BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing Wow - the new MS Flight Simulator 2020 is impressive

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
BMWGUYinCO
Enlisted Member
349
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M550
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Wow - the new MS Flight Simulator 2020 is impressive

Been playing the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - I find the rendering engine, along with cloud based AI to generate scenery pretty impressive.

The weather effects are awesome - especially clouds and lighting.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 04:35 AM   #2
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Dang3r's Avatar
Germany
5006
Rep
1,663
Posts

Drives: M4CPC
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Liandri Central Core

iTrader: (0)

Which type do you playing, the arcade one for the consoleros or the real deal for the one and only PC?
__________________
M4CP - ZX12R LE - GPZ750 Turbo

I///M the infidel, your BMW-dealer had warned you about
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:14 AM   #3
BMWGUYinCO
Enlisted Member
349
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M550
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Which type do you playing, the arcade one for the consoleros or the real deal for the one and only PC?
For me - it's a PC setup all the way. I mostly fly DCS in VR using the Oculus Rift S, sadly FlightSimulator 2020 does not (yet) support VR - but I hear it will with a forthcoming patch.

Specs for reference:

Intel I9-9900K OC'd to 5.1Ghz
32GB RAM
4TB Nvme m.2 SSD
EVGA Nvidia GeForce 2080Ti Ultra Hybrid water cooled
Alienware 34" monitor

Peripherals:
Oculus Rift S
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS with the F18 stick add-on
Saitek Pro Pedals

Logitech MOMO steering wheels & pedals

I also do some car racing sims (all in VR!) - it's a bit of a pain to swap the peripheral hardware around though...
Appreciate 1
Dang3r5005.50

      08-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #4
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
Ric in RVA's Avatar
United_States
838
Rep
987
Posts

Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Richmond VA

iTrader: (1)

Bought yesterday and have been messing with it. The reflections of your world in the gauges is surreal....
__________________
Ric in RVA

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 10 Land Rover LR4, 2011 528i N52, 18 F150 Platinum, Sequoia, a few motorcycles.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
Merlin_83
Merlin
Merlin_83's Avatar
United_States
260
Rep
607
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW M3 6MT w/ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Wow, I have been out of the flight sim scene for a while, for me, I was heavily into Level D 767, before that it was PIC 767. I used to connect to the Vatsim server and that was a lot of fun. I did many, as real as possible SID's and STAR's through the very realistic FMS on the Level-D 767. Countless add-ons, such as scenery, AI traffic, etc.

I am seriously thinking of getting back into it though. DCS or Prepar3D looks interesting, but maybe more 'gamey' or arcade-like. For me, I want real as possible physics and actual situational conditions.

BTW- have you guys seen these throttle quadrants? https://flyhoneycomb.com/

Cheers,
Merlin
__________________


2012 BMW M3|ZCP|6MT|Navi|Cold Weather Package |Premium Package|
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
9M71
Major
1027
Rep
1,031
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

I've been watching a lot of airforceproud95 on youtube and for that very reason, want to build a PC for flight simulator. The specs needed to run MS Flight simulator 2020 are insane though
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #7
BMWGUYinCO
Enlisted Member
349
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M550
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_83 View Post
Wow, I have been out of the flight sim scene for a while, for me, I was heavily into Level D 767, before that it was PIC 767. I used to connect to the Vatsim server and that was a lot of fun. I did many, as real as possible SID's and STAR's through the very realistic FMS on the Level-D 767. Countless add-ons, such as scenery, AI traffic, etc.

I am seriously thinking of getting back into it though. DCS or Prepar3D looks interesting, but maybe more 'gamey' or arcade-like. For me, I want real as possible physics and actual situational conditions.

BTW- have you guys seen these throttle quadrants? https://flyhoneycomb.com/

Cheers,
Merlin
Hi Merlin,
In all fairness, you are mistaken about DCS; far from being gamey or arcade like - DCS prides itself on absolute realism and the learning curve for mastering aircraft and weapons systems is steep. Of course, you need to be interested in combat systems - it is not a civilian flight simulator.

For some examples of tutorials for various aircraft, have a look at Matt Wagner's YouTube page here: https://www.youtube.com/c/MattWagner/videos

Look for tutorials on specific systems.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #8
BMWGUYinCO
Enlisted Member
349
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M550
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
I've been watching a lot of airforceproud95 on youtube and for that very reason, want to build a PC for flight simulator. The specs needed to run MS Flight simulator 2020 are insane though
Hey 9M71,

I am not running FL2020 in true 4K simply because my monitor is not native 4K resolution - it is 3440x1440 but all of my settings are on "Ultra" and I get very good performance. See my specs in my original post though...I wouldn't quite consider them insane, especially with the imminent release of the new 3090 line of graphics cards next month as well as the new Intel 10xxx series CPU.
Appreciate 1
9M711026.50

      08-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #9
Merlin_83
Merlin
Merlin_83's Avatar
United_States
260
Rep
607
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW M3 6MT w/ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
Hi Merlin,
In all fairness, you are mistaken about DCS; far from being gamey or arcade like - DCS prides itself on absolute realism and the learning curve for mastering aircraft and weapons systems is steep. Of course, you need to be interested in combat systems - it is not a civilian flight simulator.

For some examples of tutorials for various aircraft, have a look at Matt Wagner's YouTube page here: https://www.youtube.com/c/MattWagner/videos

Look for tutorials on specific systems.
Well, that's actually good to find out - Realism and making the sims 'hard' are what interest me more. DCS is a stand-alone game, correct? It is not an 'add-on' to MSFS, right?

Also, what is best - not ultra but best system spec's most people are using for DCS or the new MSFS? I've built 3 or for desktop tower computers, although the last time was at least 10 years ago. I would buy all the raw components on NewEgg.com and then assembly everything. If anyone could recommend CPU, Memory, Graphics Card, and especially monitor I would most appreciate it.

Cheers,
Merlin
__________________


2012 BMW M3|ZCP|6MT|Navi|Cold Weather Package |Premium Package|
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #10
BMWGUYinCO
Enlisted Member
349
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M550
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_83 View Post
Well, that's actually good to find out - Realism and making the sims 'hard' are what interest me more. DCS is a stand-alone game, correct? It is not an 'add-on' to MSFS, right?

Also, what is best - not ultra but best system spec's most people are using for DCS or the new MSFS? I've built 3 or for desktop tower computers, although the last time was at least 10 years ago. I would buy all the raw components on NewEgg.com and then assembly everything. If anyone could recommend CPU, Memory, Graphics Card, and especially monitor I would most appreciate it.

Cheers,
Merlin
Yes, DCS is a standalone platform. As for recommending components, it really depends on your budget.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 08:36 PM   #11
TurboSid
Brigadier General
TurboSid's Avatar
493
Rep
3,042
Posts

Drives: 2017 M4 MW/SO ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
FYI you can get Xbox Game Pass for PC for $1 for first month and MS Flight is on there. If you like it you can continue subscribing for $5 or buy the game separately.

Game pass gives you access to many more games so might be worth checking out.
__________________


2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD]
2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 04:17 AM   #12
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Dang3r's Avatar
Germany
5006
Rep
1,663
Posts

Drives: M4CPC
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Liandri Central Core

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
Yes, DCS is a standalone platform. As for recommending components, it really depends on your budget.
Additionally I would highly recommend not to buy the STEAM version but the direct download with limited freeware for first test.
If you feel comfy, look out for some extra sales on modules or aircrafts to save money. DCS wouldnt become very complex, as long as you are just flying the lighter stuff, but when entering the world of F14 and other very high detailed aircrafts, a lot of practicing and exercise would be the result before you would real enjoy.
__________________
M4CP - ZX12R LE - GPZ750 Turbo

I///M the infidel, your BMW-dealer had warned you about
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #13
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1681
Rep
1,515
Posts

Drives: Model 3, Mustang GT, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

I tried to play it. Wouldn't even get past the load screen. Reminds me why I rarely play shit on my PC anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 09:55 PM   #14
MR_X
Old guy
221
Rep
234
Posts

Drives: tricycle
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx

iTrader: (0)

BTW. DCS has all modules for free right now for the next week or so.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #15
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Dang3r's Avatar
Germany
5006
Rep
1,663
Posts

Drives: M4CPC
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Liandri Central Core

iTrader: (0)

Thats right and according to the newsletter they plan to extend this period for 2 more weeks
__________________
M4CP - ZX12R LE - GPZ750 Turbo

I///M the infidel, your BMW-dealer had warned you about
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 12:11 AM   #16
NorCalAthlete
Captain
NorCalAthlete's Avatar
United_States
1189
Rep
800
Posts

Drives: Various
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Thats right and according to the newsletter they plan to extend this period for 2 more weeks
Huh, they're showing 30-50% off for me but not free.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 12:45 PM   #17
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Dang3r's Avatar
Germany
5006
Rep
1,663
Posts

Drives: M4CPC
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Liandri Central Core

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Huh, they're showing 30-50% off for me but not free.
Actually you could do free trials for the whole lot. After the period has end, you have to buy. When you start the game, around 50 available downloads are appearing on top of the menu. Pick your choice, dl and play.
__________________
M4CP - ZX12R LE - GPZ750 Turbo

I///M the infidel, your BMW-dealer had warned you about
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 07:37 PM   #18
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
70
Rep
310
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Tried to play this, realized it would end up costing me about $700 in parts for my PC to be able to.. (GPU, RAM, and maybe PSU)

Wish they made a lite version for people that don't having gaming PCs
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:07 PM   #19
Rocket455
Grumpysaurus Rex
Rocket455's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: M340i /'72TransAm /'69Toronado
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
Been playing the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - I find the rendering engine, along with cloud based AI to generate scenery pretty impressive.

The weather effects are awesome - especially clouds and lighting.
Haven't played it, but the videos/trailers look unbelievable.
__________________
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. John Lennon
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 01:56 AM   #20
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
flybigjet's Avatar
United_States
2204
Rep
1,048
Posts

Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Littleton (Denver), CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2019 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2018 Acura RDX  [0.00]
2015 BMW R1200GS  [0.00]
2012 H-D VRSCF  [0.00]
2005 Honda Element  [0.00]
If you're going to play with a flight sim, go big or go home....
Attached Images
 

Last edited by flybigjet; 01-18-2021 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2021, 12:32 PM   #21
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Dang3r's Avatar
Germany
5006
Rep
1,663
Posts

Drives: M4CPC
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Liandri Central Core

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
If you're going to play with a flight sim, go big or go home....
No thanks, if its Boeing, Im not going
__________________
M4CP - ZX12R LE - GPZ750 Turbo

I///M the infidel, your BMW-dealer had warned you about
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #22
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
flybigjet's Avatar
United_States
2204
Rep
1,048
Posts

Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Littleton (Denver), CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2019 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2018 Acura RDX  [0.00]
2015 BMW R1200GS  [0.00]
2012 H-D VRSCF  [0.00]
2005 Honda Element  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
No thanks, if its Boeing, Im not going
Actually, it's a CAE.

https://www.cae.com/civil-aviation/a...ht-simulators/
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST