BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Drinking too much gets harder as you age

12-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #23
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
You're not really an Aussie then.....
That’s just nasty!
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      12-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #24
adc100
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
This goes without saying... But ALWAYS Drink Well. General rule of thumb: $40 per bottle and above will generally yield less of a hangover.
Well you won't get one on The Famous Grouse Blended Scotch. Well under that price
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      12-16-2019, 04:52 AM   #25
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I never got into it. I was always into the gym and boxing...it never appealed to me.

I did have a few too many one time when out with friends, and didn't like the buzz it gave me. Plus my grandfather died at the age of 50 from alcohol. He was the type of person that if he didn't have anything to drink, he would filter the alcohol out of other products. Destroyed his liver.

When I became "legal", I did some social drinking when I was out with clients, but never had more than 1-2 beers, and always preferred the dark bitter brands.

But about 15 years ago..I developed some kind of allergy to the Hops or something as one beer would stop my sinuses up for 2-3 days. So I just stopped. My wife and daughter both drink wine though....so it's not like I think I am above it.

I have never tried weed either. Guess I have lived a pretty boring life in those aspects.
      12-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #26
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I've never really drank. I'll have one or two when at a party or social situation, or relaxing with a female.

I get frequent migraines and feel shitty for enough days out of the year that I don't need hangovers or other crap just from drinking.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2019, 08:15 AM   #27
scootr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 3.0 6MT

Being an alcoholic is a phase you grow out of or die from.
The struggle to make the choice is real - your body is giving you a hint.
Accept sobriety. It beats the alternative.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 08:32 AM   #28
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

I stopped drinking 7 years ago. Not alcoholic or anything, I just made the decision as a matter of good health. I also stopped smoking cigars, started running, etc. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2019, 08:32 AM   #29
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr View Post
Being an alcoholic is a phase you grow out of or die from.
The struggle to make the choice is real - your body is giving you a hint.
Accept sobriety. It beats the alternative.
I’m going to disagree with your word choice, specifically “a phase you grow out of”. I agree if you don’t overcome alcoholism, it will kill you. But you don’t grow out of it and it isn’t a phase. It is an addiction and you have to actively work, sometimes very hard, to overcome it.

I used to think all heavy drinkers were alcoholics, then I met some real alcoholics. The heavies could stop and did, no problem. The alcoholics could not stop, became day drinkers and 24/7 drinkers. One is buried, and another quit after fighting it (I can still drink, I can control it, etc) and is now doing fine.

Myself, I’ve cut way back in support of my friends who are overcoming addiction - it doesn’t help them a bit to see me enjoy a drink, and as I’ve aged my enjoyment of alcohol has diminished substantially anyway, so it isn’t a sacrifice.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #30
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

This thread is getting too deep haha. I drink, have for years. Don't have a problem and I am pretty obsessed with health, you can go over to the gym forum an see for yourself.

Just gotta have a little self control. Hangovers are most prominently caused by dehydration. Whenever I get home from a night out I always pound water and keep some next to the bed as I usually wake up pretty parched. Roll out of bed, pound more water, then off to the gym to sweat it out.
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      12-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #31
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Yes, just polished off a bottle of wine last night myself with two steaks (also just for myself) and a very healthy double pour of Baileys on ice after.

Felt a little dehydrated this morning and have been drinking water a fair bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #32
oVeRdOsE.
Major
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Unfortunately, I got form '' get a 24 into a party looks cool'' to ''you're a dumb fck redneck with 3 beer in a party''.

My friends were med/heavy drinkers, and after university, we all got a job, kids, and suddenly they became ''adults''. way too fast imo.

But yeah, heavy drinking and be in shape the next (same) morning, ended @ 28 yo on my side.

For now on, I'm on coors light and its alll good.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #33
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quick glance I thought the title of this thread read, “Drinking too much gets you harder as you age.”
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #34
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Yea, those days are over.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #35
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
I can still drink like a fish and be good to go the next day as long as I get 5 hours of sleep. I think wine or shots mixed in with other drinks give me the worst actual hangovers.

But I can drink a nice scotch or tons of beers in a night and not feel like death the next day in most cases.

I also don't drink like that very often and when I do I definitely don't want to drink again the next day lol.
      12-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #36
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Dont worry guys, i have cracked the code.

at 32, i finally have a routine that gets me plastered drunk and leaves me feeling not so bad the morning after (or at least feeling normal). The secret is to get plastered drunk more times than not throughout the week so your hangover is normal. Problem solved.

In all seriousness though, I have been able to counteract hangovers pretty well over the last few years by following a few simple steps.
Step 1 - Good liqour. Shitty liquor = shitty hangover.
Step 2 - Pound Bud Lights before passing out for the night. All that extra water really helps
Step 3 - Pound another Bud Light during that middle of the night piss from all the other bud lights. Gets you kinda hydrated and keeps you slowly coming down. Also pound a glass of water if you can at this time.
Step 4 - Wake up, glasses of water and excedrin. Maybe a shot or 2 of whatever liquor you were drinking the night before if youre up for it.

These last couple weeks been heavy drinking weeks with all the holiday parties happening and this method really helps get me through the next day of work when im out till who knows when and then in the office by 6. Although i must have developed an allergy to vodka cause the last 2 nights of heavy vodka (a bottle of titos one night and a bottle of local stuff the other) and Ive woken up in the middle of the night with a swollen throat.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #37
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Entirely dependent on the booze for me. I love vodka, but one good vodka martini will lay me out all the next day. I just can't do vodka. Scotch/whiskey/rum, I'm ok for 3 good measures (ahem, generous measures). Add a 4th and I battle a light hangover the next day. Tequila in a mixed drink like a good 'Rita? I can drink and drink and drink. Usually it's the mix and limes that mess with me (heartburn). When I drink beer, it's IPA, so that's self-limiting because I just get too full to drink any more. Usually 3 or 4 at most.

I can't say that hangovers are worse now than when I was young because I just don't let myself get to the hangover point any more. IOW, I haven't been to the point of spins/barfing/passing out in decades. Many decades. That's stuff is for youngsters.
youre not partying if youre not puking.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #38
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Yes, just polished off a bottle of wine last night myself with two steaks (also just for myself) and a very healthy double pour of Baileys on ice after.

i just had a gout flair up from reading this post.

Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      12-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #39
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
youre not partying if youre not puking.
Tru dat. Exactly why partying is a thing of the past for me.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #40
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
What in the serious F*** is going on with folks simply Changing Titles of Threads at will??? I mean seriously?
Is this Middle School??? Can we NOT express ourselves within the general forum rules without certain individuals for whatever personal reasons, modifying what we as adults and veteran members here have to say.

What exactly was wrong with what my original title read:

"The Struggle Is REAL"???
I was hoping someone would post what the title was, and it was pure click bait. I expect that from the national inquirer, but not from you. Not from you.

I find drinking to be enjoyable and if you drink enough water to stay hydrated the hangovers don't really get much worse. Now talk to me about playing 2-3 soccer games in the span of 2 days.... sore for half a week.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #41
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
My butt is dragging like an old tired dog/ UncleWede and having to do another party tonight after typing this crap.
Sorry, I was hung over. Friday night was a party for one of my dad's service clubs. 3 Makers/diet, then a shot of Baileys for the coffee/dessert. Then we retired to the bar where I had a couple Jack Rye neat, then we crashed one of the other rooms and put the hurt on the dance floor for about 15 minutes before somebody's slipper fell off and we all had to leave the ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post

Saturday night we went to a Texas de Brazil for dinner. I had a few Old Fashioned with Crown. They offered me a glass of water at the table and I initially declined. After my cold plate of cheeses and asparagus, along with some items I couldn't really identify covered in bacon, commence the meat-ing!! After the Parmesan chicken, bacon-wrapped filet, and some sort of sausage, I conceded to the glass of water. Followed by lobster bisque, several slices of sirloin, lamb chop, leg of lamb slice, and plain filet, I forked in some garlic mashed and then drank my wife's water as well. I woke around 2, not the normal to pee, but because my mouth was so dry I needed a full 16oz bottle of water.
Asparagus pee, ugggggg!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #42
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Sorry, I was hung over. Friday night was a party for one of my dad's service clubs. 3 Makers/diet, then a shot of Baileys for the coffee/dessert. Then we retired to the bar where I had a couple Jack Rye neat, then we crashed one of the other rooms and put the hurt on the dance floor for about 15 minutes before somebody's slipper fell off and we all had to leave the ball

Saturday night we went to a Texas de Brazil for dinner. I had a few Old Fashioned with Crown. They offered me a glass of water at the table and I initially declined. After my cold plate of cheeses and asparagus, along with some items I couldn't really identify covered in bacon, commence the meat-ing!! After the Parmesan chicken, bacon-wrapped filet, and some sort of sausage, I conceded to the glass of water. Followed by lobster bisque, several slices of sirloin, lamb chop, leg of lamb slice, and plain filet, I forked in some garlic mashed and then drank my wife's water as well. I woke around 2, not the normal to pee, but because my mouth was so dry I needed a full 16oz bottle of water.
Asparagus pee, ugggggg!!!!
Did you get the Meat Sweats? It's a real thing when you go to one of these places.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      12-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #43
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Did you get the Meat Sweats? It's a real thing when you go to one of these places.
Meat sweats is definitely a thing lol. I had a 1kg steak down in Rivera Maya during vacation last May, my fiance can attest that it is real lmao
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
Rmtt8206.00
      12-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #44
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

And this out of Australia......

'
Attached Images

Appreciate 0