BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Yard freaks

06-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #485
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

It's my "Me time" and they took it away from me. Plus they don't know that front and back have different height settings, and I don't want to know that you edged by the grass there being white (cut too low) instead of looking like the mower reaches the edge.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #486
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Blue View Post
Yep. I'm all about low maintenance and not paying for a guy to come mow my yard and spread the weeds from his last job around.

This is Moses, as we've named him. This is before he was installed in the mulch patch behind him.

Definitely recommend the Husqvarna over other brands. I had a Worx Landroid for 2 years before it was stolen.

The Husqvarna's big advantages are that it's larger, dealer installed (HUGE advantage vs DIY), GPS tracked (anti-theft), its app actually works, it cuts better, and its overall just a more robust unit. This is the second largest one Husqvarna makes - adequate for my yard which is about 3/4 acre of actual grass.

Mows 7 days/wk from 9am-7pm. It mostly goes in random directions but the computers make sure it gets everything, and it splits the yard into sections so that it makes sure to get each area regularly. Doesnt get the last 10-12" before the curb, so i mow around the edge with my regular mower every other week - as hot as it gets down here, this is a huge win in my book.

The razor blade cut is nice. I replace them about once a month.

Also, I replaced my Rainbird with a Rachio sprinkler controller. Paid for itself in the first summer just on rain-skips alone. It talks to weather stations through wifi and can skip not only if it has rained, but if its about to.

I do wish there was a robotic edger and fertilizer spreader.
Very cool! Is this the 430x?

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #487
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
Looks like that is what it says under auto mower.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #488
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I watched a couple of additional videos and, like anything, there are pros and cons. The biggest negative that made me stop watching and rule out further thinking about it is that they seem to cut grass to 2.5 inches. Maybe there is a newer version that cuts higher but I wasn’t motivated to research further.

Replacing my lawn guy because he cuts the grass too short with a machine that cuts it too short doesn’t seem like a good strategy, particularly when I thought about how I’d still need to deal with the lawn edges and hedge maintenance. Anyway, it’s will be sort of interesting to see how these develop further over time.
There is a new one that cuts up to 3.6"
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410874.50
      06-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #489
Deep_Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
Thanks. Yep. Husqvarna phased out the older 430x with the circular headlights. This is the one with the newer LED headlights.
I dont know why a robot that doesnt have a camera needs headlights at all... maybe for people walking in the yard?

I keep it on the lowest setting - our grass is bermuda
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #490
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Blue View Post
Yep. I'm all about low maintenance and not paying for a guy to come mow my yard and spread the weeds from his last job around.

This is Moses, as we've named him. This is before he was installed in the mulch patch behind him.

Definitely recommend the Husqvarna over other brands. I had a Worx Landroid for 2 years before it was stolen.

The Husqvarna's big advantages are that it's larger, dealer installed (HUGE advantage vs DIY), GPS tracked (anti-theft), its app actually works, it cuts better, and its overall just a more robust unit. This is the second largest one Husqvarna makes - adequate for my yard which is about 3/4 acre of actual grass.

Mows 7 days/wk from 9am-7pm. It mostly goes in random directions but the computers make sure it gets everything, and it splits the yard into sections so that it makes sure to get each area regularly. Doesnt get the last 10-12" before the curb, so i mow around the edge with my regular mower every other week - as hot as it gets down here, this is a huge win in my book.

The razor blade cut is nice. I replace them about once a month.

Also, I replaced my Rainbird with a Rachio sprinkler controller. Paid for itself in the first summer just on rain-skips alone. It talks to weather stations through wifi and can skip not only if it has rained, but if its about to.

I do wish there was a robotic edger and fertilizer spreader.

Well since you have an irrigation system just add fertigation to it. It's an in ground unit that injects liquid fertilizer. All you have to do is swap the bottle out every now and then.
https://www.landscapemanagement.net/fertigation-an-efficient-way-to-feed/
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #491
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

When I planted this Red Crape Myrtle last Spring 2018, it literally only had one or two blooms the entire Summer. Definitely a sign of shock in transplanting it. But after putting in 2 Miracle-Gro fertilizer spikes back in March, and watering it regularly, well, the results speak for themselves. It is BURSTING with Flowers! :-)

06-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #492
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

I also really enjoy planting flowers and plants and creating my own unique arrangements.
Here's my latest for our back patio. I used 3 for it...

06-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #493
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

growing up as a kid my Mom would always be gardening outside and I always helped. not that I liked it, but as a reward I would be able to go outside to the local park and play with my friends. who knew 40 years later I would end up loving this shit! so much i'm watching gardening YouTube videos like one of my fav's right now "Garden Answer"
with Laura. the wifey worries sometimes lol, the kids make fun of me i'm watching lawn videos of dudes cutting grass that all I can hear is "dad, are you seriously watching on your 70" LED a guy cutting his grass?" me: ugh...yeah?! than out loud I can hear them yelling to their mom..."Mom, Dad use to watch cool car videos and car builds and turbos and nitrous and big monster trucks! now he's been watching an awful lot of dudes cutting grass? I think he's getting old?"
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13651.00
      06-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #494
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

My journey to old-dude gardening heaven started way back when. During summer, dad always made me do at least 4 hours of yard work every day during summer breaks.
"But dad, all my buddies, and their rides, go to the beach about 10. How can I do four hours BEFORE I go?"
"Better get up early then, son"

Also, my almost maniacal hatred of weeds comes from that same source. As well as sweeping the gutters in front of the house.

No, I haven't made such a crushing blow to my children, they are free to continue watching hot babes do car repairs, if that blows up their dress.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #495
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I don't want to count my cados before they guac, but I'm thinking my fur is going to be pretty shiny in a few months
Attached Images

06-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #496
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Smile

My Summer Annuals are finally planted along with fresh annual Mulch!

My grass is deep green and thick (that yellow is my neighbors)! Overall, my family and I are VERY pleased.

06-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #497
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
I'd just like to say that you guys have basically just hooked me on another decently pricey obsession. Thanks a lot.

I'll share pics when I'm proud enough lol.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13651.00
      06-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #498
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmeezer View Post
Hydrangea (Incrediball) explosion and Asiatic Lily.
Awesome
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #499
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Good thing I cut the grass yesterday as forecast shows rain for the next few days. Can the lawn still get fungus even tho it's been raining for days but the temperatures haven't gotten above 70 degrees? I know a few reasons what causes fungus but it hasn't been hot enough yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #500
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

First harvest. Volunteer taters and peas. I see a lovely omelette on Mondays dinner menu
Attached Images

wrickem2101.00
      06-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #501
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
I'd just like to say that you guys have basically just hooked me on another decently pricey obsession. Thanks a lot.

I'll share pics when I'm proud enough lol.
Bro, I picked up this habit from my dad and I don’t regret it. Been at it for 5 years!
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #502
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Bro, I picked up this habit from my dad and I don’t regret it. Been at it for 5 years!
I've never liked yard work and not sure I will, but I take possession of my house in about 4 months and would really like to keep the grass green and lush (at least until I can replace the back lawn with a pool!) so I'm hoping it becomes something I can enjoy - or at least take pride in the results.

Closer to the time I'll be looking for solid tips and advice on how to keep grass green and lush in Texas.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #503
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

my watermelon seedlings didn't make it, looks like i'll be planting pumpkins.
      06-17-2019, 01:58 PM   #504
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
my watermelon seedlings didn't make it, looks like i'll be planting pumpkins.
I'm seeing little baby melons now. I failed on the calabacitas, but found some in a little pot at HD yesterday. Threw a pumpkin in the middle, but afraid it may be too early and the pumpkin will be ripe about mid-August.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #505
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Put some 10-10-10 fertilizer in all the flower beds, shrubs and trees. Suppose to get more rain these next couple of days
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #506
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

What is this "rain" of which you speak?
Appreciate 0