has a 256mb GPU as opposed to the 360's 512, but the 7 parallel Cells are there to offset that. If the Cells do all the heavy work, which is what devs are trying to learn, you don't need a big GPU. The problem with the PS3 at launch was that many developers were still comfortable with the programming logic for the 360, they developed games for the PS3 using only one or two of the 7 Cells along with the smaller GPU.

Now things have changed, Sony has been royally humbled in the past year but that also means they have changed their approach to developer support, sharing all of their know how with 3rd party devs to pave the way for better games on their console. And on top of it, you have the BluRay to boot. Yes it's another Sony proprietary format, but when Kojima figured the standard 25GB BluRay disc wasn't going to be enough, he opted for a 50GB dual layer. On top of that, IIRC Samsung has just released info that they've got 100GB and 200GB BluRay Discs working, and that the 100GB discs will work with any BluRay player currently on the market, including the PS3. The PS3 just has better hardware support. Sony just didn't box a console and ship it off. The constant firmware updates make sure it will stay relevant in the future. On launch, the PS3 couldn't support all the formats for uncompressed, lossless/HD audio. Now it can. The 360 can't. For home theatre junkies, this is big. DTS-HD Master and Dolby TrueHD are huge.

Then there's also the media server capabilities on top via DLNA. I can access all my videos, images, and MP3s off my PC via my PS3. All you have to do is set up a DLNA client on the PC which is built in Windows Media Player. For the 360? You have to have the Media Center edition of Windows. As for games, the 3rd party gap is just about closed. Look at first party development. Sony Computer Entertainment is the largest first party developer around.....it's bigger than that of Nintendo. It has a better range of exclusive titles than the 360.

I could go on, but I won't. I wasn't a Sony fanboy before.....when it comes to electronics I always look to the 3Ps first (Pioneer, Panasonic, and Philips) But when it came time to research my next gen console purchase I went in depth, got carried away, and surface on the other side with a PS3. Make that 4Ps.

Last edited by bling_singh; 06-18-2008 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #27
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

the ps3 is as better console imo but more people have the 360, it has killer online play, and there are more exclusives (metal gear and GT 5 are ps3 only and are crazy games tho)
      06-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #28
e92leon
我的車車有Turbo&!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 빠른차

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
2006 RX-8 (SE3P)  [0.00]
I've always viewed Xbox360 as THE ULTIMATE SPORT GAME CONSOLE (seriously)
and PS3 (everything else)
      06-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #29
quest556
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i x-Drive

Just get both, that's what I did
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #30
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
I read the full response singh - must have taken some time eh? Thanks though. I have both 360 and PS3 and owned a wii before so my opinion is still the same. No problems with elites overheating as yet but fair point on the 3 rrod - you also forgot to mention that the 360 is as loud as hell compared to the ps3.
      06-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #31
bling_singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by news 4 u View Post
the ps3 is as better console imo but more people have the 360, it has killer online play, and there are more exclusives (metal gear and GT 5 are ps3 only and are crazy games tho)
gotta disagree with you there. Off the top of my head the key exclusives the 360 has are (feel free to add more). * indicates titles in development:

Ninja Gaiden 2
Halo 3
Halo Wars*
Mass Effect
Lost Odyssey
Gears of War 1(though Gears3 will be on the PS3)
Gears of War 2*
Project Gotham Racing
Forza 3*
Star Ocean 4*
Fable II

On the PS3:

God of War 3*
Final Fantasy 13*
Final Fantasy 13 Versus*
Metal Gear Solid 4
Gran Turismo 5*
MLB: The Show (hands down the best baseball game available)
Uncharted
MotorStorm 2*
Little Big Planet*
Formula 1
Resistance Fall of Man 1
Resistance Fall of Man 2*
Ratchet and Clank
Killzone 2*
an exclusive, yet unnamed, from RockStar* -- makers of GTA

Gotta give MS credit for stepping up to the plate and going after the Japanese RPGs, though the crown jewel -- and real moneymaker -- amongst JRPGs is still a PS3 exclusive. Sony seems to be making a move, probably by motivated profits from microtransactions, towards MMORPGs (The Agency*, and others from Square Enix* and BioWare* in development).

2007 was one of the best years in video gaming, and some of the best titles, Bioshock (no longer exclusive) and Mass Effect were on the 360. The best game of the year, Call of Duty 4 was on both consoles, and the better version was the one on the PS3 (same in terms of content, but the PS3 version had the graphical edge). Even with Grand Theft Auto 4, despite the PS3 version running at a lower resolution, had better shading and lighting techniques that made it the better looking game. It also suffered from less pop-in issues, as the install file accommodated faster loading in-game.

Man my posts on this are getting a bit too lengthy. I'm not the kinda guy that will just throw $70 down on a game and buy it without taking some time to research my purchase. It's the same reason I joined the forums.....research the car I want to buy thoroughly before buying it.

edit - here's a link to a quite thorough list of PS3 exclusives that have been made, are in development, or slated as future projects. also shows some 360 exlusives that made their way to PS3 and vice versa.

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=86124

Last edited by bling_singh; 06-18-2008 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #32
DiXiS 18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

360FTMFW
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #33
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

depends what your preferences are. the ps3 is literally the gaming console of the future. alot of the games right now are made for the xbox360 and then ported and changed some codes so that it runs on the ps3, like nba games and others, but it is still using the xbox360 video codecs so the video quality of some games may be worse than expected. but games like final fantasy will be great for it since its made for playstation.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #34
White e90
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

I have both and they are both great!!!..but for you I got to go with the XBOX 360...you'll love the online experience and the sport titles to go with it..but looking to the future the PS3 is going to dominate in every category almost because of the potential that just hasn't been totally unlocked..but by that time maybe you can run it by your wife again and pick one up for probably cheaper than it is now...360...go get one!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #35
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
xbox360 $199
PS3 $399
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #36
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

i have both...i have 1 game for ps3 and about 12 for the 360...

i like my 360 better
      11-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #37
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

360+mods=ftw
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 05:52 AM   #38
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

PS3 (I have both, but mostly play PS3.)

It's a better machine overall...
-Blu-Ray: their movies/quality is significantly better... BUT with Sony can pack up to 50gigs per blu-ray disc, so PS3 games can have a significant amount MORE data/gameplay per disc.

-Aside from blu-ray movies, it also reads USB drives, and plays divx files. So you can download stuff online, transfer it via USB drive to your PS3 and watch it on tv. (Great if you download a lot of tv/movies/etc..)

-Free online play... it's a bit of a trade off. Xbox has the superior online interface and all, but you have to pay for it. So in a year, or whatever when the new system excitement has worn off, and you only play once a week or even once a month, you're probably not going to be paying for xbox live anymore. Where as a PS3, you can always just pick it up and play online without having to worry about maintaining any subscriptions.

*I'd say go with an xbox if you don't own a computer, or have never played computer games... cause that's who it's for IMO. Most of Xbox's big games are FPS, or FPS related and playing games like that with a controller is like a monkey fucking a football. (Same is true for PS3's shitty fps as well... FPS and similar games are not meant for consoles, but most people don't have good computers, or any experience playing games on them, so they don't know any better.)
      11-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #39
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #40
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I only have the PS3.

My conclusion is... if you want to play with friends online get the 360. More people have it. If you want to just enjoy a games story and graphics get the PS3. I have never been a online console player, if I play online its via computer. So my console playing is purely singleplayer, and as such I value graphics more. I honestly couldn't care less about online console playing. I never got it, and its just not my bag.

The PS3 having blu-ray seals the deal.
      11-11-2008, 04:16 PM   #41
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
The PS3 having blu-ray seals the deal.
+1...blu-ray FTW
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #42
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Get the 360, ps3 is a joke.
      11-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #43
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
-Free online play... it's a bit of a trade off. Xbox has the superior online interface and all, but you have to pay for it. So in a year, or whatever when the new system excitement has worn off, and you only play once a week or even once a month, you're probably not going to be paying for xbox live anymore. Where as a PS3, you can always just pick it up and play online without having to worry about maintaining any subscriptions.
It's $60 a year...that's like 8-10 meals. Not that pricey.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #44
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
Get the 360, ps3 is a joke.
you crazy
Appreciate 0