BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos A Mini-Coupe? Pics, Proposals, Speculation

12-04-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

A Mini-Coupe? Pics, Proposals, Speculation

portions of this thread courtesy of EniLab @ GCZ

A Mini-Coupe? Unofficial Confirmation

We have the MINI, MINI convertible, MINI wagon (Clubman) and soon to be MINI SUV. Since we know BMW is keen to grow the brand we have to ask ourselves, what’s next? Based on what sources are telling us, it could be a bit of a shock.

First lets take a look at the rumors from the past few years. For almost two years we’ve heard various rumors of some sort of Triumph branded roadster only to have them quashed by those in the know. Then there’s the MINI micro-car rumor that sprung recently along with talk of a new MW Issetta. However with European emissions legislation the driving force behind both of those concepts, it’s hard to really tell where they will go.

However we got some very interesting insight recently when speaking to a high level source at MINI about this very question. He mentioned that the roadster idea didn’t have a lot of backers in the company for various reasons. He then went on to leave us with this little nugget of info in the form a question: "What if MINI instead produced a low-slung and sleek small coupe not unlike the ACV 30 concept car from 1997?"

The ACV 30 (Anniversary Concept Vehicle 30) was originally based off of a concept (designed by the current BMW head of design Adrian Van Hooydonk) proposed as the new MINI in the mid-90s. Once it was out of the running (with Frank Stephenson’s design wining out and going on to become the R50) it was refitted and rolled out as a bit of a stop gap measure to show the public that a new MINI was indeed coming and the brand was still well alive. What it showed was that distinctive futuristic retro interior (similar to what eventually showed up in the R50) mated with a sleek, rally inspired exterior that traded some interior space for looks. Could that same formula work on a production car? Our source seemed to say the idea was at least on the table.

But one particularly noteworthy aspect of the ACV 30 is that it was mid-engined and rear-wheel drive since it was based off of the MGF roadster. While we doubt that that part of the concept would ever transfer to production (due to brand values, space efficiencies and cost), it would make for a very interesting concept.

Another thing to keep in mind - if MINI goes this route we don’t expect the eventual production car to look much like the ACV 30.

Source: MotoringFile/EniLab
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
Brookside
Major
Rep

You could say that the existing R50 is a coupe and technically that's right.
But...you get the gist of the article- a conventional non-hatch coupe seems to be in the pipe. This could be spectacular fun.
:biggrin:

Adrian Van Hooydonk's Mini ACV-30

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Let's make the Mini even more impractical! No thanks. I'm sure it could be fun, but so is a Miata, which happens to be RWD.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
Let's make the Mini even more impractical! No thanks. I'm sure it could be fun, but so is a Miata, which happens to be RWD.
Seems I heard the same grumblings about the 1-er coupe (watered down/impractical) before it became reality.
If there's a niche, the automobile industry will fill it...or invent it.
I love the idea of a mini-coupe.
Sincerely hope they go ahead and put it in the pipe.
:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #5
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
If there's a niche, the automobile industry will fill it...or invent it.
Who buys this, though? I mean, the Mini is already pretty darn small. This is something like a modern CRX and, if it were really light and really fuel efficient -- but still really fun -- I can see it selling like hotcakes.

This, though, will use the existing Mini platform and drivetrains, so it doesn't seem like there are a lot of efficiency gains to be realized.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

I think that's pretty damn cool. Reminds me of the bug eyed Austin Healey Sprites. Mini needs to move into the 21st century and use 5 lugnuts on the wheels though.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
Who buys this, though? I mean, the Mini is already pretty darn small. This is something like a modern CRX and, if it were really light and really fuel efficient -- but still really fun -- I can see it selling like hotcakes.

This, though, will use the existing Mini platform and drivetrains, so it doesn't seem like there are a lot of efficiency gains to be realized.
Good points. It won't be about efficiency in the way I think you mean it-
won't it really be simply another choice for the consumer...and more profit for BMW...for people who can't afford or don't want to buy the 1-er or a Miata?
I credit the 1-er coupe for starting this trend...and it even isn't here in the US yet.

I wonder if Audi will jump on the bandwagon and bring out a next-gen A3 coupe with Quattro....offer it coupled up with their 4-banger, some decent pricing and a usable back-seat to differenciate it from the TT
(maybe too much to hope for from Audi to get everything right) and give the 1-er a run in the marketplace.

I'm sold on the 1-er but I'd love to see some competition from other makes.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

I'd buy one. Just don't let it be based on the MG TF. The advantages of a hatchback are immeasurable in comparison to a roadster like the Miata. Plus, the Miata has too many problems itself for someone like myself to go crawling back to.