BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Anyone been to Chamonix France to ski/snowboard?

02-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #23
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@EuroJerks View Post
Now THAT is skiing/snowboarding!!!
Thanks. The alps makes any west coast mountain feel like someones backyard
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #24
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
I was there back in 1993 skiing with my family. It was amazing. I grew up skiing in VT and it was like I was a kid in a candy store with all the terrain and wide open space.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #25
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Would be interested in your thoughts on how it compares with Whistler BC, if you've been. I rode the lift up at Whistler with an Italian guy who preferred Whistler to Chamonix. I specifically asked about Chamonix because my van is the "Chamonix Edition". The 7 mile long Peak to Creek run at Whistler is tough to beat.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #26
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Its easy to navigate everywhere in EU. There are buses that take you to ski resorts too. Chamonix is pretty close to airport too.
I've skied 3 valleys and stayed in Courchevel. Its bigger then other villages, but Val Thorens has very good and new resort, I would go there if you are not on budget

There are many other places in France to ski, equally good I would say.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #27
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Would be interested in your thoughts on how it compares with Whistler BC, if you've been. I rode the lift up at Whistler with an Italian guy who preferred Whistler to Chamonix. I specifically asked about Chamonix because my van is the "Chamonix Edition". The 7 mile long Peak to Creek run at Whistler is tough to beat.
Whistler is my all time favorite mountain in north america.
Flegere- Brevent just like whistler has a gondola that connects both mountains.
Chamonix imo has more off piste skiing than whistler. The vertical drops are more severe in chamonix as well.

I liked Grand Montets the best but was not able to go to the summit due to gondola fire that happened 2 years ago. But if you stay in the chamonix area(I stayed at les houches), italy and swiss are very close. France side is much cheaper too than swiss.

Longest run I've had was in Verbier from the top of mont fort down to base lodge. Took me 30-40 mins and I was going pretty fast. Just careful of the cliffs and rocky areas.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      02-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #28
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

DETRoadster
I forgot to mention if do go back I won't be going back to chamonix but rather go to courchevel 3 vallees and redo verbier 4 vallees again(mountain is so massive you wouldn't cover everything even in 5 days)

Chamonix is more geared toward alpine skiing which for a snowboarder like me really didn't enjoy the big moguls and steep descent from the summit.
If your big into off-piste skiing there is run called vallee blanch in chamonix. You need a guide to get down. Watch youtube videos and you'll be in awe. That run is terrible for snowboarders for theres many flat spots and traversing.

Last edited by R3dliner; 02-11-2020 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      02-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #29
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Its easy to navigate everywhere in EU. There are buses that take you to ski resorts too. Chamonix is pretty close to airport too.
I've skied 3 valleys and stayed in Courchevel. Its bigger then other villages, but Val Thorens has very good and new resort, I would go there if you are not on budget

There are many other places in France to ski, equally good I would say.
Finding parking was a breeze. I would not recommend taking a bus. I would see lines of people waiting.

Courchevel 3 vallees is definitely something I would go back and check out. More interested in Val thorns than meribel or courchevel
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 03:15 PM   #30
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Finding parking was a breeze. I would not recommend taking a bus. I would see lines of people waiting.

Courchevel 3 vallees is definitely something I would go back and check out. More interested in Val thorns than meribel or courchevel
I took many busses, never had issues. You buy ticket online and just show up on time, busses there run like Swiss watch. When you rent a car, might wanna pay extra for chains or snow tires, if there is heavy snow, they will not let you up. I think last time we bought some chains in USA, then returned

Always used this btw https://www.altibus.com/

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 02-11-2020 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #31
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
DETRoadster
I forgot to mention if do go back I won't be going back to chamonix but rather go to courchevel 3 vallees and redo verbier 4 vallees again(mountain is so massive you wouldn't cover everything even in 5 days)

Chamonix is more geared toward alpine skiing which for a snowboarder like me really didn't enjoy the big moguls and steep descent from the summit.
If your big into off-piste skiing there is run called vallee blanch in chamonix. You need a guide to get down. Watch youtube videos and you'll be in awe. That run is terrible for snowboarders for theres many flat spots and traversing.
Thanks! I ski and my wife snowboards. We both prefer nice rolling slopes where you can F around and casually have fun. The ultra steep slopes and moguls are not really fun for us. We can do them if needed but it's not what we seek out.
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      02-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #32
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

I also skied 3 vallees but stayed in Val Thorens. It was awesome.. we ended up getting cheap accommodations for a small condo from an online agency and ski tix were cheap.. i believe $60 a day.. VT is a party town at least during the time we went but had a blast.. definitely blows local resorts here in the USA at $180+.. since we booked in advance flight wasnt bad either.. fly direct from LAX to Geneva and then caught a van transfer for 5 of us for about 200E. We spent one night in Geneva on the way in and on the way back.. i would say that was the most expensive part of the trip..

Definitely looking forward to going back there again sometime.

This is the view on top of Meribel, trying to find out way back to VT.

This is a spot my brother proposed to his wife overlooking VT..

Last edited by hybrid_eg; 02-14-2020 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      02-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #33
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
I've had some good tips from members on here on ski locations. Looking for suggestions on getting there.

I have the choice of flying into paris(much cheaper flights) than flying into Geneva.

For those who have rented a car, how difficult is it to navigate the roads. Is it worth the hassle or taking a train a better route.

Lastly, if anyone's also been to Val thorns or courchevel, give me your opinion on both locations. Thanks for reading.
I haven't been but I have friends that love skiing and go regularly. As far as driving goes, if you have driven in Europe before - you'll be fine. Depending on where you're coming from and the time of the year, there are some nice roads to be enjoyed.

And as others have already pointed out, bring money.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #34
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
I also skied 3 vallees but stayed in Val Thorens. It was awesome.. we ended up getting cheap accommodations for a small condo from an online agency and ski tix were cheap.. i believe $60 a day.. VT is a party town at least during the time we went but had a blast.. definitely blows local resorts here in the USA at $180+.. since we booked in advance flight wasnt bad either.. fly direct from LAX to Zurich and then caught a van transfer for 5 of us for about 200E. We spent one night in Zurich on the way in and on the way back.. i would say that was the most expensive part of the trip..

Definitely looking forward to going back there again sometime.

This is the view on top of Meribel, trying to find out way back to VT.

This is a spot my brother proposed to his wife overlooking VT..
Val thorns is absolutely beautiful. Which valley did you like the best? Ski or snowboarder? (edit: nvm saw your ski boots)
Were you able to cover all 3 valley's? How long did it take?

Also it's just US ski resorts that are expensive as hell. France, Italy, Swiss were all in the 60-70 euro per day.

Last edited by R3dliner; 02-14-2020 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #35
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_g View Post
I haven't been but I have friends that love skiing and go regularly. As far as driving goes, if you have driven in Europe before - you'll be fine. Depending on where you're coming from and the time of the year, there are some nice roads to be enjoyed.

And as others have already pointed out, bring money.
thanks but I posted up my update from trip. Thanks for looking.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:38 AM   #36
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Made some stills from my videos
Summit of verbier 4 Vallées mont fort at 10925 ft
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #37
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
thanks but I posted up my update from trip. Thanks for looking.
Sorry, didn't see it. Just got back from my vacation too - still re-calibrating.

Glad you had a good time, looks really fun.
I will be going to Courchevel next year but I'm not much of a skier.
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      02-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #38
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_g View Post
Sorry, didn't see it. Just got back from my vacation too - still re-calibrating.

Glad you had a good time, looks really fun.
I will be going to Courchevel next year but I'm not much of a skier.
One thing I did like about chamonix is that there is a lot of activities to do if you do not want to ride. There's a cable car that goes to Aguilar di midi(highest point in the chamonix area right in front of mont blanc. It's set up like a museum. This cable car also extends to the courmeyour italy side which you can scope out the nice little town area. Nightlife in chamonix is really amazing with good food.

Not sure if courchevel has any off ski activities.
Appreciate 1
xander_g962.50
      02-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #39
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

Quote:
Val thorns is absolutely beautiful. Which valley did you like the best? Ski or snowboarder? (edit: nvm saw your ski boots)
Were you able to cover all 3 valley's? How long did it take?

Also it's just US ski resorts that are expensive as hell. France, Italy, Swiss were all in the 60-70 euro per day.

that person in the photo is my brother and we are both skiers.. we had accommodations for 5 days and for 2 days they had major snow storms so everything was shut down while they blasted avalanche control.. finally when it cleared up we were able to explore around VT and that one day two us ventured to Maribel.. 3 valles is so big by the time we got there taking all the chairs etc to get there and did a few runs it was time to head back to VT otherwise we wouldn't make it back in time.. next time i'm definitely staying 7 days or more.. EU resorts really make the US resorts look like a joke, which is said given the prices we pay for lift tickets here and the lines we have to sit in, ridiculous. Once my kids are older i'm hoping to be making more of these EU ski trips and will not waste time with domestic resorts..
Appreciate 2
R3dliner934.50
OrcaPod73.50
      02-16-2020, 10:09 AM   #40
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

^ I stopped skiing in USA since like 2006. Makes no sense when I can ski in Apls for same price if not cheaper. And I usually go to all-inclusive resorts
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 04:40 PM   #41
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I have always wanted to ski over in Europe so this gives me some things to consider for next winter. We were in Whistler after Christmas through New Years and I loved the town and both mountains. They didn't have the normal amount of snow so the top was closed but was able to ski 7th heaven which was still pretty rocky in areas. I definitely want to go back when they have a better base.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:12 AM   #42
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
I have always wanted to ski over in Europe so this gives me some things to consider for next winter. We were in Whistler after Christmas through New Years and I loved the town and both mountains. They didn't have the normal amount of snow so the top was closed but was able to ski 7th heaven which was still pretty rocky in areas. I definitely want to go back when they have a better base.
Can't go wrong with whistler.
The town of chamonix does resemble whistle somewhat. If you have kids, chamonix is ideal due to a lot of non ski activities. Also a predominantly ski mountain.

For boarders like me I would choose courchevel 3 vallees france, verbier 4 vallees Switzerland, Zermatt(haven't been but heard only good things), and lastly St Anton in austria(worlds longest chair lift connection in all valleys).
Appreciate 0